Belly Dancing!

jcm

Cathlete
Wow! I just went to a Fret Music Festival here and watched some belly dancers perform - up close. Was just blown away by the fine muscle movements in their hips/abs/chest! I also felt a boost of confidence watching their belly fat jiggle a bit with all that hip action!! As a runner it's so off my radar - and I'm by no means a dancer, can't even handle step - but I'm fascinated!! And these women seemed so comfortable and so beautiful with all of their different body types! I'm inspired. Anybody with experience in this area?

Jen

After my cancer treatment I took a summer's worth of 'American Tribal Style' belly dance. To see what I'm talking about, search YouTube for 'ATS' and/or 'Fat Chance Belly Dance'.

I was trying to earn myself some body image acceptance after everything I had been through. Women of all sizes and ages belly dance.

Fun Fact! Having some jelly on your belly and hips makes shimmying easier and is actually quite sexy.

Some people are really quite bothered/threatened when they witness not-so-small women are enjoying their bodies.

I don't have experience with Belly Dancing, but I find it very exotic, beautiful, and so much fun! The women are incredible, and have this amazing sense of confidence and sexuality that I admire greatly. I would absolutely die if given the chance to visit India :eek:. I am truly fascinated by the culture, religion, cuisine, customs.

Now, would I ever Belly Dance myself? It would definitely take me above and beyond my comfort zone :eek:. Bottom line: it looks amazing and YES I would try it :eek:.

I have accumlated a few BellyDance instructional DVDs and I plan to spend some time this summer doing them. I think besides being fun, there will gains in balance and flexibility in the hips (which I need). I don't think I will ever do the dancing in front of anyone else.

Anybody else tried learning BellyDancing from DVDs?

There was a TV series called 'Shimmy' on the Fitness Channel. They might gave some DVDs. I used ATS/Fat Chance Belly Dance DVDs to supplement my lessons.

When I gave up the dancing, I sold them all. Seems you can't dance everyday, do a generous 70-minute cathe workout, ride a horse, walk the dog, and have a job all at the same time.

Oh well. When I look at the pictures, I feel silly about the whole thing. I'm not exactly exotic! ;-)

Last edited:
I agree eminenz2, time to fit everything is difficult :eek: That is why I am thinking summer, be through the time of year when I work long hours.

Dancing is fun and genrally leaves me feeling happier and the stress from the day has melted away. I find this more so with non-western dance, as it feels more free form.

Thanks for the suggestions of TV/DVDs. I am going to check them out.

I have never tried Belly Dancing but over at VF there have been some positive threads about BellyFit Elements. The instructor is Alice Bracegirdle.

Looks like these are not only belly dancing. Pilates, Yoga, Bollywood etc.

Last edited:
I was just so inspired by the fine muscle movements required and the beautiful confidence these women had! Maybe just something fun to try - if I have the guts to do it!!

And eminenz2 - my daughter would pick riding a horse over absolutely anything else. She's taken lessons periodically over the last 6 years and nothing makes her happier. She literally has HUNDREDS of horse pictures on her walls. She has aspergers and I think there is something that reaches her on a deep level when she's with horses :)

Jen

Jen,

Of course, there's no contest where my real life is. Always with the horses. Always.

There is something indescribable about horses that touches our very souls. Children are especially receptive to the non-judgement, patience, and acceptance a horse gives. They can truly be our mirrors. Their willingness to tolerate our nonsense and quirks and just be in the moment.

Why they let us ride them, I'll never know. What an honor to be carried like royalty. (Even when they do occasionally act like brats. ;-) )

Thanks Zenara25 for your recommendation of BellyFit!

I forgot that I been given a copy of Bellyfit-Earth and have never used it. Today was a lite workout day, and I did this one. Fun, stress-reducing, woke my body up from a late night in my office, and good for the hips. Definitely will be using in the future.

How different are the others in the set? Worth buying if only have Bellyfit-Earth?

She has aspergers and I think there is something that reaches her on a deep level when she's with horses :)

Jen

Some years ago I listened to an episode of 'All in the mind' called 'Nature deficit disorder: the mind in urban combat'. I wonder if she is subtly responding to both the horses and just the fact of being outside too. I am related to several people on the autistic spectrum and with other special needs so I found that particular episode to be very interesting.

I've heard of the nature deficit thing. I also read an article once about how parks that actually don't have play equipment are better for kids - use their imagination. She got around horses years ago because we started her in therapeutic riding. She's high functioning (most of her issues are just sensory and social) so she's taking regular riding too. If she had her way we'd live on a farm! The school my kids are in - and I'm sure many others - has several internet sites the kids are supposed to do after school for math and reading. My kids don't do them. After being at school they need to be OUTSIDE. And people can't figure out what's going on with kids (obesity, hyper ... don't get me started).

Oh, and just for fun I looked up how to do some belly dance "moves" on Youtube. I look like an idiot. And a stiff one at that ;)

Hi! Had to pop in, I love BD. I don't have time to even begin to express how much fun I've had. See if you can find live classes- rec centers, gyms, dance studios. I've developed an wonderful relationships with my shimmy sisters. World Dance has a lot of DVDs (Total Fitness) and I have several not to mention I've been an at home exerciser for a jillion years, but dancing in a class has been the most fun. And if you live in WPB FL area find Dawn Rhys. She teaches classes all over, includes choreography, has performance opportunities, etc. Simply addictive, you will love it and every week you will do better and better. Best wishes!
ps, BD come in all sizes but Dawn's troupe is pretty fit!

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.