Beginner's Rotation Clean Eating/Weights Check-in

RE: No workout here either

FFD,

I wasn’t really saying that consuming ground beef is a good idea to raise your calorie intake, quite the opposite. I hadn’t realized how ‘bad’ it was, calorie wise speaking then. Do you find that as a vegetarian you have a problem consuming enough/too little calories on a daily basis? By the way one more ‘snack’ suggestion that I’ve read about in other posts: peanut butter sandwiches (yummy!!!:9)

Del

I got up and exercised this morning (weights) and also a mile walk with the dog before going to work. Bad morning at work though and went and got a cheeseburger (but fruit on the side instead of chips) instead of eating my frozen WW lunch. But planning salad w/ grilled chicken for dinner so hopefully not too much of a disaster. Tomorrow morning is my weekly WW weigh-in. Eeeeeeck! What happened to everyone else?? I think it is mostly the 3 of us (me & FFD & Del).

Checking In!

Hi Marie!

Don't forget me! :)

I did the Upper Body & Ab add on. I just love the ball workout on the Basic Step DVD! It is so wicked hot & humid here and the AC won't be fixed until Thursday! I can't bring myself to do the cardio until then....

~kandy~[/img]http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif[/img]

Marie,

I did not work out today either - think I was expecting DOMS from MIS but do not have it (yet). Maybe this means I can add more weight!

I had a GREAT day of clean eating - I actually had to stop by the grocery store, and that had cookie samples, and I didn't want any! Not that I had to resist the urge, which is usually the case, but I really didn't want it! It was great!

Del, I hear ya about the beef. I find that being vegetarian will probably make it more challenging to eat cleanly on higher calorie days (I could easily eat non-cleanly!). I have been eating Zone and Luna bars, which I like, as well as adding more fruit and some fat.
I am also awaiting the Dr. Furhman book which has been on the forums for awhile, so I can't wait to see what I learn from it...

Hope

RE: Checking In!

Hi everyone:

My workouts have been great! The food... not so great x( I'm working on it... I'm so in awe of people who can faithfully stay on their Weight Watchers programs (or whatever program). I think the trick is to make it a game (or challenge).

So far on the new Cathe DVDs (I ordered all three) I've done all the programs on the beginner DVD. The upper body work with the bands is a killer! It's going to take me a while to be able to use the bands.

RE: Checking In!

Yesterday I faithfully did PS Back, Biceps & Abs in the morning and StepMax in the evening. I don’t have any DOMS in my upper arms or back today either but I’m in a bit of a dubio as to whether I should increase the weight. I think that sometimes I don’t do the exercise as intensively as I could, thereby reducing their effectiveness. For example, Sunday I did PS Strong Legs & Abs and I really felt it in my hamstrings the next day. The week before, however, I didn’t feel my hamstrings at all..... strange.

Del

RE: check in

Hi All!
No exercise this morning :( but staying in bed that extra hour felt soooooooooooooo good. Just a very stressful day at work Tuesday and drained. Had WW mtg this morning so didn't take the dog for a walk either. But lost 2.2 of the pounds I gained last week. Hormone fluctuations I think. DH said the temp and humidity dropped so maybe tonight we can walk the dog although looking like rain on and off for quite awhile again. I work out upstairs and the AC doesn't help so summers are brutal up there. May have to find workouts I can do in the Living Room during this time. Have any of you tried the BOdy Fusion yet? If so, what are your thoughts?

Not a vegetarian but I think it is easier to get protein now then it had been. So many protein drinks, bars, meat substitutes - and of course, tere is always peanut or other nuts/butter. Eggs also good but depends on the type of vegan diet. Have a step daughter that is sometimes vegan.

Good morning everyone! I'll start out the check-in today with my workout. I got up and did Power Hour. A little longer than I had time for even with skipping the warm up and just going through the reiceps but a great workout. Hoping for some DOMS tomorrow so I know I worked these muscles!!! Now to stick with eating clean and healthy for the day.............. Will do my best!! Have a good day. Happy exercising!!!!

Hi Marie:

I really like Power Hour altho I haven't done it for about a month now. I'm not sure what I'll do tonight... Maybe the beginner lower body and stability ball abs. I have Baby Angelina by myself tonight because hubby has class until 9:30 PM. Hopefully Angel will go to bed at her usual 8:30.

Weighed myself this morning – haven’t lost any weight despite 2 works of zigzagging and working out 5-6 times a week. I’m disappointed but I can’t say completely surprised. I’m still struggling with my ‘low calorie’ days; I take in way too many calories during dinnertime. Over the years I’ve grown accustomed to eating little during the day and then stuffing myself at dinner. I thought I could reach my goal of 1300 calories per day by simply eating smaller portions of what I always ate but I’ll probably have to switch to lighter recipes which will be more of a hassle.

Del

Del,
Be patient and just keep doing your workouts and the best that you can with eating!

I got up and did some Tae Bo this morning but very tired so that impacted my motivation to push myself. Just the right amount of DOMS from Power Hour yesterday. Got some ideas from the Forum for other weight workouts to try that might better fit the time I have in the morning. Got up 3 mornings this week. Can I do 4 (or 5) next week?? Stay tuned!

How is everyone else doing? Have a good weekend!

Hello all -

I'm doing terrible right now - lots of circumstances, like all my friends moving away to start post-doctoral jobs (which means a lot of going out for good-bye drinks), and i DEFEND MY DISSERTATION ON MONDAY! YIKES!!!

My plan is to do my absolute best with clean eating tomorrow and Sunday, and do MIC on one day and MIS on another. Monday I will get this thing over with, go out with friends and enjoy myself and then start my life focusing again on my eating/exercise goals, only then I'll be post-dissertation! YAY! And I got several new Cathe videos yesterday that I'm saving until Monday is over!

I'm ok with it all right now, seems overly harsh to be too hard on myself right now. And I'm not totally allowing myself to lose control.

I'll let you know how it goes!

FFD,

Good luck on Monday!!!! By, the way, which vid’s did you get? I’m rapidly building up to a video shopping spree myself so I could use some advice. I desperately need some new strength vids – I was thinking of ‘Legs & Glutes’, ‘Max Intensity Strength’ and ‘Body Max’.

Del

Del,

Thanks! I'm actually watching Body Max right now to prepare myself, and the initial step work and circuit part in the middle look like they are going to be tough! Then, what follows is weight work that actually looks very similar to MIS although she uses less weight and its shorter. Body Max is long (90 minutes) but looks like a plateau buster if you have time to do it once a week. MIS is only strength (no cardio), but is longer and probably harder than Body Max (although, you have been doing cardio first in Body Max, so the weight work that follows would likely be really tough due to exhaustion!). The ab section in Body Max looks a little more thorough (more lower abs than MIS which I need!)

I am liking MIS and am excited about trying to do it twice a week (only at once right now). I was reading a thread about P90X though, and it seems that if you want to build bigger muscle (as opposed to just improving endurance) you should consider slow and heavy (do you have this one yet?). I actually think Cathe's more endurance focus is going to build strength for me and I'm going to like the way it makes my muscles look, so I'm sticking with her for now.

I haven't gotten to view or try the other videos I bought (Power Max, Step Works, Power Hour, and Intensity Max) but I'll let you know what I think as soon as I try these (next week). Unfortunately, I don't know anything about Legs and Glutes. Its so fun to do a shopping spree! I know someday I'll replace my vids with DVDs, but my excitement is so high right now, and my funds limited, and Cathe offers great discounts on videos! Let me know what you ordered!

Hope

Hi FFD and everyone else,
Good luck on Monday!!! I'll be thinking of you and looking forward to hearing how everything went. You have quite a collection started already. I will be anxious to hear what you think of MIS. I bought the DVD to get MIS but did Power Hour first and just love it. Just a no nonsense, not much equipment, thorough workout! Someday I want to get the Pure Strength set - SH looks too long for me. Although I keep hoping Cathe will do a newer one similar that will have premixes.

Saturday and no workout - had a wedding shower this morning. Tomorrow is a picnic (weather permitting) but it is at the zoo so there would be alot of walking along with the eating.

Thanks for the support, Del and Marie!!! Did MIC tonight, although I had to stop it several times. I recently got the Eat to Live book (there was a big thread about it recently), and although I definitely think you could lose weight (basically, you eat fruit for lunch, and huge amounts of salad or veggies for lunch and dinner with no snacks) I don't think you can do intense workouts on the diet. I just had no energy for MIC (and I had more carbs than Dr. Fuhrman recommended) and its no fun to workout without energy. Don't know if I'll incorporate it in the zigzag plan (was going to try it on the 1300 calorie days). Del, I have been wondering about whether the high calorie days are too high? I am going to try 1300 as my low end, and 1800-2000 for the high end.

Also, I also used to try to eat light during the day, and was always ravenous to the point of uncontrollable snacking at night. Although it was really hard to believe that eating more for lunch and breakfast would help, it did!

Good luck with Sunday workouts!

Hi everyone,

Marie1120, I have the PS series and I can honestly say that those tapes did more for me than any other vids so far. I really like their pace and the fact that there is a lot of stretching throughout. I’ve been doing them for about 5 months now and I still have DOMS each and every time I do them!!!

FFD, I’ve been going through my list of ‘have-to-have video’s’ for the zillionth time and I think I’m going to get ‘Legs & Glutes’ and ‘Body Max’ for lower and upper body strength. I already have a couple of Cathe’s step vids so I think I’ll try Voight’s ‘Energy Sprint’ and for an all body workout that’s a bit different ‘’Strength Express’ by Mindy Mylrea. As for the zigzagging, I think I’m going to stick to 2500 calories on my high days for another 4 weeks. If I haven’t seen any results by then, I’ll lower it as well.

Have a great Sunday,
Del

Hi Everyone,
Weekend is almost over (sigh!!). Thanks for the info on PS. Do any of you have any thoughts on if it would be better to do 3 total body workouts in a week or 1 total body and a more intense upper and lower body (2-3 days)? Today I did weights in the morning and then off to the zoo for the picnic. Put on my new pedometer (compliments of McDonalds but it seems pretty accurate) and between that and a walk with the dog I did over 11,000 steps! The booklet says 10,000 a day should be your goal and that equals 5 miles. So happy the rain stayed away. Now we'll see how I can do this week.

I successfully defended my dissertation! It went pretty well - some tough questions but I think I handled it well. You guys will laugh at this, I actually brought my Cathe catalogue that came with an order with me while I defended, and felt better during the presentation when I glanced at it! Maybe I'm going overboard with this Cathe thing (no way!). She's just so encouraging and for some reason, it helped (plus it was great to realize all my future workouts with Cathe will be minus dissertation stress!)

Will go out tonight and not worry about calories (and I wonder why the scale won't budge) and then recommit to trying clean eating and more frequent aerobics. Thanks for the support! It seems like everyone is really hanging in there, and this is now my favorite forum to check when I log into Cathe!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.