Beginner's Rotation Clean Eating/Weights Check-in

RE: check in

Congratulations FFD!
I was thinking about you today and wondering how this went! By all means go out and celebrate and don't worry about those calories for tomorrow you can do that Cathe workout you've been longing for!!! I love that you brought the Cathe catalog with you - but we need to do whatever works for us. When I get stressed out at work I do a quick log in to the forum to read a couple threads or to the Humane Society and check out the dogs.

Wish I could report a good workout but only good intentions. We live in an apt and the bldg fire alarm woke us at 2am. We needed to go outside and wait for the fire dept to come and clear everything. All was ok but got back in at 3 and just couldn't get up at 4. I'm sure tomorrow will be better - now I have to keep up with you and your dissertation stress free working out. You will be a fitness dynamo!!

Enjoy your celebration!!

Hi Everyone!
I'm back. Did you see the Fast 53 weight loss rotation? Interesting. Now I need to go walk the dog. Later.

Hi Everyone!
Where are you all and dwhat are you up to? No workout again yesterday because of a late visit with my step daughter to the ER. She is ok but another night with only a couple hours of sleep. But did go for a walk with the dog last evening. This morning up and did Cardio Sculpt (Hollywood Trainers finally arrived) and a nice little 45 min workout. Still need to try Body Fusion - hopefully Friday? Had my WW check-in and down 1.8#s. Hope this isn't just a fluke.

Hope you are all doing ok. But even if you are struggling, check in anyway. We are here to help each other.

Hi everyone! COngrats on your weight loss, Marie!!! Hope your stepdaughter is ok! I'm sitting here wondering which of my new Cathe workouts to do tonight. I actually have a question for everyone - how much Cathe cardio are you currently doing every week? I have all these new videos, and I'm so excited, but I have to remember that its all really advanced and I don't want to kill myself or end up with an injury (what I'm really hoping you'll say is you do Cathe everyday and feel great! but realistically, this may not be the case...)

Did great with clean eating. I tried the Eat to Live plan with a minor modification of having a little dairy, and feel full and energized. Upon looking at the plan again, I think the unlimited fruit will supply enough energy for workouts! Think I'll do one of my new CTX series videos...

New chick here!!!

Hello everyone,

I hope that I can join you. I received my Cathe DVDs today although they shipped High Step Advanced instead of Basic Step + Body Fusion. I called customer service and a new one is being sent and was told to keep High Step Advanced.

My name is Donna and I have been an inconsistent FIRM user for about 5 years or so. Last year, I lost 25lbs in 4 months using the FIRM and WW. However, I took a really stressful job (actually one full time one and two adjunct teaching positions) and my weight climbed back up 15lbs. I am part of the FIRM Ya Yas board and heard everyone talking about the new beginner/intermediate Cathe DVDs so I thought I would give them a try. My ultimate goal is to lose 55lbs by my 32nd birthday next March. For now, I am trying to follow the Beginner Cathe Rotation (once Basic Step arrives) and continue doing WW.

I am a Ph.D. candidate at Ohio State and will be returning in August to finish my dissertation. Congrats to FFD for making it through the hazing process...what you've accomplished is only done by 2% of the population so it is a big achievement. Way to go.

Donna

RE: New chick here!!!

Hi Everyone,
Welcome Donna!! I think you will fit right into this group. Same weight loss goals as you and also in WW so feel free to share how this is going plus your workouts, questions, etc. Look forward to hearing how you are doing with everything
Did Tae Bo this morning. Love kickboxing with step next favorite cardio and good to do different things. Hoping to finally try Body Fusion tomorrow.
SD is fine. You would think (hope!) at 22 (almost 23) she would know that sleeping in your contacts can cause problems and is not too bright. At least she does well in classes - just common sense, logical stuff is very lacking.
Weekend is almost here. Yeah!! A very long week.
Marie

Donna,

Glad you're joining us! I remember the excitement of getting my first Cathe videos (are these your first?). I was using the Firm too, and it still is a nice alternative when you need something a little easier. What are you studying?

Need help guys - I'm in a pattern of avoiding my goals - energy slump and sleep deprivation are part of it, but I'm concerned I'm making excuses too. Haven't been really keeping up with progress or committing to a definite plan. I did a CTX vid for the first time, and although I liked it, its sometimes so hard to start a new video! You know you have to do it several times before you get the hang of it, and I have 11 other new Cathes staring me in the face! Perhaps in the future I should order a little more gradually!

I figured this was definitely the place to get some help. Its not that I'm feeling guilty necessarily, but just like my motivation is just burning a little low and could use some kindling...

Thanks in advance!

Welcome Donna!

Sorry ladies that I've not been on the board for a while. Both my daughter and husband have been sick. And I have a demanding full-time job. I've been zonked. Barely any workouts, altho I did do Body Fusion on Tuesday. I LOVE THAT WORKOUT! I'll be doing it again tonight.

My eating has been so-so. Haven't gained, but haven't lost.

Hi All!
Finally Friday - yahoo!!!!
FFD - Maybe you are just emotionally exhausted from preparing for your dissertation. Don't beat yourself up just listen to your body and do whatever you can. Maybe start by previewing the workouts. That helps me. I hate doing one without previewing it. Are there other activity options to workouts? Walking, etc??? I'm sure you'll get better. After all, you have all of us to answer to!! :)

I have had a rough week so slept in this morning. But did take the dog for a nice walk before work and weather permitting will tonight too. Not the Body Fusion I was hoping to do but at least some activity. And living in Wisconsin need to enjoy the outside when we can but this year has been very rainy and opportunities have been limited.

Have a good healthy eating, working out weekend!!! Well, the best that you can do at least!!!

FFD - I can definitely relate to avoiding your goals. I was sent the wrong Cathe video which threw me for a loop and I haven't exercised for the last two days. I have spent the good part of my adult life avoiding my fitness goals and using school as a crutch for why I'm not consistent with working out, etc. Plus, I am a serious stress eater and the job I just recently quit was more than a notion. I'd say just commit to doing something toward your goal. It doesn't need to be a full rotation. Maybe if you just commit to 15 minutes of activity and it might inspire you to do more. That's the approach I need to take as well so don't feel like you are alone in this.

I am working on a Ph.D. in Cultural Studies in Education. Basically, I am an educational historian and I focus on how politics and social change affect college curriculum. I am returning to Ohio State so that I can write my dissertation distraction free. Here at home in California, I have too many things to get in the way.

I plan to graduate in August 2005 so I have to get focused and honestly, I think that if I put as much effort into eating right and exercising as I do my schoolwork, I will surpass my goal by graduation. I have lived through my education but once that's done, I still need my health to keep living. So now health and school are my two biggest priorities.

Donna

Thanks Marie and Donna!

I managed to do Stepworks today for the first time, and it felt great to be back in the swing. I was not as energetic as usual, but like you both said, proud that I got up and moved. And I think you're right Marie, I might be in a dissertation slump (who'd have expected that?)

Marie, what kind of dog do you have? You always talk about walking your dog, and I was just wondering...)

Donna, I actually found sticking to working out this past year easier than in previous years - maybe the required focus on a goal transfered over a little to fitness. Plus, exercise does so much to reduce stress! Good luck!

Hope (my real name)

Success, finally!

Hi guys,

Sorry I haven’t checked in, had a hectic week. I do have fantastic news however. I got on the scale this morning and I’ve lost 3, 5 lbs!!!! Just hope it’s for real and not just a fluctuation. This week I did the entire PS series and cardio 2x45 minutes but I think what really made the difference was that I really stuck with my diet.
Hope, I’ve had my fair share of motivational dips as well. I had one about a year ago. I had just finished my masters’ thesis which I had been working on for quite some time and it felt as if everything that I had built up around me in that time - the routine, the staff at the university, just everything - suddenly vanished into thin air. In the end I managed to get a grip on myself again but it did take some time.

Del

RE: Success, finally!

Congratulations, Del!!! I know you were feeling some doubt a little while back, but great job pushing through that and being consistent! What do you think about the PS series, by the way? Its actually even more encouraging that you didn't have to do outrageous cardio to lose the weight - I want to do more strength training, but I'm fighting the mindset that if I devote a whole workout to strength, my progress will be slower...

Have a great weekend!

Hi Everyone,
Sounds like all of you are doing great!! Congratulations Del on losing that weight - that is wonderful news. Good job Hope (FFD) getting through Stepworks. Just keep at it and I'm sure you'll get back into a regular routine. I didn't do a formal workout just took the dog for a long walk. The weather is great here today (for me at least) - 60 degrees and sunny. I'm sure we will be doing another one later too.
Hope - Our dog (Muggs) is a pug/fox terrier mix. Very cute (pug body and coloring with a longer nose and legs)and high energy. He loves food and has the body to show for that!! The vet said he needs to lose a few pounds. So I am trying to get that extra walk in for both of us! Too bad I can't train him to do Cathe workouts.
We have the family here tomorrow for Father's Day. I am going to have alot of fresh fruit so there will be something healthy at least.

Hope, I know what you mean. It just seems more commonsensical that you would lose weight faster doing cardio rather than strength training. When you go through the other treads though, I get the impression that some people respond better to cardio and other better to weight training. Cedi (from Cathe’s vids) for example, says that she got better results by concentrating on weight training. As I said earlier, I’m really pleased with the PS series. The pace isn’t too fast and there’s stretching throughout. Afterwards you feel like you’ve had a good work-out but your not completely wiped-out. I probably won’t get to work out much the coming week (work & exams) so I hope I don’t squander the progress I’ve made!!!! I’ll check in again later this week.

Del

Del,

Just keep with your clean eating (which can be more challenging when studying) and you'll probably keep your progress really well. I'm really starting to face the fact that unless I clean up my eating on a consistent basis, I'll continue to see less progress tha I'd like, even doing Cathe all the time. I'm trying a strategy of everytime I find myself considering a cheat food, stopping and thinking of how I know I'll feel afterwards and how one whole workout would likely be wasted just burning it off. I think this will help me distinguish from when I really want that cheat food (in which case, I'll have it), or just kind of want it. It already worked twice yesterday, and is actually working right now (my boyfriend is eating Cheetos about 5 feet away from me - my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE JUNK FOOD! Thankfully, he just closed the bag. If I hadn't been writing you guys, who knows what would have happened! (I'm joking a little - I don't want to become too obsessed!))

ON a workout note, I tried Cathe's kickbox CTX workout yesterday for the first time, despite feeling tired, and I LOVED IT! I've never done her kickboxing, but it was really fun and low impact (nice alternative) and my whole upper body is feeling it today. Still haven't decided what workout to do today. Want to do MIC, but feel a little plantar faciitis coming on, so may choose something less straining...

Marie - Muggs sounds adorable!

Hi All,
No workout on Monday but did wake up ad workout this morning. Just got BB Power Half Hour and id the abs this morning. Weather is great but had to get to work early so Muggs didn't get his walk (me either). Hopefully tonight. Just happy I got up and exercised - that bed felt so good this morning. Eating ok, I think. Tomorrow is the WW meeting and weigh in.

FFD - yes Muggs is adorable and very spoiled!

Helpful experience

Hi guys,

I did Interval Max for the first time yesterday morning, and WOW! IT was awesome! Clean eating has sucked though - I'm not putting in as much effort as I could. But I found out about something today that might be something for you guys to look into. Where I work, we have a nutritionist on staff, and she has this tool called a Body Gem that calculates your resting metabolic rate (or what you burn in a day just breathing and maintaining body functions). The great thing is, its totally personalized, rather than being a chart or formula that gives you an estimate. You breathe into it and it calculates your rate of breath exchange, which is directly tied to calorie burning. Mine was 1420! So, just to stay alive, I need that many calories, and if I drop below it, I'm messing up my metabolism (and consequently, my weight loss efforts). Factoring other activity (like driving, walking around, working) I need 1900!!! I never knew it was so much! And on exercise days, it rises to 2500! I have been totally underestimating the amount of calories I need - I'm so glad I know this now!

I don't know how much it would cost with other nutritionists, but I paid $30, which was great for the useful information I gained. Could be something to check out!!!

RE: Helpful experience

Hi Everyone,
Where has everyone been and what are you doing? I have not had a great week. Most of my exercise has just been walking the dog but that is better than nothing. Another week is about to start and I will strive to do better. Did lose .2#s at my WW weigh in - not great but something. I had the Body Gem test done but can't remember what the result was - something in the 1400s though. I also had another similar test (New Leaf). I need to find these and see how the results compared. Right now I am just focusing on trying to eat healthy and make good choices most of the time. But I also need to be getting out of bed in the morning and moving!!! Have a good weekend. Keep moving and eating healthy!!!

RE: Helpful experience

Hi everyone,

Just read through this thread and wow, I should be here. My eating was great for a while but then I went on vacation June 1 and have been out of control foodwise ever since. Seems like the exercise is no problem but clean eating is the challange for a lot of us.

FFD way way back you made a post about the body gem RMR measurement. I have been looking for that service for months now! I use BalanceLog software program which is a nutrition tracking program based on a measured RMR. I can't find anyone offering the service in my area though ;(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.