Barbell vs dumbbell (advice please)

mini-natty

Cathlete
Hello everyone!

I was going to put off buying a barbell and just use my dumbbell's instead, but it seems as though so many video's use them! Am I missing out? With the release of Les Mills Pump Beachbody, I am very intrigued. You get the whole set w/barbell for under $200! All the barbell's I want to buy are well over $100. Also I have the added challenge of convincing my husband I need another piece of fitness equipment (even though mine DO NOT collect dust). Unfortunately he does not understand that although I do not physically go to a gym, I use our home as a substitution and require new equipment/video's to remain physically fit. Very frustrating, but that's a whole other story.

So back to my question, is a barbell a worthwhile investment? Who makes due with just dumbbells? I love lifting weights. I feel so strong and empowered. I love the challenge. Bottom line: muscles are hot!

Advice please & thank you!

(also, if anyone from Canada is reading this and has a barbell, where did you get yours for a reasonable price? On-line or in-store?)

Don't buy a threaded one..

I have a 20 pd, 5 ft threaded Cap brand barbell and hate using it for barbell video workouts-it's too big for aerobic work and it's awkward to quickly change plates. I'm also looking at buying an aerobic type barbell set.

I'm waiting for this to come back in stock....

Troy Barbell Lite Workout Set | Wayfair

but my patience is limited! Also this set doesn't have the quick release collars so I'm still searching for the best deal:cool:

Love and Peace

DennyR

I have a 20 pd, 5 ft threaded Cap brand barbell and hate using it for barbell video workouts-it's too big for aerobic work and it's awkward to quickly change plates. I'm also looking at buying an aerobic type barbell set.

but my patience is limited! Also this set doesn't have the quick release collars so I'm still searching for the best deal:cool:

Love and Peace

DennyR

DennyR,

Please let me know if you find a good deal on the same type of barbell w/quick release collars and more suitable for aerobic-type work. The one from Les Mills Pump looks ok, but I read that you can't purchase more weight plates for it, so you are stuck with the ones they give you :confused:. If I am going to buy a barbell, I want to be able to purchase plates! You never know, one day I might be able to squat 100lbs (ha ha doubt that. Unless I get Arnold Schwarzenegger as my trainer ;))

DennyR,

Please let me know if you find a good deal on the same type of barbell w/quick release collars and more suitable for aerobic-type work. The one from Les Mills Pump looks ok, but I read that you can't purchase more weight plates for it, so you are stuck with the ones they give you :confused:. If I am going to buy a barbell, I want to be able to purchase plates! You never know, one day I might be able to squat 100lbs (ha ha doubt that. Unless I get Arnold Schwarzenegger as my trainer ;))

Most aerobic barbell sets have a hollow bar and support only up to 40lbs. If you like to do weight training then you will most likely in the future need a barbell that can go above that range. What I would advise is get an aerobic set to start out with and meanwhile look for a good used weighted standard size barbell that can reuse the plates from the aerobic set.

If you do get a barbell set, I would get plates that have hand holding slots.

but my patience is limited! Also this set doesn't have the quick release collars so I'm still searching for the best deal

I have the Troy Lite Barbell Set and I really like it. It's the same one Cathe uses in her videos, so it works great for my needs. It's a 5lb bar that comes with two 10lb, two 5lb, and two 2.5lb plates, so the whole set is 40lbs. The bar can hold up to 80lbs so I have been planning on buying additional plates for it. If 80 ever becomes too easy for me, I can always add a weighted vest, so it should last me a long time. It does not have quick-release collars, true, but the spring clips are pretty fast to take off and put back on.

I bought mine from fitnessequipmentandmore.com (which I believe is now a part of wayfair.com) for $85 with free shipping.

I hope you find one you like at a good price!

I have a barbell but rarely use it for leg work, too much pressure on my lower back. I use dumbells for leg work. I got mine at Dick's Sporting Goods for $100. It came with 2-20s, 4-10's and 2-2.5 pound plates.

If space and money isn't an issue, it's nice to have a barbell, but not necessary. I hardly use my barbell these days. I bought a 15-lb. barbell at Play It Again Sports for $20, and a variety of 2.5, 5, and 10-lb. plates that I bought at the same time (don't remember how much) -- I used them for a while for variety's sake, but now I mostly use my dumbbells because it's easier! And I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.

I love using my barbell for workouts...it really adds a different facet to weight work. I am working back up to good shape, but when I was in my best shape, my barbell was an integral part of the process. You just workout differently with a barbell.

Right now, unfortunately, I cannot use my barbell because I am in recovery mode from my shoulder/arm fracture, so I am forced to use mostly only dumbbells because I have to use differing weights...so dumbbells are good for that....but I long to be able to lift my barbell over my head again and rest it on my shoulders without being in excruciating pain :confused: and do my squats and lunges>>>> as well as doing my shoulder presses and bicep work!!! It is the bomb...

Now, a few notes....I have an old school 16 year old barbell with screw on threaded stars at the ends for changing weight plates...this is a total bummer!!! It takes longer to change weights and sometimes I have to stop the video because of it. For your own good, make sure you get the end clips for changing weight plates....I have just not chosen to replace my barbell because I have chosen to amass the workout dvds I want (like STS, etc...) and wanted to spend my money there...and I can just live with it for now.

(However, I am seriously considering Les Mills Pump with my Christmas money gifts! so then I would get my clip barbell)

I found a 100# barbell set from Walmart and it was $58+tax with free shipping. I am currently using it for STS. (It's not one of those concrete sets.) Even better, it was made in the US. I know this is not an issue for you, since you are in Canada. ;)

I don't know if Walmart is an option for you, philosophically speaking. (I understand if it isn't.) But they have some good fitness equipment at decent prices.

I love using my barbell for workouts...it really adds a different facet to weight work. I am working back up to good shape, but when I was in my best shape, my barbell was an integral part of the process. You just workout differently with a barbell.

Very, very true!!

Being in recovery mode from a broken wrist, I can tell you unequivocally that using a barbell for curls is completely different than using dumbbells. Your motion is different, and therefore it works your biceps and forearms differently.

I am finally able to curl 20 lb dumbbells again, but I still can't curl a 40 lb barbell. It has to do with the rotation of the wrist and the strength of the forearm. If the workout calls for a barbell, it's my opinion that you should use a barbell. You can substitute dumbbells, and while they will work fine, they WILL be different than the barbell and therefore give you different results.

Last edited:
I love using my barbell for workouts...it really adds a different facet to weight work.

I agree with you and Jeanne!!! I've been using dumbbells for my high rep workouts because we have Olympic barbells in our gym (the bar weighs 45lb alone) and is too heavy for me.
I personally feel the barbell isolates the muscles in a different way. The load on squats feels different to me too. With dumbbells I feel pressure in my shoulders and neck and less in my legs during squats, not so much lunges.

DennyR,

Mini,

I just opted to buy only the troy lite barbell since I already have some standard plates.

Troy Lightweight Hollow Stardard Bar (TRB-54BH)

I did buy one grip plate at Walmart to do grip plate triceps and front raises...

Walmart.com: Gold's Gym Open Handle Hammertone KettlePlate: Exercise & Fitness

I had to spend my Xmas money quickly or I might have ended up using it to pig out on fast food!:eek:

Happy New Year,

DennyR

Mini,

I just opted to buy only the troy lite barbell since I already have some standard plates.

I did buy one grip plate at Walmart to do grip plate triceps and front raises...

I had to spend my Xmas money quickly or I might have ended up using it to pig out on fast food!:eek:

Happy New Year,

DennyR

Thanks so much for the info DennyR. I am thinking about seriously making this purchase. I get really excited with new fitness equipment!

Happy New Year!!!!

Mini,

Happy New Year,

DennyR

DennyR: funny about the fast food quip:D (bad funny) the sad thing is...I just did this yesterday with some of my Christmas money and went to 5 Guys Burgers :(:eek: which is pretty new here in NorCal. Where's the crying smiley head when you need it?

Very, very true!!

Being in recovery mode from a broken wrist, I can tell you unequivocally that using a barbell for curls is completely different than using dumbbells. Your motion is different, and therefore it works your biceps and forearms differently.

I am finally able to curl 20 lb dumbbells again, but I still can't curl a 40 lb barbell. It has to do with the rotation of the wrist and the strength of the forearm. If the workout calls for a barbell, it's my opinion that you should use a barbell. You can substitute dumbbells, and while they will work fine, they WILL be different than the barbell and therefore give you different results.

Holy geeze, 20lbs!!!!! That's impressive!!! My biceps are 2nd weakest after triceps. I am lucky to even curl 15 lbs! My shoulder's & chest are strong, but I would still love to curl 20 lbs!! You rock!! Did you do STS to get that high or are you just naturally gifted with bicep strength? :eek:

I find my barbell to be a necessity for leg work. I can't hold heavy dumbbells long enough for slow heavy leg work. I'm only good for holding maybe up to 25s in my hands for any length of time, and 50lbs isn't near heavy enough for legs. I also find dumbbell squats to be an awkward motion, don't know why, and prefer barbell squats.

I ended up with a screw cap barbell (I didn't know any better) but I bought a separate set of spring clips for less than $5, when I discovered the screw things were a pain in the butt. Works just fine.

My bar itself is a 15lb bar, it's solid, not hollow, and came with 85#s of weights for a total of 100lbs. I've since bought additional plates, they run roughly $1/lb. I think the original set was around $100 or a little less at MC Sports a couple years ago.

For quick change workouts (some of the STS, Pyramids) I'll use the BB for the heavier and DBs for the lighter, so I don't have to change back and forth. DH got me squat stands for Xmas, which I'm loving!! Such a shoulder saver when trying to pick up a heavy bar up and over repeatedly (Pyramids).

I'd say get a BB.

Nan

Holy geeze, 20lbs!!!!! That's impressive!!! My biceps are 2nd weakest after triceps. I am lucky to even curl 15 lbs! My shoulder's & chest are strong, but I would still love to curl 20 lbs!! You rock!! Did you do STS to get that high or are you just naturally gifted with bicep strength? :eek:

Well, keep in mind this is only with dumbbells. I don't know that I'll ever get back to a 40 lb barbell. Right now it's at 30 lbs.

I don't have any of Cathe's newest, latest, greatest. The only strength work I do is GymStyles, Slow & Heavy, Pure Strength, Muscle Max, Muscle Endurance and Amy Bento's Slo-Mo.

I have some pretty skinnny arms, so not sure why I can curl so heavy. I tell ya what though... the real challenge has been getting back to being able to curl after a broken wrist.

I just paid $89 for a barbell set at walmart in canada(bc). It has some lame name like EcoIron and it has the screwcaps, but I'm happy with it. It's a 10# bar with 4-10#s, 4-5#s, and 4-2.5#s (total 80#).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.