Bad reaction to cleanse? (food poisoning-like symptoms)

Kat2002

Cathlete
Wondering if anyone else has experienced a bad reaction to using colon cleanse products. After my first night of taking RenewLife Total Body Rapid Cleanse, I am sick as a dog (vomiting every hour or so, some diarrhea (sorry TMI). There are three components..one has some herbs and I took that one in the morning along with this fiber mix they tell you to drink...I suspect that the second component--460 mg of Magnesium Hydroxide could potentially be what caused me to get sick (took it at around 2 am yesterday and got sick at 8:30 am...been sick all day and am still sick now at 2 am today). Just trying to figure out if I coincidentally contracted food poisoning or if I brought this on myself by messing around with these products. :( I've been taking my temperature and have no fever.

Okay, so:

a) stop taking that crap and all other colon cleansers immediately- your body is built to take care of business all on its own and really doesn't need any help in that area

b) get thee to a doctor right away. You shouldn't be having that kind of reaction- spewing in all directions from all orifices is not the common, or preferred, reaction

Yep, this stuff is definitely going in the garbage regardless of whether I can pinpoint it as the cause. Plan to head to to urgent care in the morning if I'm still this ill.

Ditto, morningstar...

Okay, so:

a) stop taking that crap and all other colon cleansers immediately- your body is built to take care of business all on its own and really doesn't need any help in that area

b) get thee to a doctor right away. You shouldn't be having that kind of reaction- spewing in all directions from all orifices is not the common, or preferred, reaction

Cleansing, IMHO, is just a weight loss gimick, so don't even think about it if you haven't done them. I do agree that OP should get to a doc promto. Nasty stuff.

Went to the Dr.'s...he thinks I got food poisoning, which is thought was a possibility. Nevertheless, bad association with this cleanse stuff and it's getting tossed out.

About 10 yrs ago I tried some Colon Cleanse herbal crap and ended up with a 104 fever for 3 days, then jaundice/yellowing of skin, itching all over, etc... My liver enzymes were totally screwed up for a few weeks. I took the bottle to my doctor and he read the ingredients and said that it probably wasn't the cause, and that it was probably the birth control pill I'd been on...but it was such a coincidence that this happened shortly after I had started the cleanse stuff... I threw it out. Never again...

I have not had this experience but I gave my poor Husband a cleanse ,which was recommended to me by a staffer at a Pharmica store ,it was suppose to be mild and he had a severe reaction. His stomach blew up like a balloon , it looked disfigured and he had vomiting , stomach pain , diarrhea and missed two days of work because he was so sick . I felt so awful and never again did I buy into doing a cleanse. I basically poisoned him and felt so awful.

Okay, so:

Agreed, . .agreed, . . and agreed!

I've been very successful on cleanses...the only time I've felt awful is during day 2 when the toxins are leaving my body...However, I usually do cleanses through clean eating. I do ingest ground flaxseed to help with the colon cleanse...I drink hot lemon water in the morning to help the liver. The rest, just eat whole foods and organic fruits, veggies, and proteins. It works every time.

From someone in the medical profession:

Want a safe, healthy cleanse? Drink lots of water and eat lots of fiber. It's that simple. Ingesting chemicals alters your body's electrolytes and can be extremely dangerous and even potentially fatal.
Don't mess around with this stuff; it is dangerous and it's not worth it!!!!

Okay, so:

I am sorry but that is NOT true. It may be if a person has been eating a clean diet for all of their life. But most of us have been eating the Standard American Diet for quite a while. I just did a colonic after a 2 week green juice fast and I was stunned by what was coming out. Don't want to go into detail but some of it was clear that it had been cacked on for years!

I agree that it would be advisable to go to the doctor with these kinds of symptoms. Whereas nausea and bodyaches are common with a detox, vomiting is not. I am not a big fan of "herbal detox", just because it is natural doesn't mean it is harmless! I'd stay away from any of those pills. If detox is necessary then a juice fast for several days and/or raw food detox is much more advisable and effective.
I hope you feel better soon.

I am sorry but that is NOT true. It may be if a person has been eating a clean diet for all of their life. But most of us have been eating the Standard American Diet for quite a while. I just did a colonic after a 2 week green juice fast and I was stunned by what was coming out. Don't want to go into detail but some of it was clear that it had been cacked on for years!

I agree that it would be advisable to go to the doctor with these kinds of symptoms. Whereas nausea and bodyaches are common with a detox, vomiting is not. I am not a big fan of "herbal detox", just because it is natural doesn't mean it is harmless! I'd stay away from any of those pills. If detox is necessary then a juice fast for several days and/or raw food detox is much more advisable and effective.
I hope you feel better soon.

Carola!! How wonderful to see you here!! Many (((((((((hugs))))))) and healing vibes for you!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.