Back From Italy

LastTango

Cathlete
I just got back tonight from 2 weeks in Southern Italy. It was my first time to Europe, and was it a wild time!!! We started out in Naples, rented a car and drove down to a small village called Laurito (in the mountains). This is a small medieval village with a church that dates back to the 1200s. I'm talking authentic Italy here. The people were all very nice, and we found one market keeper who spoke English. She was very helpful...even went so far as to go to the pharmacy with us because my boyfriend was sick and needed meds. She helped us talk to the pharmacist. The police chief there also spoke a little English, and he was very nice. It was interesting to see how their normal day-to-day lives run...much slower and quieter than ours. We got to see the monthly market that comes to town, and then the weekly market, and figuring out which market had what products.....going to the market every day to get food instead of once a week. Just a whole other way of life.

We drove all over the surrounding countryside and down to the Cilento coast, visiting the different towns there. We went to Paestum to see the Greek ruins. Then we drove to Amalfi, and that was much busier, but still very old. We explored all the side alleyways and staircases to see what we could find. Found some excellent food that way. The gelato was great. Took the ferry to Positano and a boat trip all down the coast and to Capri. I took over 1500 pics while there. I have months of photo editing ahead of me.

It was quite an adventure. I'm glad to be home, but I"m sad it's over.

This is the one place I want to visit enough to get on a plane and all the hassle of travel. I want to ride the country side, especially want to visit Florence and Naples. I would love, love to see this country and thanks for sharing!

:D Hey I'm very happy that you like my contry and that you had a good holiday. next time came to visit Roma and I will accompany you all around the city :p:eek:.
Stay fit and be well
Ciao a presto

I just got back tonight from 2 weeks in Southern Italy. It was my first time to Europe, and was it a wild time!!! We started out in Naples, rented a car and drove down to a small village called Laurito (in the mountains). This is a small medieval village with a church that dates back to the 1200s. I'm talking authentic Italy here. The people were all very nice, and we found one market keeper who spoke English. She was very helpful...even went so far as to go to the pharmacy with us because my boyfriend was sick and needed meds. She helped us talk to the pharmacist. The police chief there also spoke a little English, and he was very nice. It was interesting to see how their normal day-to-day lives run...much slower and quieter than ours. We got to see the monthly market that comes to town, and then the weekly market, and figuring out which market had what products.....going to the market every day to get food instead of once a week. Just a whole other way of life.

We drove all over the surrounding countryside and down to the Cilento coast, visiting the different towns there. We went to Paestum to see the Greek ruins. Then we drove to Amalfi, and that was much busier, but still very old. We explored all the side alleyways and staircases to see what we could find. Found some excellent food that way. The gelato was great. Took the ferry to Positano and a boat trip all down the coast and to Capri. I took over 1500 pics while there. I have months of photo editing ahead of me.

I'm sure we'll be back one day....we just barely scratched the surface of what there is to see, and we didn't even go to northern Italy. Driving on the Amalfi coast road was an adventure in itself. Next time, we'll take a ferry from Naples to the coast instead of driving! Naples was just crazy.....all that traffic.

Some of our friends went down to the beach at Agropoli. They went down a one way street the wrong way (LOL), and some nice man came and told them that they were going the wrong way. They were trying to find the beach, but were lost. He got in his own car and had them follow him to the beach. How nice was that???

All kinds of adventures to be had in Italy.

Thanks for sharing your trip!

Thanks for sharing your vacation to Italy with us. I hope you time to put your memories together your photo album / scrapbook for this trip. Sounds like an awesome time with the culture, people and country...and maybe there will be a part two ;) It was fun to hear your little side adventures ....sometimes these can turn out to be some of the best memories :D

Oh, how wonderful. That sounds so exciting. It's my dream to get there one day! Thanks for sharing!

It sounds like a wonderful time, like you were able to soak up the culture. I love Europe, having been to Romania and Great Britain. One day I would love to go a spend a month in France.

As soon as I can get some time away from work , I plan to start editing some photos. I took over 1500, so it will be a lot of work. I've already worked on a few while I was there, but have yet to get them on my desktop. Maybe next week. Stay tuned.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.