Back exercises

nancy324

Cathlete
I'm putting this in the Ask Cathe forum, but I don't expect Cathe to have time to read this while she's filming STS. It's really intended for anyone who cares to respond.

I suffer from low back pain. I can't do deadlifts anymore, so I've stopped. But I discovered this weekend that I still have lower back pain the day after doing one-armed rows, and I'm going to have to give that up too. There are still some back exercises I can do, like the lying on the floor overhead lat extensions. I think I can still do bent rows, although I'll have to test this as well. I don't generally like to modify, but I guess I'm going to have to.

What do others with lower back pain do for back exercises? Thanks for any input.

I'm putting this in the Ask Cathe forum, but I don't expect Cathe to have time to read this while she's filming STS. It's really intended for anyone who cares to respond.

I suffer from low back pain. I can't do deadlifts anymore, so I've stopped. But I discovered this weekend that I still have lower back pain the day after doing one-armed rows, and I'm going to have to give that up too. There are still some back exercises I can do, like the lying on the floor overhead lat extensions. I think I can still do bent rows, although I'll have to test this as well. I don't generally like to modify, but I guess I'm going to have to.

What do others with lower back pain do for back exercises? Thanks for any input.

Nancy, re: one-armed rows, have you tried them at a 45 or less degree angle as opposed to flat back? That may help. also, have you lowered you weight that you lift?

Nancy, re: one-armed rows, have you tried them at a 45 or less degree angle as opposed to flat back? That may help. also, have you lowered you weight that you lift?

You can spare your lower back by doing 1-arm rows with the non-working arm supported on a chair or bench. That way, you can still work the lats, but don't have to hold the lower back in an isometric hold for an entire set.

You can spare your lower back by doing 1-arm rows with the non-working arm supported on a chair or bench. That way, you can still work the lats, but don't have to hold the lower back in an isometric hold for an entire set.

I actually have one leg up on the coffee table, with the non-working arm resting on the leg, for maximum back protection during one-arm rows. But I still woke up with lower back DOMS today. :(

I actually have one leg up on the coffee table, with the non-working arm resting on the leg, for maximum back protection during one-arm rows. But I still woke up with lower back DOMS today. :(

My husband has lowback pain...especially when he lifts weights. He went to see the doctor about it and he had him go to PT for this. They really focused on hamstring work for him. He stretches out his hamstrings daily and his lower back pain is gone. Just our experience. Good luck.

Jennifer

My husband has lowback pain...especially when he lifts weights. He went to see the doctor about it and he had him go to PT for this. They really focused on hamstring work for him. He stretches out his hamstrings daily and his lower back pain is gone. Just our experience. Good luck.

Jennifer

Hi,

I'm not an expert but if I understood correctly from what my PT told me, any position that flexes the spine causes tension in the lower back (even sitting but to a lesser degree!) . If effort is added, it's harder on the lower back, no matter how strong we are. So, any position that asks for an isometric hold for the back like rows, flys or kickbacks are hard on the lower back. If the back movement is slow (for example deadlifts), it is less risky than if the movement is fast, but in my case, she advised against deadlifts altogether.

I try to modify my workouts by trying to support my torso. For example, I do flys on my stability ball. It's harder to modify for one-arm row. I can't use my ball because it is not high enough! I support myself with my non working arm. I do the same with kickbacks, working one arm at a time. And I now do every exercise standing up instead of sitting down (like front raises, military presses, concentration curls, etc.). For exercise for the lower back, I rely on supermans.

Jennifer had a good point regarding strechting. It is true that lack of flexibility in our muscles can cause pain. It might help you also.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helped.
Nathalie :)

Hi,

I'm not an expert but if I understood correctly from what my PT told me, any position that flexes the spine causes tension in the lower back (even sitting but to a lesser degree!) . If effort is added, it's harder on the lower back, no matter how strong we are. So, any position that asks for an isometric hold for the back like rows, flys or kickbacks are hard on the lower back. If the back movement is slow (for example deadlifts), it is less risky than if the movement is fast, but in my case, she advised against deadlifts altogether.

I try to modify my workouts by trying to support my torso. For example, I do flys on my stability ball. It's harder to modify for one-arm row. I can't use my ball because it is not high enough! I support myself with my non working arm. I do the same with kickbacks, working one arm at a time. And I now do every exercise standing up instead of sitting down (like front raises, military presses, concentration curls, etc.). For exercise for the lower back, I rely on supermans.

Jennifer had a good point regarding strechting. It is true that lack of flexibility in our muscles can cause pain. It might help you also.

Just my thoughts. Hope it helped.
Nathalie :)

I am soooooo glad somebody asked this because I keep having problems. My problem is not with my lower back but in one or both lats, about midway down, closer to the side of my body than directly in back. I get muscle spasms which CAN wind up laying me up for days if they get out of control. Often I wake up with those though, so it's hard to tell if my (very physical) job, an exercise, or weird contortion I've done in my sleep caused it. I've always suspected I need to modify certain moves during GSBSB (which I just did last night and am feeling twinges from) but could never be certain which exercises needed modification. I think the "isometric holds" are IT so I'm going to try the remedies suggested here before heading to a PT again! If I go through this every time I work my back something needs to change.

I am soooooo glad somebody asked this because I keep having problems. My problem is not with my lower back but in one or both lats, about midway down, closer to the side of my body than directly in back. I get muscle spasms which CAN wind up laying me up for days if they get out of control. Often I wake up with those though, so it's hard to tell if my (very physical) job, an exercise, or weird contortion I've done in my sleep caused it. I've always suspected I need to modify certain moves during GSBSB (which I just did last night and am feeling twinges from) but could never be certain which exercises needed modification. I think the "isometric holds" are IT so I'm going to try the remedies suggested here before heading to a PT again! If I go through this every time I work my back something needs to change.

Jennifer, thank you so much for your post. I've been stretching my hamstrings for just a few minutes twice per day, and my lower back is feeling better! I'll keep this up for a few weeks and let you know how it's going. Sometimes the simplest answers are the hardest to find.

Jennifer, thank you so much for your post. I've been stretching my hamstrings for just a few minutes twice per day, and my lower back is feeling better! I'll keep this up for a few weeks and let you know how it's going. Sometimes the simplest answers are the hardest to find.

Nancy -
My sister (who is just 37) has back problems and "throws" her back out quite often. Her doctor and PT have prescribed stretches, since tight muscles are often the problem. I also think that maybe exercises like the "superman" and the lower back work in GS BSB might help. Good luck, Nancy. Take care of that back!!!

Nancy -
My sister (who is just 37) has back problems and "throws" her back out quite often. Her doctor and PT have prescribed stretches, since tight muscles are often the problem. I also think that maybe exercises like the "superman" and the lower back work in GS BSB might help. Good luck, Nancy. Take care of that back!!!

Hi Nancy! I have not read what others have written so perhaps I am repeating myself but I would suggest just taking a solid week and perhaps two off of doing weighted traditional back exercises and just focusing on strengthening you lower back for now. This would mean doing exercises like superman or the low back machine at the gym. Condition your lower back through these foundation exercises which will strengthen the small muscles surrounding the spine, creating a corset effect, and give you better back support during your weighted exercises. Also do stretching exercises for your back during this time and at all times. Do fundamental ball work to lengthen, strengthen, and stretch your back too. Once your lower back has a stronger foundation you can progress into more traditional weighted back work but go VERY LIGHT on your weight and also choose exercises that allow you to support your back as you do the exercise (ie: one arm row with knee and hand on chair or bench to support back). Factor in longer recovery so that your back fully recovers before placing more demands on it. Of course, the best thing to do if you find no relief after this is to schedule an appointment with a physical therapist to give you a 12 to 16 week rehab program to strengthen your lower back. The exercises they will give you are excellent for maintaining a healthy back and spine. In fact if you are able to do this before all else, I suggest going to see them first. Good Luck with everything!

Hi Nancy! I have not read what others have written so perhaps I am repeating myself but I would suggest just taking a solid week and perhaps two off of doing weighted traditional back exercises and just focusing on strengthening you lower back for now. This would mean doing exercises like superman or the low back machine at the gym. Condition your lower back through these foundation exercises which will strengthen the small muscles surrounding the spine, creating a corset effect, and give you better back support during your weighted exercises. Also do stretching exercises for your back during this time and at all times. Do fundamental ball work to lengthen, strengthen, and stretch your back too. Once your lower back has a stronger foundation you can progress into more traditional weighted back work but go VERY LIGHT on your weight and also choose exercises that allow you to support your back as you do the exercise (ie: one arm row with knee and hand on chair or bench to support back). Factor in longer recovery so that your back fully recovers before placing more demands on it. Of course, the best thing to do if you find no relief after this is to schedule an appointment with a physical therapist to give you a 12 to 16 week rehab program to strengthen your lower back. The exercises they will give you are excellent for maintaining a healthy back and spine. In fact if you are able to do this before all else, I suggest going to see them first. Good Luck with everything!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.