Ayurveda, anyone?

Stephanie0523

Cathlete
OK, so I was browsing Gaiam's web site today. (They are having a sale + 99 cent shipping), and I happened upon a DVD called Ayurveda for Weight Loss. I had learned a bit about Ayurveda from Sara Snow's show but I was wondering if anyone here follows it ... Is it a viable way of losing weight/getting healthier? Apparently, one of the reviews of the DVD said that it encourages people to eat two meals a day with your biggest meal at lunch and only drink tea with honey at dinner time. This goes against anything I've ever heard. But nighttime is when I totally fall of the clean eating wagon, so I'm wondering if there is something to this.

I've just begun to explore yoga and all its related principles, etc. It's pretty fascinating. There is TONS of information about Ayurveda on the Yoga Journal website. It seems to be fairly complex, but at the same time, I get the impression that its general concept is moderation and balance. Here's a link to the Yoga Journal's "Introduction to Ayurveda." It barely scratches the surface.

http://www.yogajournal.com/health/1722

As for that particular DVD that you mention - well, I imagine it's like any diet. Everyone has their own favorites that they advocate. But according the little I've read on Ayurveda, it's important for each person to target their own specific needs.\

ETA: Try this article, too. Very helpful! http://www.yogajournal.com/health/55 Ayurveda is more than just diet - it's a way of keeping the entire body in balance, and there's a heck of a lot more involved than just food.

Last edited:
Thanks, Shannon! I knew it was more than a diet. The more I read my post the more I see how I kind of demean the whole concept by just focusing on the weight issue. That's just where my head is right now, unfortunately. I need to delve deeper and read those article. Lord knows I need some balance! :)

I don't know about ayurveda for weight loss but I do know that its an ancient kind of Indian medicine. Anytime I think of that word I pair it up with medicine. I have often suggested the ayurvedic medicine "Gymnema sylvestre' for treating sugar cravings/alcohol addictions. It really does work. I don't know that it would make you thin. I do know that yoga probably falls into this category. But, I also know that yoga is a martial arts practice that is used prior to the shivasna (spl?) or meditative practice. I do know that there have been studies which found yoga to be extremely effective for weight loss. I found this to be true for myself.

I don't know if any of that helps,

Alisha

I'm going to start doing yoga more. I used to like it, but I haven't done it in awhile.

Shannon-That second article was really informative. I think I'm a vata. So I'm going to try to eat more of the vata balancing foods to see if it helps balance my mood and food cravings. Also learned some good poses that are supposed to help balance vatas. Thanks SO much!!

Stephanie - I'm glad that information helped! The Yoga Journal website has an incredible amount of stuff - I may never reach the end of it. :D I've only been doing yoga for a couple of months and can already feel the benefits.

Good luck on your quest for balance! Actually, there's probably no luck involved - but plenty studying, exploring and practicing. I'm loving the journey.

Not sure about this Gaiam Ayurveda DVD but Yoga is a huge part of my life and I have learned a lot about ayurveda over the years. It's quite complex, so the DVD would probably be a basic overview of ayurveda; kind of like a beginner yoga DVD doesn't even begin to scratch the surface of what yoga is all about.

Having a more lean and flexible body is a definite side effect of these practices but that's only a small part of it.

By learning about ayurveda you will become more in tune with what works for your body and what doesn't.

An ayurvedic doctor looks at a lot of different factors to determine your dosha and advise you on what types of foods would be most beneficial to you. They sometimes prescribe herbs, massages with certain oils, or other practices to bring all the elements into balance.

On Dr. Oz this morning the book "The Guru in You" by Cameron Alborzian was discussed. Its based on Ayurveda so check it out. Seemed real interesting. Just downloaded it on my reader.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.