Attn: fellow weight loss check-in'ers..................

getnfit@38

Cathlete
Hi guys, I guess this could have waited for our check in on Monday, but I thought I'd ask this now and give you some time to think about it. :)

After much thought, and too many weeks of "standing still" on the same number due to "my ice cream thing," I've decided to go "ice cream free" for 6 months. Not even the low fat stuff, because as low fat as Healthy Choice Ice Cream is, it may be only 28g fat for the whole gallon, but its a whopping 1680 calories, and trying to work it in my daily calories is keeping me from eating something I should be eating like fruit, or a healthy lunch or dinner. So I'm consciously giving it up for 6 months, and I'm hoping that going "cold turkey" will break me once and for all of this habit, and that maybe in 6 months, I'll be in a safer/more secure place with my eating and be able to manage it with more common sense, or maybe not want it at all.

So, anyone else want to give something up for 6 months? We can keep each other accountable every week on the check in. :)

I already started today. I threw away a 1/2 gal. of ice cream and my hubby has committed to this with me because he knows if I see him eat it I'll want it, so he threw out his Ben & Jerry's in support. And we're not buying any under any circumstances for at least 6 months. So, don't let me do this alone guys!

Kay, Marci, Anna, anyone else from the check in?..............
What's your poison? Chips, cookies, donuts? Care to join me, it's just 6 months, and if it works, we will have successfully kicked 1 bad eating habit together! :)

Donna

Hi Donna,

This is great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yes ! This is one challenge I am definitely up for ! My weakness is take aways, and alcohol (can't just stop at one glass of wine, have to have four !), especially both in the same evening ! :D terrible ! I would love to give the 6 month challenge a go. Take-aways are expensive, think of all the money DH and I will save too ! I have managed to give up caffeinated coffee, and sweetners in the past 6 weeks (which was VERY hard) but I do feel better for it. I am a strictly decaff tea girl now !

Donna ....COUNT ME IN !!!!! :)

Anna

Donna-
I am a fellow ice cream lover. Man, I could live on it. I did get some for tonight, so starting tomorrow, I am in!!!! You are the only reason I do Imax, so maybe you can be the only reason I don't eat ice cream for 6 months!!!!
Lori S.

hi ya, well im up for this challenge, this is my first post so, am very new at this, stats are 170# 5ft. 5in. but i was 190 3 months ago, so now u know my story . now for the challenge, it would haaaave to be alcohol, not candy not any sweets , not chips, just plain old beer, yep even went to lite but still this is my down fall, cant help it, so im up for challenge, <does bloody marys count?> lol going to try hard. hope i do well in this forum. good luck to you all, and welcome me.

I've been trying to wean myself off sugar in my coffee and tea every day. At 2-4 tbsp per day that adds up to 1000-2000 calories per week.

OK I'm in! No more sugar in my beverages for the next 6 months!

- Sharon

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Nov-02-02 AT 08:38PM (Est)[/font][p]This is great! :) And Lori, we can console each other through ice cream withdrawal!

But you know, maybe it's psychological, but I swear I already feel more in control of myself just from making the decision to quit! The longest I've gone without ice cream is about 2 weeks, so that will be the real test for me in about 2 weeks or so, and I'll REALLY need support in about 2 weeks just prior to TTOTM! But I think this challenge is going to really help! :)

So that's 3 in so far: Anna, Lori and Teressa :)
Ooops, missed your post Sharon, up to 4 :) And giving up sugar was much easier than I thought. I quit drinking coffee, but I started drinking tea. I don't even miss adding sugar to anything anymore! :)

Anyone else???????

Donna

p.s. Teressa, my hubby is a fellow "brew lover" too, but I don't dare ask him to give up both ice cream and beer at the same time. Besides, if he gave up beer, there would go the only biceps curls he does! :)

BTW, what should we call this check in?

Do you just want to post it in the weight loss check in every week, or do you guys want a separate check in for those who may jump on board but not necessarily need to lose weight?

Donna

I don't know if this will help or not, but frozen bananas and frozen grapes taste wonderful. Frozen bananas taste a little like ice cream to me.
Good luck ladies!!
Erica (frozen fat-free yogurt addict)

Yes, I'm in!! My weekness is icecream as well. And chocolate. So I will give up icecream and candy. It is nothing but empty calories and fat. I just crave, crave, crave sugar. These are also trigger foods for me that when I am stressed if they are around I tend to eat them.

GREAT idea Donna!! My Holloween binge turned into a two day binge, but I got back on track today with 1,800 calories and 45 minutes on my stairmaster. I'm NOT getting on the scale tommorow though!!

Marci

WOW Marci.....................

Now that's a sacrifice! I've never been in to candy (thank God! or can you imagine how much bigger I would have been?!) but I hear for some people that's a real tough one to shake! Especially for chocolate lovers.

You know, the ice cream market may not be able to bounce back from this! I don't know about you guys, but some CEO has been living like a fat cat off of my addiction!

Donna

Okay I'm in and delurking...

I Just recently gave up coffee, but now drink decaf with that wonderful french vanilla creamer. I would like to give up added sugar & treats. This will be difficult, but I am up for the challenge.

I would also like to start posting on the weight loss check-in if you guys don't mind.

Thanks for the idea getnfit@38

Nikki

Come on over Nikki..................

By all means join our check-in. Someone always starts it on Monday mornings, and we basically share as much as each of us is comfortable with. I usually post whatever loss or lack of a loss I had for the prior week, eating pros and cons for the week, etc.
It's really great, and everyone is really supportive. So we'll "see you" tomorrow on the weight loss check-in.

p.s. you will be surprised how easy it will get to stop adding sugar to foods. I'm no fanatic about sugar or anything, I still eat foods that contain sugar, but I don't add sugar to anything I eat or drink. It took me only a short while to get use to teas without sugar, I think less than a month really.
I've read somewhere that any habit can be broken in 21 days. If you can go 21 straight days without whatever it is, you can move past the addiction. (I don't completely believe that, but it feels good to say! :)) We'll see if it's true with the ice cream!

Donna

RE: Come on over Nikki..................

Wow! I too have a major devotion to ice cream. If I could just have a small bowl every once in a while, it wouldn't be a big deal. But I tend to eat a big bowl practically every night. It is a bad habit that I can't seem to shake. So I want to be a part of this challenge too. As long as I don't buy it, I think I will be ok, but it will be HARD to pass up. Oh, I also sometimes get a cookie dough frozen custard from a drive-thru that I LOVE. I think I better give those up too. Oh boy, I am going to need major help from you guys. We can do it! Heather

RE: Come on over Nikki..................

Well, I'm not in the original check-in, but can I join? My goal is to simply give up crap :). I do pretty well, but every once in a while I have to sneak a bit of my daughter's cookie (to make sure it's okay).

Rose

Hi all.
I just checked in today and found this post!
I would like join in also, but would like to try to give up something other than food. After reading the posts about depression, I think I may have some variation of depression or seasonal affective disorder or something. So, instead of a food, I am going to try to quit thinking about all of the things that I should be doing or didn't do, and try to focus on living for today. Hope this doesn't fall outside of the point of this "giving something up" post!
Cruncholi

My weaknesses are definitely ice cream and chocolate. I gave up using artifical sweeteners about five weeks ago and my cravings have definitely diminished. I have had two hershey's kisses in the last five weeks and two chocolate chip cookies and two dishes of vanilla soy ice cream. Before cutting out the artifical sweeteners I was eating chocolate and ice cream everyday. I am lucky because I only like bitter chocolate and all the Halloween candy is usually milk chocolate.

I am not willing to say I will give these items up completely because in the past such feelings of deprivation have caused me to binge. I keep telling myself that if I REALLY want these foods I can have some. The one limit I have set for myself is not to eat these foods when I am upset or bored. I have the choice. The food is there waiting for me when I really want it.

Suggestions for controlling Ice Cream and chocolate:

1. Do not have any Ice Cream or Chocolate in the house. Only have a kiddie or small when you go out. Limit the frequency.

2. Buy single serving fruit bars or popsicles or fudgicles.

3. If such exists, buy a flavor you do not like and keep it in the basement freezer. You know it is there and that you always have the choice.

4. Figure out what healthy clean food you really like and indulge when you have serious cravings.

5. Find other ways to reward yourself.

Don't forget that between Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years we are entering the hardest time of the year to maintain healthy eating. I am going to try to deal with each day at a time. Each day I can maintain healthy eating is a victory.

Regards,

Rhonda

Cruncholi................

I think "giving something up" is different for most of us, so I think it fits just fine. :)

Donna

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.