Athletic Step or Step Moves?

Jody

Cathlete
Hi all,

I am on a bit of a limited budget and can only afford to get a few more of Cathe's Shock Cardio (I already have HIIT). I figured one way to cut back is to get only one of the all step dvds now, and get the other in the future.

So....can I get a vote on which workout everyone likes better - Athletic Step or Step Moves? I have pretty much all of Cathe's other step dvds, so choreography (hard or easy) doesn't matter. I think music definitely helps though, so maybe I should just go with the one with the best music!

Anyhow, if anyone would care to share their favorite (and why), I'd greatly appreciate it - thanks!

Music is not much of a factor for me so i cannot comment on that portion (half the time I don't realize there is music) but I would purchase athletic step. Step moves is tricky to learn at first and not challenging to me even with an 8" step. Step moves would be a good recovery day w/o whereas AS is good for anyday cardio.

Criminy. I must be in pretty bad shape. Step Moves leaves me breathless every time.

I like SM better than Athletic Step -- I think it's more fun.

No question that you're going to get answers on both sides, so the best thing is going to be to check out the previews and see what appeals to you.

Depends on what type of workout you're looking for. I do athletic step on an 8 inch step and it's a thoroughly intense workout. Step Moves is a little more dancey and not nearly as intense even on 8 inches. My heart rate does not get up very high with Step moves, but none the less, it's still a good workout for me on my lighter days or when I just want an additional 30 mins of steady state cardio. The music in athletic step is awesome btw. One of my favs!!

I would Step Moves because the complexity of getting the moves down pat gives it a better repeat factor until you can afford Athletic Step. Both are great though.

Shelby

Step Moves hands down. It has a great fun factor! I did it for days in a row when I first got it.

I hardly ever said this about a Cathe dvd, but I just don't care for Athletic Step very much and have only done it about 3 times. There are just too many moves in it that are my least favorites or that I'd rather not have in a step dvd (e.g., walking, pumping, rock back jump twice, ricochets, grapevines off the step, jacks). I just can't get into it.

I already posted, but decided today to do Step Moves after my INSANITY Plyometric cardio circuit. It was really a lot of fun! and I forgot how much the music does ROCK. Still not quite as challenging cardio-wise as AS, but I still busted out a good sweat, or actually kept the sweat flowing after Insanity. I honestly think you would be happy with either one!! KUP on which one you pick.

If you want a workout with more athletic choreography, higher intensity and more calorie burn, go for Athletic Step. If you want a fun more complex step, go for Step Moves. For me personally, I liked Step Moves better. I had a couple of space issues with Athletic Step. They're both great workouts but it depends what you like more.

Marcy

I much prefer Step Moves. Usually I lenjoy athletic step workouts more but this time I really enjoyed Step Moves more than Athletic Step.

I'm in the minortiy here. I just can't seem to get into Step Moves. I love Athletic Step. I love the music and the moves are so much fun.

Step Moves

I am one of the few who likes Athletic Step better than Step Moves too. I just can't seem to get the steps down and find it frustrating and I do like dancy type step moves so I don't know why I can't do this one.

Just my opinion that I like Athletic Step better .

Since there isn't as much "learning curve" as Cathe mentions for these dvds, I found Step Moves to be one of the most stressful dvds I have ever done. I can usually pick up the dancy stuff eventually- but this was just too much for me and I was finding myself not getting a work out - just screaming at the tv! LOL.

I really like Athletic Step because it is straightforward -when there is little option for "learning" the moves, I guess I need more simple moves.

But that is just me. . . .

I love them both! I think they both are a lot of fun! I only did AS once, couldn't get the last combo down. I did Step Moves for the first time last week; I was completely lost the last 15 min or longer, lol. I just stood there and watched her :p:p Eventually I will get the steps down;) I had the same problem with 4DS HIS, took me a few times to get the moves down. I noticed Cathe’s last combos are always the hardest to pick up, at least for me! LOL! From now on, I will practice the last combo first:eek::D I got you Cathe,LOL! I also love the music in both.

Don't know if you made up your mind, but I can't get enough of Step Moves. I love the choreography. I'll admit it's a little complex, but so much fun. There is more plyo in athletic step, more of a workout. Enjoy your selection!

linda

well elaine, i am in the minority, for sure. i am not impressed with any of the shock cardio. i have been trying to sell it. i was very disappointed in the series. i love STS, but just don't like shock cardio.
cathy

Any of the MMA workouts!! I tried to do Athletic Step this weekend (I don't care for step to being with, but previewing this, it looked fun). Hated it! Very hard on the knees and jumpy. Also, there is the standard non-existent cueing (no use of the words left or right, for some insane reason) and of course, no opportunity to actually learn the freakin' thing (like an extra chapter for example). I have space limitations, so all the spinning and jumping just isn't possible and it's sooooo frustrating trying to figure out what the heck she is doing, let alone how to modify it, too. Rather than throw something at my tv, I just moved that disc to the bottom of the pile to be never used. Right along with Step Moves. I work out to ease my stress, and these bloody things do nothing but boil my blood. It was very disappointing, because I really wanted to like this workout. I put in KPC instead!!

Last edited:
Hi all,

I am on a bit of a limited budget and can only afford to get a few more of Cathe's Shock Cardio (I already have HIIT). I figured one way to cut back is to get only one of the all step dvds now, and get the other in the future.

So....can I get a vote on which workout everyone likes better - Athletic Step or Step Moves? I have pretty much all of Cathe's other step dvds, so choreography (hard or easy) doesn't matter. I think music definitely helps though, so maybe I should just go with the one with the best music!

Anyhow, if anyone would care to share their favorite (and why), I'd greatly appreciate it - thanks!

Hi Jody,

I love both workouts, so it is a close call.

Personally, I prefer the music in Step Moves. The music is more in sync with the choreography than in Athletic Step in my opinion.

At the end of Atlhletic Step the first of the Football drills is out of sync with the move music-wise - at least in my opinion.

I also do not like the skipping across the step in Athletic Step.

Don't get me wrong -- Athletic Step is a fantastic workout and totally worth the money!

Step Moves is one of my all time favorite Cathe step videos. The fun factor is way up there -- it is such a happy workout and Cathe is so cute when she cues (sp) the third combination.

Step Moves is so flowy and fun. I found it very easy to learn!

Last edited:
Criminy. I must be in pretty bad shape. Step Moves leaves me breathless every time.

I like SM better than Athletic Step -- I think it's more fun.

No question that you're going to get answers on both sides, so the best thing is going to be to check out the previews and see what appeals to you.

Hey Nancy, Step Moves leaves me sweaty and breathless.

I think both DVDs are equally challenging. The only difference I see is that Step Moves has less impact and way better music.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.