Asylum - Anyone try these yet?

jdimascio

Cathlete
I just did Vertical Plyo....I never had so much fun. I love using the jump rope, I love the creative agility ladder moves. The workout was hard, but no dread factor. i'll admit I was a afraid to press play...but after finishing it, I feel AWESOME!!! Challenging, yet doable.

I am curious, though, what do you think the MET is for this one, 10? Not tht it really matters, but it must be high.

Mine arrive tomorrow and I can't wait to get them. I just started another round of Insanity and it's amazing how much I really like these DVD's.

Elena

Reviews

So how is everyone liking Asylum? I saw the previews for it, and it looks tough but fun! I'm thinking about purchasing at some point but waiting to hear more reviews about it.

Here are my thought so far...I have done 3 of them. I have done a rotation of Insanity and still throw into my rotations here and there. I actually decided to do some before I got Asylum as prep work.

Speed and Agility - He moves fast through a lot of moves with the agility ladder. Some of them you are running through them, some of them are in plank position. The plank moves are harder, of course. I can't say that it's similar to Insanity, because it partly is...but it's just different. It is truly sports training, and a good idea of how athletes train. I play sports and run and I do notice improvements when I add these sort of workouts into the mix.

Vertical Plyo: Seemed easier to me than Speed and Agility. It's more jumping, he uses the jump rope more, which I LOVE!!! This one is more about focusing on form and height.

Too early to tell, but there is a less dread factor to these than Insanity. The jump rope and agility ladder really make it fun...I seriously love using the jump rope!! I loved Insanity, but at times I really had to get through the warm up to be OK with the idea that I was about to put my body into some serious work!!
Relief - Is a nice 25 minute stretch. I enjoyed this one, I like slow controlled moves and this mainly focuses on the muscles that you use for the program.

I will be trying Back to Core this week. I think I will like this one too. I find my lower back hard to work on and this one apparently does the job.

I tried Vertical Plyo yesterday and by the end of the day, I was starting to feel it. This morning I'm so sore I can't stand it, ha! (but I loved the workout!!) My official rotation of this system starts this Friday. I think I'll like this better than Insanity as it seems more well rounded, with a weight workout and a nice, 25 minute stretch routine as well. My legs, back, arms, abs (the abs are a nice surprise since there are no traditional ab work but I'm sore in my obliques) are talking to me. I am starting a blog and will be posting about these workouts starting this Friday. (see below)

Denise

I'm excited! I just ordered mine, I enjoyed Insanity but it was too repetitive? I guess for me too stick to the rotation I throw them in with other dvd's. Sounds like this one will be even better!! :)

Hi,
Are they harder than Insanity? Just because the idea of doing something harder than THAT is a bit scary. Is it a bunch of plyometrics again?

I don't know if I could say that they are harder than Insanity, they are different. They are challenging, but doable. You will be worked, but these workouts are not impossible, which I think is important to understand. They are designed for "sports performance" and I think that is accomplished. Shaun T uses the jump rope and agility ladder throughout the entire workout and I like how he incorporates them. The Strength workout was fun, different. They are combo moves and he increases the intensity each round. I do find that my back and core are getting worked the most. I am going to try Back to Core later today, which should worked the back ...again. I am actually happy about that, because I find that my lower back and core need some work.

I thought Speed and Agility was harder than Vertical Plyo...mainly because he moves quickly through these and the moves are just harder (IMO). With Vertical Plyo, he uses the bands a lot which makes the moves harder. I haven't done Game time yet...but this one is 60 minutes.

I did Speed & Agility last night - my agility sucks! :p There's no place to go but up, so here I go! A month from now I'll be a whole new athlete :D.

A month from now I'll be a whole new athlete :D.

Sandra, I like your thinking! ;)

I am starting my rotation tomorrow and I'm a little scared! I did Vertical Plyo Tuesday (just to test the waters) and I'm still feeling it!! I heard Speed & Agility was even harder, oh my!

Wish me luck!

Denise

Keep your expectations low and cut yourself some slack. The first time through you're just going to set a baseline. Next time, you'll do better. If you could do the workouts perfectly and not be challenged, then you shouldn't be doing them in the first place. Do something that challenges you; that's how you grow. :).

Has anyone done 'Strength' yet? And if so, what weight dumbbell did you use? I'm SO excited about this one...I'm doing it later tonight :)

I'm on Day 11 of Asylum. Today was Game Day. I had been dreading it, but WOW! What a FUN workout! It just kept moving, with tons of variety, and the hour was over before I knew it. Funnest workout of the series for me.

Zozo, I've been using 15 lb dumbbells, except for the overhead shoulder presses and the rows from pushup position where I've been using 12s. I think for my next Strength day (Tuesday, I think), which will be my 3rd time, I will go up to 17.5 lb or maybe 20 lb if I can do it, especially for the exercises in the warmup, and try 15s where I have been using the 12s.

Stebby

I need someone to enable me to get these. ;)

They look like lots of fun.
But I just spent $300 in videos in the last few weeks, on the pre-order and Cathe's terrific sale.

I also have a gym membership, and I have a high end road bike and am waiting to be able to buy a fixed gear bike. How much money can I really justify to spend on fitness? Given it's a good investment and saves $$$ down the road, I have enough resources to keep myself very busy as it is now!

But I think.....relatively, these aren't too much money.....are they....(there's the spend creep, isn't it????)

BUT! I don't play sports, I just cycle a lot in the nice weather and swim laps when it's not so nice. I have more than enough options for cardios and weights already, and I like 'em all. So how can I really justify them?

If someone feels like telling me they are really good for functional fitness as you age.....well then maybe I can get 'em. With a slew of knee and lower back issues over the last several years, I really do have an eye to functional fitness as I age.

But!
Again!
They look fun!!!!!!!
And different!
And different is always good!
And important in any fitness routine!!!

mkeefe I think they are worth it....but

Hi,
Like you I did not NEED these workouts; but I got them anyway. And I did just order Cathe's new stuff too. I like to keep my workouts fresh or I get borded and I don't want to work out.

As far as these go I would say they are great cardio, little bit of strenght, and alot of functional fitness. They are different from anything else I have. I do have Insanity and I think these are somewhat like Insanity. They are super tough and yet I think they are more "fun" than Insanity.

If you have knee problems I'd say skip them. They do a ton of high knees, jumping rope, mountain climbers...and stuff like that.

They time flies by and you are sore the next day.

Hope this helps...I say buy them and trade them if you don't like them.

Good luck
Elena

well, I just finished my first: speed and agility. I'm humbled. I have alot of work to do. I am an intensity junkie and couldn't make it thru the entire workout. the agility ladder is alot of fun, even if I had to keep straightening it back out haha. I went rigth into the relief stretch after and found it to be exactly what my fatigued legs needed. Can't wait to try the other workouts. I can definitaly see how this set will fit into my workout needs.

So far I am loving Asylyum. I have done speed and agility twice...boy did I have DOMS for days after the first time! All the floor, plank work hit me hard. Vertical Plyo was great, but tough. I have also done the strength workout and that was unique and time went fast. I find Shaun T motivating (and of course he looks great). The workouts I did were 40 - 50 minutes, nice being under an hour and really feeling like you are working hard. My jumps, the way he teaches you to do them through insanity and all, have much improved.

Sounds funny to like the DOMS, however most people here would understand that !

So far so good...a bit afraid of game time.............anyone rate that?

So far I am loving Asylum. I have done speed and agility twice...boy did I have DOMS for days after the first time, and some again today from it yesterday! All the floor, plank work hit me hard. Vertical Plyo was great, but tough - I thought harder then S&A, but others have not. I have also done the strength workout and that was unique and time went fast. I find Shaun T motivating (and of course he looks great). The workouts I did were 40 - 50 minutes, nice being under an hour and really feeling like you are working hard. My jumps, the way he teaches you to do them through insanity and all, have much improved. Big calorie burner for me in the shorter time...but nothing like the 800 the lady on utube says she burns.

Sounds funny to like the DOMS, however most people here would understand that !

So far so good...a bit afraid of game time.............anyone rate that?

Has anyone done 'Strength' yet? And if so, what weight dumbbell did you use? I'm SO excited about this one...I'm doing it later tonight :)

I use 20 for the warm up, 15 for the first circuit, 12 for the back circuit and 20 for the chest work.

Here's a list of exercises:
Warm up
Halo Dead Lift
Skull Crusher Press
Knee Drive Curl
Lateral Squat Row (30 sec each side)
Shoulder Tap Push up (30 sec each side)
Halo Dead Lift
Skull Crusher Press
Knee Drive Curl
Lateral Squat Row (30 sec each side)
Shoulder Tap Push up (30 sec each side)

Stretch

Cardio Core Circuit
Progressive Dumbbell Rotation Level 1
Alternate Shoulder Press
Dumbbell Rotational Jumps
Progressive Dumbbell Rotation Level 2
Reciprocating Dumbbell Press
Dumbbell Rotational Jumps w/ Curl
Progressive Dumbbell Rotation Level 3
Dual Overhead Press
Dumbbell Rotational Jumps w/ Curl & Press

Back
Hip Fly
Wide Fly or Jump Pulls on Bar
Hip Fly
Pyramid Row/Pushups or Pullup/Pushup
Hip Fly
Elbow Plank Row or Rock Climbing Switch

Chest
Chest Press with Leg Extension
Squatted Fly
Chest Press w/ Single Leg Extension
Back Fly Lunge
Chest Press w/ Staionary Leg Extension
Frong Jumps / Single Leg Plank

Thanks for telling me the weights :) I used 15s for everything except chest, which I used 20s for.

I am LOVING Asylum too. It's definitely more fun than Insanity....but still very hard (in a good way...it's good pain!).

I have only done Speed and Agility, the Fit test, and Strength...but so far, I'm having sooo much fun! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.