Are you only concidered beautiful when you have long hair ???

morgs

Cathlete
I know it's been a VERY long time since I have posted here and do check in from time to time. Been working out as always ( and loving Intensity ! Been working that in with MMA Boxing, and can't seem to let go of 4DS Bootcamp w/ Bi & Tri ) That however is NOT why I am posting. I know I can always get THE BEST support and advice from some of you cool gals so here is the deal:

I have very short hair and have had for quite some time. ( styled VERY much like Halle Barrie's short hair in Catwoman ) Not sure how I woke up all the sudden and smelled the coffee, BUT everytime I turn around I see women of all ages with TONS of long flowing gorgeous beautiful hair. Magazines, commercials, TV shows, movies, EVERYWHERE. VERY seldom do you see ANY lady regardless of age, featured with short hair. Sadly I brought the subject up here at work ( and I work with nothing but men ) and the outcome:?... " Why don't you grow your hair out ?" " " It would look SO much better longer" "Long hair is HOT" Inother words: WE are not concidered 'beautiful' unless we have a head full of long, flowing stick straight hair. I have never been one to follow trends, and you know as well as I do that most gals all look the same. They have the stick straight hair, with streaks of this and that color in it. I am not typical and just don't want to run around looking like everyone else. I however, am actually at the point where I don't even want to leave the house because I ( thanks in part to media & MEN ) now feel like a total freak because I DON'T have a head full of 80 pounds of hair. Someone Please set me straight before I spend the next three years of my life torchering myself to grow my hair out. :confused:

Thanks and BTW: Hope everyone has been well
Morgs

Not all beautiful women have long hair. Jamie Lee Curtis has extremely short hair and is a natural beauty. I think she is someone to really look up to. She takes care of herself, doesn't give in to Hollywood pressure of getting plastic surgery, and is still one of the most beautiful women of any age.

Don't let people pressure you into being someone you are uncomfortable being.

Hope that helped!

No.

Michelle Williams, Carey Mulligan, Emma Watson and Ginnifer Goodwin (love) all agree with me.

Those men don't know what they're talking about, I'm sure you look BEAUTIFUL with short hair.

I loved having short hair.

However, for me, there were some drawbacks....once someone thought I was a man from behind....:eek::(...and secondly my husband likes it longer so I grow it in deference to him too. Also, as I am getting older, I really feel that I need all the help I can get to look and feel feminine,,and for me...having longer hair helps. Also, my Grandpa always told me that a woman's hair is her crown of glory!

I have an acquaintance who is beautiful and has very short hair...like 1 1/2 inches short! And she is very feminine as well.

Best wishes as you work this out!

Last edited:
I also have had very short hair for the past couple of years. (It's actually a bit longer in my profile pic than it usually has been...) My stylist LOVES it and I have loved it too, but I found that the only other compliments I got were from old ladies who had short hair. A few weeks ago, at my youngest boys' birthday party, a friend of mine was looking at my fridge, which is packed with photos on the front of it, and said, "WOW, I never saw you with longer hair! It looked so good!" It used to be a little shy of my shoulders. I said, "Well, I am thinking about growing it out again because lately I feel like I look older with short hair." She agreed with me!!!! While I wholeheartedly appreciate that my friend tells me exactly how she feels and not just what I want to hear, I was taken aback. Here I thought that I was sporting this young/hip/fun do, and I apparently look older with it. (I'm 37.) So, I'm growing it out again. And I so hate the in-between stage of growing out short hair. Wonder how people feel about mullets.... :eek:

I see two parts to this question, women with short hair are of course beautiful and hot as I am sure you are :D.

Part 2: Men do seem to prefer long hair in general. My husband every time I go to get a hair cut reminds me to not cut too much off. I prefer my hair long, I think it looks better on me.

Just because men do seem to prefer long hair in general, does not mean they don't find you attractive, but there are men who would find you even more attractive with long hair because that is what they are attracted to. In the same way some men are going to be more attracted to big boobs., but I assure you, I'm not running out anytime soon to get a boob job! :p

Not a big shocker, that the men in your office prefer women with long hair. I'll bet if you ask them, they also prefer long legs and large breasts. Of course this is when they think about women in the abstract.

I think objectively we (men and women) desire one thing (long hair, big muscles, whatever), but we can truly desire and fall in love with a person who doesn't and possibly never will have that quality we find so attractive. You can't discount personality and that most attractive of qualities: self confidence. Seriously, haven't we all dated or even married a man who is different from who we thought we would go for?

If you love your short hair and think you look great in it, keep it! Oh,and I'll bet all the men in your office think Halle Berry is hot, even (especially) with her short hair. :)

Trixoo

Oh, and I forgot to add that the reason you don't see that many women with short hair is that you have to have really good bone structure to be able to pull it off...you can't hide your flaws with short hair...as a result, most women can't wear it!

Trixoo

I really understand what you're saying. The last time I had long(ish) hair was about 20 years ago. And it still wasn't past my shoulders. But right now I'm actually growing out for a change - I've done everything else. It is nice putting it up in a ponytail when I run. Personally though I love short hair. My daughter's hair is quite short (kind of shaggy pixie cut) and every time she gets it cut it makes me think ... But it's true - really short cuts only look really good on some people. After several attempts at pixie cuts I've realized my face is just too big. It looks like you look great though! I think short hair sets you apart from everyone else. I often look at women with really short hair and assume they have some confidence and definitely don't have some weird attachment to their locks (sooo many women are traumatized by loosing an inch of hair!).

And not all men think long hair is great. I know several who aren't huge fans, and my husband confessed the last time my hair was longer I looked like a basset hound! Yes, we're still married. :)

Jen

I just wanted to add that my best friend's husband actually prefers her hair short....so...I agree with what someone else wrote that not all men like longer hair.

Also, I need longer hair because though I could be considered pretty at times, I think I have a big face, not so great bone structure and a too-prominent proboscis:confused::rolleyes:. My hair helps a not-so-great situation...It is all about doing the best with whatcha got!

I agree with the others on this thread who say that you should go with what you like and not worry about what some male co-workers think looks good. And, as someone mentioned, I'll bet they wouldn't turn down Halle Berry. Trixoo, you are correct, too, in that most women (including me) cannot wear short hair because it is just not attractive with our bone structure. I very much envy people who can pull it off. So while you are looking with envy at all the women with long, beautiful locks, I and many others are looking at people like Halle Berry and Jamie Lee Curtis and wishing it would work for us. We just always seem to want what we don't have, and when we focus on something we don't have, we see it everywhere. I have the very fine, straight-as-a-string hair with highlights that you seem to think looks so good, and I can tell you it is a lot of work to deal with, even with a chin-length bob. I wish I had back all the time I have spent trying to do something with my hair and wish I felt comfortable enough to go the easy route and get it cut off, but I do not like how I look with short hair. Anyway, if you're happy with it, stay with it.

I had long hair throughout my childhood. Then, on my 26th birthday, I cut it. Then I cut it some more. And, I had it short until I was 32. Then, due to finances, I couldn't afford the 50$ and haven't cut it since. Now, I just wash it, use some mousee and either set it while its wet or put it up. When I run, I put it in a pony tail with a head band. When I was in college someone mistook me for a man in the ladie's room. I was mortified. Ever since, I make an effort to wear feminine colors, to wear ear rings, to avoid clothing with a man's style to it, and I now let my hair grow. I don't wear a pony tail when I'm out unless I'm also wearing a girlish barrett, scarf, or a flower in my hair.

No, I don't think that short hair doesn't make you feminine. I don't think it necessarily doesn't make you beautiful. But, what is beautiful is not necessarily what turns guys on, they are coded to look for healthy sexually receptive females to be mothers for their children (to them it feels like sex, but its really just reproduction.) Long hair shows that your reproductive system is healthy and open for business. When a female does not grow hair in the right places, her reproductive system has also been compromised. There are many types of follicles on your body, your ovaries are one of them, and all of them respond to a variation in your hormone levels. If you have excess estrogen, that will be converted into testosterone and thusly stimulate your ovaries to not function properly, and your head to lose hair (just like a dude!) and your chin/face/upper lip to grow hair. These are all reproductive cues to the males that this female is not receptive or healthy. So, when we cut our hair, we look like something that we may or may not be, which is not receptive sexually and not healthy sexually. This is why guys are responsive to girls with good long hair. Its just biology. Thats all.

Anywho, thats the long answer to your question. You can be beautiful without making a guy want to hump your leg;):p

LOL. Had to laugh at Rapid Breath's "hump your leg" comment.
Too funny. Thank you all for your responses. Just wanted to get your take on the whole deal. Like I stated, I have NEVER been one to follow trends, and have never done anything , fashion wise, hair style, or anything in life , just because someone else says so. Just recently started noticing a LOT of comments around the office, and also notice a lot with TV and Media, that beauty is always tied right in with someone with ass-long-thick-stick-straight hair. Very sad that certain people ( IE: some of the guys that I work with ) are shallow enough to buy into that. I know that beauty runs FAR deeper than just hair, BUT, I can't believe that it got to the point where I , who is in the minority with having short hair , actually started to feel 'silly' because I am not 'just like everyone else' as our ever so awesome media says so. I guess I am lucky because I can get away with it, given the features that I have. I had really long hair from the time I was little to the time I was in my late 20's ( I'm 39 now ). I get a LOT of compliments on my short style, even had a gal at my Eye Dr.'s Office take a picture cause she wanted hers the same way. Still, needed to get set straight again , and that meant going to a place that has women who are the 'Real Beauties" : This Chat board. BTW: Long or short hair, want to point out that if it were not for Cathe and her killer work outs we we would be feeling anything but beautiful. Thanks for keeping us all on the up and up Cathe. ;)

I loved having short hair.

However, for me, there were some drawbacks....once someone thought I was a man from behind....:eek::(...and secondly my husband likes it longer so I grow it in deference to him too. Also, as I am getting older, I really feel that I need all the help I can get to look and feel feminine,,and for me...having longer hair helps. Also, my Grandpa always told me that a woman's hair is her crown of glory!

I have an acquaintance who is beautiful and has very short hair...like 1 1/2 inches short! And she is very feminine as well.

Best wishes as you work this out!

I could have written this post. I had very short hair (my AVI) and now my hair is past my shoulders. I loved it and thought it looked good on me - it made my face look very slim - but now that I've grown it out everyone says how much they like it longer. Some said I looked like a boy. Whatever.

My husband also likes it longer and he is the reason I grew it back. It's been a long road and it's still not as long as I want it to be, but I do feel more femine this way.

But I also love women with short hair. Someone mentioned Jamie Lee Curtis. I love her hair. Haley Barry, too. Many women look so stylish with short hair. And I'll comment to any woman who has the spiked look - I love it.

One of these days I might go back to the short spikey cut, but for right now I'm enjoying my longer, curly hair. :)

My take on it is that hair length does not define whether someone is "beautiful" or not. Whatever length looks good with your face shape and features, is what makes you beautiful.

While I would never wear my hair a certain way because of what a man thinks, I do believe that most men consider longer hair more feminine. You don't have to be especially feminine to be considered beautiful, or overly beautiful to be feminine.

Personally, I wear my hair at the length and style that best flatters me. I think having your own personal style and grace is what makes you both beautiful and feminine!

I love short hair, I used to have a short angled bob and adored it. I have fine hair and when my hair is short, I can get some mega height and body! :D

My DH on the other hand feels that all short hair makes women look like boys or men- depending on the style. He is repulsed by it. So I chalk it up to beauty being in the eye of the beholder and it's whatever you feel the most beautiful with!

OH NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!! I have very short hair (Old school Twiggy, Old school Mia Farrow). I LOVE having and being able to wear short hair! I understand short hair is not for all women but I have always been a short haired girl and always will be. The men I have known and come into contact with love the fact that I have short hair. Damn men and society about women having to have long hair. I DO NOT LOOK GOOD WITH LONG HAIR.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.