Are there any other good step workouts not by Cathe

susanzabo

Cathlete
Hi-

I have most if not all of Cathe's step DVDs and I find her routines are perfect for me - not too dancy. I have tried some by Amy Bento and I find myself tripping all over myself. I also tried one by Seasun Zieger (Stepping Up with Seasun Zieger) and did very little before giving up. I don't have hours to devote learning an exercise DVD.

Any other great step DVDs out there that are as good AND challenging?

Also, are there any challenging kick box routines out there? I always find that KB videos don't get my heart rate up enough (unless I am doing the drills in Kick Max or KPC)

Thanks for your help!

Susan

Simply Step by Gin Miller is my only recommendation. Easy step routine but in order to get your heart rate up, I would do everything high impact. Not as tough as Cathe's in choreography or intensity. Have you tried Cathe's Athletic Step yet?

Hi JT,

Thanks for the recommendation. I have not yet purchased Athletic Step but it is in queue for my next purchase. I just did Low Impact Challenge for the first time today. That's about as complicated as I can handle, but it was so fun.

I know I would love even the danciest of steps by Amy Bento, etc... I just wish they would give a slow motion tutorial for the coordination challenged :)

Yes, I have problems learning Amy Bento too. My only Cathe step workout I haven't mastered yet in chorography (not necessarily intensity) is Step Moves. Still haven't done in Intensity but I think I can do it.

I have a ton of kickboxing I like and are pretty good calorie burners. I love the Powestrike kb workouts. Amy Bentos are pretty good also. Kim Spreen has a few I like for lighter days. Susan Chung' s are decent. Tracy Stahle has a few. Her latest is my favorite.

As far as step, I stick to Cathe.

Hi-

I have most if not all of Cathe's step DVDs and I find her routines are perfect for me - not too dancy. I have tried some by Amy Bento and I find myself tripping all over myself. I also tried one by Seasun Zieger (Stepping Up with Seasun Zieger) and did very little before giving up. I don't have hours to devote learning an exercise DVD.

Any other great step DVDs out there that are as good AND challenging?

Also, are there any challenging kick box routines out there? I always find that KB videos don't get my heart rate up enough (unless I am doing the drills in Kick Max or KPC)

Thanks for your help!

Susan

GASP!! How DARE you ask such a question!! :eek::p:D

I recently rented Amy Bento's Advanced Step Challenge II, and after my first attempt I almost gave up. It took ten times (TEN!!) until I finally figured it out. I put on my GRRRRRRR face and defeated that challenge. It's so much fun when it flows, and the music is awesome! If you have Netflix, try renting it from them. : )

Amy Bento's step dvds do have the Move Master feature where she breaks down some of the complicated moves step by step, slowly, and counts you through it. Have you tried to use that?

Turbo Fire

I'm not sure what you are looking for in a "challenge", but I still stay the best and most aerobic kickboxing workout out there is Turbo Fire by Chalene Johnson. Even her earlier Turbo Jam is an excellent workout. I even like her style of moves that I've incorporated it into all of Cathe's kickboxing workouts.

I stumbled across this website when I was looking for other step videos. It’s called discountworkouts.com. They also have a YouTube channel with clips of which I assume to be part of the DVDs you can order from their website. There’s one girl that I like and she seems to have good cueing and the moves don’t seem overly complicated. The DVDs you can order from them are really reasonable. I’m getting ready to purchase Advanced Step Aerobics - Vol. 1 and it’s two 60 minute workouts for $7.98.

Here’s a clip of the instructor that I like. She’s in several of the other step videos, too.

Fitness: Beginner Step Aerobics Vol. 1 - Workout 1 - YouTube

I like Step Forward by Tracie Long. It's from her TLF series and if you do it on an 8 inch step, it's a good workout.

Of course Cathe is my number one.....but if anyone is looking for advanced step choreography check out Rebecca Small. She rules!!! It's low impact and very complex....different combos of moves that I've never seen. She does about 8 combos per DVD. I especially love Step 2 Success. The DVDs are by Evolution. If you love Step Moves and Rhythmic Step you will dig it! Check her out :)

To add to this thread, IMAX2 and Low Max really don't have complicated routines. Preview here or YouTube so you can see what you like.

A great workout that is not "step-dominant" , but does use the step during circuit intervals (very simple choreo, more athletic style) is Jari Love's Get Extremely Ripped!1000. You do 3 min of cardio on the step followed by 3 min of weight training. Love this workout! If you want to burn serious calories, but don't really want to think about choreo, then this baby is for you! There is also a really tough push-up section at the end :eek:

Well I love both Amy Bento and Seasun Zieger for non-Cathe step workouts. Agree that Amy is hard to get the moves down, but man once you do it is so much fun and she really works you.

If you liked Seasun, her latest one is Z-fit Super Step and I really like it. She has taken each 3-count and incorporated (optional) semi-intervals, such as burpees, jump step squats and over the step squats. Nice because on the days you want the extra challenge you can work these in. The music is really great and gets you into the workout.

Amy does have a preview section on each of her workouts for her "toughest" (ie, hardest choreography); I would suggest watching that before hand to really nail those sections. One of my favorites is hers is actually her first one(Advanced Step Challenge), which it sounds like you have not tried yet. You might give it a whirl - great sweatfest in a shorter amount of time.

Christi Taylor is an instructor that I think cues really well, has the "Move Master" for various sections throughout the workout, and is fun to follow. She is a great one for really teaching the steps in an easy to learn manner. She has a new one I have not tried. Her Solid Gold has great music. That said, I do not find her as athletically/aerobically challenging as Cathe (of course) or Seasun or Amy.

If you're looking for a Cathe-comparable step workout:

I really like Athletic Step Jam by Sharon Twombley. I find it comparable to Cathe's step workouts like Step Blast/Rhythmic Step. Good music, high intensity factor, good cueing.

I recently rented Amy Bento's Advanced Step Challenge II, and after my first attempt I almost gave up. It took ten times (TEN!!) until I finally figured it out. I put on my GRRRRRRR face and defeated that challenge. It's so much fun when it flows, and the music is awesome! If you have Netflix, try renting it from them. : )

I totally need to get my GRRRR face on! I think Advanced Step II is the one I have. I will have to pick a time to learn it, just can't do it during my normal work out time. I will be aggravated if it is an unproductive workout.:)

Susan

I stumbled across this website when I was looking for other step videos. It’s called discountworkouts.com. They also have a YouTube channel with clips of which I assume to be part of the DVDs you can order from their website. There’s one girl that I like and she seems to have good cueing and the moves don’t seem overly complicated. The DVDs you can order from them are really reasonable. I’m getting ready to purchase Advanced Step Aerobics - Vol. 1 and it’s two 60 minute workouts for $7.98.

Here’s a clip of the instructor that I like. She’s in several of the other step videos, too.

Fitness: Beginner Step Aerobics Vol. 1 - Workout 1 - YouTube

Thanks Fitness Bunny! The routine looks pretty decent, and basic... right up my alley. Let me know what you think once you get it.

I like Step Forward by Tracie Long. It's from her TLF series and if you do it on an 8 inch step, it's a good workout.

Thanks Teresa - I will have to check her out, I am not familiar with her.

mfv3 - I have never heard of Rebeccal small either.... I will have to check her out too.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.