Are sliding discs necessary for LIS?

Davidj

Cathlete
Ok, I am ready to start buying some of Cathe's LIS videos. I noticed that sliding discs are used a lot. Is it necessary to buy these to enjoy the videos? I used paper plates for a few of the exercizes in STS.
-- David

While you can do these workouts with paper plates, I feel like the disks are sturdier, and more comfortable to use. Especially for the moves where you are using two of them. I use them on carpet and I'm finding they slide much better than my paper plates did when I used them in the past. I think they are well worth having for the ease of movement they allow and I really feel more confident using them than if I had paper plates for the types of exercises in this series.

I've never used paper plates, but I used to use "moving men" (those disks you use to move furniture). The moving men worked really well but now that I received Cathe's disks, I just use those. They work very similar to my moving men (I am on carpet), however they are much bigger than my moving men and seem to slide a bit easier, which causes me to use my core more to prevent over sliding.

I know the disks are used in the majority of her new DVDs for many exercises (not just 1 or 2 exercises).

I've used paper plates but ordered the glide disks. As Peaceful Rainbow said, especially when you use two disks at once, you will appreciate the glide disks. I could not do those dual foot moves with paper plates. they are tricky at first no matter what, and the disks move more smoothly than plates.

I also agree that the discs are worth getting. They enable you to do a lot more because of the sturdiness and size in my opinion.

Another thing about the disks that is helpful is the fact that they are cupped on the edges unlike the "moving men" that are just flat. I also used the moving men during STS and they worked fine. They would still work fine but I find the cupped edge helps me. If you have the "moving men" just try them out. If you have to buy something anyway, I would buy the Cathe disks. I don't think I could comfortably use paper plates here.

HTH

While you can do these workouts with paper plates, I feel like the disks are sturdier, and more comfortable to use. Especially for the moves where you are using two of them. I use them on carpet and I'm finding they slide much better than my paper plates did when I used them in the past. I think they are well worth having for the ease of movement they allow and I really feel more confident using them than if I had paper plates for the types of exercises in this series.

I completely agree!!

On another note, you can do all the moves without the discs and still get a pretty good workout. Not as intense as it'd be with the discs, but it is possible to follow along the moves and modify doing them without the discs. I did Slide & Glide this way yesterday and sweated buckets.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.