Anyone workout to manage their moods?

stephl

Cathlete
I've been working out consistently 5-6 days a week for nearly a year now. I have seen fitness gains, and some inches lost (would be better if I ate cleaner, LOL!) The major reason I workout so consistently and hard is to manage my anxiety and blue moods. I have been particularly anxious the past couple months because we are planning on moving back to the US (from the UK) sometime in the next few months. As the move depends on DH finding either another position w/ the Seattle division of his current company, or a position with another company, we are in a waiting period while he job searches. It makes me really anxious not knowing when things will happen - I'm kind of a control freak!

But, I have found that regular, hard, exercise (almost exclusively Cathe) has really helped with my anxiety levels. It's not helping my insomnia, but at least I feel better and energized from the exercise, if not adequate sleep. Even though I know exercise helps regulate and elevate moods, I'm still amazed at what a difference it makes in my day. Makes me happy to workout "with" Cathe and the crew, too.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

Yes, definitely! I find that exercise in general is imperative in managing my stress levels and keeping my moods balanced.

OMG when i am pissed i mean ready to riot, i pull out a cathe dvd and do a shortened 30 mins of a workout be it kickboxing or weights. i can really do some damage and rock a workout. exercise has helped boost my confidence more and i am not having so much panic attacks anymore. but when somebody gets under my skin for whatever reason, its nice to add an extra workout and pretend you are beating the heck out of that person LOL.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

Yes I found it did help my moods when I worked out with Cathe consistantly for 5-6 days a week.

I am now finding it very important to get back on track esp. since the past year I did not work out due to family problems mainly dealing with my father's prostate cancer which eventually claimed him last August '05 and the loss of my beloved dog who also died 3 weeks prior to my dad.

I know I should have continued working out but mentally I just couldn't and now I'm paying for it. My mood is just not as positive and all my strength gains plus tone is just about gone.

Granted I have started back up with Cathe's beginner rotation ( I shutter because I was very advanced :( ) and know I'll be back to where I was mentally & physically.

So yes working out hard w/ Cathe did improve my moods.

I work out for fitness and stress release. I am a very high-strung person.

Just a thought about your insomnia...have you tried melatonin? It is a chemical that is made in the pituitary gland and it regulates our biological clocks. Take it 30min-1hr before bed and it should knock you out...but make sure you'll be able to get at least 7 hours of sleep or else you'll be drowsy when you wake up.

-Becky

It works. I started suffering from really bad panic attacks and high anxiety in my early 20's and found the only thing to really help was exercise. I had knee surgery 4 weeks ago and have been able to really get good workouts in and can tell a big difference in my attitude with out the workouts. I also had really bad PMS mood swings this month w/out the workouts. I consider my workouts one of the most important things I do for myself.

I find that exercising regularly helps with everything. It does make me feel better. I also do yoga for stress reduction. That also helps extremely. I feel very relaxed after yoga.

I totally understand your situation. I've moved around to many different states. Not across countries. Exercise helped me. But I feel that yoga helped me more mentally with all of the transition that goes on. New place to live, not knowing anyone in the new place, new job situation or having to find one.

Good luck to you with your transition.

Stephanie,

I too work out to regulate my mood. About 2 years ago I was under a great deal of stress at work and my personal life was spinning out of control. I was just filled with so much rage that anything could set me off. I was crying all the time and just angry at everyone and everything. Finally I just couldn't take it anymore and joined a gym. And that was the best decision I made for myself. I worked out 6x/week and started taking yoga. I felt so much better in a matter of months. Now my gym membership has expired and I work out at home. I find if don't work out at least 5x/week, I start feeling grouchy and depressed again. I also continue to do yoga weekly along with meditation. Meditation has helped me stabilize my breathing and now when I'm stressed, I kinda check out to focus on my breathing, then check back in and I find that I am much calmer. I know I need to exercise to help maintain my sanity. The added bonus is, I have a nice toned and defined body to go along with my sane mind!! :p

Shon

PS In terms of the insomia, when I can't sleep, I centered in on my breathing and when other things come to mind, I acknowledge the thoughts, but let them drift away. I find that I fall asleep faster this way. (It's kinda like I'm meditating in my bed.) I do have to say now that I am exerecising consistently my sleep has improved significantly. May be you can try journaling as a way to release some of your anxiety and feelings of not being in control. Just trying to think of an idea to help you let go of some of the anxiety.

I do. I find I get to work calm and ready to deal with not-calm situations. I worry a lot too, and it helps with that, some days just because I can focus on something else for an hour. Sometimes I try to follow the Cathe workouts by doing the weight training exercises in the same sequence while watching something on Food Network, but I never get as good a workout. If only I could work out at night too so I didn't lie awake ticking through the worry lists from the day's events (on the left hand I've got all the To-Dos I've gotta take care of, on the right hand I've got all the "coulda/shoulda said/did whatever" situations from during the day I'm feeling bad about or just pondering).

Its a quality of life issue for me.Since I was 18 I have struggled with depression(treated successfully) and both of my kids are autistic.If I dont workout,things are much more difficult.Now,if only my jeans would stop cutting off my circulation!:+ I'd be on top of the world!

Exercise definetley improves my mood. If I am in a bad mood, my husband will say "have you exercised yet? I really think you need to...". I usually exercise around 7 pm and if that time has come and gone and I haven't exercised yet, I start feeling very anxious.

I can honestly say that the hour I spend with Cathe every night makes me a better mother and wife!!!!

Have a good day everyone!

Melissa

Becky, I do have some melatonin. I haven't used it much, because it seems to make me have very vivid dreams! And if I'm in an anxiety cycle, the dreams aren't that pleasant. But, I'm going to give it a try again.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.