Anyone use an Adkins type of diet?

Just wondered if anyone is uses Adkins type of diet? I've read a lot of success stories at other web sites so I thought that I'd ask here. If so, which books do you recommend? There are so many... Protein power, adkins, zone.... Thanks for any thoughts....

I've read and tried many of the books/diets out there including sugar busters, atkins, the zone etc and couldnt stick with them b/c they were too restrictive. I couldnt get used to the fact, especially with the atkins diet that you shouldnt eat fruits and even some vegetables, like carrots, were a no-no. I've had great success with a book written by A. Scott Connely called Body Rx. The advice in this book just seems to make sense to me, and it's easy to read and to follow.

:) Stacy

The Atkins Diet

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-17-02 AT 10:08PM (Est)[/font][p]Yes, I've used it and yes, I lost weight (dramatically.) But (also to be blunt): it is a very stupid way of eating and no One can or should stay on it for long. It can do alot of damage in terms of your kidneys, cholesterol--and carbohydrates are your body's favorite form of fuel. I am with Moderation Girl. Don't Do It!! Murph

RE: UFO's, Big Foot and Low-Carb "Diets"

The low-carb diet myth has been around since easily the 1920's, and if it really worked we probably wouldn't have the obesity epidemic we now face. Dr. Robert Atkins (may he rot in h*ll) has merely been the most successful pitchman for it.

If you go on this diet or one of its clones or twins, sure you'll probably "lose weight" - water weight and lean muscle tissue. You will NOT lose unhealthy storage fat. There simply is no fast way to lose unhealthy storage fat; you must maintain a good workout program comprised of increasingly intense cardio and progressive strength training, and maintain a healthy diet that's rich in complex carbohydrates, healthy fats and protein (protein, I might add, should comprise the smallest percentage of your eating program).

JMHO -

Annette Q. Aquajock

IMHO , Atkins diet is very unhealthy, even dangerous. Yes, some people can lose weight on it, but at what cost? What is more important: what the scale says, or the health of your heart and body? That's my 2 cents.
It's very scary to me when I see friends doing this diet. ALso as a side note, they always look as though they feel deprived (unhappy).
Anyway, please take care and don't do anything nutty. Slow and steady is the name of the game!
Kathy

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-02 AT 06:27PM (Est)[/font][p]I am on a type of atkins diet, although I wasn't aware of it up front. I want to just say that I DO eat fruit, I DO eat veggies, and I DO eat carbs, just not as much as I used to. I have been very successful in losing weight this way, I have TONS of energy, and I AM happy... Very happy at that.

Atkins is a very controversal way of eating for many reasons, but I believe, personally, that the biggest reason is because of what people hear, not by what they know. I was once a person who was very anti-atkins, but mostly because I didn't even take the time to research it. I went by what everyone else said, and most of them didn't research it either, they just went by what they heard.

I suggest you do some research yourself, and see what you find out. Dana at the FF is extremely knowledgeable and can answer questions. http://pub109.ezboard.com/ffirmbeliversfrm5
You can also go to a website called low carb busters, or something like that, and they can help you out as well. The key here is to remember, it is not NO carbs, it is LO carbs.

Blessings,
Cynthia

Hi Stacy! I'm with you on the BodyRX! Its the most comprehensive and sensible nutrition plan I've ever seen and believe me, I've tried them ALL!

Don't you want to just kiss Dr. Scott? :)

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-21-02 AT 08:22PM (Est)[/font][p]Cynthia et al,
Just wanted to repost this from another thread. I'm going to write more soon on the pros and cons of high protein, low carb diets. For the record, I'm not a person who just goes by what everybody else says. I have a master's degree in exercise physiology--part of my schooling included graduate level courses in nutrition. And I am familiar with most of the fad diets out there. There's no miracle in ketosis or in high protein diets--it is still a matter of calories out vs calories in.

As Bryant Stamford, exercise physiologist at University of Louisville so aptly put it, "The first law of thermodynamics tells us energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but can only be changed from one from to another. If you are going to lose body fat, you must convert the chemical energy stored in body fat to mechanical energy used in muscular contractions and other bodily functions.

That's a tall order, because just one pound of body fat contains 3500 calories. If you are on a diet and you lose weight, and if the weight you lose is from stored body fat, you should be able to account for all the calories--every bit of stored energy.

This cannot happen on a crash diet that causes rapid weight loss. A look at the numbers reveals thay don't add up. If you lost six pounds in one week, and if all six pounds came from body fat, here's what would have to happen: The six pounds of faat, at 3500 calories per pound, would equal 21,000 stored calories. The first law of thermodynamics demads that you would have to burn off 21,000 more calories than you took in for the week, or 3000 per day.

Is this possible? Yes, if you ran more than 20 miles per day. When people inform me (Dr. Stamford) they have lost a large number of pounds quickly, I (Dr. Stamford) congratulate them. In my (Dr. Stamford) mind, however, I am asking 'how many marathons did you run last week that contributed to your wieght loss?' The answer is, of course, 0 marathons.

What's more, the weight is usually lost without any exercise at all. How is this possible? On any crash diet, the first weight you lose always comes from stored sugar (glucose stored as glycogen). One pound of stored sugar accounts for 1816 calories. But you also lose three pounds of water that is stored with the sugar, for a quick loss of four pounds in just a matter of two or three days. After that, you start losing muscle mass. One pound of muscle provides only 700 usable calories.

With these figures in mind, it's easy to see how you can lose six pounds in one week and appease the first law of thermodynamics. According to the first law, to lose six pounds of sugar, water and muscle, you only have to account for 3216 calories (1816 from sugar and three pounds of water plus 1400 from two pounds of muscle equals 3216 calories). That's a far cry from the 21,000 calories that would have to be burned if the weight loss were from body fat."

This was taken from Dr. Stamford's article "Beware of Rapid Weight Loss Ads" which appeared this past Tuesday in his weekly column "Body Shop".

I was so impressed, I had to e-mail Dr. S and tell him how glad I was that he had published the column. This should explain to anyone why the weight loss occurs with Atkins and all other rapid weight loss plans, and why such a loss is undesirable.

Maribeth

Good column Maribeth. Makes sense. I'm working with a group of woman who are doing the atkins diet. They are losing, but their color looks bad. And looked as if they have aged. But stated they feel great though.

I came across this similar explanation on the Google group sci.med.nutrition:

There was an old Saturday Night Live skit where a couple went to an all you can eat restaurant. At the meal, they asked for the check, but the waiter expressed surprise reminding them it's "all you can eat". "We don't want anymore, we're done" they said. The waiter replied "It's not all you *want* to eat, it's all you *can* eat". He proceeded to tie them to their chairs and force feed them.

Re: the Atkins diet - there are several factoids that help answer your question

1) Say you get 50% of your calories from carbs before you begin Atkins. To maintain the same caloric intake during the induction period, you will have to double the amount of fat+protein you are eating. Let's just say that your maintenance calorie level is 2500.

2) During the induction period, the amount of glycogen in your muscles and liver will go way down, taking quite a bit of water with it. This can amount to 5-10 pounds in the first week or two.

3) To gain 1 pound of fat, you need a caloric surplus of 3500 calories.

4) To maintain your weight (ie, to offset the glycogen+water loss) you will need to gain 5-10 pounds of fat during the first week or two.

Let's say you lose 7 pounds of glycogen+water in the first 7 days. To offset that, you need to consume an extra 3500 calories of fat and protein per day. That's on top of the 2500 calorie maintenance level.

3500+2500= 6000

If that's divided into 66% fat and 33% protein, that's 495 grams of protein and 440 grams of fat.

That's a tremendous amount of fat and protein, and I'll bet it's much more than most people want to eat. If they eat less than that, they will lose weight during the induction period.

You could get 6000 calories by eating:

1 pound cheddar cheese
AND
2 pounds sirloin steak
AND
28 eggs

By the end of the first week you are almost certainly in ketosis, which is known to have the side effect of reduced appetite, which makes it effortless to eat less than usual.

[link:groups.google.com/groups?q=g:thl1305019188d&dq=&hl=en&lr=lang_en&ie=UTF-8&selm=Pine.GSO.4.31.0208091029220.19314-100000%40ascc.artsci.wustl.edu|sci.med.nutrition source]

And, ketosis is indicative of nothing in terms of fat metabolism as there are amino acids which are ketogenic in nature. In other words, to assume that a ketotic state indicates a large quantity of fat is being burned is erroneous. The ketotic state may just as well be due to the breakdown of protein--including the ketogenic amino acids.

Great info--I'm printing it out. I'm also going to post on the pro-Atkins site that is listed above.

Maribeth

i went on the adkins diet last year after my vacation in vegas. I had been working out with all of cathe's videos for quite a while. I found i had NO ENERGY at all. I was an ordeal to complete a workout. Also, i couldn't stand not eating vegies, fruits, and cereals. When i dropped off the diet (about 2 weeks) my energy levels came back. I am trying to add more fiber, watch portions, and alternate weights one day and aerobics the next.

But did you see the recent article in the New York Times magazine? I don't remember which week it was, but the article said that it looks like Atkins may have been right after all. I'll try to find the article and post it here.
-Nancy

Actually I do have that article ... I read it.

It has a certain spin on it. If focuses only on a couple of aspects. That is one thing that irritates me. You see, we humans for some reason need to focus on only a few things otherwise we get overloaded. Need more energy, take B12. Yes that's true, but you can easily overdose on B12 because it is a long lasting vitamin. If they would say, increase your metabolism, take B12 and we'd remember that.

Just my humble opinion ... what Maribeth said.

Keta. :D

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

"Great info--I'm printing it out. I'm also going to post
on the pro-Atkins site that is listed above."

Just a friendly warning :) -- several of the low-carb proponents on that site do not take very well to their diet being questioned in any way, shape, or form. Be prepared for backlash. I think it would be wonderful to see some balance over there and encourage you to post away, but I don't believe I'm exaggerating when I say that a flame war will likely erupt.

I'm glad you liked the info -- I thought it was great too!

JacquelynM

Thanks for the great information. Everyone tells me different (and totally conflicting) things that it's so hard to figure out what's right. I'm trying to eat whole foods, lots of fruits and vegetables and very few processed carbohydrates. I've been using Fitday.com to journal what I eat. At the end of the day, the percentages of the calories eaten comes out to be very close to the Zone percentages. This really surprised me because I wasn't trying to do the Zone diet. However, I eat slightly less fat (around 20 to 25% of calories come from fat depending on whether I eat something unhealthy during the day) and slightly more carbs (about 45 to 50%) than the Zone diet. My protein was as high as it is because I've been drinking a protein shake in the morning. Most of the carbs come from fruits like apples and grapes. Most of the fat (except if I cheat) comes from string cheese and nuts (pecans and almonds) which I've been eating to get more protein (although I don't eat more than a couple a day because they are so high in fat). My protein comes from the nuts, the protein shake and very low fat chicken breast. I also eat no fat yogart for snacks and sometimes a Luna bar.

Maribeth, do you see a problem with my diet? I try to eat about 1400 calories a day although I have a hard time eating 1400 calories if I'm eating healthy. I feel like I'm eating all day and that I'm not hungry (makes me suspect that I'm underestimating my calories). I'm munching on fruits and veggies throughout the day.

Also, should I eat more calories given that I work out? I use the Firm tapes 4 times a week and do intervals once a week and low impact aerobics once a week. I'm ordering PS and MIS and will try to do them once a week as well rotating them with the Firms. Am I eating enough protein and calories? Yesterday I cheated and had a chocolate milkshake (yummy!). I still only ate about 1400 calories because I only ate fruits and vegetables and a little bit of chicken for the rest of the day. Today I did a Firm total body tape and had a very hard time getting through it. I had to stop a few times because I felt so tired. If I do cheat (and it's going to happen probably once or twice a week because I don't have the disciple to eat clean for the rest of my life - btw, I only cheat a little bit, if I get a milkshake I don't get anything else at the fast food restaurant) should I try to eat the protein that I need for the day even if it means eating more calories?

Jacquelyn,
Thanks for the warning, but as I'm sure Annette will confirm, I don't worry at all about people not taking too kindly to questioning the pseudoscience behind their beliefs.

I'm going there later today and posting--flame wars can be fun!}>

No! No! No!

Never to on any "diet" if you can't see yourself still eating like that next year or the year after.

I have maintained a 45-lb weightloss for over 7 years. This was after about 40 years of yo-yo dieting. If you're going to follow any "plan" choose something like Weight Watcher's where you make it up as you go, choosing from different food groups. That way you'll find something you can actually LIVE with!

When I was a teen, oh so many, many, (many) years ago, I went on a high-protein diet of cheese, meat, and eggs. Oh, the horror, the horror! In those days, it was the "Dr. Stillman's" diet. Ya, I lost weight, but I turned into a real, bad-tempered cow (excuse the protein pun), and quickly gained the weight back because of my overpowering need to binge after the diet.

Patricia

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.