Anyone use an Adkins type of diet?

RE: Magic Ketones ;^)

Cbelle,

I'm with you, whenever I go above approximately 1400 calories I gain as well, everything else remaining a constant. I'm not going to label my "diet" here as low carb, etc...kinda scared to at this point lol!! It's no secret that everyone's body composition, metabolism, genetics, etc. etc. is all different. So, if you're energy level is good, I don't see any reason not to stick with 1400 calories. Just make sure you're eating a "clean" diet, in the words of our beloved Cathe! Don't get too caught up in the scientifics, just go with what works for you.

Take care,

Stacy

Cbelle,

I'm with you, whenever I go above approximately 1400 calories I gain as well, everything else remaining a constant. I'm not going to label my "diet" here as low carb, etc...kinda scared to at this point lol!! It's no secret that everyone's body composition, metabolism, genetics, etc. etc. is all different. So, if you're energy level is good, I don't see any reason not to stick with 1400 calories. Just make sure you're eating a "clean" diet, in the words of our beloved Cathe! Don't get too caught up in the scientifics, just go with what works for you.

Take care,

Stacy

Anyone old enough to remember "starch"?

Is anyone here as old as I am :) and remember when we were told to watch the amount of "starch" we ate?? That meant bread, pasta (except then it was called 'macaroni' ha!), potatoes, etc.

Is it my imagination or has it been since all the talk of eating 'carbs for energy' is when America begun losing their Battle of the Bulge?? It seems like suddenly it became all the rage to eat huge bowls of pasta and lots of bread (it had to be whole wheat though - that made it acceptable) and then call it OK because "carbs" were what made up the biggest part of that famous FDA food pyramid.

Now, don't get me wrong.... I believe in eating some carbs (Lord knows I love my bread and pasta :) ) BUT I also believe fruits and veggies are carbs which is an important thought that is easily forgetten when speaking of those much argued 'carbs per day' limits.

Thoughts anyone?

Bev K.

RE: UFO's, Big Foot and Low-Carb "Diets"

Thanks so much for posting this link!
I was frustrated when I read the New York Times article because I felt that he was presenting only the evidence that supported his thesis. He really did omit any contradicting evidence-- not the sign of good science at all! reading about how he decided some scientists were worthy and some were unworthy was a bit unnerving. (seems that he relied on "gut feeling" and of course whether they supported his personal biases)
I felt the statement that low fat diets have failed was true hyperbole. I mean, just because people buy low fat cookies or whatever can we say the typical American diet is truly low fat?
I also took issue with the fact that he seemed to say that the alternative to a high protein diet was processed low fat items. What about whole grains, beans, fruits, vegetables, low fat dairy products?
I saw in this week's New York Times Magazine food section that one of the food writers is on the Atkins diet and proclaims that it is prety mcuh scientific fact that the Atkins diet is the way to go, citing the "scholarship" in Taube's article. Arrgh!

Maybe you're at your optimal body weight. I think that a lot of us have unrealistic ideas of how much we should weigh especially if we have a lot of muscle. When I'm overweight I lose weight farely quickly by reducing my calories. However, there have been times when I've been unable to lose weight which frustrated me at the time. But looking back I think that I was the right weight despite what some weight chart said.

RE: Anyone old enough to remember "starch"?

Bev..
I believe it is just a matter of people not sticking with their "limits". Meaning, once you find out how many cals you can take in a day and not gain weight..well, once you go over that, over time, you will gain weight.

Like we have all said before, poeple want a magic "pill". Some expert comes out somewhere saying fibrous carbs get processed differently than simple carbs and all those all-or-nothing people beleive they can eat unlimited amounts and not gain weight. Wrong.

I think people are confused about how much food the body really needs to function. We are used to the portions in restaurants and they have become ingrained in us. Look at how much we should really be eating, and you almost think to yourself "NO WAY could that make me full". But it will. You just have to break the old habits, and that is hard. Nobody wants to eat one slice of pizza when it tastes SO good. Better to eat 3 and convince yourself that you are an athlete and you will burn it off later. NOPE.

But I think you are right. And I think Maribeth is right. And I think Cynthia is right. However, I do think a truly lo-carb, lo-fiber diet is WRONG. And obviously no one that has commented thus far appears to be on that kind of a diet, so we are safe!!!

Hey, and in many ways, "starch" is evil. Because you can never STOP eating it, cuz it just tastes so darn good!!!! Therein lies the true problem. Three bites of pasta is a serving and most people do not eat only three bites, you know???

I think people are confused about how much food the body really needs to function. We are used to the portions in restaurants and they have become ingrained in us. Look at how much we should really be eating, and you almost think to yourself "NO WAY could that make me full".

You've made such a good point! According to the Food Guide Pyramid, 1 serving of grain products equals: 1 slice of bread OR 1 ounce of ready-to-eat cereal OR 1/2 cup of cooked cereal, rice, or pasta. I've seen people eat their entire allotment of grain products before noon, and then wonder why they're overweight (have you seen the size of some of the bagels out there??). Also, the Food Pyramid is based on caloric needs. People with the lowest caloric needs are advised to eat only 6 grain servings per day. This would equal, say, 2 ounces of cereal for breakfast, 2 slices of bread for a sandwich at lunch, and 1/2 a cup of both a rice and pasta dish at dinner. The 11 servings of grains the Food Pyramid promotes as the upper level of intake are for people with the highest caloric needs, and is not advised for the vast majority of us.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-29-02 AT 08:27PM (Est)[/font][p]The funny thing is, Bev is that everything is a carb except for fats and proteins. I just find it funny that the word carb has came to mean junk food. When I was growing up ... there was a healthy way of eating and junk food eating. I grew up in the same era ... "Watch the starch," my mother would say.

The key is that when I was younger, my mother would cook and she would make things with beans and barley and quinoa and parsnips etc. We only had one McDonalds in our town and it was a real treat to go there. Maybe once a month. Now there is one on almost every major section of road, not to mention BK, Taco Bell, and others.

It's very easy, count your calories and your fiber, move your butt and drink your water. To heck with the rest of it.

Keep your food as close to natural as possible and as close to the ground ... soon, poof ... the mysterious battle of the bulge just kind of disappears.

I understand that fruits and veggies are part of the carb counts, but the unfortunate thing is that it's only some of them. Grains, beans, and lentils are not consumed regularly. And those are natures wonder foods ... the nutrients in them cannot be surpassed by fruits and veggies alone. Folican is the big hitter in beans and lentils.

The wonderful FDA does recommend that the American public get at least three servings of whole grains a day ... that's at least.

A consumer, these days, will pick up a loaf of bread that has the wonderful words "whole-grain." Thinking that they're eating good for them only upon some education and some investigation, it's not better than the white bread right next to it. It's from the labeling laws that this country has. I find it funny that now the low carb diets are now producing low carb pastas. Have you read the labels? It's amazing! Even those low carb nutrition bars have the following printed right on the fine print ... "On the back of the Atkins Advantage bar it states the following . . . **Polydextrose and glycerine, while included in the "Calories" count, have been omitted from the "Total Carbs" count as their impact on blood sugar / insulin levels is negligible. The original carb count on the bar was reported at 2.6 grams. " The real count was 42 grams of carbs ... how is that possible? Our wonderful labeling laws.

I will make a statement here, that if there is a bad food group it’s the junk food. And with all the processing that is going out there these days in the food industry, the junk food food group makes up at least 50% of our grocery stores. There is so much junk food out there put in “healthy” packaging that the consumer is taking it in the shorts … hips … stomach … etc.

I can honestly say that my entire family (a husband, two teenaged boys, and myself) goes through a pound of butter in three months – I’ve even had it spoil, yes it can spoil. We eat mayo two to three times a year. We eat regular pasta maybe once a month if that – now whole-wheat pasta we eat all the time. I cannot even remember the last time that we ate white bread or any other bread that uses those traps to try to catch the consumer on. That’s where the fiber rules saves my butt every time. Otherwise we go through whole-wheat @ 4 – 5 grams of fiber a slice maybe one loaf once a quarter. I usually have to throw it away. Potatoes, we have them twice a month. Processed foods, maybe once a week if I get on a pizza crave. We haven’t eaten a frozen dinner or meal thing in … I cannot even remember when we did that. We eat beans, lentils and grains (including meals such as cornmeal – which is rarely enjoyed these days by the mass population) everyday. Lots of veggies, lots of high quality oils (that’s my passion) … not too many fruits – it makes me very very sick. Dairy daily and meat on average three times a week sometimes more.

So, it that’s a low carb diet, then I guess I’m on one. The unfortunate thing is that low carb proponents usually don’t see that diet as a low carb diet. It’s high in protein, carbs, fiber, and low in fat. There is nothing off limits in the diet and I don’t have to supplement. Those two things right there send up red flags to me on whether a diet will be successful for long term or not.

I’ve went on and on about this. Now I’ll stop, but what is really the serious problem is that this diet and nutrition stuff has been made way to difficult for the average American. The average American is lazy about counting calories, cooking and planning. The average American doesn’t do enough investigation into individual foods and what are their nutritional contents.

Ok, off the soapbox.

Keta. :D

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

Absolutely excellent point JacquelynM! That's exactly what is wrong ... 11 servings really isn't that much, now is it?

[link:home.attbi.com/~marwrihu/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html|Home Page]

[link:mykbtfit.net/|KBT Forum]

hi! When i was in vegas, i saw and informercal on the atkins diet. I purchased it, which were 2 or 3 videos and bought the book when i got home. I lost 8 lbs in 2 weeks that were just plan hell. For the first 2 weeks or longer, all you can eat is meat, eggs, cheese, no caffeine tea or coffee (no sodas, even diet)AND NO CARBS AT ALL. You werent allowed any carbs and could only add them at small intervals when you had acheived your weight loss. I dont know where you found your fruits or vegies or salads on the this diet. Try eating meat, eggs, cheese, heavy cream, etc. for 2 weeks. I would like to see your energy levels. I hated all the foods that were reguired to eat. Needless to say, i returned the videos and got my money back. The key is moderation and portion control. I think the weight watcher point system is the best route but as my doctor told me, what ever works, waonderful BUT I would rather have you eat healthy and nutrious. Sorry about my spelling.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.