Anyone recovering from Eating Disorders

lesliemarie

Cathlete
I am going to admit it, I am anorexic and wondering if there is anyone out there that is recovering from an ED? I am in therapy now and working it out, I have been Anorexic with bulimec tendancies since I was very young, My question is this, will I ever think normal? and stop obsessing over food and eating and the scale and much more? how long did it take you to recover and is there such a thing as fully recover?

Hi there!!!
You are not alone, don't ever feel alone. I myself am recovering from an eating disorder, one that has plagued me on and off for over three years now. I am 18, and this last quarter I have taken a planned educational leave from collage to focus on my health and recovery. It has been slow, but I have made great progress! You can too, believe in yourself. It can pass, and it will, and trust me the moment you start to gain weight again you will only start feeling stronger, more beautiful, and confident, not to mention healthier! My role models are the strong healthy beautiful women like cathe and her crew, women who are fit and definately not week and scrawny!! I so hope to get to that point, to feel strong both inside and out. FOod doesn't have to be the enemy, which I have learned through my experiences. Your body deserves to be nourished, and once you break that barrier of fearing certain foods, I can not tell you how wonderfully free you will feel. It is hard at first, but once you start the road to recovery you will feel so much better!! I wish you the best of luck and am here for you, you can do it, you deserve to be healthy and strong. Trust me, with a little effort..ok, I know... a lot of effort (eating can be so hard!!) the rewards will be phenomenal. Your health is so worth it!! So dig into the peanut butter and live a little, you're body will only thank you in the end:)

Hi Lesliemarie,
I'm recovering from an ED too, about 4 years now. There's a book titled "How to Become Naturally Thin by Eating More" by Jean Antonello. It has really helped me a lot. I refer to it quite a bit. I think it's a great book, and it makes a lot of sense. It might help you with the obsession over food and eating and everything else that goes along with an eating disorder. Good luck, you will get better!!
Linda

Hi, Leslie, there is total recovery but it's a long difficult road and takes lots of reeducation. My last serious episode was when I turned 30. I weighed about 98 pounds and I was a mess when my family intervened. I quit smoking and took up running and that was the best therapy I could have found. It was a positive way to channel somewhat obsessive traits that are a part of my psychological makeup. I took a shot at exercise bulimia wanting to work off calories I ate but over time my mind set shifted and although I love my obsessively clean diet, I can indulge and do indulge and think of food not as an enemy, feared and despised. Recently I accidentally lost a lot of weight and discovered I no longer consider weight loss the silver lining to the dark cloud of depression or insomnia and that was quite a revelation. I never thought I'd ever reach a point at which I could try to gain weight and love it but I am delighted to report that I can. I don't spend every moment thinking about food I'm not going to eat. I am obsessed with complex carbs but who isn't? :)

Seek counselinng, Leslie. You need help and support and you'll learn techniques to change how you view food and how to develop a healthy relationship with your body. For me starvation was about not having control over my life and feeling what I ate, or didn't, was one thing I could control. Now I have no illusion that I have any real control except over how I deal with life and I feel certain I have the power to overcome anything and be happy even in the midst of tough stuff, at times. I heard a Pascal quote today about endeavoring to keep something beautiful in our hearts even in difficult times and it struck me as so profound. We live in a sometimes dark and scary world. The past week gave us two horrendous news stories of multiple murders, horrific violence. Every morning I wake my son Sam by raining kisses all over his face and pulling him gently to rise and shine and it's he and his sisters who keep me faithful and fearless because I love them so much I'll do anything to make this world a better place. They are my main source of strength and inspiration but there are so many others and those small acts of kindness and even just striving for a positive outlook and looking for the good stuff that's out there helps alot. It's there. I know you adore your kids and I'd use that as the inspiration for overcoming your ED. They are too important for you to lose too much time to your illness. And you are too important too. Keep repeating that to yourslef and find a way to believe it. Call someone tomorrow and get started on the rest of your life. You cannot fully live it if you don't and it's to precious to throw away like this. Do it!
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Maturity is the ability to do a job whether or not you are supervised, to carry money without spending it, and to bear an injustice without wanting to get even.

-Ann Landers

I am in therapy right now, He is helping to try to overcome this ED, I have to admit I am scared, I have had an ED since I was very young, it is how I dealt with my abusive parents. I have suffered on and off since now and I am now 38 years old. I did weigh once 95 pounds and I am 5'6" I am now at 120. I am working very hard to over come this ED.

Lesliemarie:

As Bobbi says, reccovery is a long, hard road, but there is much light at the end of it.

I began my eating disorder aged 15, and it continued unabashed, even as it changed its nature and travelled through many different stages, until I got pregnant aged 28. It wasn't until I reached that age and that moment of having someone else's well-being to think of that I began to see my body as something to respect rather than punish.

That does not mean that everything was hunky-dory after that point. I became rail thin again after this pregnancy, and dieted too drastically after my second pregnancy because I hated my flabby, post-pregnancy body, to the extent that my milk dried up and my baby was hungry, which I do not really forgive myself for. I loved breast feeding and was very sad to have to give it up. I felt I had failed my daughter.

What I have realized is that control is very much at the root of the issue for me, as is my lack of self-esteem. When things got bad, I turned all my anger, disappointment and frustration in upon myself and punished myself by not eating. Basically, if these bad things had happened, it must have been my fault because I wasn't good enough to have made things work out, so therefore I needed to be punished. Jeez, my self-esteem used to be god-awful, understatement.

I am working on it. I think I will never be anorexic or bulimic again, in fact, I know I will not. Like Bobbi, I found something outside of myself that makes life so worthwhile, and like Bobbi, it is my children, my two girls. I know that my mood disorders are gentically transferable to them, and also that my girls can be acculturated by me, unknowingly, to also hate themselves and have low self-esteem. I can no longer go around starving myself, putting my body through maraathon cardio sessions to punish it after I have eaten badly and too much one day, nor can I mutter diatribes of self-loathing around the house, becasue my daughters, and I too, deserve so much more and better than that.

Ultimately, this is the point you must reach: "Lesliemarie, you are worth so much more and better treatment that this". Your parents abused you. You did nothing wrong. You must not punish yourself for their mistakes. You, Lesliemarie, are a more valuable human being and worthy of evryone's respect. Here's where it starts: with you.

For the record: I am in therapy too, and probably will be for some time because my emotional problems were never addressed when they should have been, when I was an adolescent who thought that not eating and being thin, like the models in the magazines I read, would be the answer to my problems.

I turn 40 in May and I like myself better than I ever have done in my life. I now like how I look. I don't look 40, regular exercise helps me stay young and it is my life-line, as running is to Bobbi. I am tall and slim, have just spent 4 weeks training with the Slow & Heavy series and have crafted some great upper body muscle, so now I think I look really good. In fact, yesterday, I felt so good, I strutted to music for two hours in the morning. It has taken a long time to reach this point, but I am so glad i am here. When I look back upon my eating disorder days, I feel sadness most of all. Just think of all the opportunities and social invitations I turned down because I felt so bad about my body. I hate to think of all the time I wasted on self-loathing and self-punishment.

Eating disorders are a crime we perpetrate against ourselves.

Lesliemarie: keep hope alive, stay with your therapy even on bad days when you can't see that it is doing any good and don't feel like going. Those are the days above all others when really surprising self-discoveries can be made. It sure can be painful. I broke down terribly and was rendered speechless and shaking in last Wednesday's session: but the realizations I made will help me to live a better life and stop repeating my self-destructive patterns of behaviour.

Don't hide your problems from others through shame. Don't hide the fact that you go to therapy. Let people who matter to you and who care about you know these things. They can help. Their emotional support will be invaluable to you. I remember reading somehere that what endears us to other people is not our perfection, but rather our very imperfection. No-one can get close to and love someone who is perfect. Such people appear to need no-one. But people who are imperfect, with troubles they are struggling to overcome, are magnets for love, caring and giving from others.

My thoughts are with you, and if you need to print out these responses and keep them to re-read at dificult times, then go-ahead.

Clare :)

That's a great place to start, Leslie. The hardest part is being honest with yourself and saying no to the behaviour when it arises. We learn all the negative ways and it is stinking hard to change them. Exercise! When you love it, it becomes easy to think of eating in terms of building muscle mass and energizing workouts and doing so because the benefits of exercise are stress reduction and positive self image. You are tall and slim and will remain so by putting together all the components of a fit lifestyle. Exercising for strength, endurance enjoyment and eating for the same. Eating disorders set up a vicious circle but that can be rebuilt in to a cycle of mental and physical well-being. I remember being humiliated and angry about being watched and questioned about eating but that changes. In the beginning, it's best to not rely on yourself but to talk to someone when you feel fat and fear eating will make you fatter because that's a lie you tell yourself. Ask for help when you need it. There will come a day when you'll be capable of saying no about starving yourself but that takes work and learning to get a trusted counsellor, your family and friends to help you survive those moments is a big step in the right direction. We are sneaky little liars when we want what, we have to learn to recognize that. In a discussion I had with my mother-in-law about those dark days, she remebered taking me to dinner as was our custom when they visited. She said I ate nothing and pushed the food around on my plate. It was eggplant parm. I remember eating and feeling disgustingly full and fat. My perception was completley warped but my family was more than happy to help me change that. :) Learning to accept that they were motivated by love and weren't letting me get away with it until I had learned how was tough but I had no choice. Once I had gained about 8 pounds they started to trust me and it was at that point I decided smoking had to go and I discovered running and began to really change and to exchange the negative view of my body for a positive one. More importantly, I started to trust me and knew I could do it. It was gradual, taken in small steps but it happened. Set up a support system and let someone else call the shots until you learn how. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Oh, how I love that becasue as it turns out ife is a journey and our destination is good health and vitality but it's not a place we get to in the end. It's now. This isn't the first time you have cried out for help with this. I believe you are working to overcome. Do you? You have to say yes and MEAN it! You are not alone, Leslie. Fight!
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Maturity is the ability to do a job whether or not you are supervised, to carry money without spending it, and to bear an injustice without wanting to get even.

-Ann Landers

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.