Anyone out there that has a hard time finding a fitness buddy

Oh my gosh, yes, the whole eating and weight thing drives me nuts!! People say to me 'you can't weigh more than 100 lbs' or 'you must eat like a bird'. They are shocked when I tell them my true weight and how much I eat. All my muscle needs a lot of food, but they just don't get that.

EXACTLY. Little do they know with resistance training, your bones can get a lot more solid and you actually weight a heck of a lot more. The problem I am having is this....some gals love to force the processed food on me. I don't understand this logic. I don't force my fitness/nutrition passion on them. Why cannot they leave me alone??

I love this thread! I, too, use these forums as my fitness buddies and for inspiration. I know everyone here has so much knowledge and experience and you can get great advice! I love the comment about the "little workout DVDs at home. I think that is how most people see it.

And damn right, the older you get, exercise is even more crutial! I did Maximum intesity cardio last night and I couldn't help thinking to myself that I'm 47 years old and I can still rock some kick a$& workouts.

I was once told by a fat co-worker that she didn't like to sweat. Obviously.

I love this thread! I, too, use these forums as my fitness buddies and for inspiration. I know everyone here has so much knowledge and experience and you can get great advice! I love the comment about the "little workout DVDs at home. I think that is how most people see it.

And damn right, the older you get, exercise is even more crutial! I did Maximum intesity cardio last night and I couldn't help thinking to myself that I'm 47 years old and I can still rock some kick a$& workouts.

YOU ROCK, LADY! It's AWESOME! Most girls around my age bracket are afraid of sweat as well. They think sweat make them have acne. :p I don't quite understand how this logic goes. My male buds don't give a hoot about me sweating like a dog and wearing no makeup when I do go to the gym with them. (I count my little blessings in this regard. :D ) I love Cathe's workouts because it's very structured and no hype. I can always do it in my designated home gym if some me time is needed. :D

Unfortunately, for most out of shape, overweight people, just walking from the couch to the refridgerator, makes them sweat. (sorry, just sayin', my bad)[/QUOTE]

You are right, though. Unfortunately, in my experience, this same kind of peeps usually trash talk those who are dedicated to living a fuller life. When I said no to processed foods they brought in, they said I am a party pooper. It's quite hurtful. :( I am not perfect, but I will never ever have an acid tongue as such. The other day they managed to bring a small fruit/veggie tray for the party. They could have left it at that. But they just had to add some hurtful editorial comments. And let me tell you this...I work in a professional service firm. I guess unfortunately, it does not matter all that much even with higher education. :(

I was recently told by a very good friend to sell all but about 10 of my DVDs and hit the gym instead. He said that there's no way I can do that many workouts, and it's pointless to own them. They take up room and cause clutter. I then showed him photos of my home gym--and he said you have as much stuff as a gym! I was going to the gym, but his "get rid of them" ticked me off, and I haven't been to the gym in over a month--just Jo's gym. I couldn't be happier. And to add to all my DVDs, I also got Cathe's on demand! LOL I love it!

Nice thread people. I too came to the forums to "be with" like minded people. I had enough of trying to connect with people who ASK ME about fitness then scoff when they listen to what I have to say. If they work out its MAYBE once a week, snide comments about what I eat or don't eat. On and on it goes! I'm happy with my home gym. I recently loaned a couple of my Cathe DVDs to a co worker.....I said "these DVDs are my babies". She's trying to lose weight for her wedding. If anyone snears about my "obsession" as they call it, I invite them to join me at 5 am. Hey...I'm still wearing the same size for MANY years, I'm toned, strong and happy! I have my fitness friends here on the forums as well as Cathe, Cede, Jai, Lorraine , Brenda, Deezie, Al......see? I have a lot of fitness buddies!

GREAT discussion!! I have been exercising with Cathe and at gyms since the late 80s/early 90s. At times, I wish I could go back all those years for a "do over," as I've had my on and off bouts with working out for a variety of reasons. I wish I would have been more consistent and done some things in my life differently, but there are no "do overs," unfortunately. I cannot even believe that there were actually times (many years ago) that I felt GUILTY for working out! As if I was being selfish for taking the time to do something that was important to me. How absurd!!

I am so grateful for Cathe, Facebook, these forums, and all of you fabulous Cathe fans. I have NO ONE in my face-to-face sphere of influence who is at all interested in fitness and nutrition, and frankly, it does bum me out. I do belong to a gym because I enjoy variety, and I also like to go for the social aspect. I'm retired, so I do need to get out of the house every now and then. Haha.

ilovefitness, I envy you for having the fortitude to persist with your fitness and nutrition goals, and I commend you on your successful professional development! Bravo, young lady!

Lucky you!! I love to find someone passionate about Cathe and other workouts locally.

One of the group fitness instructors at my health club knew of Cathe and told me how much she loved her!! I was stunned because this was the first time in all these years that I met someone who had heard of Cathe! I'm still shocked that there are people out there who have never heard of Cathe! Are they living under a rock?! LOL

Unfortunately, for most out of shape, overweight people, just walking from the couch to the refridgerator, makes them sweat. (sorry, just sayin', my bad)

You are right, though. Unfortunately, in my experience, this same kind of peeps usually trash talk those who are dedicated to living a fuller life. When I said no to processed foods they brought in, they said I am a party pooper. It's quite hurtful. :( I am not perfect, but I will never ever have an acid tongue as such. The other day they managed to bring a small fruit/veggie tray for the party. They could have left it at that. But they just had to add some hurtful editorial comments. And let me tell you this...I work in a professional service firm. I guess unfortunately, it does not matter all that much even with higher education. :([/QUOTE]

You know what? Those trash talkers are just jealous! And frankly, you're correct. Education does not always equal common sense and courtesy. Keep up the great work!! High fives to all of you Cathletes!! :D

I was recently told by a very good friend to sell all but about 10 of my DVDs and hit the gym instead. He said that there's no way I can do that many workouts, and it's pointless to own them. They take up room and cause clutter. I then showed him photos of my home gym--and he said you have as much stuff as a gym! I was going to the gym, but his "get rid of them" ticked me off, and I haven't been to the gym in over a month--just Jo's gym. I couldn't be happier. And to add to all my DVDs, I also got Cathe's on demand! LOL I love it!

I know exactly what you mean. I love Cathe's workouts - no frills and well-structured. :) Many people go to the gym doing the workout du jour or blindly follow the celebrity-endorsed workouts. IMHO, some of Cathe's Low Impact Series are tough. LOL. I challenged some of my male buds to do the Slide & Glide, and they lacked balance.

I own many workout DVDs as well, but mostly Cathe's. I truly believe challenging my body in different styles of training is the way to go instead of doing the same thing over and over again. :)

Nice thread people. I too came to the forums to "be with" like minded people. I had enough of trying to connect with people who ASK ME about fitness then scoff when they listen to what I have to say. If they work out its MAYBE once a week, snide comments about what I eat or don't eat. On and on it goes! I'm happy with my home gym. I recently loaned a couple of my Cathe DVDs to a co worker.....I said "these DVDs are my babies". She's trying to lose weight for her wedding. If anyone snears about my "obsession" as they call it, I invite them to join me at 5 am. Hey...I'm still wearing the same size for MANY years, I'm toned, strong and happy! I have my fitness friends here on the forums as well as Cathe, Cede, Jai, Lorraine , Brenda, Deezie, Al......see? I have a lot of fitness buddies!

Thanks for your response. I am the OP here, so I am happy to hear I am not the only one suffering from this plight. :) A majority of people just wish to get 'instant' results without hard work. Like you, I get up early at 5am to sneak in a one hour intense workout. I don't believe the same group of people should have a right to judge what I opt for in life. My goal is health and solid nutrition first and foremost. It seems most people relate fitness to aesthetics only. I mean aesthetics is nothing to shame upon, yet this should not be the only goal in life.

GREAT discussion!! I have been exercising with Cathe and at gyms since the late 80s/early 90s. At times, I wish I could go back all those years for a "do over," as I've had my on and off bouts with working out for a variety of reasons. I wish I would have been more consistent and done some things in my life differently, but there are no "do overs," unfortunately. I cannot even believe that there were actually times (many years ago) that I felt GUILTY for working out! As if I was being selfish for taking the time to do something that was important to me. How absurd!!

I am so grateful for Cathe, Facebook, these forums, and all of you fabulous Cathe fans. I have NO ONE in my face-to-face sphere of influence who is at all interested in fitness and nutrition, and frankly, it does bum me out. I do belong to a gym because I enjoy variety, and I also like to go for the social aspect. I'm retired, so I do need to get out of the house every now and then. Haha.
:(

Wow, Carol. Thanks for the feedback. I so appreciate it and you have no idea!! Because I feel so alone in my fitness journey with no female fitness camaraderie, that's why I started out this thread. It was due to my curiosity as to whether there are ladies out there suffering the same plight as I am. I am glad I have found female like-minds here. :) I have participated in other fitness forums. I find Cathletes are the BEST, KNOWLEDGEABLE, COURTEOUS and COMPASSIONATE bunch so far. :)

I love Cathe's workouts and likewise, I don't understand as to the reason why not many people know about Cathe. I think it might have something to do with Cathe's workouts don't sell on the 'frills' aspect - just solid and well-structured. My male buds have been thoroughly impressed with some of Cathe's metabolic and weight workouts I mean Cathe and the gang are tough as nails. :) LOL. I challenged one of my male buds to do Turbo Barre...such a sight. :D:D:D:D

Also I think most gals here in my locale are sold by the fitness or nutrition miracle du jour either endorsed by celebrities or by media trends. They will give it a try and then give up on it 2 weeks to one month later.

Hi ladies!!
I am in the same boat! I am not what you call a fitness model lol, [emoji16]. However I do love to workout and be as healthy as I can! I have tried to be since my kids were born! I don't know having my kids flipped a switch for me. I wanted to be healthy for them. I lost 70 pounds after having kids and that was from being overweight all my life. I did get off the wagon about 15 yrs later and gain some back however I have been back at it now for three yrs again and I to wish I never got off the wagon!
I just discovered Cathe three yrs ago! I found her by Internet! I try to tell everyone about her. People ask me how I have lost weight or how do I keep my arms tight and I tell them Cathe. But I'm still 15 pounds overweight! But I'm solid and I like that. Cathe has made me like my body where it is. I find that hard to do. I mean I don't really look 15 or 20 pounds overweight Cause it's more solid then before and I want to tell everyone yet no one really wants to hear it! Lol I am now recouping from surgery and I'm only 5 days out and I miss my workouts already! I don't have anyone to workout! People do roll there eyes or say something like you eat right exercise guess what you die anyway. Humm well how rude. Lol. My sister even, she is very skinny and she never hardly eats but smokes, and drinks coffee all day and other stuff I won't say lol. I don't even say anything about what I do or eat, but somehow she manages to jab at me and say, I eat what I want it's moderation. And at same time she says I just need to tone up, and ask me how to get toner arms. I tried to tell her all she needs is to lift weights and some cardio and eat healthy but she won't listen. Then says I can't exercise cause my back hurts so bad I got (and tells me all that is wrong with her back) and mind you nothing about her back is wrong that isn't the same thing that is wrong with mine. I told her a long time ago you have to try to build up the muscles in your back along the spin and all your back muscles it helps. The more you sit the worse it hurts. But she continues to make fun of me. Like she knows I don't like I have big boobs and I still have. Few pound to lose she saw my bra and said goad that's as big as my head. So I learned not to say anything now. When she starts I just look at her and smile nice.
I have one sister who gets it! She is in Florida though and she is very competitive or I don't know how you describe it. She thinks running is the only thing there is. Well no she does cross fit to but won't do any thing other then those two things. But we get along well and we do talk about health when we can and we try to encourage each other. But it really is hard not having anyone near you at all. My husband sits In his building after work and listens to news and drinks beer all evening, my son will play video games all evening and I really want to spend time with them so much so I ask over and over if they will walk with me or jog or do a Cathe weight workout with me. They won't do it, they say to tired to do it or not interested. I worry to cause my son was told he has a fatty liver already. And no I do not make bad food for dinner. When I cook it is healthy and that is why he don't eat here much. It bothers me cause I have tried to teach him eating healthy. I really am not sure what keeps me motivated to keep going. So I do know a lot of it is the forums ! I come here to read the way everyone feels after there workout and it makes me want to get up and do it again!

Hi ladies!!
I am in the same boat! I am not what you call a fitness model lol, [emoji16]. However I do love to workout and be as healthy as I can! I have tried to be since my kids were born!

Wow, I am the OP here and thank you for sharing. I appreciate your passionate post. I am sorry to hear that one of your sisters did not share your passion in fitness. :( I hope that you are recovering well from the recent surgery.

Again, I think most people don't seem to get how fitness can enhance the quality of life and reduce stress level. Most of the local gals here are crazy about the thigh gap or the workouts that will give you long lean muscles. After trying it for a couple of weeks, they complain about sweat and hard work and go back to their old ways.

For me, that's fine since it's their choice. Just please don't force the myopic view on me. Funny thing is I don't get such snide remarks from men. That's why I started the thread here. (At most, a few men here and there would say "Don't try to look like a Hulk." LOL on that. The more I lift, the more I lean out. :p )

True!! I have noticed I have lost two pants sizes and only lost 10 pounds!! So I really did lose some fat and people could tell!! I still have one maybe two pants sizes to go but not wanting to be as little as I got down to before! I had gotten down to 103 and that was way to little for me an d all I heard was I was going to blow away. So I have been on both sides. I am now strong and meaty lol but getting leaner! My BP is 110/64 average, HR was 64.... And that is good. After surgery everything went remarkably well and vitals went right back to where they were before surgery so they even made a remark on how well I was recovering and nurse ask will we need blood work doctor told her no need she is healthy, I won't need it. Doctor even made a comment that I can go back to jogging sooner then I think, I didn't eve mm tell him I jog or work out so that to me makes me feel awesome! If the scales say I am 15 pounds over yet the doctor says I can go back to jogging well thanks Cathe !! Lol! At my age with all that positive stuff who cares about a thigh am gap ! And really at any age! I would love to have a muscled thigh then a gap. I guess it is in the eye of beholder. I really think if we lift and eat right the body will balance itself out to be the size it is meant to be. A to skinny will be filled out more and a to heavy will lean out. It just seems to work that way. And I love anatomy! Just awesome stuff!

True!! I have noticed I have lost two pants sizes and only lost 10 pounds!! So I really did lose some fat and people could tell!!

I am happy to hear of your progress and thank you for sharing your fitness journey. Oftentimes for me, it's like this. The more people diss at me, the more I vow to improve myself. LOL! I think I am done with getting upset or stewing in frustrations over their remarks. I am gonna do what's great for me. :p

I am happy for you that you have a positive view of your body. :)

It's easy to be skinny - basically just don't eat much and you will be skinny. But then, what is the point? Will your health improve because of that? Cathe and the gang plus Kelly Coffee-Meyer are my two heroines. ;)

Wow Renee you are so inspiring and congratulations on your weight loss! I know you've had some hardships in the past that have been shared and I'm so glad you continue on your journey. I hope your recovery goes smoothly - and I love the boob comment LOL, your sister's just jealous!!

Thank you Jamie! I have a strong faith in God for one thing and I still feel I need to be strong for my other son. No matter how old they get I feel we always need to show a standard for every age. They are always watching us even if they don't know it. Lol Plus he feels alone now since losing his brother. And I know it isn't just me that hurts we all do. So I have to keep going. I have no choice really. I might as well be as strong physically as I can. Thank you really I needed that

Hello Ladies,

How on earth have i missed this thread? I am quite surprised only few of us chimed in.There must be more on the same boat!

:D:D:D lol reluctance to sweating causes acne what is the logic!??
Anyway, I do feel the presure from extended family when it comes to nutrition.
I do not force anyone into choosing their nutrition, I just want people around to respect and accept my choice.
For us folks here, fitness is a LIFESTYLE:)

Story: My brother in law who is now overweight for at least 40 pound bought fast food one day while I was visiting my sister's house.
He offered fatty chips (thick french fries) served with fatty sauces and deep fried cod:oops::oops:
I declined. He lectured me and stated: I just love the same food He likes.:D:D:D no I don't
I respect his choice of not only eating as much as he does but also his poor/mediocre choice!:confused::confused:
The same brother in law lost weight years ago doing atkins diet. He lost the weight running every day (no resistance training at all), got bored and gave up. Went back to old eating habit and there you go!

I had all those stories at work. When it comes to tea time in england and there is biscuit, cookies, muffins etc... around.

To reply to the question, I have no one around me who understand my connection to fitness.
I am actually to the point of regularly attending the gym. It would be cool have a buddy to share interest:):)
My family think I talk to much about health and fitness. I decided a while ago not to mention it.
I only mention when it comes to dating. I think it is important element to know. Usually I do not have to mention
cause they do notice.

• The more people feel jealous /threatened of what/by I have achieved to improve my health and appearance.
  • the more they give me hard time because I do not opt for their poor choices in nutrition,
  • lack of activity, reluctance to having a "cheat meal" week end fatty food,
  • Going with the flow when it comes to working out instead of setting goals etc...
The more I get inspired to improve my nutrition and venture in various training.

Keep it up ladies ;-)

Last edited:
I find Cathletes are the BEST, KNOWLEDGEABLE, COURTEOUS and COMPASSIONATE bunch so far. :)

I love Cathe's workouts and likewise, I don't understand as to the reason why not many people know about Cathe. I think it might have something to do with Cathe's workouts don't sell on the 'frills' aspect - just solid and well-structured. My male buds have been thoroughly impressed with some of Cathe's metabolic and weight workouts I mean Cathe and the gang are tough as nails. :) LOL. I challenged one of my male buds to do Turbo Barre...such a sight. :D:D:D:D

Also I think most gals here in my locale are sold by the fitness or nutrition miracle du jour either endorsed by celebrities or by media trends. They will give it a try and then give up on it 2 weeks to one month later.

In Europe,there are few celebrities endorsed workout. They usually get launched during christmas/ new year time. They don't sell.

In fact people do not have a clue about working out at home. No one believe he/she can get into a great shape from home. The concept of working out at home is simply not existent in europe well at least in not in UK, France and Belgium.
I wish we could have some article and figures as to how many people in world actually workout at home and/or outdoors.

I did get stared at like an alien and was told I was a freak when I mentioned I work out at home every day five o'clock.
It is a lifestyle, a commitment and a DISCIPLINE only few people understand!
They do not understand but want to look like you, feel healthy like you and have a breathing skin like yours!:)

I feel the same when it comes to interacting with cathletes here.
This forum is a great place:)

Last edited:
In Europe,there are few celebrities endorsed workout. They usually get launched during christmas/ new year time. They don't sell.

Nathalie,

I am the OP here. THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR YOUR FEEDBACK. I still remember you, cuz you gave me great advice on that one exercise in Turbo Barre I am still struggling to master. YOU ROCK! Thanks to a forum like this where I can get solid advice without sales pitch. :)

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on your fitness/nutrition journey. I am lucky in a way that I am from a family of medical doctors. So at least on the nutrition and fitness part, no one gives me any headache. However, even then, medical doctors in general aren't well-versed in sports nutrition, etc. I still have to resort to other means to broaden my knowledge in the realm of fitness and nutrition. ;)

I know about UK. :) I have a job that takes me to many countries. I don't travel as much any more, and lately only to Europe. So I know all about the European mind-set on fitness. Thanks again for confirming my personal observations. I was in France earlier last year. Most Americans have positive stereotypes of the French, particularly women, being slim. I have found the opposite in certain regions of France. I am not here to put a negative spin or single out any particular country. I am just stating the fact that most women there do NOT lift weights. If they do, most use pink db's. The refined carbohydrates dominant in the diet aren't helping, either. However, they do have less obesity problems compared to the States. In Asia, the same - skinny fat is quite prevalent there. Here in USA, we're touting the Mediterranean diet. Yes, it's a great diet principle. However, I also discovered that the Greeks are a lot fleshier what with the lavish use of fat - extra virgin olive oil, for instance. I really think nutrition should be all about balance. Too much of a good thing is never good for you and macro nutrient ratio varies upon each person. There's no magic diet formula. The bottom line is to stick with 'whole' foods. Ah, also, fitness is a fantastic way to achieve fountain of youth among other things such as mental/physical well-being, etc.

Nice to make your acquaintance here. I am so glad to see there's a Cathe fan outside the USA. :D ROCK ON! ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.