Anyone else bothered by heavier weights not going with beat of music?

putz168

Cathlete
I really like that there are heavy weight series in the new 4DS, but I have to say it threw me to be lifting to a count that did not go with the beat of the music. I found myself turning my head to see where Cathe was so I knew if I was going too fast/too slow, but that isn't ideal for maintaining proper form. Thoughts?

Beth L.

I have read a lot of posts where people have really been turned off by this and I have to say while it threw me at first, if you are going truly heavy and I mean your max then the music WILL NOT matter. I say this because I was doing chest and back after HIS and was using 30 lb dumbells in each hand for the chest flys. There was no way I could have stayed with the beat even if it was much slower and that would have compromised my safety.
When you are working with heavy weights have you ever noticed that maybe the last rep or two you will eventually slow down as you bring your muscles to failure? It makes sense that Cathe would do the same because rather than try and follow a beat then when it gets really difficult have to slow down she just stays slow the whole way. Trust me I was lifting to my max and even though I was not watching her I was pretty much on count with her, I found that I naturally went the same speed as her with such heavy weights.
Sorry this is so long but lots of people like I said have been annoyed by this and this series I really think will increase your STRENGTH which there are not many home instructors that can say they took me from doing chest flys with 15's to 25's or 30's which is what I believe you will get with this series.

nkuangel

RE: Anyone else bothered by heavier weights not going w...

It bothered me the first time through, because I always expect to lift with the music, however, now I'm really excited at the thought of really being able to get into much heavier weights at home.

I've been keeping notes on how many reps she does for each exercise, so that I can kind of go at my own pace and not keep trying to look at the screen. So far I've kept pretty good pace with her. I might be off by 1 rep earlier than her or later, but thats it.

I think with time, you'll get a rythm down.

Maggie:)

Never bothered me a bit and many posts also say that as well.
Its what you get accustomed to. Many of us work out on our own as well as with Cathe & we use music... depending on the particular rotation you are rarely "on the beat" in weight lifting.
Actually one of the best ways to get a better cut & confuse muscles (if you only want to work with DVDs) is to do a Cathe workout intentionally using a different rep / lift pattern- }(

I never really noticed it. I rarely notice the music or beat really when I'm doing weight work especially really heavy weight work. I really try to concentrate on form and getting that weight up. I've been working out at a fitness boot camp place for over a year now and we are next door to a cheerleading facility. Those girls can get really loud and there is always counting and music in the background. I guess I've just learned to tune out when I workout.

It bothered me at first as well. But then I tried to match Cathe's weights and realized that there is NO WAY I can go to the speed of the music using 30 lb dumbells. It's not physically possible without serious risk of injury. So try and go heavier and see if the beat of the music doesn't bother you as much. You'll be more focused on how hard you're working!

But I definetely see where you're coming from. Not working to the beat is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me--unbearable! I was really turned off at first with this new series because of that. But once I started going heavier, I changed my tune. Give it a shot!
You may always be bothered by this, but I wouldn't put the series to the side because of it.

Allison

It doesn't bother me. In fact, I think 'going with the beat of the music' is somewhat counterproductive for muscle and strength gains. I got very used to not following the music with P90X.

HOWEVER, I wish Cathe would have said how many reps we're doing at the beginning of the not-with-the-music sets, so we can pace ourselves, especially on moves where we are not facing the screen.

Now, it REALLY bothers me when an instructor is off the beat of the music on cardio workouts (and Cathe has done this very occasionally, in some 'side-to-side' moves, like in either IMAX or Bootcamp---or maybe both--where the side that was on beat 1 and 3 transitions into being on beat 2 and 4 when she gets off beat, but she doesn't do it habitually, thank goodness!)

I agree.

Go heavy and you won't care. I was so focused on doing those chest flies/bench press/back rows I didn't even bother to count, nor do I care how many I did compared to Cathe. I did them until I couldn't do them anymore and when Cathe stopped, I was totally fried.

I don't think Barry's Bootcamp follows the beat very well either, but the results I have gotten from that dvd series have been quite suprising. Same with P90X - I don't recall following the beat of any music on that entire series really ( is there even music ) funny I don't remember. I was too busy focusing trying to get to my 'goal' reps.......

I guess what I want to say is that you don't have to follow the beat of music to see results. . . I think the Cardio portions in this Four Day Split series seem sooo much easier to me because I just finished the rotation with Barrys Bootcamp and the cardio is 20 mins of fun, sweaty torture - but you don't follow a beat with that series either - you just go as fast as you can, do as many burpees as you can, ect while the music just plays in the background but isn't utilized for counting or anything......

Stick with it - I know I will get some nice strength gains from this series. }( }( }(

<<if you are going truly heavy and I mean your max then the music WILL NOT matter>>

Bingo! You just set me straight. Thanks!

I use light weights the first time through a weight workout so I have been unhappy about not following the beat of the music myself. Now I understand the reasoning behind it. The next time I do these workouts, I'll REALLY heavy up, and I'm totally sure the beat won't matter. In fact, I prolly won't even hear the music.

I really love these workouts. :D

>Now, it REALLY bothers me when an instructor is off the beat
>of the music on cardio workouts (and Cathe has done this very
>occasionally, in some 'side-to-side' moves, like in either
>IMAX or Bootcamp---or maybe both--where the side that was on
>beat 1 and 3 transitions into being on beat 2 and 4 when she
>gets off beat, but she doesn't do it habitually, thank
>goodness!)

Kathryn, as much as a fixture as you are here on the forum, sometimes things are better left unsaid. Just a gentle reminder.

X

Thanks everyone! ... and you were right! Going heavy all I could hear was my muscles saying "Ow! Ow! Ow!" Love that feeling!!!!

You got that right!

I went as heavy as I could tonight.

OMG............What music? :p

I'm so glad for this thread. :D

I don't mind not following the beat if the music seems like it is "background" music. (P90X is a good example of this).

The problem with the music in the 4DS is that it still feels like it's front and center with a distinct beat. We are cued to "ignore the beat". I'd rather have music that had less of a distinct beat and was easier to ignore.

I found it much easier just to turn the music off and play my own in the background. (The music is not my taste, so it's not a great loss to me).

Also, I think it's easier either be cued to go at our own speed entirely (like P90X where you are given the time needed and you do your chosen number of reps without regard for the instructor), or if that's not the case, there should be cueing on each rep so we don't have to look at the screen to make sure we don't run out of time.

The way it's done in the 4DS feels somewhere in the middle, and it's sort of uncomfortable as is IMHO. I don't think I'd ever use it without the music off option.

JMHO. :)

It doesn't bother me at all b/c we needed some variety with the lifting. It also allows me to pick a number and lift to that number...it may be one more or one less than Cathe but who cares as long as I'm eeking out the maximum possible reps that I can at the maximumn weight I can muster.

Now, I wish some motivating, less recycled music had been used in KB (especially in KB) and BC. I love the music and LIS and I really like the music in HIS but the music in KB and BC leave a lot to be desired in my opinion...but that is a different thread.
Angela:7

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.