anybody else with arthritis

psusoccer17

Cathlete
So I have been working out to my cathe dvd's for 15 years. I have always been what I considered advanced, never needed to modify, and was in the best shape of my life until 2 mo. ago. I am only 53 and have developed arthritis in my knees, back, fingers and feet. My rheumatoid factor is negative, so it is all osteoarthritis from wear and tear. I always thought exercising would keep me from developing arthritis, or at least keep it at bay until later in life, as it is a familiar trait in my family. I tried swimming but it hurts my knees, any cardio bothers my knees even biking. I am doing UB wt lifting but am starting to notice some shoulder discomfort. Anybody else have any issues similar that could give me advice as to what works for them. I really don't want to loose all that I have worked so hard for all these years. I recently started doing yoga again which is ok, but I don't get the "endorphin" rush I get with cardio. Any suggestions will be helpful.
Thanks,
Katie

I get arthritic flare-ups from time to time. I also have shoulder tendonitis that is just not going away. I'm finding I am losing some of my strength but I am going a little lighter on some weights, especially upper body. I am only on day two of eliminating most wheat from my diet. Hopefully I will see a benefit from this, especially with inflammation. i just don't want to push it anymore with exercise so that I need pain relievers to sleep.
I'm having a little red wine right now, that seems to help with joint pain. :)
Sherry

So I have been working out to my cathe dvd's for 15 years. I have always been what I considered advanced, never needed to modify, and was in the best shape of my life until 2 mo. ago. I am only 53 and have developed arthritis in my knees, back, fingers and feet. My rheumatoid factor is negative, so it is all osteoarthritis from wear and tear. I always thought exercising would keep me from developing arthritis, or at least keep it at bay until later in life, as it is a familiar trait in my family. I tried swimming but it hurts my knees, any cardio bothers my knees even biking. I am doing UB wt lifting but am starting to notice some shoulder discomfort. Anybody else have any issues similar that could give me advice as to what works for them. I really don't want to loose all that I have worked so hard for all these years. I recently started doing yoga again which is ok, but I don't get the "endorphin" rush I get with cardio. Any suggestions will be helpful.
Thanks,
Katie

There's a lot of different options that you could try out. I have some OA in my right hip, a fair amount in both knees, some in my hands, and a tiny bit in my right ankle. (I'm thirty-four years old, but OA runs in my family.) I also have fibromyalgia, which certainly adds to the "fun". :s I have to keep my workouts really well-balanced. Mixing up the cardio- not all step, all the time or lots of high-impact every single time when it comes to cardio (fun as that is). Cardio three times a week, four max. I have to balance fast-paced, metabolic-style workouts with slower, old school weight-training that includes more rest periods. If I do the three Gym Style workouts in a week, for example, that's generally all the weight work I do for the week. I may add in more core training and perhaps another day with floorwork for the legs, but otherwise, three GS are plenty. I do ten minutes of stretching a day or so on average, but when I start doing much more, I'm heading into dangerous ground. I already have a flexible body genetically, less joint stability by nature (very common with OA-prone people), and I cannot handle loads of stretching day after day. I do concentrated core training three times a week. More than that...back and neck pain. Alternating strength workouts for the lower body that are based more on barre or floorwork (and that target the smaller muscles) with ones more focused on standing, barbell/dumbbell work is best for me. I have to train my hamstrings, medial glutes, adductors and abductors a LOT with floor and bridge exercises to prevent knee pain, for example, because I have legs that hyperextend a lot at the knee naturally. I've never lost ground by switching up my training like that. It's when I let things slide that I know are my personal weaknesses, or let things get out of balance that I get into trouble with pain.

Like some great people pointed out to me on the forums here, working out less may seem counterintuitive, but training less can actually create better results. A great body is built during the rest period after a good workout, not during the workout itself. I have to check myself frequently to be sure I'm not overtraining. What that line in the sand is for everyone is different, but when I exercise more than 60-70 minutes a day, 5 or 6 days a week, I know I'm going to be crossing my personal threshold into pain territory. I don't necessarily like it, but I'm learning to honor the limits. Fresh or jarred garlic and a solid dose of anti-inflammatory herbs or spices - turmeric is the BIG one that helps OA - can also help in a major way.

Are you taking any supplements or medication for the OA? The jury is still out, but a glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM supplement like Osteo Bi-Flex has helped a lot of people. I notice a difference when I take it. It isn't cheap, but a good brand is worth it. Some people like fish oil, flaxseed oil, or chia seeds for a healthy fat source. I like an extra-virgin coconut oil supplement myself. Great for the hair and skin, too! Nutrition becomes more and more essential as we age. I simply cannot get away without fueling my workouts properly anymore, and recovery demands top nutrition. Getting enough high-quality vitamins, minerals, fats and protein in your diet are essential. Whenever I get lazy about eating enough protein, do I ever pay for it! Eggs, chicken, soy-free protein powder, and extra-virgin olive oil are huge staples for me. And cutting out sugar is big...honestly, when I cut out chocolate alone, I noticed a major difference in joint pain relief. I don't know how or why sugar and arthritis are related, but I'm not the only one who has found this to be true for them.

Hot or cold packs, saunas, massages, hot tubs, an aspirin here or there...those can all help a lot. Sometimes it's the little things we do or don't do that cause the biggest issues. Sometimes it's things that seem trivial, or things we think we should be able to overcome if we "just got fit enough". Shoes that aren't the greatest come to mind immediately (a problem many of us on the forums run into constantly these days, it seems). Flooring we work out on that's not optimal for joints in the long run. And so on. Look at one or two things at a time that you can alter for a trial period, experiment and be willing to change your exercise plans, listen to your body...you won't lose your fitness level if you continue to do something every day, even if it seems "way too easy" by old standards. There are lots of ways to work around and with OA.

Thanks for your response, I have tried to keep as active as possible but I end up in soooo much pain even after a walk. When I do yoga and wt lift I feel ok, the minute I start any type of cardio my knees kill me. I am taking turmeric, boswelia, devil's claw and glucosamine, they help a little but not a lot. I have celiac disease so I don't eat any gluten or wheat products, little to no sugar. I have been getting massages every 2 weeks which help . I really want to be able to w/o without being "wiped out" with pain for the rest of the day.

Have you seen your primary care physician? I'm guessing you have, if you've been screened for RA. I assume you have been diagnosed by a health professional for celiac disease? this wasn't something you figured out on your own? I have a family member with celiac and I know how sick she got before she was properly diagnosed.
that seems pretty abrupt to have all these different joints go south. so I would make an appt if you haven't. celiac disease is an autoimmune disease so maybe something else is going on.

Thanks for your response, I have tried to keep as active as possible but I end up in soooo much pain even after a walk. When I do yoga and wt lift I feel ok, the minute I start any type of cardio my knees kill me. I am taking turmeric, boswelia, devil's claw and glucosamine, they help a little but not a lot. I have celiac disease so I don't eat any gluten or wheat products, little to no sugar. I have been getting massages every 2 weeks which help . I really want to be able to w/o without being "wiped out" with pain for the rest of the day.

Hmm. Well, that sounds more acute or severe in nature - particularly if this came on sort of suddenly and not gradually - than OA. Are you also fatigued, besides the pain? Are your joints swollen? Is the pain untouched by NSAIDS? Do you feel what is more indicative of nerve pain, too- pins and needles, or numbness? These are things I'd review seriously. If you're already taking those supplements, not overtraining, eating well, drinking plenty of fluids, rotating and balancing your training, then what you're describing is quite severe and not really comparable with only having OA. Particularly for someone as young as you are, and as fit. Now, hormones, cold or damp weather, stress, sleep quality, things like that take a toll, but...I agree with TrailDoggie- see your physician.

I can say with fibromyalgia and OA that any cardio lasting longer than 30 minutes or so (including brisk walks) done on concrete absolutely kills my joints. (I can hike dirt trails and non-concrete areas okay.) A few months ago, I went for long walks two days in a row: first day, 30 minutes; second day, 45 or so. Felt okay at the time, stretched both days when I got home, rubbed my calves before bed, etc. The next day, however, I felt as if I'd been run over by a truck. It took three days of complete rest from all activities to exercise again, and my Achilles tendon was unhappy for weeks. My right hip felt as if it had been punched. Not one NSAID or fibromyalgia med I had in the house touched the pain. Ungodly.

I was astounded- I regularly do an hour of really tough, sweaty cardio with high steps, step aerobics, plyo jumps...and I couldn't handle a brisk walk?! But I walked the trail behind my apartment and the cul-de-sacs around me, ALL of which were asphalt or concrete. An indoor track or treadmill might have been better, but I read later repetitive-motion cardio isn't the greatest for fibromyalgia or arthritis. I also thought my Achilles tendon would split in two, it hurt so much. I hate that I can't just go for long walks any old place and be pain-free. I'd have to walk really regularly to build a tolerance, and take the serious chance of further nerve and/or joint damage. I don't think it's worth it.

Please see a doctor, but in the meantime, just take it easy on yourself. I know it's hard, believe me, but it is far easier to maintain fitness than to build it from scratch. You will maintain if you keep doing what you're doing (yoga, weights). Just use this time as positively as possible, look at it as a chance to maybe try some lower-impact but still challenging exercise formats. I learned Pilates, Yoga, Tracie Long training, and The Method during some of my "achy" periods, and it always improved me in the long run to do new stuff.

Wow, I'm reading this thread and I'm confused.
My Mother had arthritis in the legs, had to get a shot of pain killer every 3 months for relief until she started walking on her treadmill 30 minutes a day every day at 1.6mph. And her arthritis is gone completely.

I have arthritis in my right knee, whenever I workout I put ice gel and a knee band on my knee, and I'm able to do squats lunges and pliees without any problem.

I also thought that arthritis goes away with exercise until I read this thread. ???

Yes, a major treatment for arthritis is movement. If you stop moving, the arthritis stiffness and pain increase. Find whatever ways you can to keep moving.

Now is a time to re-evaluate your fitness program. It may entail saying goodbye to ways in which you used to workout and adjusting (to) others. Work through all the mental steps of denial and anger until you get to acceptance of this major fact. I have just spent the entire winter doing exactly that. All of us diagnosed with arthritis (me, in both hands, aged 49, this winter) are learning how to manage our condition and adjust so that we can stay healthy, keep fitness as our passion, but not quite as we used to do.

According to research shown to me, and of which I have a copy, by my Occupational Therapist in February of this year at the University of Michigan hospitals, it is NOT TRUE to say "the jury is still out" regarding the usefulness of glucosamine in treating arthritis stiffness and pain. Scientific fact is that it works and it helps, if you take the correct dose, start now, commit to it and stick with the program. The brand that has been proven to reach joints and stay there to ease pain is called CosaminDS. Take 3 capsules per day for about 8 weeks, at that point you can drop to the maintenance dose of 2 caps per day, and continue daily. I started a month ago and plan to continue for the rest of my life.

It is time for us to investigate forms of fitness we have previously eschewed. Pilates, swimming, low impact workouts, barre, yoga, whatever weight training you can bear, all of these can hep with arthritis of hip, knee and back. Invest in lifting hooks to help continue with weight training that does not exacerbate pain to the hands. I have just bought some and will be trying these out. Others I have spoken to here on the forums have already been using them and tell me they definitely help you to continue weight lifting if you have arthritis problems in your hands and fingers.

My occupational therapist basically taught me that I can still do whatever I need to do in my daily life, but I have to reduce the intensity of my activities, i.e., I can't clean the whole house in a day anymore. Rather, I have to break it down to only one room per day, or a couple hours gardening per day, no more. I made myself some heating pads: sew 2 pieces of material together to end up with a 10" square. Make two of these. Fill them both with 3 pounds of cheap rice each. Sew up the remaining opening in the material. Heat the pad for min in microwave. Place hands on one heating pad, and place other heating pad on top. This provides massive relief to pain, stiffness and discomfort. You can apply the same technique to your knees, hip, etc.

Hope this helps,

Clare

Yes, a major treatment for arthritis is movement. If you stop moving, the arthritis stiffness and pain increase. Find whatever ways you can to keep moving.

Now is a time to re-evaluate your fitness program. It may entail saying goodbye to ways in which you used to workout and adjusting (to) others. Work through all the mental steps of denial and anger until you get to acceptance of this major fact. I have just spent the entire winter doing exactly that. All of us diagnosed with arthritis (me, in both hands, aged 49, this winter) are learning how to manage our condition and adjust so that we can stay healthy, keep fitness as our passion, but not quite as we used to do.

According to research shown to me, and of which I have a copy, by my Occupational Therapist in February of this year at the University of Michigan hospitals, it is NOT TRUE to say "the jury is still out" regarding the usefulness of glucosamine in treating arthritis stiffness and pain. Scientific fact is that it works and it helps, if you take the correct dose, start now, commit to it and stick with the program. The brand that has been proven to reach joints and stay there to ease pain is called CosaminDS. Take 3 capsules per day for about 8 weeks, at that point you can drop to the maintenance dose of 2 caps per day, and continue daily. I started a month ago and plan to continue for the rest of my life.

It is time for us to investigate forms of fitness we have previously eschewed. Pilates, swimming, low impact workouts, barre, yoga, whatever weight training you can bear, all of these can hep with arthritis of hip, knee and back. Invest in lifting hooks to help continue with weight training that does not exacerbate pain to the hands. I have just bought some and will be trying these out. Others I have spoken to here on the forums have already been using them and tell me they definitely help you to continue weight lifting if you have arthritis problems in your hands and fingers.

My occupational therapist basically taught me that I can still do whatever I need to do in my daily life, but I have to reduce the intensity of my activities, i.e., I can't clean the whole house in a day anymore. Rather, I have to break it down to only one room per day, or a couple hours gardening per day, no more. I made myself some heating pads: sew 2 pieces of material together to end up with a 10" square. Make two of these. Fill them both with 3 pounds of cheap rice each. Sew up the remaining opening in the material. Heat the pad for min in microwave. Place hands on one heating pad, and place other heating pad on top. This provides massive relief to pain, stiffness and discomfort. You can apply the same technique to your knees, hip, etc.

Hope this helps,

Clare

What I meant by the jury is still out is that it does not help everyone who takes it, and not all of the scientific literature is consistent, not that there was no evidence to support its use at all. :)

Thanks everyone, I have been to my family doc, knee doc, and have an appt with a rheumatologist in April. I am willing to try anything as long as it is not a pharmaceutical med, the side effects are just not worth it to me. It all started with an effusion in my knee, I took the NSAID the doc prescribed and it killed my stomach. I have adjusted to the fact that I will never be able to do the high impact w/o's, but I was hoping to be able to do other low impact exercises. Even swimming was killing my knees! I would be in the middle of the pool and my knee would lock up and I would have to doggie paddle my way back, so frustrating. I can walk my dog (25min) as long as I wear knee braces and ice the remainder of the evening. I tried to do CSS and low max (which have always easy for me), iced immed after, and the rest of the day I had knee and back pain (I tried them on separate days). I realize there is no easy cure, I just wanted to see what others who have OA do to continue being active, I really need to be active!!!

Thanks everyone, I have been to my family doc, knee doc, and have an appt with a rheumatologist in April. I am willing to try anything as long as it is not a pharmaceutical med, the side effects are just not worth it to me. It all started with an effusion in my knee, I took the NSAID the doc prescribed and it killed my stomach. I have adjusted to the fact that I will never be able to do the high impact w/o's, but I was hoping to be able to do other low impact exercises. Even swimming was killing my knees! I would be in the middle of the pool and my knee would lock up and I would have to doggie paddle my way back, so frustrating. I can walk my dog (25min) as long as I wear knee braces and ice the remainder of the evening. I tried to do CSS and low max (which have always easy for me), iced immed after, and the rest of the day I had knee and back pain (I tried them on separate days). I realize there is no easy cure, I just wanted to see what others who have OA do to continue being active, I really need to be active!!!

I don't know if it's true for everyone, but going back to serious weight-training helped my hand and wrist strength a lot. I had started to have trouble, about two years ago, lifting full dinner plates and heavy grocery bags, etc. Weight-training reversed all that, and then some! That said, I still have pain in my hands, particularly in the morning.

Pinched nerves can occur when we work out frequently (or just have a predisposition to them) and they've created lots of pain at times. That's the only other thing I could think of off the type of my head that might be exacerbating your pain.

I've been there, and it sucks. I remember when even doing yoga would leave me limping for a few days afterwards. Sometimes our bodies are strangely cyclical. I have periods of flare-ups, although whether that is more related to fibromyalgia or OA, I've never been able to find a clear answer. But even people with no medical conditions at all seem to experience this. We have periods of tremendous strength, be able to do just about anything pain-free, and recover quickly. Then we have other periods of time where every little thing makes us ache, feel fatigued, or actually puts us in severe pain. Step aerobics are technically low-impact, but of course the actual pounding to our knees is fairly significant. I like that workout, but use it in moderation myself. I prefer cardio workouts that rotate four-limb, step, hi/lo, and maybe a little kickboxing in the time allotted, but I like variety, too. :) I wish I had the answers for everything, but it depends on so many factors- weather, stress, genetics, etc. :( I just wanted to reach out and say don't give up, you're continuing to move and be proactive about getting care, and that's what counts.

Liz

You may be experiencing inflammation due to leaky gut letting things inside your body that don't belong there and then showing up as inflammation throughout your body. This is a common problem for celiac's. Do you know if you have leaky gut? I have used a Ayurvedic treatment called triphala for my leaky gut. I took it for three weeks. I also took a really good probiotic. They really seem to help with the leaky gut symptoms. Also, my mother takes ginger for her arthritis. It has really helped her a lot.

I just wanted to be sure you had seen qualified medical people . it sounds like you have... and seeing rheumatology is a good next step. they will order some tests and hopefully give you an idea of what's going on & guide you in the right direction.
It's unfortunate you couldn't take non steroidal anti-inflammatories. .. but we're all different, and the only way to tell is to give them a try. many people ( like me) do fine with them but not everyone does. I am older and have some arthritis issues but I've been able to modify and adapt. Best of luck to you and let us know how you're doing.

What I meant by the jury is still out is that it does not help everyone who takes it, and not all of the scientific literature is consistent, not that there was no evidence to support its use at all. :)

Liz:

I am sorry, I meant no disrespect to you at all. I simply wanted to correct any misnomers to ensure that the poster had adecuate information to make an informed choice. The research I have seen, however, is not in doubt, so I cannot agree with you that it remains inconsistent. Not all brands of glucosamine are effective. Not all have passed muster: cheaper brands will not cut it. The brand I mentioned has been proven through adequate research, to make its way into joints and therefore to provide relief to sufferers. Glucosamine does not harm. We lose nothing by trying it, if it is a recommended brand, of proven effectiveness. There are few remedies, reliefs, medications and yes, even fitness approaches, that benefit absolutely everyone to the same degree. That does not, however, mean that they are all invalid and not worth trying.

Wishing you, and psusoccer, all the best as you continue to experiment and find relief for this disheartening condition.

Clare

Liz:

I am sorry, I meant no disrespect to you at all. I simply wanted to correct any misnomers to ensure that the poster had adecuate information to make an informed choice. The research I have seen, however, is not in doubt, so I cannot agree with you that it remains inconsistent. Not all brands of glucosamine are effective. Not all have passed muster: cheaper brands will not cut it. The brand I mentioned has been proven through adequate research, to make its way into joints and therefore to provide relief to sufferers. Glucosamine does not harm. We lose nothing by trying it, if it is a recommended brand, of proven effectiveness. There are few remedies, reliefs, medications and yes, even fitness approaches, that benefit absolutely everyone to the same degree. That does not, however, mean that they are all invalid and not worth trying.

Wishing you, and psusoccer, all the best as you continue to experiment and find relief for this disheartening condition.

Clare

I didn't take it as disrespect at all, Clare. :) I wasn't clear in how I initially phrased things to the OP, and it's perfectly okay that you clarified glucosamine's effectiveness for them. Have a good week!

Liz

Sorry to hear what you're going through and I can relate. It can be depressing :(
A few months ago I started some big dietary changes that has helped my arthritis considerably! It's also reduced my stress and anxiety... I take fermented cod liver oil with high quality butter oil (Blue Ice by Green Pastures), make my own bone broth, take collagen hydrolysate (Great Lakes brand), switch to grass-fed meat and dairy (which was for humane reasons at first), switch to organic, cut out sugar (and sugar substitutes), consume probiotics (kombucha, kefir, fermented vegetables), and lastly I started adding a raw organic egg to my morning smoothie. Nothing low fat anymore because over-processing (making low fat products) kills the good enzymes and nutrients; that was hard to do since I grew up believing in Low Fat this/that but seriously it did more harm than good. I was afraid I'd gain weight switching to full-fat but that has not been the case at all. I'm doing what I can to reverse the damage and it's working! My muscles are much more developed because they're getting the proper nutrients and I feel so much better.
I hope sharing what is working for me will help you and maybe even someone else!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.