Any Retin-A users??

buckeyegirl

Cathlete
Ok, so I do my best to keep sunscreen on and at LEAST limit exposure to my face, but at 40 years of age, my teenage stupidity of baking in the sun with baby oil slathered on me is finally catching up with me:confused:\

My dermatologist Rx'd me Retin-A to use to help even out skin tone, etc. I haven't used it yet because I know you really have to watch sun exposure when on it (I run in the sun a lot) and I'm afraid of having the whole "oh my god, why is her face flaking and peeling off" phase...

Any experience out there with Retin-A or any other topicals for sun/age spots/uneven skin tone on the face?

Thanks,
Heidi

I use Retin-A and love it. I turned 40 this year and my skin started looking kind of grey. Even my husband noticed it. The Retin A works, for that anyway. I wasn't to kind to my skin either as far as the sun is concerned. I would just make sure you apply a good sunscreen everyday before you go out and you should be fine. HTH!

I use the generic cream version of Retin A. I am 26 and it had done wonders for my skin. It has cleared up my painful cystic acne, faded scars and evened out my skin tone. I have been using it for about 1.5 years now. When I first started using it I did get that omg face flaking look but it only lasted for the first couple weeks so I considered the benefits worth it. I have pale skin that is extremely sensitive to the sun and what I put on it but have not had any trouble with it irritating my skin once I got used to it. My daily face cream has an SPF 15 in it. If I do not have any sunscreen on my sun exposure has been limited. So I would recommend giving it a try if you can stick out the first couple weeks.

Hi Heidi...:)...I was diagnosed with adult acne at 30. My dermatologist prescribed Retin-A. I have used it ever since. It did wonders and luckily for me as having oily skin I never had any kind of flaking or redness from it. I also run and use sunscreen everyday. When I am out in the sun either running or working in the yard, besides the sunscreen I always wear a hat or visor. I am 49 now and most people would have never guessed me as having an acne problem. My skin is very clear and even toned.

I have used Retin-A for several years and love it!! (I haven't been able to use it the last 9 months b/c I am pregnant). I don't really have trouble with acne anymore, not even during my pregnancy. I also use it around my eyes to prevent fine lines. A little bit goes a long way--I usually only need a few small dabs.
Like the other posters have stated, just wear sunscreen and you should be fine. My daily moisturizer has an SPF 15. If I am out in the sun all day, I apply a higher SPF sunscreen.
If it is irritating to your skin, you could possibly try using it every other day until you are used to it. Did you dermatologist give you any recommendations?

Wow, well it sounds like I should dip into my $75 dollar tube of cream that insurance didn't cover!! Regarding my dermatologists recommendations, quite honestly, I've had this tube for almost a year but have been afraid to use it - especially in the summer...

I'll just try to find a time when I have two weeks where I don't care if I'm slightly freakish - perhaps in Jan. after the holidays when we're in "hibernate" mode, lol...or I could walk around like Samantha in Sex and the City when she wore a black vail after having a horrible chemical facial peel -- omg, what would my clients think of that, lol..

Also, I do get my eyebrows waxed monthly - I've heard that Retin-A can cause thinning of the skin/make you more prone to tearing/reaction to waxing - thoughts?

Thanks for all the replies..
Heidi

I've had great results so far. I've used it for about 1 year, the first 4 months or so I had slight dryness, so I used it about every three nights. Now I use it nightly with no problems.

Any ideas on how close to the eye area could we use it?

Kristy

Heidi,

Retin A is kind of rough in the beginning, but your skin will adjust. I've used it on it's own and with Obaji blender. It helps to use it with a blender.

I'm curious about it for my DH who has cystic acne and substantial scarring. Are there any dangers or drawbacks?

Also, would it be useful for someone like me who is just aging at the usual rate with no particular skin problems other than loss of elasticity and a few brown spots?

ETA: I was just reading about it and it sounds like the winter might be a good time to try it, as it would be easier to avoid the sun. It sounds like a good choice for my DH, but probably not a great choice for me. I'll just continue to use foundation to cover up my little brown spots.

Last edited:
Nancy,

Retin A is great for ALL women! You would need a less stringent cream compared to someone with cystic acne.
I use a low strength creme for cosmetic reasons, my son used a higher strength gel for acne. That is why you need a prescription. Insurance will cover it if it is for acne.
If you want it to remove fine lines, improve pores, skin tone etc. Look for a doctor who uses Obaji. The combination is fantastic!

Edited to say...you will spend around $300-$400 for the Obaji system, but it last almost a year. You replace one bottle of cream here and there.

Heidi...with a letter from my Dermatologist every year (a pain I know) I get my Retin-A covered by sending the letter to my Insurance Co.

I did have a nasty reaction to hot waxing the 1st time. It was like a sunburn.
Weird as I do not use Retin-A there? Anyway I switched to cold waxing and that has worked very well...:)

Just a little tip, start out slowly! Use it at night before you go to bed before you moisturize. First use it every 3rd night, then every other night, then every night when you feel your skin has adjusted to it. That way you can avoid the nasty irritation & peeling.

Cynthia - How do you use the Obaji for fine lines. I have both the Retin A and Obaji but am not currently using them both on my face. Would love to know how to add it together because I definitely have fine lines that I would like to see less of!:p

I'm a Retin-A user, for acne as a teenager and for acne & skin improving as an adult. There is some redness and flakiness when your skin is first getting used to it, but if you use only a little bit and possibly every other night at first (with doctor's okay), that helps.

Be very gentle with your skin (I use Cetaphil to wash) and no scrubbing or exfoliating. No astringent, either. Your skin will look worse before it looks better (especially if you're acne prone), but it is worth it in the long run. My only small gripe is that it can make your skin look kind of shiny, but that's a small price to pay for smooth and beautiful skin!

When I get my eyebrows waxed there is some redness for the first couple hours. I just make sure I get them waxed at the end of my day when I know I will just be home for a couple hours. I only started getting them waxed after I went on Retin A and since I have fair sensitive skin they might have gotten like that anyway.

I just started using Retin A for improving the texture and fine lines in my face. Insurance didn't cover it :mad: but it works and is so worth the $$. As Laura posted earlier, start out slow and build up to using it every night. I haven't had too much trouble being in the sun. It does make you more sensative but sunscreen and a hat works for me.

JJ

Cynthia - How do you use the Obaji for fine lines. I have both the Retin A and Obaji but am not currently using them both on my face. Would love to know how to add it together because I definitely have fine lines that I would like to see less of!:p

The retin-a will help with fine lines. The obaji boost the retin-a, helps exfoliate the skin, and lightens darks spots. The entire obaji regimen helps rejeuvenate the skin.
http://www.obagi.com/article/forpatients/obagi-crxsystem/obagi-crxsystem.html
You can buy some of non prescription obaji products on line, but you really should see a professional who will give you the combination of products that best suit your skin type.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.