Any Ice Skaters?

LaughingWater

Cathlete
The girls and I recently picked up ice skating. We are in no way athletes of any kind, so it ain't pretty, but we're enjoying it. DH used to play hockey, so he's pretty darn helpful, but I thought I'd ask around on the forum. Any fans?

I know Spring doesn't really bring "ice skating" to mind, but we're weird. :eek: When everyone else is headed to the center with their tennis rackets, dressed in shorts, we're in light jackets and gloves.

Ice and roller, though not often. The whole family went to a 10 year old birthday party at a roller rink recently and my husband and I skated more than any kid! It was a blast!!

enjoy!
-Beth

I figure skated competitively for about 12 years when I was younger. I think it is one of the most beautiful sports around. I still skate for pleasure but no more spins.....I get really dizzy now and sick to my stomach:confused:

Living in Canada on the prairies as a child skating was the only thing to do for 5 month stretches. We never had lessons, but my dad would take us on ponds or creeks and we would skate for miles and miles.

My brother had hockey skates and my sister and I had white figure skates (standard issues Christmas present every year). I still have my skates from Christmas 1975!!!

My husband is/was a hockey player. Played up to junior, so his last pair of skates was built for him. He still uses them.

I still have a frostbite mark under my right eye from a -40 skating night. Turns white in the cold....(my parents used to kick us out of the house every night in the winter to go skating).

Former Figure Skater and Ice Dancer here! :) I used to teach too, but all that seems like another life now. I haven't been on the ice in about 3 years.

Oh, excellent. :)

My girls are brand new to the ice. I've skated on and off over the years, but nothing spectacular. I could make it around the rink without breaking hip.

Now I bought my first pair of good skates and I'm picking up speed. :eek: I tried skating backwards today ~ wiped out, but it was fun.

Homeschooling allows us to go to the rink during weekday morning public skates, which is fantastic. No crowds! Usually we are accompanied by a hockey player or two, a figure skater, and a couple of skating teachers. Today, it was just the 3 of us and one of the hockey regulars.

If you guys don't mind, I have a question. Do newly sharpened blades take some time to get used to? I had super old skates before ~ God only knows what kind of shape the blades were in. Now that I have these cool new skates, the boots are awesome, but my right blade seems to slip a bit when I push off laterally. That is, until the ice gets chewed up...then I have excellent traction and feel like I'm grabbing the ice a little better.

Hope I explained that well. Otherwise the skates are great. It just seems like my right blade is simply skimming the surface of the ice when I first get out there (and the ice is nice and super smooth).

It could just be me, of course. Peggy Flemming, I ain't! :D

Last edited:
Lori - Yes! Newly sharpened blades definitely take getting used to! The edge is super sharp and will get stuck in the ice a lot easier. Usually after a few times out, you are good to go again. ;)

Growing up in Metro Detroit, skating is a part of life. I used to skate on an outdoor rink in a park that the city used to let Chrysler have their outdoor hockey leagues on and other groups. Those days were great!! After skating outdoors, it was difficult to get used to inside ice or conditioned ice.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.