Any Forty-Somethings out there who are struggling?

I've read in a few places that a little extra weight during the change process is actually good for you and helps to control some of the "symptoms" such as hot flashes and anxiety. Mother Nature has her reasons. Of course, that doesn't make it any easier to accept when you just want to fit into your clothes!

I had no issues in my forties, but now that I'm in my mid-fifties I'm starting to see a bit of what you're referring to. It seems pretty gradual so far, and I'm just hoping it will stay that way! Did it happen all at once for you?

Janis, how are you doing it? I think I'd rather be fat than give up fresh fruit, coffee and peanuts. You named 3 of the things that make my life worth living! :eek:

Last edited:
I am so thankful for this forum. You ladies make me feel less alone on the road!

I did feel my body shift pretty much overnight. It seemed like one day i woke up with a belly i never had before. My being raised Italian where food was constantly present and using food as a "feel better" tool throughout my life has made it more difficult to reach goals. I have never been one who "eats to live", so making good food choices is always on my mind. It is so true that our bodies do not require as much fuel as we give them.

Janis, how are you doing it? I think I'd rather be fat than give up fresh fruit, coffee and peanuts. You named 3 of the things that make my life worth living! :eek:

I didn't give up coffee or fruit, but I did give up peanuts. I replaced them with cashews, and do not miss peanut butter at all. The cashews taste so good! I have 1/4 cup of cashews and 1/4 cup of Almonds everyday. Nuts are my favorite time of day....they are really great with a square of chocolate.;)

Cathe posted a few months ago that she was switching to Paleo and thought giving up peanut butter would be tough for her.....I wonder how she is doing with that?:)

LOL! :D

Many of the items that made my list also made me feel like crap. Eliminating them made such an immediate and noticeable improvement I never miss them or yearn for them.

Fruit - well - that was the last BIG break-through. It made the list for 3 reasons. I noticed a huge difference in my blood-sugar and, therefore, sustained energy levels when I ate fruit. I experienced big spikes up and down. I also noticed, and I mean really noticed, that eating fruit triggered sugar binges, which often turned into even larger binges. i.e. "well, so long as I'm eating this xyz food that makes me feel terrible, I may as well eat ABC." We all know about those useless binges, right? Finally, I had been puzzling over some IBS issues. Eliminating all fructans brought me immediate relief - immediate. I went from huge bloated belly and horrible cramps, to not having a single episode in the 60 days I have been off fruit.

Peanuts - for me - mold. Terribly allergic.

Coffee/black tea - migraines, which I have only had two of, and both in conjunction with hormonal changes, but thus far I have not had a re-occurrence since abstaining. Recently, I had a little sip of Turkish coffee - and bam - a headache was right at the outskirts ready to accelerate home.

I agree, btw, with your statement: "I've read in a few places that a little extra weight during the change process is actually good for you and helps to control some of the "symptoms" such as hot flashes and anxiety. Mother Nature has her reasons. Of course, that doesn't make it any easier to accept when you just want to fit into your clothes!"

I had to accept the extra five pounds that my body wanted, and turn my back on the body weight number I had arbitrarily decided upon. Eating more fat and having a little bit extra weight makes my skin look very good. And heck - every day I look a little bit more like Ilaria, so what the hell am I complaining about!? I'm 5 pounds heavier, but I'm wearing the same clothes I was wearing last year when I was 5 pounds lighter.

One of the shifts that occurred for me in my consciousness was noticing all of the skinny little old ladies. Slim and fit is good, but .... the other....not so much. :D I don't want that either!

I posted on your thread, Nancy, http://cathe.com/forum/f97/best-way-monitor-fitness-improvements-289362/ Right before the fold, as it were, #10. I am so glad you are doing better, and are looking forward to regaining your physical fitness. You go girl!

:D

Last edited:

I had to accept the extra five pounds that my body wanted, and turn my back on the body weight number I had arbitrarily decided upon. Eating more fat and having a little bit extra weight makes my skin look very good. And heck - every day I look a little bit more like Ilaria, so what the hell am I complaining about!? I'm 5 pounds heavier, but I'm wearing the same clothes I was wearing last year when I was 5 pounds lighter.

One of the shifts that occurred for me in my consciousness was noticing all of the skinny little old ladies. Slim and fit is good, but .... the other....not so much. :D I don't want that either!

ITA! I'm 10lbs heavier than I was in my 20's, but the same size. I don't believe we have to live with belly fat though. There are many examples of women in their 50's who do not have the dreaded meno-pot belly. Tosca Reno is a perfect example.

ITA! I'm 10lbs heavier than I was in my 20's, but the same size. I don't believe we have to live with belly fat though. There are many examples of women in their 50's who do not have the dreaded meno-pot belly. Tosca Reno is a perfect example.

I believe the menopausal women without a tummy had surgical help. Tosca Reno said that she had a tummy tuck right after losing the weight.

My tummy pooch decreased because I am tracking calories, using portion control and trying to stay away from white flour plus Cathe's core work helps.

I believe the menopausal women without a tummy had surgical help. Tosca Reno said that she had a tummy tuck right after losing the weight.

I have some loose skin from having three children, but it is only noticeable when I am in downdog, otherwise I don't have a pooch either.

Like JT posted up-thread - it takes vigilance with diet and exercising the core 3-5x a week.

:D

LOL! :D

Many of the items that made my list also made me feel like crap. Eliminating them made such an immediate and noticeable improvement I never miss them or yearn for them.

Fruit - well - that was the last BIG break-through. It made the list for 3 reasons. I noticed a huge difference in my blood-sugar and, therefore, sustained energy levels when I ate fruit. I experienced big spikes up and down. I also noticed, and I mean really noticed, that eating fruit triggered sugar binges, which often turned into even larger binges. i.e. "well, so long as I'm eating this xyz food that makes me feel terrible, I may as well eat ABC." We all know about those useless binges, right? Finally, I had been puzzling over some IBS issues. Eliminating all fructans brought me immediate relief - immediate. I went from huge bloated belly and horrible cramps, to not having a single episode in the 60 days I have been off fruit.

Peanuts - for me - mold. Terribly allergic.

Coffee/black tea - migraines, which I have only had two of, and both in conjunction with hormonal changes, but thus far I have not had a re-occurrence since abstaining. Recently, I had a little sip of Turkish coffee - and bam - a headache was right at the outskirts ready to accelerate home. :D

Janis, although it's unlikely that this applies to you, I just want to put it out there: I used to have a similar IBS reaction to fruit, and then I started either buying organic or washing thoroughly with fruit wash, and the problem went away. For me, I think it was more what was on the fruit than the fruit itself. Also, when the fruit upset my digestive system, I tended to eat more bread and such to try to calm it down, so a binge would ensue. Just a thought for you. (Berries were the worst for me, but now I eat a lot of them for the antioxidants. I buy freeze-dried black raspberries regularly, which grow only in Oregon: BerriHealth.com - All your premium berry needs. My doctor recommended them to me.)

Last edited:
I work 40 some hours in ICU, and in my mid 40s was also teaching exercise 10 hours a week (turbokick,bodypump and all the practice that goes with them) and was holding at 136 or so on 5'5...not overweight,but solid......
I dismayed of losing this middle age weight which came on me at around 43....
Then,when I was 47, my husband was taken down in 6 months to a hi-grade cancer...the first 8 weeks after diagnosis, I literaly could NOT eat..I felt sooo full (knowing what we were going to go through)....and I subsisted on coffee in the morning, a bite or two of fruit during the day (literally, a piece off a edible arrangement would do it), and soup or a yogurt at night.....and in 8 weeks dropped 13 lbs......and I DID hit the gym 2-3 times a week for no more than 45 minutes.....had to quit teaching...

Now I'm 51, I teach yoga once a week and do a Cathe/Jillian dvd on my days off, or a Lauren Brooks/BethChamberlin......I don't run anymore - was killing me orthopedically....and I've stayed at 123-128 by eating ALOT LESS...... I eat crap, I gain weight.....

And PS - who would've thought at 49, this old gal would catch a man - I was blessed to get remarried at 50 years old to a man my age who never had kids and took on me and my two teens......

Moral - give life a chance, give yourself a chance......and you girls will understand this - sicko as it is....as my sweet late husband was enduring his illness, the thought passed through my brain,briefly and made me laugh at how sick we are with body image, that the ONLY thing worse than what we were living through...would be to get FAT during it!!!!

Last edited:
Your brain needs carbs to function

Your brain needs carbs to function, but, if you want to lose weight, you can get your carbs from fruits and vegetables, and elminate starchy food.

Dear icumom,
Similar to you I have learned that diet is the major part of the equation. I would work out about 10 -12 hours a week (75% cardio 25% strength training ) and didn't pay too much attention to my diet. I didn't overheat that much but didn't pay too much attention to food as fuel for my body and didn't get enough protein etc and probably overate occasionally. I think many of us overestimate the calorie burn during and after our workouts. I was holding at 135 for my 5'6 frame.
About 4 months ago I started eating smarter ( not totally clean) and dropped my workouts to only 3 -4 hours a week and am doing a higher amount of strength training with respect to cardio ( 65% strength and 35% cardio). I have lost weight and have much more defined muscle now. Everyone is noticing. I will never go back to the old method of trying to stay in shape by mostly working out.
When I do workout it's mostly Cathe workouts and I switch up my strength training all the time. For me diet was a big key and coupled with a reduced effort but smart exercise program I am seeing extraordinary results.
Cathy

I am beginning to think that more attention to diet and not such a rigerous workout schedule is more helpful for me as well.

I turned 40 this year and I'm finding that it's really all about the diet for me. I can workout until I'm blue in the face, but if my diet is not clean I'm going to gain weight!!

I'm also finding that the high impact workouts are just not agreeing with me on a regular basis. My legs get totally fried from all the jumping. I can handle the low impact stuff(Low Max or AfterBurn type stuff), but the jumping does me in totally. I've been looking at workouts that are intense without the impact. Those seem to work well for me and I feel better afterwards not worse, which is the goal right :)

Your brain needs carbs to function, but, if you want to lose weight, you can get your carbs from fruits and vegetables, and elminate starchy food.

This is true for me. I told myself I would add oatmeal if I needed it...I don't need it. The fruit and veggies are good for me. I have cut back on the cardio intensity and shifted my focus to weight training. I still do cardio, but intervals once a week and Steady State cardio more.
I just got my blood work back from the doctor for my 50th birthday checkup.. I have perfect blood values! :cool:

now i am afraid what will happen once i am past 41. i am preferring to watch the birds than work out.i bought a different workout instructor to see if that helps me get motivated. my eating has been terrible but luckily i have not gained alot of weight-at least not yet.good luck to everyone!

laura

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.