any avid cyclists doing STS?

lainabaina

Cathlete
I am planning to do STS along w/ my cycling training plan, but I may back off some on the leg workouts since I do not want it to interefere w/ my cycling. I am training very specifically for a 12 hr mtn bike race.

Just curious if anyone else has a similar situation.

I'm a triathlete and I decided to make STS part of my training for the upcoming season. I've been wondering how it'll affect my cycling too. I do a group ride on Thursdays, so I may be switching Legs to Mondays or Tuesdays. Probably Mondays during training and then once racing season kicks in change it to Tuesdays so I can have Monday's off after my race. What do you think?

Amy

Hi there,

I'm a cyclist (and a triathlete wanna-be at the moment, who can't participate in running at the moment due to a foot injury) so I am so excited to see some others on the boards! I actually used to be a runner and have switched to being a cyclist *because* of neuromas in my feet. So YAY to other cyclers on the forums!!! I'm not training for anything nearly as strenuous as a 12 hour bike ride but I am thinking about trying for a 60 mile bike tour in the fall. I look forward to hearing about your training and wish you both lots of luck with your goals. When are the races that you are both going to be aiming for?

I will be doing cycling as my cardio (on the indoor training until it warms up here in the DC area.. and then back outside soon - I can't wait!) for STS (the 3 1/2 month program). I am planning on starting tomorrow with Disc 1 (although I've gone back and forth a few times about waiting until next week and starting it with Cathe...and I guess I have a few more hours to change my mind - LOL!). I haven't done the 1 RM for legs because I usually leave my legs out of things when it comes to heavy-duty weights because I want them to be fresh for cycling or spinning classes.

When do you both plan on starting STS?

I'm a triathlete too, during the build/endurance phase of season weights are Mon/Wed./ fri anyways, and off from cycling days so it works. but I too not sure about the other 4 wks last 4 that are heavier. I also do endurance cylcling so I'll ask the coaches.

meezAnimatedBodyshot175x233cycle3.gif

yes, I am planning to ask my coach, too. i am mainly concerned abt the plyo legs because I have no power riding the day after I do plyo workouts. I teach an interval class twice a month and we do 1 min. plyo intervals...the day after if I ride, my legs have very little pep. I am thinking I will need at least 2 days after plyo before I ride. so that will probably leave me with either Mon or Tues for plyo since the longer rides will be on the weekends. I start my 12 week training plan tomorrow and my race is on 2 May.

I have not started STS yet, but am viewing the dvds, reading the guide and have to do the 1RM tests yet anyway. I hope to start STS in the next week or two.

so glad to see other cyclists on here, too. I will post up later on how things go w/ the cycling plan and STS.

I am a cyclist wannabe. Spinning is my new found love and DH and I just took a beginner MTB class. We plan on buying bikes in the very near future. Currently I go to spin class 3 days a week. I am struggling a bit with how to fit in the leg workouts, because I too, find that I have a tough time with power the day after a heavy leg workout. I am not sure I will be able to fit in all three days of lifting, 3 or more days of cycling, proper rest, and I also like a yoga/stretch day. I may end up not doing legs every week or simply stretching out the lifting week. I might also decide to do cycling and an upper body workout on the same day. I guess I will just have to play around with it and see what works.

you will love it and that is good that you took a MTB clinic. if you are ever in Georgia we have some great trail systems here. something that will really help your mtn biking is the core workouts. especially if you do long rides. you may have strong legs for the riding, but when your core gets tired you start to get sloppy and your riding form can suffer. you will be glad that you are getting the core workouts and stretching in the STS!

OK, got the word from my coach and she says:

Totally back off on the leg work in the gym and spend all your leg strength on the bike. The only exception to this would be 1-2 leg exercises you need to keep your legs and hips in alignment and working properly. These are different for everybody and you may have none. Mine is glute bridge. If I keep just that one in the routine I have no ITB troubles but if I drop it I do.

so, for me for now, I will happily do STS minus the leg workouts. I will look forward to starting the STS legs next time around.

BTW, the wall squats don't feel good on my right knee, so I may just not do those at all. I can get in the position just fine, but an old knee injury does not like the wall squats at all!!

spinning DVDs?

Hey there,

I just started STS again (did Disk #2 this morning - YAY!) and was wondering if anyone had used any indoor cycling DVDs with the program (like Spinervals or something similar). I wanted to do cycling on my cardio days but learned from last winter that doing it my own was going to get boring - I love to ride outside - but it's too cold here - or I'm a wimp (not to mention that I tend to not push myself as hard when I'm in my basement staring at the walls) so I want to be prepared this time around. I don't own any spinning DVDs and was thinking of getting a few to use while I'm on my bike on the indoor trainer since my gym only offers 1-2 spinning classes that I can fit into my schedule (and sometimes I just can't make them due to other commitments).

Does anyone have any favorites (or podcasts, etc.)?

I'd like a good variety of them since I hope to have an better base so that I can do longer rides closer to the beginning of next cycling season since I supposed to do a century a few weeks ago and it happened to be two weeks afer the kids started school which was just enough time for them to catch germies, bring them home, and get a few of us (including me) sick. So I never did make the century.

For the next three months I'd probably want ones that were an hour or so in length and then I'd get some that were longer once I finished with STS.

Thanks in advance! I hope everyone had a nice cycling season (or is still enjoying it... for those that live in a temperate climate!)

Take care,

I hope everyone had a nice cycling season (or is still enjoying it... for those that live in a temperate climate!)

Take care,

I'm in Minnesota and night riding season started about 3 weeks ago. We'll ride through the winter, god-bless those studded tires!

I would recommend cycling DVD's by any of these guys/gals: Mindy Mylrea, Robert Sherman, Jay Blahnik. also, check out Chris Carmichael (Lance's coach) who has several DVDs. I have not done the Spinnervals but would like to try them sometime.

Spinervals are a good workout but they aren't a typical "spin" workout. I think they will appeal to the cyclist/triathletes that are used to riding on road bikes verses training on a spin bike. The trainer uses road bikes so it takes some getting used to if you are on a spin bike. The series is designed for designed for serious cyclists/triathletes to keep in shape when you can't get on the road.

I also like and recommend the Cardio Coach series, which is a downloadable audio workout. You can use Cardio Coach on any piece of cardio equipment with a manual setting.

how funny that it is almost a year to the day that I originally posted this! just watching the Super Bowl and thought I would check this forum since I don't get on here too often. I am still loving STS and am about to start Meso 2, but will once again have to watch it with the leg work. here is what I have learned with my cycling training & STS legs...I have to do STS legs on same day as a shorter training ride, and the day before a recovery ride (or a no ride day). I will probably only do Meso 2 legs and with lighter weight than I would typically use, and if I find that my cycling is suffering then I will completely back-off of the legs.

I did just order Butts & Guts and am not entirely sure what I am in for, but am hoping that I can do some segments of it to keep a little legwork in. I am thinking firewalkers and the floorwork will be a better fit for my training...this go round it is a 100 mile mtn bike race!!!

After teaching group fitness classes for 15 yrs my gym closed & I have gone from instructor to participant. I miss teaching but with my boys both playing sports it is hard to have that on the plate, too. I am so glad I have discovered Cathe's workouts. I catch them on FitTv also, and I got Shock Cardio abt a month ago. I have been very happy with her workouts. and even though Step workouts give me ADD I am still not giving up on them entirely! IMAX 2 is a great fit for me because I love the intervals and I don't have to think too hard with the step combos. well, for too long anyway.

I did just order Butts & Guts and am not entirely sure what I am in for, but am hoping that I can do some segments of it to keep a little legwork in. I am thinking firewalkers and the floorwork will be a better fit for my training...this go round it is a 100 mile mtn bike race!!!

A

Woot! Are you training for the Leadville 100?!! This is why I love mountainbikers, they don't settle into reading too much minutia about over-working a muscle group and I love my recovery rides. You'll get some doms out ofB&G depending on the ankle weights your choose.

Woot! Are you training for the Leadville 100?!! This is why I love mountainbikers, they don't settle into reading too much minutia about over-working a muscle group and I love my recovery rides. You'll get some doms out ofB&G depending on the ankle weights your choose.
No, not Leadville...too much $$ and it is hard to get in since so many people want to do it. it is more local to me, the Cohutta 100, and it is in April, at the Tanasi Trail System/Ocoee Whitewater Center. my coach has me doing core work 3x a week but I usually do more than she requires, and also strength 2x a week, so that is where I substitute in STS. I can't wait to try B&G, but I know I will have to pick& choose from it, but that is okay w/ me. the main thing is that I need to limit the amount of lunges & squats I do. I will have to play with it a bit and see if I can find the right amount.

I like your forum name. I think there is a women's mtb team in Tenn. called the Dirt Divas!

I'm a triathlete and I decided to make STS part of my training for the upcoming season. I've been wondering how it'll affect my cycling too. I do a group ride on Thursdays, so I may be switching Legs to Mondays or Tuesdays. Probably Mondays during training and then once racing season kicks in change it to Tuesdays so I can have Monday's off after my race. What do you think?

Amy

Amy - when I did STS and had a ride or race on the weekend, I moved STS legs to Mondays then I thought well duh, just leave it there! It was not a problem to do it that way, and my legs were fresh and ready for the weekend.

On another note, I wonder if there are enough triathletes here for a check-in of sorts??

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.