Another Plantar fasciitis thread

spyrosmom

Cathlete
PF sucks. Big time!!! I have bone spurs in my right heel that don't help the issue, either. It was feeling much, much better (just a twinge here and there) for months, until about 2 wks ago and it came back with a vengence. :mad::mad::confused: I would really like to amputate at the ankle about now! I suppose I could schedule another trip to the Dr, but since I know what the issue is, I'm not sure that will do any good. I've been icing, stretching, wearing the right shoes, and it hurts almost all the time. The only time it doesn't hurt, is when I am into a good workout. Once I get going it is fine, but it is the before, after, and inbetween that hurts. I can't figure out what caused the flareup, nothing has changed as far as intensity, impact, frequency. But it hurts almost all the freakin' time now. Have any of you ladies tried taping or wrapping for PF? I've seen the diagrams for taping, I think I would have to have DH do it for me, bc I don't think I can reach to get it right by myself (and I hate people touching my feet!) I know this is kind of a wait-it-out issue, but it is driving me batty!!! Someone has to have a secret somewhere. I've considered buying one of the funny toe pulling back sock things (I can't think of the name). Do they really work? The only other thing I can think that maybe aggravating it is that my achilles are always tight in the morning. I try to stretch them several times a day, but I have a feeling the tight heel tendon isn't helping the issue. Suggestion? Sympathy?

Nan

(((HUGS)))

I have PF. Mine only hurts when I sit for a long time and then stand up. Or after getting out of bed. I did slow down on my cardio... I quit doing Cathe cardio for about 1 yr. I stretch a lot esp the calves. It's manageable now.

Yours sound different than mine. I heard (VF, I think) that those socks you wear at night helped PF. I don't really know if it will help you though cuz your symptoms are so different. Most PF suferers have pain getting up in the morning; hence, the night socks do the trick. You might want to get a second opinion on your condition...

(((HUGS))) I know it's frustrating... been there too.

I have much sympathy for you! I just saw my podiatrist last Thursday for the same problem (I have bunions on top of everything else that I'm sure are responsible for the pf) because I can't stand the pain anymore.
He gave me cortizone shots in the office and as of today, I still haven't had the pain first thing in the morning, or all day for that matter. Now, I had no previous experience/knowledge of cortizone shots, and after I got home from the visit and googled it, I saw that there's alot of mixed reactions about it. I guess it doesn't work for alot of people, but it did work (so far) for me. So that's just my little piece of info for you from a fellow plantar fasciitis sufferer! :)

I hope you get relief soon - it's awful to dread getting out of bed in the morning because you know you won't be able to walk.:(
Erin

This must be so painful, so sorry you have to go through it. I just wanted to jump in and say that one of my co-workers wears the new Sketchers Shape-ups and says it specifically helps her PF. I know everyone is different so I don't know if it would work for you but she says they are great.

I am know how frustrating it can be to deal with. I dealt with it being so bad for such a long time. I stretched. Stood on the foam roller. Switched shoes. Wore the Strausburg sock to bed at night. It would hurt so bad sometimes when I was driving I wanted to cry and kick off my shoes:confused: I did talk to the doctor and had her x ray my foot. I have a bone spur in my heel as well but she said that should not be causing a problem. Anyway that being said, I finally got it under control for the most part. It has taken a couple of years. Last year I couldn't workout for a while due to some surgury, then I had pneumonia. Between that and realizing how much better it was and taking it easy on the impact kept it from coming back. I bought a plyo mat and used that for any impact moves. I had to cut down on my treadmill runs. Hills aggravate as well. Since we moved into our new home I bought 7/8 inch thick martial arts puzzle mats for my floor and it has been great. If I notice twinges I go back to more low impact stuff. Kettlebell workouts helped too because there was not a lot of jumping. I have switched to more workouts that are lower impact but add med balls, weighted bars and light weights that get the HR up. Also I discovered that if my shoes have a higher arch it seems to take the pressure off of the rest of my foot when I am running. Anyway that is what has worked for me. I feel your pain. Hang in there.

It does suck! I'm having my 1st experience with it and it is awful. :( My PT said I could run through the pain that I won't make it worse, but it won't get better either. I did buy some Dr. Scholls PF pads and these other things at the running store called metatarsal pads. They definitely help with cushion. My favorite ice/stretch is to freeze a water bottle and roll it with my foot for 20 minutes at a time. None of it is making it go away, but I get some temporary relief. Just hoping it will go away as quickly as it arrived.
Becky

I am know how frustrating it can be to deal with. I dealt with it being so bad for such a long time. I stretched. Stood on the foam roller. Switched shoes. Wore the Strausburg sock to bed at night. It would hurt so bad sometimes when I was driving I wanted to cry and kick off my shoes:confused: I did talk to the doctor and had her x ray my foot. I have a bone spur in my heel as well but she said that should not be causing a problem. Anyway that being said, I finally got it under control for the most part. It has taken a couple of years. Last year I couldn't workout for a while due to some surgury, then I had pneumonia. Between that and realizing how much better it was and taking it easy on the impact kept it from coming back. I bought a plyo mat and used that for any impact moves. I had to cut down on my treadmill runs. Hills aggravate as well. Since we moved into our new home I bought 7/8 inch thick martial arts puzzle mats for my floor and it has been great. If I notice twinges I go back to more low impact stuff. Kettlebell workouts helped too because there was not a lot of jumping. I have switched to more workouts that are lower impact but add med balls, weighted bars and light weights that get the HR up. Also I discovered that if my shoes have a higher arch it seems to take the pressure off of the rest of my foot when I am running. Anyway that is what has worked for me. I feel your pain. Hang in there.

Yes, driving is awful!!! Driving barefoot or sock footed helps, but the heel press on my foot driving with shoes is terrible. I can't drive left footed, either!!! grump, grump, grump!

Nan

I WILL NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST! I WILL NOT RESPOND TO THIS POST......

Last time I responded to a "PF Post" which was about a month to month and a half ago, I shared my story about my 2 bouts with PF and how I learned so much the 2nd time around about what to do, etc., etc., etc.

Well, I jinxed myself!!!! About a week later I recognized that familiar pain in my heel and have gone back to doing everything I did the second time but it is taking much longer to go away! I even stopped all cardio 2 to 2 1/2 weeks ago and am back to orthotics in EVERY shoe, stretching, icing, everything I know to do but it is very persistent this time. Weirdly, it was much more painful last time but all of my treatments made it go away fairly quickly. This time, it is not that bad but it's just not healing.

As for working out, I decided to do all weights and am in the midst of doing my 1 Rep Max's to start STS next week. I will not do impact cardio until it is completely healed.

Yes....I feel your pain!

So this is me NOT responding to this post because I just cannot afford to jinx myself anymore!!!

I've had a few bouts with PF and the thing that helps most is sleeping with some device on your foot and inserts in all of your shoes. Really once I did these two things I was able to exercise however I wanted and the situation resolved in a couple of weeks. It was sort of stunning how quickly these two things made the situation better. I hated sleeping in the device, but to be pain free anything was worth it.

Good luck.

Shayne

What does the trick for me is to do toe streches. While watching TV I put a blanket on my lap and tuck the end of it under my feet and stretch my toes back.

This will sound funny, but go see a chiropractor!

I regularly see one for other issues, and I was complaining about having PF amongst other things in the past. He explained to me how tight quads/hip flexors trickle down and affect that area. Basically, it's not just stretching in your feet that you need to do. He adjusted my ankles, and talked to me about how I walk - pronation is also a HUGE factor.

The other thing I did was went barefoot. I know that screams BAD to common knowledge. But in researching this condition years ago, I learned that we create muscle weakness in certain areas due to the orthodics that we wear. Basically, the stronger your feet and ankles are on their own, the less of an issue this will be for you.
So I started working out barefoot as much as possible. And when I needed to wear something for traction, I wore track shoes.
It's completely gotten rid of the issue for me. My feet were so sore for the first two weeks. DOMS! Using muscles I hadn't in forever! But now, no problems whatsoever.

Just my experience and what worked for me. When conventional doesn't work, you have to look outside the box! :)

This will sound funny, but go see a chiropractor!

The other thing I did was went barefoot. I know that screams BAD to common knowledge. But in researching this condition years ago, I learned that we create muscle weakness in certain areas due to the orthodics that we wear. Basically, the stronger your feet and ankles are on their own, the less of an issue this will be for you.
So I started working out barefoot as much as possible. And when I needed to wear something for traction, I wore track shoes.
It's completely gotten rid of the issue for me. My feet were so sore for the first two weeks. DOMS! Using muscles I hadn't in forever! But now, no problems whatsoever.

I've never had PM, but I know folks who have and agree with melicn - they say going barefoot is best for PM. My Kettlebell instructor says barefoot is best for your feet in general and she has a pair of Vibram Five Fingers. I just bought a pair and in my research folks have said that has really helped their PM but they are not very attractive shoes at all - they make crocs look like fancy dress shoes :)

yeah, me too

I've been dealing with PF for awhile now (don't want to acknowldege how loooong!). What has helped tremendously is that weird plastic thingy you wear to bed. That in combinatoin with stretching, icing and NSAIDs. That thing you wear to bed comes in many styles and various price ranges. My doc gave me a Rx for one - it was ridicuously expensive even with the insurance help. So I bought a much cheaper one at CVS. The only thing I regret is not buying one sooner! Good luck! Deb

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.