Almond Milk - Yum!

I make my own almond milk, soy milk, or different beans mix milk. I love them. I got this soy milk machine a few weeks ago. I use constantly. I made fresh soy milk. I love to drink the fresh made warm soy milk. I made almond milk. I used my home made almond milk together with steel cut oat meal to make for breakfast. My daughter love it.

Just soak almond, beans overnight, the next morning put it in machine, less than 20 minutes, you get the fresh milk.

I even brought my home made soy milk to work.

It is soy free, and I like the taste much better than soy milk. I tried Silk unsweetened vanilla, which is plenty sweet. It has filtered water and almonds with some evaporated cane juice--but fewer sugars than skim milk.

Thanks Elsie, I would like to have something I can use in a smoothie or cereal. I'm using skim milk currently, but really have to watch it with the lactose. :confused: autumn

I make my own raw almond milk (or almond/brazil nut milk) and I really like it as well. It just has almonds (raw, soaked and rinsed), water, a pinch of salt (very little, but crucial to the taste!) and sometimes a date for sweetness and/or some vanilla.

I think I'll go home and soak some almonds for tomorrow!

How do you make your almond milk? Do you need special equipment? I'd love the recipe.

Thanks,

How do you make your almond milk? Do you need special equipment? I'd love the recipe.

Thanks,
I have one recipe in my blog, but here's the basics:
Soak raw almonds 8-12 hours (10-12 hours is good if you want to peel them: just pinch them between your fingers while they're still wet, and the skins come off).

Rinse and drain well.

In a blender (I use a Vitamix, so it gets things very smooth, but a regular blender might work, especially if you soak the almonds long enough, and if you add 1/2 the water at a time, then blend, then add more) put 1 cup soaked almonds to 3 cups water (you can also add Brazil nuts--no soaking required). Add 1-2 large medjool date(s), a pinch of salt, and some vanilla extract (this is all mostly to taste). Blend until smooth. Adjust flavors. (you can also use other sweeteners instead of the dates. And almond milk--especially with peeled almonds--is pretty sweet on its own. so you might want to taste it first without the sweetener to see how you like it. Vanilla extract also adds sweetness as well as flavor).

Strain through cheesecloth or (prefered) a nut-milk bag (save the pulp to make cookies).

I've made almond, almond-sesame-Brazil, almond-Brazil, macadamia (VERY rich!) and almond-hazel nut milks so far. You can also use cashews or other seeds besides sesame (I regularly make hemp milk). For seeds, soak 1-2 hours (cashews nuts, macadamia nuts, pine nuts and hemp seeds need no soaking, unless you want to soften them. The soaking is to remove enzyme inhibitors and to get the nuts/seeds to begin to germinate). Don't soak sunnies or sesame seeds too long, or they get bitter.

This is a live, raw food, so will not last the way processed, "dead" foods will. 3 days in the fridge is about it. It will also separate, so you'll need to shake it if it's been sitting for any length of time).

A quick and not-quite-as-nutritious (from the standpoint of enyzme inhibitors) way to make nut milks, which works even with not-very-powerful blenders: instead of nuts, use some nut butter.

HTH!

(I'm going home right now to have some of the almond-Brazil nut milk I made this morning, along with some of the cookies I made from the pulp!)

Thanks, Kathryn.

Where did you get nut milk cloth?

Soak raw almonds 8-12 hours (10-12 hours is good if you want to peel them: just pinch them between your fingers while they're still wet, and the skins come off).

Rinse and drain well.

In a blender (I use a Vitamix, so it gets things very smooth, but a regular blender might work, especially if you soak the almonds long enough, and if you add 1/2 the water at a time, then blend, then add more) put 1 cup soaked almonds to 3 cups water (you can also add Brazil nuts--no soaking required). Add 1-2 large medjool date(s), a pinch of salt, and some vanilla extract (this is all mostly to taste). Blend until smooth. Adjust flavors. (you can also use other sweeteners instead of the dates. And almond milk--especially with peeled almonds--is pretty sweet on its own. so you might want to taste it first without the sweetener to see how you like it. Vanilla extract also adds sweetness as well as flavor).

Strain through cheesecloth or (prefered) a nut-milk bag (save the pulp to make cookies).

I've made almond, almond-sesame-Brazil, almond-Brazil, macadamia (VERY rich!) and almond-hazel nut milks so far. You can also use cashews or other seeds besides sesame (I regularly make hemp milk). For seeds, soak 1-2 hours (cashews nuts, macadamia nuts, pine nuts and hemp seeds need no soaking, unless you want to soften them. The soaking is to remove enzyme inhibitors and to get the nuts/seeds to begin to germinate). Don't soak sunnies or sesame seeds too long, or they get bitter.

This is a live, raw food, so will not last the way processed, "dead" foods will. 3 days in the fridge is about it. It will also separate, so you'll need to shake it if it's been sitting for any length of time).

A quick and not-quite-as-nutritious (from the standpoint of enyzme inhibitors) way to make nut milks, which works even with not-very-powerful blenders: instead of nuts, use some nut butter.

HTH!

(I'm going home right now to have some of the almond-Brazil nut milk I made this morning, along with some of the cookies I made from the pulp!)

Thanks, Kathryn.

Where did you get nut milk cloth?
You can get a "nut milk bag" from many online places that specialize in raw foods: www.naturalzing.com , for example.

Amazon.com also sells them http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...aps&hvadid=17801483511&ref=pd_sl_8jebfb1dxf_e

This is the one I prefer (the shape makes it easier to use):
http://www.purejoyplanet.com/store/...d=123&osCsid=018215ceb05836cea6ec573eab615895

(one tip: turn the bag inside-out to use, with the seams on the outside. It makes it easier to clean, as nut pulp doesn't stick in the seam areas).

Hi Kathryn!! Would you mind sharing your recipes for cookies made with the almond pulp? I just made my first batch of almond milk and now want to put the pulp to use.

Thanks!
Kelly

Rinse and drain well.

HTH!

I actually don't have a recipe, per se. I just throw some ingredients together (you might be able to find an actual recipe online).

I mix together the almond pulp, some shredded coconut, agave/maple syrup or whatever sweetener I decide on, a pinch of salt, some vanilla extract, to make a consistency that hold together as balls, then flatten them and dehydrate for a few hours.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.