All aboard the X-train!

I did Hard Strikes today and enjoyed it. To the point and I was done.

I did the same tabata as you. I just dislike tabatas so I probably didn't even give it a fair shake!

Supercuts tomorrow...

I'm here!

So, Saturday, I attempted Supercuts. I got about 15 minutes into it and realized that I just wasn't into working out. It might be a very good workout. I just didn't have the wherewithal for it. I think because I started later (9am) and by that time didn't have the energy since I hadn't eaten breakfast, etc. Anyway, I felt better NOT doing it then forcing it. Plus, I was fairly debilitated this weekend -- Friday through this morning -- with a migraine that just kept me not feeling well. I decided to give my body a rest on any kind of added hormones, and the withdrawal from the extra estrogen and progesterone really threw me for a loop. I kept wondering if I was doing the right thing. I stopped taking the pills to see if I could lose the added weight that taking them was causing, but then I started reading about all of the other side effects and thought that I was probably doing the right thing. We'll just have to see how my body reacts down the road.

Today was Legs. I was crunched for time so I only did standing and floor, but I still think I had a very good workout.

It's hard to believe we are on Week 6! I've looked at the schedule, and it looks doable, but I might plan an extra day off here and there. I just think that 6 days a week is overdoing it sometimes because these workouts are really long! By working out so much, we have a chance of putting added stress on our bodies, which in turn will make us hold on to weight. At least for me, it does. I'm pretty chill about it and I was totally fine about making my workout shorter today. I still really felt like 47 minutes was good.

I think Tues-Thurs is a little weird for the schedule, though. Since tomorrow is Chest and Back, but Wednesday's Tabata includes Burn Back. So, Back two days in a row? I might alter that and just do 3 tabatas instead, since we then have more weights on Thursday.

Very sorry to be MIA. I've continued with my workouts I just haven't had time to post. I found Supercuts to be a nice workout but I seem to recall liking the ICE Metabolic workout more so. Maybe that is my imagination so I will be curious to know what I opinion is when I revisit ICE.

I am in complete agreement with you about the need for an extra day of rest here and there. Years ago I did Jazzercise 5-6 days a week and I just exhausted myself. I'm sure my hormone and stress levels were through the roof. I really held on to weight in my thighs and bottom during that time. When I stopped I simply turned to walking and barre based DVDs at home. I slimmed down right away. Cathe's workouts are a lot of fun and there is more variety than Jazzercise for sure. Additionally, I appreciate the variety of weight workouts. I'm definitely going to see XTrain through to the end but I might have to add in a rest day in the middle of the week.

I really do love barre and would love to find a barre rotation that includes Cathe.

Hi, Ranch Mom. I saw a thread about someone asking about a Cathe Barre workout that was on a DVD as a bonus workout. So, she must have something out there other than what is on X-train.

I still don't know what to do tomorrow about Tabatacize and whether to do Burn Back. My chest is pretty sore already from today's workout because I really pushed myself to go heavier on some of the moves where I normally would not. I guess I will have to see how sore my back is tomorrow. I tried using 10s for that lower angle chest press move. Wow, that was hard. I only got 11 reps. But, I was pleased on that, as well as some other moves where I went up because I felt that I gave myself a good challenge.

So, if the back is sore tomorrow, I might do premix 2 or 3 which includes the Tabatas and core work only, no back.

Mrschi, I know exactly what lower angle chest move you are talking about. It is challenging for me to. I have only used 8lbs for that one. Great job on getting 11 reps with 10s!!!

I have kept my weights the same so far this week. I'm sore to just the right extent if that makes sense. I still haven't lost any further inches. I am afraid that I am holding on to some water weight. My thighs and arms feel very, very full if that makes any sense. My husband has complimented me on my arms and upper back so that made me feel great!

Have a wonderful day!

Great job and getting compliments, too! :)

So, I decided to go with Tabata premix "12" because I wanted to be a good girl and follow the book, but when I got to the back section and did the first set of back rows, I just knew I should have gone with my gut and NOT done back! My back muscles were tired/sore, and I was thinking about having to do biceps/triceps tomorrow and how I was using them as an assist muscle with the back work. So, I just stopped and went straight to core. Have I said how much I hate core work? :)

Anyway, later this morning I went into my calendar to check off that I did the workout, and I see that on the online calendar they say "your choice premix 1-5"!! So, sometime along the way, they must have realized their mistake and fixed it. So, basically, since I skipped back, I ended up doing mix 2.

I am feeling lighter and thinner, though the scale isn't really showing it that much. My goal is still to lose about 8 more pounds and quite a few % of body fat. But, I just feel more "with it," even though I'm still not getting enough sleep. I think my body is finally adjusting to being off the BC pills and all of those extra hormones. I will be curious to see what other side effects I'll see - like feeling lighter, maybe I'll be able to focus better, maybe lose a few more pounds, maybe sleep better, etc.

Arms tomorrow; will do my best!

I'm glad Bis and Tris was a little shorter today. My body is tired! But, I tried hard, and I stuck to the weights I used last time, which were heavier on just a few of the moves. My back is sore, and I'm not sure if it's from the workouts or the normal aging/sleeping weird aches. I've really been trying to take longer stretching after my workouts and doing some other stretch/limber moves. I know I have to take care of my body as I approach 50!

Short workout tomorrow, Yea! I might even skip, except I like Hard Strikes!

I didn't even think to compare the user guide book that came with XTrain to their online version! I will make a note of this change in my book. Thank you for finding this!

I am not sure if I am going to do HardStrikes tomorrow or go for a walk with my husband. He started working out with me a few months ago and then got hurt at work. Its been several weeks since he has been able to join me and he asked about a walk this morning. I'll see what happens. :)

I got my workout in today but I am tired. I think I am going to do some yoga tomorrow. It has really warmed up here at home. I don't want to turn on the AC this early but we might have to tonight so I can sleep!

Hi, Ranch Mom! So, before I forget, I looked ahead to next week, and for the Tabata day, online it says choices 1-5. So make a note of it.

I hear you about being tired. I really wanted to stop during the workout even though it is short. There is one part I always am ready give up, right after a combo, and then the next song comes on that I like so it makes me stick it out. I think it is so funny that they have those "faux" songs in there, but that works for me!

Will try to psych myself up for SuperCuts tomorrow!

Thank you for the schedule tip. I should just get online and print off the current schedule and store it with my user guide.

Supercuts done for the day but I did not complete the core workout. I feel very accomplished this week but I am looking forward to a rest day. I can't believe that we are half way through this rotation...yeah for us!

Bis and Tris for today followed by a quick 2 mile walk. We had a very rainy weekend and I was simply wanting to get in some outside time. There is still quite a bit of moisture in the air but it felt great to be outside.

I took a short nap on both Sat and Sun this weekend. This is HIGHLY unusual for me because I just don't take naps. It shouldn't come as a surprise because I knew I was tire all of last week. I'm not sure if I have something hormonal going on or if I need to cut back on my workouts or if it is something else all together. A normal night sleep for me is 7 hours and it has been 7 hours for as long as I can remember. I might try to go to bed 30-min to an hour early this week and see what happens.

Have a wonderful week!!!

Hi, RanchMom! Boy, reading your posts that so could be me! I didn't take any naps this weekend (though I considered it), because, like you, that is highly unusual for me. However, there are those times that I HAVE to take one. I'd say once every 8 weeks?? I should probably take a nap every weekend. It would be good for me because, like you, I probably only get 7 hours of sleep per night and I really need 8. By Thursday, I know I'm tired because it gets harder to focus on work.

I did SuperCuts on Saturday. I actually did the entire thing, though I wanted to stop, and once I got through it, I realized it wasn't that bad. After reading your post from today I realized I screwed up because I did Legs today, having started again on the Week 6 week. Luckily, it didn't screw me up too bad since Legs are supposed to be tomorrow anyway. I'll just do Bis and Tris and Core #2 tomorrow and will throw in a few rear delt sets. Then resume the schedule as per normal.

Didn't eat well this weekend. We went to the movies, and I had popcorn and candy. Movie was great, though. It's been since February when we last went the movies, so 3 months since movie popcorn. Not too bad.

I agree about Supercuts. At first I was timid to try it but then I found out that it really wasn't that bad. I like to follow along with the guide so I can see how quickly we are moving through the entire workout.

I completed all legs and rear delts this morning. I really, really like the XT trains...I just wish it weren't as long as it is.

In a wishful world I will get my hip thrusts in later this evening. However my son has a band concert tonight so I doubt it will happen.

Going back to this weekend...I napped twice. However I nap maybe once or twice a year. So this was profound for me. I'm thinking about picking one of the cardio workouts later this week and subbing in a walk. I love these workouts. I'm just thinking that my body is asking for a break from the intensity. Knowing this I am questioning my "plan" to start on RWH once we finish XT. I suppose I could always do RWH mixed with something else.

Hello! Well, we had a band concert LAST night. 2 of my 3 kids were in it. They are in the high school jazz band and concert band. Plus, there was the 7th & 8th grade bands. By the time we got home, settled, etc, I was in bed at 11:30 pm. Not good when I had to be up again at 5 am. I snoozed until about 5:18, then got up and chose a shorter premix of Bis and Tris - so it did about 2/3 of the moves. Then, I threw in some delt work to make up for not doing that yesterday during legs (due to the fact that I did the workout from the wrong week), and then I did core. I did most of core, which is good for me.

Tomorrow is Hard Strikes. I was going to try and get in a lot of steps today, but I might instead focus on getting to bed at a reasonable hour and figuring out my food for the week. My husband is gone for a few days, so I have a chance to try and get a restful sleep and eat well - maybe lose few pounds before he returns if I hunker down!

Hi! I needed a rest day, so I opted to sleep in to 5:45 instead of getting up for Hard Strikes. I was up a bit late last night (10 pm), as I was having some major computer issues that I had to resolve (3 hours on the phone with Microsoft) before turning back to a work project for one of my clients. I don't feel at all guilty about skipping the workout. It was definitely the right thing. I'll try and get some steps in today.

Ugh! Don't you just love computer problems? So sorry to hear that!

I did the weight work today but will probably modify the workout for tomorrow. I'm not sure if I will do Cathe or something "lighter."

Hi, Ranch Mom. When I saw your post I thought I got the schedule messed up, but no I see that today was definitely supposed to be Hard Strikes? Are you just mixing it up this week?

Tomorrow, I will do Chest/Back/Shoulders but I will probably leave out Core #1 because I have to get my youngest son to a 7 am orthodontist appointment, so I don't think I'll have enough time to fit that in.

Well I apparently got messed up...again. Honestly I don't recall looking at the schedule yesterday but I did today and realized my mistake. I did hard strikes today since I woke up on my own. I will probably take a walk and do a 30 min pilates video tomorrow and then pick back up with Supercuts on Sat.

Today is field day for my youngest child. My husband is volunteering and I will be meeting them for lunch today. Tonight is another orchestra concert. Our last day of school is May 20 so we have been busy with year end events. I am looking forward to the last week of May and first week of June as we don't have much of anything planned. It will be nice just to go at our own pace in the evenings. Then things will fire back up for the rest of the summer.

When and where is your upcoming vacation? We are going to try to go to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks the last two weeks of June. We went last year and had a wonderful time. The kids asked to go back because there were so many things we just didn't get to see. We have a RV camper so the prep can get overwhelming. I am now very thankful for the RV because my youngest daughter went GF at the first of the year. We are all learning as we go. I can't imagine taking a trip without access to my own food at this point. We will get there just not this first year. How long have you been GF?

Hi, Ranch Mom! Yellowstone sounds wonderful! I dream of taking trips like that with my family, but none of them are really into long car rides. And, campers or RVs? Forget it! They prefer hotel rooms. I personally think it would be fun, though. I'm thinking that I HAVE to do a trip like this soon, though. My oldest is a junior, so I won't have him here too much longer. Unfortunately, our summer is already planned out, and I can't get away from my job much more than what we already have. Where are you located?

We are in Phoenix. Every summer, we drive to Sedona for about a week. It is only 1 hour 40 minutes from here. So, it fits the bill of a shorter car ride, but it is like you are getting away to a whole new world. We love it up there. You would think the kids would get tired of it, but no. We have a timeshare, and it is very nice just to get away for that time. The kitchen is great, too, because we rarely eat out. Mainly due to the cost, but being GF is part of it. There is a great GF restaurant in Sedona, so we plan a trip there once every vacation. We actually have that same chain of restaurant near our house (they have about 5 locations in Arizona), and my husband is there at least once a week for work lunches. So, it's not as much of a treat for him as for the rest of us.

There is something about Sedona - when you drive into the town and get a look at the red rocks, there is this feeling of peace that just comes over you. I know it's a very spiritual place - vortexes and all. So, that might have something to do with it. The place we stay at has mini golf, a gym, pools, and it is by a creek, so really peaceful. We usually just do a day thing when we go there, whether jeep tour, a hike, or one year we went on a jeep tour up to the Grand Canyon. Most of the time is spent just sitting and reading or going to the pool/gym for me and my husband. The kids like to go to the pool or just lie in bed and watch TV and play on their handheld video games. That is their idea of a perfect vacation.

We are also heading to San Diego the first week in July. Every year, my husband has a work conference there and the families are invited. We stay at the Manchester Grand Hyatt near the waterfront. I'm making my kids go this year; I usually just go alone with my husband and it's nice to get away. But, this is probably one of the last years they will have it in July for a while, so I am forcing the kids to go and have fun!

I always forget how long we have been gluten free. It was December of 2012, I think. Pretty smooth sailing, honestly. It's been easy for us, and I haven't really missed anything. Though now and then it would be nice to have a nice chewy bagel. The gluten-free ones are just too bready.

Chest/Back/Shoulders today. I made myself go up in weight on two of the chest presses and one back move. I'm getting stronger each time, so I like to see that progress. I still only got 12 reps with 10 pounds for that low chest fly move. And, those pushups at the end? Well, I can't see me doing them on my toes at that speed for a while. As predicted, I didn't have time for core. Maybe I'll throw something in later today or tomorrow.

May 20th is early; our school gets out on May 26th. My oldest is in 3 AP classes, and he is done with all of the AP exams, so he only has a final in Honors Pre-calculus. He says he won't have one for French, and I'm not sure about Band, but that will be easy. So, he is psyched about his last 2 weeks of school. However, he signed up to take the SAT on June 4th since he only got a 1220 on his last one. So, he will have to try and stay focused until then. We still have several school activities between now and then, and he has a study schedule all mapped out, so I hope he can make it work for him!

Tabata tomorrow!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.