All aboard the X-train!

Hey there. I hope your rest day will help!

Bis and Tris, and since I had some time and I still felt guilty about missing legs, I thought about what needed the most help (what I wasn't getting from walking) and decided to do the ball/chair portion from the legs workout. So, I felt much better getting that in.

I did end up walking around 12.5 miles yesterday. Today is the last day of my FitBit challenge, so I will be trying to get in a lot more steps today. Might not quite hit 30,000 steps, but I would like to be close to that.

I look forward to actually doing the Saturday workout as planned tomorrow, with no DVD glitches, a clear living room, etc.!!!

Hello! Low Impact HIIT completed. This is the kind of workout I both love and hate. Love that it is truly low impact, hate doing it because it's hard!! At the end of week, I'm pretty wiped, and I missed one of my 5 meals yesterday, started later today, and so that probably added to the hardness. My heart rate really got up there. I took a longer pause break between the floor section and step section.

I don't feel AS guilty about missing legs on Thursday since that is Monday's workout. After I finish up some work today on the computer, I plan on resting and reading. I already took a walk today, too, but I don't think I'll hit 30,000 as I have the past 4 days. My goal is 15K, but I'll be content with 10K, I think.

Happy weekend!!

(P.S. - the scale was down 3 pounds since Monday. I think it was a fluke, so I'll have my official weigh in on Monday.)

Hello and Happy Monday!

It was VERY hard to get up to do today's workout. I got to bed about an hour later than I wanted to. And, of course, our 4-year old little doggie decided to come down with a case of the runs. That meant getting up at midnight to let her out, woken again around 3 am (made my husband get up that time), and then when the alarm went off at 5 am, I tried to go back to bed and skip the workout, but she started whining again. So, up it was!

So, it's very good thing that today's workout was not really cardio-based, or I would have tanked big time. I hope to get a better night's sleep tonight, but we will see how that goes. Weights again tomorrow with Bis and Tris.

The scale was still down today, so down 3 pounds since last Monday. This week's goal will be to lose another pound. Inches are starting to melt away, too. I think I lost another .25 inch in my hips. I'm still more than I want. I'm now at my old "high" weight, so I still have 7-8 pounds to go. I will keep plugging away. I feel the need for something sweet today, though. So, I will probably make a Trim Health Mama drink for an afternoon snack.

Have a great day!!!

I am so sorry that I have been MIA. I have been working out just very limited on personal time....so I am checking in from work right now. LOL! I completed bis and tris today. It felt great and I was still wanting more...so I thought that was a good sign.

Congratulations on the weight loss! I have stayed the same for the past several weeks. I would still like to drop another 1-1.5 inches off of my hips. Saddle bags be gone!

What are you doing to track your food now?

Hi, RanchMom! BTW - I wanted to ask where "Ranch Mom" came from. Do you live on a ranch, or just in a ranch-style home? :)

Bis and Tris completed today. I tried to go heavier in one spot, and I was successful. I just don't see me lifting anywhere near 20 pounds for a bicep curl ANYTIME soon! :)

I am using the Nutrition Manager to track my food. As I noted, it got easier to use once I figured out how to use it. There's a copy/paste mode, for example, so if I have the same breakfast as another day, I only have to copy and paste and it carries it to the day I select. I have also entered in my recipes for items I make or custom foods if something is not already listed in the list of foods. (For example, our gluten-free pizza wasn't there. So, I added it, including all of the nutrition facts, and now I can click on that "custom food" and add it to a meal when I need to.)

For the tracker, you are to list your goals and then it recommends a calorie level. Based on the standard calculations, I'm supposed to eat like 900 calories a day but they don't let you go below 1200-1400. That is my range, but based on my activity, it should probably be more. However, for weight loss, most days I stick to 1200 to 1300 with the occasional 1600 or so. That keeps my body guessing.

Because you are tracking your food, it lets you know how you are doing in terms of vitamins, calories, your macros and let's you know when you need to adjust. If you are low in carbs, for example, you might have a grade of "F" with a down arrow showing you are too low. Then, you can click on that and it shows your foods for the day, their values, and can suggest foods to eat with the appropriate amount of things you need.

You can, if you want, choose from a list of custom menus - one they have created or ones that other users have created and uploaded. I don't do that. Mainly because I don't eat that many grains, I don't eat gluten, so a lot of the menus won't apply to me. It always shows I'm low in carbs, so I need to do better about getting a sweet potato in here or there, or more veggies. But, I really don't worry about that too much, because I will have a couple of days with lower carbs, and then the next day we will have gluten-free pizza for dinner, which gives me a higher carb day and then keeps my body guessing.

So, at first, I didn't like it, but mainly because I wasn't following any particular eating plan. Now, I am following one, but it is something that I sort of put together from all of the books I have been reading and following lately. It is a combination of the foods and mantras from Whole30, Trim Healthy Mama, Betheny Frankel's diet book (I follow some of her "rules), and Jamie Eason/Natalie Jill. When we were doing Whole30, which worked while we were on it but I found hard to stick to long term, we got in the mode of eating only 3 times a day. They said eating 3 larger meals that keep you filled in between were best. Going off of Jamie Eason/Natalie Jill, I switched back to eating 5-6 small meals during the day. That is also a THM thing. Like I said, I don't eat a lot of grains, but I do eat some. So, some days I am more Whole30 than others. And, I don't eat a lot of dairy (also Whole30 when you are on it, though you can bring it back in during the reintroduction phase), but I do have a small whey protein drink each morning after my workout. That is something I wasn't doing. Before, after my workout, I would shower, get dressed and usually not eat for a few hours afterwards, but a larger breakfast. Now, I have that protein drink and then 3 hours later some egg whites scrambled with spinach and a grapefruit or small amount of sweet potato (an "E" meal, per THM), but it's only 180 calories (more if I had the sweet potato), so it's not a lot. I continue to have 180-250 calories meals throughout the day, making sure to have protein at each meal, making sure I pay attention to my diet "bank account" (ala Betheny Frankel's book) to balance larger meals against lighter ones, etc.

So far, it seems to work. I will try and keep this up throughout the program. I just need to get better about putting more salads in there, and I will be good. I know that this way of eating works for me - I lost weight when I did Chalean Extreme several years ago following the food guide that came with it. But, Whole30 also worked for me. I think it's just a matter of finding what works in the long term and trying to stick with it. Being mindful of what you eat, and just keep it up. When you fail, just pick it back up 3 hours later.

I think we have cardio tomorrow, right?

Thank you for all of the details about the nutrition manager. Maybe I will think about adding it in the future if I don't see improvement.

Yes, we do own a ranch. We raise cattle and have horses. :)

I saw improvement in my cardio endurance today during HIIT. I looked ahead and will be excited to try the new workouts next week!

I found the HIIT workout MUCH easier to do in the middle of the week rather than at the end. I had a lot more energy. So, I liked that. I realized that I've done it wrong the past two times and didn't do the premix with Core #1. So, I did it correctly today. I HATE AB WORKOUTs, but I did it anyway. I give myself a C+ on the core part.

Hard Strikes tomorrow, which I love.

Hard Strikes is growing on me. In the beginning I much preferred the kick boxing workout from ICE but am settling in with this one. Right or wrong I added the tri burn set. I wasn't the least bit sore from doing tris earlier in the week so I went for it. Maybe I will think about trying to up my weights next time but then again maybe not. It was just challenging enough.

I'm already fretting because I know I will miss my workout on Sat. There is a very slim chance that I could fit it in late afternoon but I know myself well enough and doubt that will happen. LOL

Hey, Ranch Mom - just try to be active this weekend, and don't stress about cardio legs. My triceps are still a bit sore from two days ago, and my abs were sore starting yesterday. Still are!

What I like about Hard Strikes AND the kickboxing for ICE is the music. Just when I want to be done, another song will come on, and I like it and it spurs me to continue. I actually did consider doing the ICE kickboxing today, but I thought I'd stick with the shorter one. My achilles is rather inflamed from all of the walking I've been doing. It's these stupid FitBit challenges. I'm in these challenges with these people who walk like 45, 50, 60, even 70 thousand steps in a day, and I'm like WTH? Even my kids are like "what do they do everyday?" (Like do they not have a job and have a bunch of free time to walk or is their job allowing them a lot of walking?). I'm actually considering stopping using my FitBit, because part of me wants to compete. So, even though my achilles is hurting, I ended up pumping out over 24,000 steps yesterday. As a result, today I had to take the workout ultra low impact. It's almost not worth it (the extra walking, I mean). And, since I find myself getting stressed over my steps, I really need to stop accepting to be in challenges.

Grr! Anyway, muscle work tomorrow. Eating has been slightly off the past two days, so I'm trying to be on today and the next three days to hopefully show that 1-pound loss I'm hoping for.

I agree with your kids...what do those people do everyday! We just bought a Garmin Vivo for my son. Several of his friends received them this past Christmas and he asked for one for his birthday. I am amazed at how many steps a young person can get in...it really shows me how much less activity I get simply because I do sit at a desk during the day. It sounds to me like you need to rest your foot. Those challenges will always be there if/when you want to go back.

Eating is such a challenge. Just when I think I am on the right track something happens to derail my efforts.

I enjoyed the weighted workout today. I have started to think about my future impressions of the ICE workouts when I revisit them. Will I find them as challenging as I did when I first started Cathe? Or will I find them to be not as challenging because of my (hopeful) progress?

Hi, Ranch Mom! Interesting thoughts on ICE. I remember my first ICE workout. I was dying, and I thought I was in such good shape! I had to pause 3 times!! But, it didn't take long to build up my cardio endurance. So, yes it will be interesting to see what happens going back to ICE. I've already been thinking about doing the ICE/X-train hybrid or coming up with something on my own that maybe only has me working out 5 days a week. I don't know about you, but when Saturday rolls around, I am tired, so I don't think I always give my all to that Saturday workout. So, if I did do a 5-day a week thing, I would still probably do a Saturday workout but take an extra day off during the week.

Speaking of Saturday workouts, though, I did actually do a pretty good job today, though I would not have thought I would given how I was feeling during the warm up. I got in to the workout and told myself I only had to get through 30 minutes of the cardio part and then I could be done, but I found the energy - some good energy, too - and made it to the end. I even did the workout correctly per the schedule and did Core 2, though it was not pretty. My abs are actually STILL sore from Core 1 the other day. That just shows me that, despite not liking to work my abs, I should not skip that part so that I can strengthen those muscles.

My eating has been off the past few days, too - STILL. We had chocolate cravings last night, so we got some candy, and I ate some chocolate during our family movie last night (we watched The Big Short). I was good, though, and shared with my husband and sons so that I didn't eat everything I had picked out for myself. I figure I just have to get back on the "good" side again and keep moving forward despite that little step back.

I can't believe it's already been a month with X-train. 8 weeks to go, which means only 8 weeks until my 1st summer vacation. Yea!

Finishing up some client work (yes, sitting at my computer on a Saturday) and then getting ready to go out with my husband. He bought us tickets to the Phoenix Symphony today, and we are going to see "ABBA: The Concert!" Should be interesting!

Have a great weekend!

Chest, Back, and Shoulders done! I made a point to pick up heavier weight on a few moves, even if I hadn't marked to go up, just to see if I could. And, I'm happy to report that I could. I'm always surprised since it's never easy to see that come the start of the workout. I just have to be careful not to go too, too heavy, as my joints are ready for it. But, I got up to 22.5 on some of the back moves and even picked up a 15 pounder for one of the shoulder exercises, which is big for me.

Scale wasn't my friend this morning, so I'm just starting again, plugging away and doing the best I can in the eating department.

Have a great day!

I made a mistake today and read the schedule wrong. I completed cardio legs instead of chest, back, and shoulders! Clearly I was still asleep when I started exercising. Looking ahead in the week I think I am just going to have to stay the course and will try to fit in this weight workout on Sat as long as I am not too tired from the week. I am excited because we will add Tabatacise and Supercuts. Honestly I am excited to try them!

RanchMom - you might want to insert Chest/Back/Shoulders the day after Tabatacise? I looked at SuperCuts, and that appears to be one of those combo cardio/weight workouts using small weights. So, just in case maybe add a day between that and C/B/S?

Cardio Leg Blast today. I only completed the first half. When I got to the step portion, I decided to stop because it was really bothering my Achilles. I've had this chronic achilles pain for years - it comes and goes - and I can't really wear heels without it bothering me (luckily, my office is at home and I can wear slippers if I want!). So, after the workout, I used my portable ultrasound to treat it, and I'm going to try and do that 1 or 2 more times today and then rest it this week, especially since we have 3 powerful cardio days coming up in the rotation. My problem is that I started to overdo it on steps yesterday - was going for 15K but stopped around 13K - when I really needed to give myself a break.

The scale was down 2 1/2 pounds from yesterday morning! I'm glad because I was trying to figure out how I could have gained 3 1/2 pounds in a week, when really I probably just ate something that my body had a reaction to the day before, showing this weird weight gain. I think it was the coconut sugar I used as part of a marinade for a meat dish I made. A lot of paleo recipes use coconut products - and I think I have an intolerance to all things coconut. So, that bit of sugar I used I'm sure didn't help.

So, back at it, on track with everything, and trying to stick to mostly Paleo foods. Breakfast was scrambled eggs, strawberries, and then this carrot/cabbage/raisin/steak slaw I made with homemade Paleo mayo. Really good!

I am so sore today from cardio leg blast yesterday. I was having a great time and gave it my all. I can definitely feel it today!

Today I did bis and tris. Focused really hard on the exercises with the bands. Oh my. Overall I am already feeling very accomplished this week.

Great job to you on the workout today. I think its great that you recognize when you need to stop. You clearly try to get movement in throughout the day with the steps.

I've never used coconut sugar. I do use 1 tsp of coconut oil in the morning. It really helps me with digestion. If I skip it for a day or two I really have a rumbly belly. I like to sauté spinach in coconut oil and eat that with an egg.

Congratulations on the weight loss. I am very happy for you...wishing it would come off of my body too. LOL

I think I can clearly say that I am not a fan of Taba style training. I have always known this but I am publically saying it today. LOL

Wowzer, I made it through 2 rounds + the back bun set + core. I had no problem with the second half of my workout just the first half. The moves are not hard at all. Just pushing myself for the first two rounds was enough for me. I can't imagine completing all 5 rounds someday.

Wishing you the best today!

Wow, now I'm kind of scared! Which workout did you choose?

I can't do coconut oil for sure. Topically, I get a migraine. If I ingest it, I get a stomach ache. Too bad since it's supposed to be good for you, just not for me!

Bis and Tris - I made myself go heavier on a few things more than what I had marked, and I did well. I'm stronger than I thought on some moves. Right now, I have this muscle twitching in the front of my left shoulder. Don't know if it's from this AMs workout or what, but it pretty annoying as I try to work and type.

Good morning! I chose Premix 12 out of our 4 choices - of course because it was the shortest. Your post scared me a little.

Yes, it was a long workout once you threw in the back and ab portions. But, overall, I didn't think the Tabata part was that bad. I sort of felt like I was doing an ICE cardio workout. I would probably try premix 13 next time, just to see if I could do 3 of the Tabatas. Timing-wise, I don't think I would ever go higher than that. Plus, I imagine lifting heavy weights after doing 4 or 5 of those would be very difficult.

I think Hard Strikes is on the schedule for tomorrow? If so, good thing. It's always good to have a short workout on Friday!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.