Advice before buying STS

puavar

Hello all,
I am new to the Cathe forums. I do have a couple of videos that I LOVE, but I am really considering taking the leap and buying the STS set. I am 5'4" and weigh around 140 give or take a few pounds. I would love to lose these last 5 pounds but more than weight I'd love to continue to tone up, especially my hips, and upper thighs (if only we could spot reduce!!). I recently had my body fat tested using calipers and I am 23.9% fat, so if I could reduce that a bit, even without losing weight but with gaining muscle, I'd be thrilled.

So, my question is- is STS a good fit for me or is there another Cathe program/video combo that would work better?

I was also looking into preordering the Shock cardio but since that is down the line, I'd love to get a jump start on tightening up and building muscle without getting bulky.

Thanks for any insight

If you're looking to tighten and tone, STS WILL do it. I encourage you to take the leap. I'm doing the 6-month rotation and have tightened and toned like crazy!

ltg

Any of Cathe's weight DVDs will help you gain muscle, so you really can't go wrong with any purchase. :)

However, STS takes you through a 3 to 6 month program of periodization, where you'll be upping your weights, changing your reps, and changing the sequence of exercises. This kind of variety is hard to recreate with her regular DVDs. I suppose one could do it, but it would require a lot of effort and creativity, whereas with STS, you just pop in the next disc and go.

I suppose it depends on how money you have to invest. If you can only afford one or two DVDs, she has some great weight workouts out there! If you can afford to spend more, STS is top notch.

I love weight training. Before STS I did the Gym Style set and before that I did PS series and Slow & Heavy.

STS is great because it mixes things up and you don't get bored. You can modify it to your ability and you can choose to not do Meso 3 or just start off on Meso 2. Or mix things up with some of the rotations posted here.

It's worth the investment.

WORTH EVERY PENNY. I swear, once you start doing STS, you'll never regret the upfront investment, not even once. I've never felt this strong, toned and proud for what I've accomplished since starting the program in January. I'm now on a 6-month rotation after finishing the first 3-month version and love, love, LOVE it. You'd be surprised at how inches seem to disappear without even realizing it so if, like you say, pounds aren't really your issue but inches are, this is absolutely the right program for you!

I also recommend STS cardio and it's not even out yet but that's just me being a smidge on the Type-A/obsessive side ;)

Were you strict on the diet?

I always eat clean. However, i might have a home made desert once in a while. May be cheat here and there. i cannot be 100% strict. I eat pretty healthy. I focus a lot on soups. But I am definitely not strict and I just cannot be. so did you see results without being 100% strict or were you?

i can't wait to see something. It's only my 1st week. I am hoping by the 2nd month.

WORTH EVERY PENNY. I swear, once you start doing STS, you'll never regret the upfront investment, not even once. I've never felt this strong, toned and proud for what I've accomplished since starting the program in January. I'm now on a 6-month rotation after finishing the first 3-month version and love, love, LOVE it. You'd be surprised at how inches seem to disappear without even realizing it so if, like you say, pounds aren't really your issue but inches are, this is absolutely the right program for you!

I also recommend STS cardio and it's not even out yet but that's just me being a smidge on the Type-A/obsessive side ;)

Were you strict on the diet?

I always eat clean. However, i might have a home made desert once in a while. May be cheat here and there. i cannot be 100% strict. I eat pretty healthy. I focus a lot on soups. But I am definitely not strict and I just cannot be. so did you see results without being 100% strict or were you?

i can't wait to see something. It's only my 1st week. I am hoping by the 2nd month.

I won't say "strict" but "balanced." My whole thing is everything in moderation. Before I started STS, I really let loose a lot more on the weekends, looking at it as my time to eat what I want, drink what I want, etc. I'd eat well all week, however, thinking that would balance it out. After I started STS, I chose my battles more carefully, I'd eat healthfully but give myself a splurge - a glass or two of wine, a dessert, something that made me feel like I wasn't overly deprived on the weekend.

What I did change was my protein intake. I eat more for fuel than I did before so I try to make sure every meal has some protein in it, snacks too. The more the better. But I still eat lots of fruit and veggies, whole grains, etc. I will have some low-fat frozen yogurt or some fat free/sugar free pudding here and there for a fix but have cleaned things up a fair amount...other than on my last vaca that is! LOL back to the grind this week in preparation for the RT!

Thank you ladies!

I think I'm going to take the leap. I really like the idea that I can plug in the video that's next on the list and not think. The predetermined schedule is really exciting to me!

If I could ask another question- if there are two schedule versions- the 3 month and the 6 month- does the booklet that comes with the system tell you more about that and line out the videos for me or do I do that on this site through the workout manager? What is the main difference between the two versions.

I also do yoga 3 times a week. One class is pretty low key, but the other two are power/flow yoga. Could I stick to say the 3 month STS rotation and still keep up with my yoga or would I be seriously over doing it?

Thanks again! I'm excited :)

...the 3 month and the 6 month- does the booklet that comes with the system tell you more about that and line out the videos for me or do I do that on this site through the workout manager? What is the main difference between the two versions.
I can't remember if the book mentions the 3 vs 6 month rotation, but it's pretty easy:

On the 3 month, you just follow the discs in numeric order...

Week One: Discs 1, 2, and 3
Week Two: Discs 4, 5, and 6
Week Three: Discs 7, 8, and 9
etc.

On the 6 month, you simply do each week twice...

Week One: Discs 1, 2, and 3
Week Two: Discs 1, 2, and 3
Week Three: Discs 4, 5, and 6
Week Four: Discs 4, 5, and 6
etc.

I also do yoga 3 times a week. One class is pretty low key, but the other two are power/flow yoga. Could I stick to say the 3 month STS rotation and still keep up with my yoga or would I be seriously over doing it?
Only you will be able to determine that. Give it a try, and if you end up feeling way too tired, then you'll know to back off. I tried doing STS 4 days a week and wiped myself out.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.