Advanced level workouts for injured knee?

joanm105

Hi everyone, I'm hoping the collective knowledge of Cathletes can help me here. Cathe's workouts (RWH, HiIT 40-20, 30-30, XTrain Supercuts, Cardio leg blast and the like) are my absolute LOVES.

Now, after a recent injury, an MRI shows my knee pain is due to extensive cartilage damage/loss. Bottom line, my doctor says, no lunges, and keep jumping/pounding to a minimum. He suggested elliptical or exercise bike, both of which make me want to stick pins in my eyes from boredom.

I have the Low Impact workouts from RWH, and feel like I get a good workout even though I feel like I'm wussing out by lifting instead of jumping :-( I want to "burn" and keep the fat burning! I know I can modify to some extent, like reverse lunges instead of front. Any suggestions for workouts to try? I am a Cathe Live & On Demand subscriber.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Do you have Afterburn and Cardio Supersets from the Low Impact Series? Afterburn may be low impact but it is a killer workout. Cardio Supersets is definitely easier but very fun and still a good workout.

There's a whole low impact series, maybe check out some of them? I like afterburn & turbo barre. You'd probably need to modify both of these because they have lunges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would also suggest Cardio SuperSets although it isn't advanced, IMO. ICE To The Mat is great too, although probably not advanced for most. I find it tough however. I like firemedic's suggestion with using the discs ...brilliant!
How do you like pilates & floor barre work? Some are VERY tough, so I would suggest experimenting with that type of fitness as well. Leah Sarago's downloads are quite challenging. They are missing Cathe's fun factor, though. Sorry!!
I, personally, do not feel that jumping is at all necessary for fitness. You are going to have to heed your physician's recommendation about minimizing it whether you like it or not. ;) Be kind to your bones.

Take care.

Thanks, guys, for all the great suggestions. I used Workout Blender to make a compilation from Afterburn and CrossFire, with a bit of low impact hiit from RWH thrown in. Looking into TurboBarre too! Thanks again.

ICE Low Impact Sweat 1 and 2. Two uses a step but again you lift instead of jumping. ICE Metabolic Total Body, has some lunges but no impact those are my current faves. My knees have been talking to me lately and foot so I've had to work around these issues too. I've also been doing Cathe's Live and DVD spin workouts when I feel my knees and foot need a break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd give Cathe's spin classes another go. I have arthritis in both knees and a partially torn meniscus in one. I also have severe arthritis in my foot. I am able to go full out on the bike without any discomfort. The time goes by really fast. These workouts have been a God send for me since i am unable to do ANY jumping right now. By the end I am dripping with sweat!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.