Abs: pikes on ball!

NathL

Cathlete
I tried them a couple of times in PUB and in the "Tough core" premix in Core Max and spent more times trying to not to fall on my face than doing the actual exercise!!! Does anyone else have trouble with that one? And do some of you have tricks on #1 how to stay on the ball :7 and #2 how to do that exercise with proper form?

Thanks
Nathalie

Nathalie,

It took me a long time to be able to do pikes on the ball. Part of my problem was trying to push myself up using my upper body but it's more a pulling up through the core. Once I started thinking that way I was able to do them. All it takes it pratice.

Good Luck!

Like Lioness, it took me awhile to be able to do these, and practice definitely helps!

It also really does help you stay on the ball if you do these on a sticky yoga mat. For awhile, I had just been using a beach towel, but it really does make a difference to have the yoga mat underneath you since the ball doesn't roll away as much.

I've also found that wearing long pants helps me stay on the ball, although I know that other people have said that bare legs help them cling better. You might want to experiment and see!

Hope this helps!:)

Pikes are a very advanced move, and you may need to do a less difficult move and build up to pikes.

Start with a roll-in, without the 'piking' movement. Concentrate on using your abs to bring the ball closer to your elbows.

You can also do a pike move on the floor using gliding discs or paper plates: put your feet on the discs/plates and do the move that way. This reduces the difficulty by reducing the need to keep the body stable on the ball.

IMO, I think it's better to do a less difficult version with excellent form than keep trying to do an advanced move and not even doing it half-way decently.

I use a sticky mat which helps. Someone told me a long time ago to point my toes, and for me that seems to help a lot.

I finally got this move when I read another poster's advice: concentrate on lifting your bottom toward the ceiling. When I did that this move clicked for me.

I agree with Kathryn, though, that it's better to do a modified version with perfect form. Once you get that down, then try the pikes again. It's a tough move!

anne

I've been working on this a year and am finally getting them. I keep the ball on a mat. I have better control if I wear shorts. pants seem too slippery. I did planks with my feet on the ball at first, then moved to roll ins. I'm getting the hang of pulling my legs up from the middle core area. I don't know how close to vertical I'm getting but it happened for me all of a sudden. t.

I couldn't do them at *all* until I got a better, thicker, burst resistant ball. Once I did that, then I could focus more on what I was doing and less on keeping my face off the ground. ;)

It helps me to think about lifting my a$$ in the air. I can only do them about half way up, but I'm getting better!

Also, some people have noted that doing them with a ball that is just a bit deflated helps keep it steadier while you're learning the move.

HTH!

Susan L.G.

These are tough and I finally got them after hearing some great advice from this forum . . . BUT I can do the pikes in Pyramid Upper Body (PUB) when I just do the abs and haven't just completed all of PUB. I find PUB really tough, and by the time I get to the abs at the end of the DVD my arms are toast.

After completing PUB, I usually wait til the next day to do the pikes when my arms aren't as tired. Keep trying! And think about pushing your glutes into the air. :)

Have a great day,
Dawn

>
>
>You can also do a pike move on the floor using gliding discs
>or paper plates: put your feet on the discs/plates and do the
>move that way. This reduces the difficulty by reducing the
>need to keep the body stable on the ball.
>
>IMO, I think it's better to do a less difficult version with
>excellent form than keep trying to do an advanced move and not
>even doing it half-way decently.

Thanks Kathryn I'll try this and see how it goes.
:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.