? About Wrist Problems

Lora55

Hi,
Years ago I was in an accident and did something to hurt my wrist causing me not to be able to do push ups or anything where I have to put weight on it. It makes much of workouts very difficult for me. I'm wondering if you have any suggestions other then seeing a doctor and have surgery that might help. Not so much with eliminating the pain but maybe movements I could substitute when Cathe is doing things I can't do. I suppose the only thing you could really tell me is do what you can and find my own ways to get around the pain. Just thought I'd ask in hopes you had some suggestions.

Thanks, Lora.

Some people have mentioned using WAGS for wrist support. I've never used them but I can see where they would be helpful. I use a thicker mat for my palm to rest on while doing pushups. The WAGS work on that concept. You may want to look into them and maybe they are still having some sales since XMAS is tomorrow.

Kim

I've tried with with no luck. But maybe I should still use them. At least it would give me a bit more support even though the pain really hurts so much that I still can't do things.

I have the same problem. In fact I'm having wrist surgery in January. I find doing wall push-ups or using a chair helps me. I have the same problem with burpees. They are doable using a chair. There's much less pressure on the wrist.

What are "push up stands"? Doing push ups, standing up? That seems to make it a bit easier, but doing a push up with a chair is pure torture. Maybe I will have to just do more of my arm workout with free weights while everyone else is doing push ups or anything that puts pressure on my wrist.

Lora, I'm not sure what your exact problem is, but I also have an issue. I simply use dumb bells on the floor for pushups. It works great. I cannot do tricep dips at all though, so I just do another tricep exercise. Hope that helps.

And don't forget about acupuncture! It's a great help with pain, and can also heal what's actually wrong.

Also, in Jessica Smith's new Walk Strong set, she has a Prehab Routine which is a restorative workout that
addresses exercises for all parts of the body, including wrists. I thought the wrist exercises were particularly
good. I know other restorative programs have immensely helped my arthritis and I'm so glad now to have a series
of exercises that focus on the wrists too. This might be something you could check out that would be reasonably affordable as well.

Are you wanting just a substitute for push-ups? Are you able to use free weights for chest work? If so, you could always sub in chest press and/or flyes when Cathe is doing pushups. HTH :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.