A CONVERT TO DIGITAL DOWNLOAD VERSUS DVD

Amy Steppe

Cathlete
I ordered the DVDs only for the new presale.

I was browsing Yahoo news today and I found a very informative article.

I hope this thread is available because one of the 5 things losing their appeal are DVD players and DVDs.

I strongly urge DVD people like me to watch this video:

http://financiallyfit.yahoo.com/finance/video-top-5-devices-losing-their-appeal-22777671

So I am going to begin to buy my favorite Cathe videos as Digital Downloads.

Cathe and Chris -- you two are always on top of everything. From State of the Art workouts to State of the Art Technology in the way we view your workouts you are hands down the best and most progressive in the fitness industry.

Just think if we all had purchased the digital downloads we would already be enjoying the workouts instead of waiting for Sony to send them to Cathe for distribution.

I remember when I only wanted VHS Cathe Workouts. I was familiar with VHS, but DVDs were becoming the new format for videos. At a roadtrip 10 years ago, Chris convinced me that CTX would be the final call for VHS and he strongly advised me to purchase CTX on DVD. Although the VHS version of CTX was released about 6 weeks earlier than the DVDs I made the choice for the DVD set with bit of hesitation. I even felt left out when those who had purchased the VHS were already raving about the series.

But Chris was right.

And now the people at Cathe Dot Com are spot on and I wish that had I had ordered both the DVD and the Digital downloads during the Presale. I buy Digital copies of films all the time at Amazon, so what was I thinking?

I have almost every DVD (and VHS for that matter) Cathe has ever made. There are a few that I don't care for, but I keep 99% of her workouts. All on DVD! I sell the few I don't care for which amounts to about 6 DVD Cathe has ever made.

I just wanted to share my story. DVDs are becoming history and digital downloads cost a LOT less and no shipping charges mean savings and early release for us all.

I foresee the day when Cathe will liquidate all DVDs like they did with VHS.

Please my typos or grammatical mistakes. I am writing this in a hurry.

Last edited:
Thanks for the Interesting Link

I just recently started dabbling in digital downloads because of the deal with the pre-sale of Shock Cardio & now the new series, and I really like them. It's still hard to breakaway from what we know. We all know change is good, and our bodies have an incredible ability to adapt to change. It's just that we are such creatures of habit, and our natural psychological resistance to change comes from the fear of the unknown or expectation of loss. Fortunately for me, I find I am accepting and embracing change better as I'm getting older. Maybe I'm just tired of wasting time & energy worrying about change or fighting it. Also I'm excited to try the Workout Blender!

Well for me it's not about being adverse to change. My job provides change on a daily basis, so I can deal with that. I'm not doing the downloads anytime soom, because I just recently bought the DVD versions of Cathe's workouts and I not spending more money to rebuy them.

I might look at getting the downloads for STS and Shock Cardio but I will using the DVD's I have since they are all brand new (Many of them purchased before the downloads cane out last year and didn't get downloads b/c they didin't have the premixes).

Sounds like the wait time from Sony is a normal thing that happens as this is their active time of year. The only reason for the delay is b/c they closed a plant. I have enough to keep me busy so I'm not worried about the timeframe.

I do understands other's anxiousness b/c they have been working out to Cathe alot longer than I have.

Change is good depending on what it is but not for me at this time.

I like the idea of downloads, and the Workout Blender looks fantastic, it would be the perfect thing for creating interesting and challenging workouts designed specifically for your needs.

The big thing though, is if you don't have all the peripherals and services needed to download, store & play 1 GB workouts, the investment in that change & buying downloads is more than buying the DVDs, a lot more. I'd love to download, it just doesn't make economic sense to do it right now. It's the workout you want to do, I don't think one or the other is better as long as the workouts get done...:)

I'm sure in time I'll make that change but not anytime soon, so for me it's DVDs....I certainly hope they still offer DVDs for some time to come....:confused:

Linda

Downloading Requirements

Though I do agree that downloads are an up and coming technology and many improvements are still to come that will make downloading a snap, you really don't need a lot of equipment to enjoy them nowadays. Almost any desktop computer sold today will have plenty of hard disc space and will certainly have the capabilities to play downloads. If your existing computer doesn't have enough room on its hard drive you can purchase an external drive very cheaply. Heck, a 2 TB external drive costs less than $100 and this will hold ten times what our entire collection will take up. 50% of the country already has smart phones that can be used to play the videos and output them to a TV.

The only thing you want to make sure is that you have a "wired" broadband connection, not wireless. We will continue to sell DVDs as long as there is a market to do so. Eventually download sales will overtake DVDs sold and at some point DVDs will go the way of VHS. Downloads have already surpassed Blu-ray and standard-def DVD manufacturing has already started to decline. As companies like YouTube and Apple get more involved in video download distribution this will cause download sales to increase at a much more rapid rate. This is not the far off future, it's starting to happen now and over the next two years should really explode.

Certainly, DVDs and downloads each have there disadvantages and advantages. There is nothing wrong with waiting for the technology to improve and become cheaper, but at the same time most people already have all the equipment they need to enjoy Cathe downloads.

If nothing else there is one reason to keep the DVD's available for the foreseeable future, there are still plenty of us who live in dial-up land. Short of satellite, which is just too pricey, there is no way for us to get high speed internet where we live.

Wireless Problems

With wireless you get all of the problems of DSL plus all of the problems of wireless. There are just more things that can go wrong.

The main problem with wireless is loss of connectivity. This will depend on your service provider and how your wireless is configured and if a firewall is being used. If you're using a free wireless service you probably will not have any idea or control over the wireless configuration and settings. Also, many wireless services limit you to amount and file size of your downloads that they allow each month. In many cases you will exceed your monthly limit after just downloading a couple of workouts.

A common problem with wireless is that in some cases it will temporarily stop a download after say 3 minutes and then resume, and then after another 3 minutes will stop and start again and so on an so on. Each time your wireless stops and resumes a download will make our system think you you are attempting a fresh download. This will result in our system thinking you have exceeded your maximum download attempts. The same problem can also occur on a wired system because of anti virus software or a firewall.

I'm still "old skool." I still buy music CDs and books. I just love having something tangible in my grubby lil' hands. :D

I love DD for music I like the fact that I can pick and choose a song.

As for Cathe's DD I want to get them put I just got done finishing up my cathe library in dvds,so I will wait to get them all on DD.

Just a funny thing to mention,my mother in law still has a beta max and her vhs player below her tv......:cool:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.