50 and over November check in

I thought I would post here, and I am over 50

I also post on the forum that is for people with problems, and I have a bad back and bum knee. I wear a McDavid knee brace on the right knee, and I can run, doing the jumping in the MMA workouts, and I can do some jumping on the step. I stick with low impact step workouts whenever I can, but there are not enough of them. I am doing LoMax today and my upper body. Happy Thanksgiving

Joan, it's Deb from the Pentagenarians & Beyond check in---

tried to find you over at MyFitnessPal so we could support/encourage each other on the diet and exercise...what is your user name over there? I am "fox2star" just like here.

I need all the help I can get!

Deb

HI Deb!! I just watched the National dog show -- wire fox terrier won! That's what you have, right? :D
I am going to my first agility show on Saturday - sooo excited.

Happy thanksgiving everyone!

Joan. I hope you are feeling better. I don't have my yet but I will soon.

Jann. I know what your mean about too many days off!! Good luck on the agility competition!

Welcome Caitlin. Your in the right place!

I did my 6 miles today using the walk run format. I got real excited to find that there is an app on iTunes that is free and coaches you through the 1min walk 1min run routine. Then I came home and did not overeat!! Yeah!

How did you all do?

Hi,

Jann, yes that is same breed we have..and we have 2 of them! Acutally our Keegan's breeder is a co-owner of Sky, the dog that won today. She is on cloud 9 right now.

Hope everyone had a great holiday!

Welcome Caitlin!

I seem to be over whatever I had except for a drippy nose. I have appt with trainer tomorrow at 10am.

I thought we had a nice Thanksgiving but I just had a call from son and he is talking about divorce. Since we own the house they live in I'm not sure what dil is thinking. She also totaled her car and is using a borrowed car and she only has a part time job at Macy's over the holidays.

It was an effort but I did get 30 minutes on the treadmill tonight.

Joan

Deb - OH WOW -- I sorta know someone who knows the co-breeder of the National Dog Show Winner!! :D:D:D:D

Beth :p We are going to the agility dog show as spectators, Reggie is possibly over a year away from competing if at all. :D Thanks for the encouragement though!

Our turkey day is today. I am cooking -- so off to get that done! :)

Hi ladies! I am 51 and this seems like a great thread for me and would like to join in with you all. Today I did Athletic Training for the first time and loved it. I then took my 110 lb dog for our 2.5 walk. I really should say he actually takes me for the walk! :). Been working out with Cathe for years and joined these forums but never got serious with them. Only recently I signed on to realize my login information was still active so here I am!

Welcome Labnick! I have found having ladies of the same age is a good incentive. We all are going through the same "period" (( or lack of ;):rolleyes:)) of life.

Cardio day! Treadmill!

Thanks Jann! Same here for me. Legs are feeling the workout from yesterday so today is a quick run on treadmill then walking Chester.

Welcome Labnick. We go through periods where we are very chatty and then some days no one posts, but we always come back.

Dil was gone for 2 days and my son got an idea of what a single parent would be like. He's decided it would be worse to be divorced. I hope they work at it rather than just living in the same house.

Almost all the junk out of the house. I want to have at least three good weeks of eating before Christmas and then vacation.

HI all! Well I didn't do badly last week, yay! I manged to move the scale down, only .2 BUT I'll take that!! :p

Did I mention to you guys that my last blood showed I am prediabetic? I am not surprised just scared. Both my biological parents were diabetic and a couple of biological aunts and uncles. I also had gestational diabetes while caring my 2nd son. DNA - what are you going to do? So the doctor wants me to take 10 pounds off -- :confused::confused::confused: I told him I've been trying to take that 10 pounds off for years -- :eek::eek::eek: So I have completely stopped eating sugar and all processed foods now. I have managed to go down, he gave me 4 months.

Joan, kids!! They really do have to find out for themselves how life works. {{Joan}}

Jann I hope you find what works to lose weight. I'm at 170.4 and can't seem to get below 170. I have gotten to 160 using crazy diets like hcg but that never stays off. Even if I only got to 150 I would be happier.

Joan

I know, Joan. I am hoping cutting all sugar helps -- it seems to be. It's really really hard. Eating out is my biggest down fall. Since I have gotten the news, I have been really good about no deserts. The crazy thing is for me, I already eat pretty clean, so they have me cutting down on oils. I do use evoo on everything I cook, vegetables, meat etc. So that and NO sugar the scale is moving ALLLL so slowly! Every time I look at desert now, I have to remind myself -- well, do you Want To Stick a Needle in yourself daily????? :( - helps. I have been exercising again not just yard work, walking the dog, house work etc. I think the extra "burn" is helping also.
The scale shows me in the overweight category == He wants me in normal weight. :confused: ME TOO - :p, for years!

Jann, I have type 2. Was diagnosed when I turned 40. I too had gestational diabetes when I carried my son. Had him when I was 30. I was always considered borderline diabetic after. It was a wake up call when I went from pre to having diabetes. The past 11 years I have been taking oral medication and also control my diet. Exercise is very important. I am doing whatever I can to avoid insulin shots. I do not diet I just changed my eating habits and it became a way of life for me. I feel great and have tons of energy!

Today it was HIIT Pyramid followed by crossfire premix fitness blast & firewalker tabata followed by cardio kick power drills wearing 1 lb hand weights. It was an awesome workout!

Lori

Joan - I know what you mean -- there seems to be "THAT" number and you get to it and you just can't seem to beat it. I am really trying this time and of all times over the holidays! :(:( I have to!

Lori - I am scared. I read that synthroid may cause a rise in blood sugar I have been taking that for over a year now. I am hoping with the changes I am making it makes a difference. I eat pretty clean/healthy, I just had the occasional sweet when ever I wanted. :confused: I also eat more carbs than I should which I am cutting back on now.

Off to do burn circuit 1.

I still love my fitbit and it shows since 11/11/12 I haven't had 10000 steps in any day. I was averaging that or more. The week I got sick I stopped moving and I just haven't gotten back as active. Sunday I had 31 minutes on treadmill but only 5117 steps for the day. Yesterday I didn't have to babysit and spent the whole time working in my office and only 5599 steps. I have to get moving.

Today is gym day for upper body.

Joan

I am in the over fifty group

I am in the over fifty group so I thought I would begin posting here. Jann, you can be in the overweight category, and you can still be physically fit. If you are exercising, I would bet you are physically fit. I know how easy it can be to get hung up on weight. I ballooned to 155 once when a doctor put me on a drug that caused weight gain. When I found out, I stopped taking it, and I lost 20 pounds in one month. I am only about 5'1" or 5'2", and I am overweight at 135. However, I still exercised every day, and I was still physically fit, so, Jann, I believe that you are physically fit, and that is more important than your weight. Now I am around 115, and I still feel fat. It is all our perception of ourselves. I don't have the best personal training certifications, but I have three AFAA certifications, one in personal training, one in group fitness, and one in cycling. I know the College of Sports Medicine is better. I really don't like going to school, and I spent eight years at New York University getting an M.A. in British literature. The only thing I can do with it is teach, and in New York City, almost every school has a metal dectector. The white students are almost worse than the black students as their parents think they can do no wrong. I always took the teacher's side when my kids were younger.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.