287 lbs starting weight

ATC1986

Cathlete
I started my weight loss journey at 334 lbs a little over a year ago. By simply making a few diet changes, I dropped my weight down to 280ish lbs. I'm ready to start working out and eating better. I just joined Weight Watchers to help me with the nutrition aspect, but am turning to Cathe dvds to help me workout. Where do I start with the dvds? Is there a good program to start off with?

I would suggest Kick/Punch/Crunch as one of your starting DVDs. You don't need equipment, it's lots of fun, and you'll burn a ton of calories! If I'm remembering correctly, you get Legs & Glutes on that DVD as well. That's a goodie too. Congrats on your weight loss so far. You've picked a master trainer for your fitness component. Cathe's workouts are tough, but hang in there with her & you won't be disappointed!

Lily

Congratulations on your progress! And your excellent choice of Cathe! Have you seen the Official Cathe Beginner and Intermediate Rotations in the Video & DVD Rotations forum? You might want to start with one of those.

As far as DVD's, Cathe has some in the Beginner/Intermediate levels. Otherwise, I would recommend Low Impact Circuit, Low Max, Cardio & Weights, High Reps or Power Hour, and the Low Impact Series. Remember, there are shorter premixes you can do to work up to the full workouts, use less risers on the step, modify harder moves, and take short breathers when needed. I find Cathe tough but highly motivating!!!

Good luck and visit Cathe forums often for great advice, support, and motivation. :)

You go girl and congrats on picking Cathe as your trainer:) I love Low Max as a starter because of the premix. I started with just the step portion first answer worked my way up to the entire workout. I also started with just the top of the step, no riser and eventually added risers. I think you might also do well with the MMA workouts-- total of 3. You can't go wrong no matter what you pick:)

Congrats on your weight loss!! I agree with all the others, you could not have picked a better trainer to work with. With majority of Cathe's workouts being pretty tough, like Mare145 said take advantage of the premixes and don't feel like you need to keep up with Cathe. Do what you can and take a break when you need to.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted on your journey!

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! I started with Cathe when I was around 250 lbs and I started with Basic Step because it came with a step that I had purchased. Good luck!

congrats! And like everyone else has said Cathe is an excellent choice. Premixes are great! I started with Cathe years ago and a few of my favorites that are very easy to modify are Bootcamp/Muscle Endurance and Pryamid DVD.

good luck and don't get overwhelmed at all of the choices...just pick one or two to start and you can't go wrong...before you know it you'll be like the rest of us and you'll own them all!!!

I don't have any advice to add but want to congratulate you on the weight loss :) Come back and keep us updated!

I just ordered the step with the beginner videos. In your experience, is it hard to get coordinated with using the step?

I just ordered the step with the beginner videos. In your experience, is it hard to get coordinated with using the step?

Hi there! Congratulations on losing weight! I do think you can do the beginner DVD! Just remember to listen to her cues and rewind if you have to!!!

Cathe's cueing is perfection! The workouts are a little longer in the beginning as you may be hitting he rewind button repeating newer steps over & over until you get the knack. Thats part of the fun! I loved Basic Step & Body Fusion, and it has quite a bit of variety. Check out the http://cathe.com/forum/f100/official-cathe-beginner-rotation-236223/ for an idea.

The beginner DVD is actually the perfect one to begin with! She treated as a beginner DVD, so she actually breaks down pretty much every move. In later DVDs, show just throw a term at you like "around the world." Here she actually shows you how to do that. You'll love her! Good luck!

I was horrible at the movements when I first started and did as many suggested--I rewound the tape a couple of times. If I didn't get it after 3 rewinds, I just moved on then I would go back to those sections when the workout was over and practice a bit. Stick with it -- I believe it actually improved my coordination and as you do more videos she uses similar moves in different sequences so you aren't really learning a lot of new moves she just puts them together differently.

You should be so proud of yourself. This is a wonderful accomplishment that takes a commitment to YOURSELF--you are worth it!!!

Use the forums as you are now because they are filled with terrific, supportive people.

Best,
-Michele

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.