Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 6/25

Deb, i use around 2 to 3 tablespoons of nut butter. 2 if i add honey because it needs enough moisture to not be real crumbly. I have tried coconut milk etc. To moisten but then it has an almost glue consistancy.There are different types of collagen. So , yes i think there is a difference. Type 2 is generally chicken, i think. It works more for the joints. 1 and 3 will help but m a inly is for hair and nails. I tried it with just the plain bone broth collagen powder since the considtancy seems similar to the bone broth protein and it worked. The collagen does have some protein, just notvas much as the bone broth protein powder.

Hi Everyone,

My low back started bothering me yesterday :( I'm going do foundation training and my physical therapy stretches for a few days. I will probably make this an active rest week. I was planning one for the first week of July but I think I need to move it up. I did get the Fit Tower DVDs yesterday and I previewed Total Body last night. It looks really good. I will preview the others today.

Deb-that's too bad about your streaming. I hope you can find out what the problem is.

Carolyn-I hope you get your DVDs soon. Great job with IMAX!

Diane Sue-I saw KCM's new workout posted yesterday. It looks like a good one. I noticed on her Facebook page that she is filming in September and is planning on a 5 DVD box set designed as a rotation and it will come with a nutrition guide.

Lori-I want to do the Fit Fusion workout too! Hopefully next week. This looks like a great series! I'm glad I preordered it.

Valerie-great job with all the outdoor riding!

Caitlin-It's good that you were able to gain 5 lbs back.

Hope everyone has a great day!

Judy

Diane Sue,

I searched KCM's site, and her FB page and could not find that new RAW workout. Also looked on YouTube. Why don't they just put everything in one place???? So frustrating.

Edited to add: I just found it by copying and pasting the name from your note into YouTube.

Our intention was to ride yesterday, but DH was loading the bikes and saw he had a flat tire. he tried fixing it but there was a problem with the rim tape inside, so ended up taking it to a bike shop to replace the tape. so time marched on and we didn't ride anyway. I ran errands, hit
Costco and then did High reps upper body and abs. that is the thing about riding. If I do a 2-3 hr ride, I am not likely to do a weight workout or any indoor that day. It's been more than a week so weights felt hard yesterday and these are light weights. If I'm not near the workout room, I can forget it easily. Judy that is the thing about outdoor exercise. I can go much longer than indoors but I tend to blow off weight work!. good luck on the active rest week.

oh yes.... hat hair /helmet hair is a pretty sobering thing. if I brush my hair out immediately it is not too bad, but if it dries in the shape it comes out of the helmet, it is hopeless. You would think with the huge vents in helmets that it wouldn't happen but it does. a hat heats up your head and traps moisture, and it really deteriorates any kind of hairdo. I hate wearing hats, but I don't like sunscreen much either. brimmed hat, big sun glasses, a light daily sunscreen on my face. I can use products on my arms and legs that are too strong for my face. it's totally different skin!

so funny how dogs are so different about water. you can't keep a lab OUT of water, and yours run from the hose.

We are hoping we like the blinds. they are the honeycomb ( duette) ones that have been around a long time but are newer technology making them extremely efficient at insulating. they come in a black out version too, but we decided on semi opaque. if we like them I will replace a set of vertical blinds on a large slider with them at our current house.

Deb, beef flavor and odor are strong. overwhelming. I haven't touched any in > 45 years. If I wanted indigestion, that would be just the ticket. I am sensitive to some odors, cooking beef is one, as is lamb. Never go to greek restaurants because of the smell. I can't smell 'rancid" and need DH to check things like nuts for me. so I am a mixture of very sensitive and totally insensitive. I remember chem lab where we compounded banana smell, and I could not recognize it.

Today I did Fit Tower Total Body Advanced which took me longer because I had to stop and adjust where the tower was sitting etc. , I had the barbell clips on the wrong side and had to stop for that because I kept hitting them with the bar. Anyway, I will get used to where things should be. This took me 55 minutes, 242 calories. I then did Fit Tower Advanced Legs, Glutes, Core, timesaver 2, legs and core express, 29minutes, 68 calories, and the bonus abs 12 minutes, 30 calories. Total time was 96 minutes and calories burned 340. 2692 steps so far today. I just do not get the calorie burns with strength and conditioning work. I will do better when I get the weights and tower usage correct. I think a few things I could have gone heavier. I used my latex free green band because it is harder to pull than the latex one they sent with the tower. Also I did the firewalker loop band option on the legs, glutes and core workout.
Total Body started out with the step which had 3 risers on it
uneven squats 16 reps right 16 reps left 20# they used 15#
deadlifts 12 reps 50# barbell they used 45
elevated lunges 16 reps then 15 and 1 count 15# me (12# Cathe)
bench press barbell 45# 16 reps set 2 with a different rep count
close grip bench press 30# 2 sets done the same as the bench press
break to remove bench and clips
drops sets push ups moving the bar on the tower down each set
triceps dips with tower at level 4 2 sets cathe crosses leg on right the first set and left the second
triceps kickbacks straight then bent arm kickbacks with band and tower 2 sets
static lunge with one arm lateral raise 8# 2 sets of 16 reps on each side
band pulls over 100 reps that I counted. Cathe says she didn't give an amount
dumbbell touch down overhead press 12# 2 sets
barbell push press complex(clean, press 3 times, deadlift, upright row) Cathe 20#, me 30#
biceps curls barbell 30# 16 reps varies on how the reps are done 4,4,4,4
biceps front leg raise bicep curl 12# Cathe 15# me second set she does a W curl
crossback lunges 15 r, 7 and 1 twice, 3 and 1 4 times, singles
1 arm row 25# 16 reps 2nd set 12 reps
seated lat pulldown with the band and tower 32 reps
pull ups
vertical pull ups with a different count

Judy, be careful with the back. I wonder how Kelly's nutrition plan will be. I have heard her talk about the Abs Diet way of eating. I have the Abs Diet and Abs Diet Cookbook but have not really used it. I try to not eat many grains and it seems like there was quite a few in that diet. Kelly looks great though. A boxed set from her with a full program would be nice. I watched the short clip of the new workout on Instagram. It was the first thing that popped up when I went to check Instagram.

Deb, glad that you found the Kelly workout by the name I typed. When I did that I was wondering if that was actually the name of the workout. Now I know :)

Valerie, I used to cut my hair shorter during the months we would ride the motorcycle to keep so many of the ends from blowing in the wind. When I took off the helmet it would be flipped up and out on the bottom. It curled up around the bottom of the helmet. Looked crazy. Then the top would be flat. I tried buying one of those scarf things to put on my head and hated it. Now if I wear a light windbreaker, I twist it and tuck it inside the neck. It still is not wonderful. I have the worst time with sunscreens. I have to wash my hand after applying because if I touch my face it aggravates my face. I can use zinc and titanium and nothing else. Moisturizers that are labeled day moisture almost always have some sunscreen to aggravate my skin. I don't like hats either. I never where them. Just the necessary helmet. My husband bought me a big pink wide brimmed hat when we were on vacation once and thought it looked cute on me. It is in the toy box.

My workout today was LIS Total Body Trisets. I did a total body timesaver premix. Workout time was 1 hour with 237 calories burned. This was the first time that I've done the total body premix. I always do either upper or lower body split. My dvds arrived today! I plan to start previewing them this afternoon.

Diane Sue, you are correct the Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides are types 1 and 3. Based on my reading, type 3 collagen is from chickens. I also read that you should not take types 1and 3 at the same time as type 2 because of problems with the body absorbing them when they are together. I was confused by the Dr. Axe collagen that has all three types or the one with 5 types (what are the other two types?).

Judy, the KCM 5 dvd set sounds intriguing. I have done a few of the rotations that Kelly has on her site and have enjoyed them. I am not as interested in the raw YouTube workouts.

Lori, I love the music from IMAX 2. I always try to get to the section with the pina colada song!

Valerie, the duette blinds will be great. I really like the way that they look.

Deb, I hope you can find a way to use your collagen powder so that it doesn't go to waste.

Caitlin, I'm glad that your weight is moving in the desired direction.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

I am looking for hair color without tons of chemicals. Particularly PPD (Para Phenylenediamine) . I am having so many problems with bumps and scabs and itchy scalp. If it isn't one thing it is another. I purchased some Neem Therapy shampoo and conditioner for sensitive scalps and notice a little less itchiness. Anyway, reading and searching I came up with some things that are in almost every hair color, including those claiming to be natural. I had been using Nature Tint and finally found the PPD on the bottom of the box in tiny letters. There are some that have way less. Clairol and Garnier have over 5%. I went back to Sprouts and got Tints of Nature which has nothing to do with the other I have been using. It has .42% in it. Which is better than 5. I don't want to go to a color rinse and am not ready to go grey. It seems my scalp starts to get a bit better over the month and then I color my hair again. I had switched from the Schwartzcof that I was purchasing at Walmart because at least Nature Tint did not smell bad and burn as much when I did my hair. Anyway, hopefully this is better. I am going to search some of the few others like Madison Reed. I am not sure where you get some of them at. I talk to my daughter dermatologist and she said maybe it was stress. She is so funny. When I had the leg itchy bumps she did a scraping gave it some name which meant a name for a rash that hangs on for about a year but no particular reason. Go figure.

Carolyn, the full set of Collagen in the one Dr Axe is Collagen type I,II,III,V,X. I too read that you should not take the I and III at the same time as II. At one point I had a I and III formula in capsules and purchased II to take at night and the other in the morning. Most companies do not have them all mixed together like that. All I know is I read that the II is the one you want for mainly joints and ligaments. So, I try to make sure that it is in whatever formula I use, and I know it works. All I have to do is stop taking it for a few days and I see the difference. My canister says Chicken Type 2 on the front of the label. I guess the whole thing gets confusing. Dr Axe needs to provide more ideas for using the collagen powder though. I am fine with it in my greens powder. I don't use the greens powder particularly as a tasty treat. I use it for health. It is not bad tasting, just not yummy. I don't even put a whole cup of water in it because I don't want to use a huge container of it. I find if I mix it with the collagen and a Tablespoon of Bee pollen the night before and refrigerate it, it tastes better to me. But, mixing the collagen with nut butter etc. does taste good to me and I look forward to it that way. I have tried Epic Bone broth which is very expensive and hated it. It tasted like some roast meat tastes that I think has an old bone flavor. Sort of like Deb mentioned about her collagen. The only way I will do that again is make my own and I never seem to find fresh soup bones. I should ask my daughter if I could have hers if when they butcher again. She thinks the thought of bone broth is gross. I imagine they have to pay for the packaging of that though.

Diane Sue, thanks for the link to that article. I think I have read parts of it before. Collagen can be very confusing subject. I don't use any type of hair color now, but that was a very difficult transition for me. My hair started going gray when I was in my twenties so I had years of coloring and using chemical relaxers. My hair was weakened after all of those years of chemicals and started to come out after I had radiation and started taking tamoxifen. That was when I stopped. It took a while but I am very happy with the silver color that I have now naturally.

Carolyn, I have a friend who recently let her hair grow out and took pictures through the process and it looks beautiful on her. My roots just started showing grey in the last few years. I have let my hair grow out and stay it's dirty blond color before. I found one of the colors mentioned on Amazon that does not have the chemicals, it is 25 dollars a box and there is quite a process of painting it on and using heat on it.
Yes, collagen can be confusing. I kept wondering why Dr Axe had different varieties.

Good evening ladies,

This morning I did my Fit Fusion Blend I made up which was a nice combination of all 3 workouts. I loved it. Total time was 52 mins / 302 cal. I am really liking these workouts a lot.

Deb...I had a hard time finding Kelly's new live workout too and plugged in the 888 and it came up. Not sure if I will ever get to these. Hoping you get your streaming all squared away. Very fustrating. You will do fine with the original Fit Tower for these workouts. Can't wait to hear your opinion.

Diane Sue...The On Demand workout blender is very easy to use and you will pick it up rather quickly. I liked it a lot when I subscribed to it. I loved the desk top version back in the day and made some really great workouts that I still have filed away. The workouts I make now are on my ipad using Imovie. I like having the downloads to mix and match and most importantly take out what I do not like! So far on these workouts I have not come across a move I do not care for. I can get very creative with my workouts. Sometimes I have several instructors blended together. Nice workout today. I actually liked the core section of the Legs, Glutes and Core. Went by quickly. Felt the 100s for sure! Thanks for the Link..going to look into it tonight to learn about the different types.

Judy...hope your back is better quickly. Good idea to move up your active rest week. Do you subscribe to On Demand too? I think yes. I dropped mine a while ago. I was not using it to its fullest. Made a blender workout here and there but just as easy to do on my ipad since I have purchased a quite a few of Cathe's downloads. If yes...would love to hear how you like her Fit Fusion workout.

Valerie...I have been trying to fit in a heavier weight workout at least once a week. I love my barre and lightweights but feel heavier has its place too. So far it has been a Live workout here and there and this seems to be working for me. Perhaps you will be able to go for a ride tomorrow now that all is fixed up?

Carolyn...Yes! The pina colada song! So much fun!

Hi to Caitlyn!

Have a hreat night all.

Lori, we are hiking tomorrow. at least that is the plan. trail conditions have been dicey this year with a whole lot of snow still blocking things. should have ridden today but didn't happen, so I did Ice chiseled upper body. not that hard even using Cathe weights, but I did upper two days in a row, so just right.

if my hair went to serious gray or silver I would not bother with color, but it's just insipid and washed out looking... not any color really. so I am staying with a light brown/blond ish color that looks better. I also get some itching from the coloring process. I would quit if it didn't look so awful, but I can't stand seeing that.

are we talking jimmy buffet... Margaritaville here? Love it!.

Good morning,

No workout yesterday.

Diane Sue, I guess I am just not getting it...you mix a scoop of the bone broth collagen powder into 2-3 TBLS of nut butter then just eat it? The newest KCM workout looks really tough! It almost looks like the only thing the Tower is used for in the Total Body workout is the pull ups and push ups? I am also curious about Kelly's nutrition plan. Never heard of the ABs Diet. Aveda is supposed to have hair color that is for sensitive skin...not sure what it contains however. I think you have to get it an Aveda salon, or maybe you can get it online. My head gets really itchy when the color is on, and it can be itchy on the top of my head between coloring as well. I always attributed it that to dry scalp.

Judy, I hope your back gets better with the therapy exercises etc. Have you had an MRI?

Valerie, good that you did that indoor weight work when your ride was not to be. :).

Carolyn, that sounds like a great premix. That is from the Low Impact Series? I don't recall that DVD for some reason.

Lori, your technical skills amaze me! I am happy to be able to play a Live workout using my phone and Chromecast. Right now they are still not working. The older ones will no longer play, but the new ones will! I have posted again in the LiVE forum....hopefully someone will reply this time.

Back to pick up more meds for Keegan. The tech said she could only dispense the smallest amount because it was not written in his record to give me the higher amount. ??? I spoke with the vet yesterday afternoon and he apologized for the mix up.

Take care,

I got my download code last night and was going to download, but it keeps telling me my code has expired :oops: Apparently customers that used Pay Pal express when ordering did not get their code when they ordered.

Deb, some of the band work like band pulls uses the tower, and you will be using it for the push ups at different levels, dips, lat pull downs, and things like that. You only use the bench with it for the first few exercises. I had a bit of problem with space with the step under the tower for some of the lower body that just used the end of the step while it was under the tower and had to stop and adjust. Bench press uses the tower as well. She does wrap the band around the tower for different exercises. I guess I should have specified more when I mentioned the band. I do think most of it could be done with tubing and a door anchor and the step without a tower, but maybe being in the position underneath may not always be as good. The door would be in the way. I did take not of this. I am thinking of ways to use the premixes and mix the different workouts together. I can see lots of options.
Oh, and yes, I just mix the nut butter into the collagen and eat it with a spoon. A bit of pure maple syrup or honey adds some extra yumminess and I don't need quite as much nut butter to get a decent consistency.
Edited to add that my head used to just be itchy only when I did the hair color. It has just become more sensitive. I think my skin and everything has become more sensitive to things. Maybe too many chemicals over the years? We have an Aveda salon I have went to to get my hair cut. I did read that someone went and had their hair colored at an Aveda salon and had been told their color was safe and did not have those chemicals, but they used a different color or something on her and she had to go to the emergency room. I am not sure what she meant by a different color.

Last edited:
I just read on Dr Axe that the Collagen powder should be refrigerated once open. I have been keeping mine in the cupboard. I think I may contact them and ask them about mixing the collagen types. I know vitamin C is supposed to help uptake of the collagen. That is one of the reasons I mix mine with the greens powder in the mornings.

Today I did KCM Cardio Quick Fix workout one. My workout time was 25 minutes with 190 calories burned. Average heart rate was 129 and maximum heart rate was 143. I like to do both workout one and two together but I didn't have enough time for that today.

The Cathe rotations help with remembering some of the older workouts. Total Body Trisets is one that I've done many times, but I probably would not have done it if it had not been on the rotation. Even when I don't want to follow the rotation, I like the reminders about what is in Cathe's huge library of workouts.

Deb, when I mix up my nut butter concoction I will sometimes roll it into small balls and put it in the refrigerator for a bit before I eat it. Other times I eat it with a spoon. I think it is good either way.

Valerie, yes it's Margaritaville in the IMAX 2 that is so motivating. The fact that it is at the end helps, but I really like that interval.

Hello to everyone. Enjoy your day.

I finally finished my workout. My grandson came in for the summer weigh in with my husband they had set up as away to keep their weight on target. They both did great and both are lifting weights and doing cardio now. My workout today was Fit Tower Advanced Bootcamp 51 minutes, 278 calories, heart rate average 115/ max 167. Next time I will try to figure out how to up the intensity a bit. I did put on ankle weights for some of the leg lifts. Since I felt I haven't done much in the way of cardio this week I did Kelly Coffey Amped Up Cardio workout 2, 30 minutes, 212 calories, heart rate avg. 131/ max 171. Total time was 81 minutes, calories burned 490. steps 4,670.

Carolyn, I like to do both of Kelly's workouts together on her 30 minutes to Fitness workouts. Particularly cardio. Awe, yes, I have rolled the nut butter stuff into balls too. I used to do those Malted Almond Bombs and Peanut Butter Muscle Bombs from the Muscle Chow Cookbook. I haven't done that in a long time. The recipes would probably be perfect for the collagen powder as well.

Diane Sue,

the bone broth collagen or just "Collagen Powder" needs to be refrigerated? I am checking my container now....I can't find anything regarding refrigeration on the container. BTW it is Type 2 chicken collagen.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was SB's LowerBody Barre 3, and tonight I did some SB's bounce and a short BBS bounce. Total workout time 60 mins / 357 cal. Looking at the Fit Tower Users Guide I am going to start the Fit Tower 30 Day Rotation next week. This will allow me to fit in my bounces and BBS Dances and SB's rotation I am currently trying to stick with!

Deb...I plan to do the Total Body workout tomorrow and will let you know how much I use the Tower. I felt it was used a lot in Boot Camp. After I did the workout I was glad that I had it. However, I think with modifications, one can easily do this workout without it. I hope you can get the streaming worked out. I have no idea why video editing and technology comes so easy to me. This is what my son went to school for too and he surpasses me by far. I like to think he got it from me. Glad you got Keegan's meds worked out.

Diane Sue...I used Paypal and did not get a code. I checked email and junk folder...and nothing. I use a different email for Paypal than what I do for Cathe.com so I even checked that and nothing. I emailed them within a couple of days of placing my order and saved the file. Hoping you get your code resolved. I used ankle weights for the Bootcamp and will do again. I also used the blue band and blue fireloop. This helped with intensity.

Carolyn...I like that you do the rotations too because you are reminding me of the older workouts!

Valerie...hope you had a great hike.

Judy...how is your lower back? Hoping better.

Have a great night all!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.