Fit Split Shred Cardio / Push Day

Attempted this workout today and was highly disappointed. The workout begins with brief 3 min 46 sec warm up on the step followed by a 22 min 41 sec Step Blasts. i will admit that I could not get through the warm-up. I have always found that Cathe's cue is a little off when it comes to her step routines. Oftentimes, she is already into the move before I know what going on. Like her other step routines, I felt as though I would miss the cue entirely and twist my ankle or some other unfortunate accident would occur. I have done other step routines from other instructors but Cathe's are just too dancy for my taste. I was so hoping that there would be no step routine involved in this series. After realizing that I was not going to be able to complete 22 minute step routine unscathed, I decided to go for the Pull Day premix only. To my horror, the warm-up was the same step warm up. I guess I will have to either do another cardio routine or just add the pull day premix as a stand alone workout. Soooo bummed right now. Cathe is still fabulous and I will continue to do her workouts.....just not on the step!

Update: Completed Mixed Impact Cardio /Pull Day today and thoroughly enjoyed it! While strolling through the premix options, I discovered that the Push Day only (along with warm-up and stretch) was included in the options. What excited me most was that the warm-up was the same warm-up from the Mixed Impact Cardio. So I can do the Mixed Impact Cardio warm-up and go directly into the push day workout.

I will admit I was a bit intimidated by the step, but plan to keep working at it. Enjoying the workouts thus far!

Last edited:
Attempted this workout today and was highly disappointed. The workout begins with brief 3 min 46 sec warm up on the step followed by a 22 min 41 sec Step Blasts. i will admit that I could not get through the warm-up. I have always found that Cathe's cue is a little off when it comes to her step routines. Oftentimes, she is already into the move before I know what going on. Like her other step routines, I felt as though I would miss the cue entirely and twist my ankle or some other unfortunate accident would occur. I have done other step routines from other instructors but Cathe's are just too dancy for my taste. I was so hoping that there would be no step routine involved in this series. After realizing that I was not going to be able to complete 22 minute step routine unscathed, I decided to go for the Pull Day premix only. To my horror, the warm-up was the same step warm up. I guess I will have to either do another cardio routine or just add the pull day premix as a stand alone workout. Soooo bummed right now. Cathe is still fabulous and I will continue to do her workouts.....just not on the step!

Why don't you just do the warm up on the floor? I think even the step blasts can be done without the step. It won't be as intense, but you would still get a good workout.

I am really sorry that you found this very simple step warm up too complex, but I would urge you to give it time before posting a negative review. I love step routines but can sympathize with those who find complex routines frustrating (e.g. Low Impact Challenge, Rhythmic Step, 4 Day Split High Impact Step, and Party Rockin Step 1), but this warm up is really quite simple, so please take your time. I feel sure if you have a small amount of patience, you will find it is no problem. I see no issues with cueing or any other barriers to being able to accomplish this warm up. Hope this is helpful!

I am really sorry that you found this very simple step warm up too complex, but I would urge you to give it time before posting a negative review. I love step routines but can sympathize with those who find complex routines frustrating (e.g. Low Impact Challenge, Rhythmic Step, 4 Day Split High Impact Step, and Party Rockin Step 1), but this warm up is really quite simple, so please take your time. I feel sure if you have a small amount of patience, you will find it is no problem. I see no issues with cueing or any other barriers to being able to accomplish this warm up. Hope this is helpful!

Carrie, thank you for the feedback. However, I don't view this as negative feedback...just my personal opinion. I too have all the dvd's you list e.g. Low Impact Challenge, Rhythmic Step, 4 Day Split High Impact Step, and Party Rockin Step 1. So believe me when I say I have tried them all. My personal opinion is in no way a reflection of Cathe's enormous talent. Her step routines are just not for me; and I am quite sure there are others who feel as I do. Likewise, I am sure there are others who, like yourself, enjoy her step routines. I'm sure a good business woman such as Cathe would appreciate ALL feedback, not just praise and accolades.

I was a little nervous to do this one after the 1st review and I am not one who loves step to begin with. I will do Cathe's step workouts and have all of them but they are just not what I grab first. I don't know why, but I have a dread factor with the step. I was happily surprised that I had the total opposite opinion of the first reviewer so I guess it really is a matter of opinion. I thought the warmup was as basic as it gets. I kept thinking wait for it, it's going to get "dancy" or "complicated", but for me it never did. It was all moves that Cathe has done before, totally do-able. Maybe some moves were put together differently but still nothing I've never done before. I will say that I did notice the pace was quicker from the start that you get right into the warmup immediately starting the DVD. And it really is cardio-intensive. It reminded me of RWH Plyo step workout. There may have been 1 or 2 blasts that I had to watch the first few seconds before jumping in just to know what it was but easily caught on. Cathe even showed a few modifications during different blasts. I'm glad that I gave it a chance because it's definitely a keeper for me (a non-step lover). I guess when I'm really pumped about a workout and I go on and on about how it's totally awesome there are probably a lot of people out there that don't agree. I felt the 1st review was negative and a little harsh considering Cathe is known for her step & her cuing being on point (which it totally is in this). I understand that it is frustrating when you don't like a particular workout as much as you had hoped and are disappointed. Maybe give it another chance in the future. Hopefully you will like the other ones in this series more. So far, the Kickboxing DVD is my favorite! And this one has no dread for me!

I did this work out yesterday and absolutely loved it! I usually dread step routines because I have a total knee replacement and sometime this year will get my other knee done. I do lower the step and use one riser (one per side). I also do not jump. Cathe had some easy modifications and I also make up my own. I thought the warm up was relatively easy. I must say I am enjoying this series very much! I loved the added band work for the pull days! The abs are tough but something for me to work towards. I don't quite have the pistol down yet.

Carrie, thank you for the feedback. However, I don't view this as negative feedback...just my personal opinion. I too have all the dvd's you list e.g. Low Impact Challenge, Rhythmic Step, 4 Day Split High Impact Step, and Party Rockin Step 1. So believe me when I say I have tried them all. My personal opinion is in no way a reflection of Cathe's enormous talent. Her step routines are just not for me; and I am quite sure there are others who feel as I do. Likewise, I am sure there are others who, like yourself, enjoy her step routines. I'm sure a good business woman such as Cathe would appreciate ALL feedback, not just praise and accolades.

Sorry for my poor choice of words: I should have said "before forming an opinion" instead of "before posting a negative review." I was trying to be encouraging but unfortunately did not have that effect. We all love Cathe but have our personal favorites, and that is as it should be. I just know there are times when I initially feel confused and mixed up by a routine, but if I give it multiple chances, something clicks and I get the wonderful "ah ha" moment that makes it all come together...and that is the good feeling I was trying to share. :)

The use of the step for step blast cardio, in Cathe's DVD library, is not the same as its use for a routine usually found in a steady state cardio DVD. My understanding is that shred cardio comprises step blasts so it will not be highly choreographed. Typically, I find step blasts no more complex to learn or more choreographed than cardio blasts done on the floor (kickbox combos being an exception, for obvious reasons). I can quite understand that we all find one or the other of these two formats slightly easier to perform, and ease always produces a preference. I remain grateful and happy that Cathe chooses to continue including the step in her cardio sections: variety is always appreciated, by the mind and body.

Personally, I adore cardio blasts done on and off the step and could do it all day long, whereas floor cardio is much more difficult for me. But, Cathe always tells me that it is the things I find hard that I need to do more of and prioritize in my training so I persevere!

I'm looking forward to Shred Cardio because I way prefer RWH Plyo #2 to plyo #1!

Also, I thought Carrie expressed her responses with the utmost empathy, gentleness and kindness and in no way needs to be apologetic. It's OK to disagree. And yes, we all experience these workouts differently.

Clare

I just finished the Push Day pre-mix. I loved the warm up. It was quick but I did not get frustrated with it. It is definitely not dancey. I have not done any step in awhile so it was a good way to easy back into it.

The Push workout was challenging, as expected. I may regret doing Pull and Push on back to back days tomorrow. The calf segment at the end was tough. I have weak calves and have had calf problems, so I know I need the work.

I am loving these workouts. I have been away from videos so I am loving jumping in with this new series.

Linda

I just finished the Push Day pre-mix. I loved the warm up. It was quick but I did not get frustrated with it. It is definitely not dancey. I have not done any step in awhile so it was a good way to easy back into it.

The Push workout was challenging, as expected. I may regret doing Pull and Push on back to back days tomorrow. The calf segment at the end was tough. I have weak calves and have had calf problems, so I know I need the work.

I am loving these workouts. I have been away from videos so I am loving jumping in with this new series.

Linda

I’m doing Push tomorrow. I’ve split my training sessions up for Jan: Push, Cardio, Pull, rest. Repeat.

I did Shred Cardio / Push Day today. My second of the four in the Fit Split series (see my post "Low Impact Cardio & Metabolic Conditioning Review / Thoughts" if interested). I did not find Low Impact Cardio & Metabolic Conditioning challenging enough for me - more intermediate than advanced in my opinion. In response, some posts mentioned trying Shred Cardio because it's "tough" and "a killer", "like PLYO HIIT One". I am going to have to respectfully disagree that it is as tough as Plyo Hiit One. ;)I love a cardio challenge so when Cathe markets a video as advanced I am hoping that when I first do it, I cannot, or I can barely, finish it. That way, I always have an improvement goal. If I pause a workout (talking cardio here) for even 15 seconds I do not consider that "getting through it without stopping". In Shred Cardio, I got through all 12 blasts without issue and no pausing/stopping, and I could have done some of the blasts for a longer time/more sets.

As an example, PLYO HIIT ONE STILL challenges me. I have yet to finish that darn workout without a pause in between the wide burpees (the 11th exercise I believe out of 14). Cathe finishes the first set of wide burpees around the 16:42 mark and she starts the second set at around 17:02 - so about a 20 second break in between. My breathing/heart rate is so high at this point that I usually take an additional 30-40 seconds (so close to a minute break). Every time I do that workout, I go into it all pumped saying "today, you are not going to pause this workout at all." Then I get to that darn spot again in the video and pause, lol! Although I have actually greatly improved with PLYO HIIT ONE because I use to have multiple pauses and pauses earlier in the program. Anyway, it is those type of videos that I consider truly, truly advanced.

There is a reviewer on the board that has completed all of the Fit Split videos and she rates them as a bit harder than the ICE series (intermediate). I can agree with that so far. Perhaps even on the low end of advanced. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being easy cardio and 10 being hard cardio, I put Low Impact Cardio at maybe around a 5. Shred Cardio a 7. PLYO HIIT TWO (step) a 8.5. PLYO HITT ONE (floor) a 10!! I also consider To The Max and Cross Fire (especially with including all the bonus sections) to be very challenging. Tabatacise (all five) is a good tough one too. And when I group multiple segments together (especially including the step segment), X10 packs a solid cardio challenge too. Cardio Core Circuit is difficult too (particularly Round 4) and Afterburn is tough too but not *as much* as it use to be to me.

I DO understand though that the cardio in the Fit Split series probably has to be taken down a notch in order to have enough energy to complete the weights segment with good form. So, when the segments are combined, I do feel like I had a good, comprehensive workout doing Shred Cardio with Push Day. However, I do not find the Shred Cardio portion itself "enough" to call it a day when I am short on time. Meaning, when I am very short on time and want to pack as much punch as possible in the shortest amount of time, PLYO HIIT ONE wins every time. My next choice would probably be various X10 premixes.

As to the Push Day part, I did find that challenging. I dropped down on the second set of bench presses from 25 to 20. I also found the shoulder routine at Cathe's weight very challenging and dropped down the goal post presses from 12 to 10, and even then I was starting to lose my form by the third set. Yea!! -- that means I have room to grow and improve! :) Just how I like it. ;)

I tried Shred cardio and really enjoyed it!!!! Tough even if more merciful than PlyoHiit 2 (to me, the hardest ever: the firts two rounds are killer, then I can stick with rest of it ).In this one you have some more "gentle" blasts, but as two risers are a challenge to me I felt I worked hard. I think my next goal would be the double it premix, which I think would be a very good goal to reach for me! I am already in love with this one as it is easy to follow, time flies by, at the end I was breathless and legs felt like jelly for a few seconds : I felt I accomplished a good job in a small amount of time:):)

I agree with everything you said Cherrypie10. Every comparison is same as my thoughts and every single one you mentioned are the ones that are still the toughest workouts for me also & would probably pick one of those if I wanted to hit it really hard. Although I would have to say that for me, the hamstring work in the FitSplit Mixed Impact/Pull day burns my hammies like no other.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.