Fit Split Shred Cardio / Push Day

I was a little nervous to do this one after the 1st review and I am not one who loves step to begin with. I will do Cathe's step workouts and have all of them but they are just not what I grab first. I don't know why, but I have a dread factor with the step. I was happily surprised that I had the total opposite opinion of the first reviewer so I guess it really is a matter of opinion. I thought the warmup was as basic as it gets. I kept thinking wait for it, it's going to get "dancy" or "complicated", but for me it never did. It was all moves that Cathe has done before, totally do-able. Maybe some moves were put together differently but still nothing I've never done before. I will say that I did notice the pace was quicker from the start that you get right into the warmup immediately starting the DVD. And it really is cardio-intensive. It reminded me of RWH Plyo step workout. There may have been 1 or 2 blasts that I had to watch the first few seconds before jumping in just to know what it was but easily caught on. Cathe even showed a few modifications during different blasts. I'm glad that I gave it a chance because it's definitely a keeper for me (a non-step lover). I guess when I'm really pumped about a workout and I go on and on about how it's totally awesome there are probably a lot of people out there that don't agree. I felt the 1st review was negative and a little harsh considering Cathe is known for her step & her cuing being on point (which it totally is in this). I understand that it is frustrating when you don't like a particular workout as much as you had hoped and are disappointed. Maybe give it another chance in the future. Hopefully you will like the other ones in this series more. So far, the Kickboxing DVD is my favorite! And this one has no dread for me!

So glad to hear you enjoyed it.

I did Shred Cardio / Push Day today. My second of the four in the Fit Split series (see my post "Low Impact Cardio & Metabolic Conditioning Review / Thoughts" if interested). I did not find Low Impact Cardio & Metabolic Conditioning challenging enough for me - more intermediate than advanced in my opinion. In response, some posts mentioned trying Shred Cardio because it's "tough" and "a killer", "like PLYO HIIT One". I am going to have to respectfully disagree that it is as tough as Plyo Hiit One. ;)I love a cardio challenge so when Cathe markets a video as advanced I am hoping that when I first do it, I cannot, or I can barely, finish it. That way, I always have an improvement goal. If I pause a workout (talking cardio here) for even 15 seconds I do not consider that "getting through it without stopping". In Shred Cardio, I got through all 12 blasts without issue and no pausing/stopping, and I could have done some of the blasts for a longer time/more sets.

As an example, PLYO HIIT ONE STILL challenges me. I have yet to finish that darn workout without a pause in between the wide burpees (the 11th exercise I believe out of 14). Cathe finishes the first set of wide burpees around the 16:42 mark and she starts the second set at around 17:02 - so about a 20 second break in between. My breathing/heart rate is so high at this point that I usually take an additional 30-40 seconds (so close to a minute break). Every time I do that workout, I go into it all pumped saying "today, you are not going to pause this workout at all." Then I get to that darn spot again in the video and pause, lol! Although I have actually greatly improved with PLYO HIIT ONE because I use to have multiple pauses and pauses earlier in the program. Anyway, it is those type of videos that I consider truly, truly advanced.

There is a reviewer on the board that has completed all of the Fit Split videos and she rates them as a bit harder than the ICE series (intermediate). I can agree with that so far. Perhaps even on the low end of advanced. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being easy cardio and 10 being hard cardio, I put Low Impact Cardio at maybe around a 5. Shred Cardio a 7. PLYO HIIT TWO (step) a 8.5. PLYO HITT ONE (floor) a 10!! I also consider To The Max and Cross Fire (especially with including all the bonus sections) to be very challenging. Tabatacise (all five) is a good tough one too. And when I group multiple segments together (especially including the step segment), X10 packs a solid cardio challenge too. Cardio Core Circuit is difficult too (particularly Round 4) and Afterburn is tough too but not *as much* as it use to be to me.

I DO understand though that the cardio in the Fit Split series probably has to be taken down a notch in order to have enough energy to complete the weights segment with good form. So, when the segments are combined, I do feel like I had a good, comprehensive workout doing Shred Cardio with Push Day. However, I do not find the Shred Cardio portion itself "enough" to call it a day when I am short on time. Meaning, when I am very short on time and want to pack as much punch as possible in the shortest amount of time, PLYO HIIT ONE wins every time. My next choice would probably be various X10 premixes.

As to the Push Day part, I did find that challenging. I dropped down on the second set of bench presses from 25 to 20. I also found the shoulder routine at Cathe's weight very challenging and dropped down the goal post presses from 12 to 10, and even then I was starting to lose my form by the third set. Yea!! -- that means I have room to grow and improve! :) Just how I like it. ;)

Thanks for your thorough feedback Cherrypie10. I totally hear what your saying and respect and value your feedback. The only thing I wanted to say for clarification is the cardio segments of the Fit Split series was not designed to be a collection of solid hit workouts, as the Ripped with Hiit series was, so they really can’t be compared that way for intensity. Only Shred cardio was listed to be “hiit” like.

I’m glad that you are enjoying the weight segments and that you are finding the Fit Split series to be a nice challenge for you when done in their entirety.

Stay tuned for a rotation that will be coming in the users guide that combines Ripped w/Hiit and the Fit Split series together... this will be a challenge that you will enjoy for sure .

Attempted this workout today and was highly disappointed. The workout begins with brief 3 min 46 sec warm up on the step followed by a 22 min 41 sec Step Blasts. i will admit that I could not get through the warm-up. I have always found that Cathe's cue is a little off when it comes to her step routines. Oftentimes, she is already into the move before I know what going on. Like her other step routines, I felt as though I would miss the cue entirely and twist my ankle or some other unfortunate accident would occur. I have done other step routines from other instructors but Cathe's are just too dancy for my taste. I was so hoping that there would be no step routine involved in this series. After realizing that I was not going to be able to complete 22 minute step routine unscathed, I decided to go for the Pull Day premix only. To my horror, the warm-up was the same step warm up. I guess I will have to either do another cardio routine or just add the pull day premix as a stand alone workout. Soooo bummed right now. Cathe is still fabulous and I will continue to do her workouts.....just not on the step!

Update: Completed Mixed Impact Cardio /Pull Day today and thoroughly enjoyed it! While strolling through the premix options, I discovered that the Push Day only (along with warm-up and stretch) was included in the options. What excited me most was that the warm-up was the same warm-up from the Mixed Impact Cardio. So I can do the Mixed Impact Cardio warm-up and go directly into the push day workout.

I will admit I was a bit intimidated by the step, but plan to keep working at it. Enjoying the workouts thus far!

I’m glad you gave it some more time. Sometimes things don’t click with us at first but the key is to not give up but rather give it a rest and then attempt it again. Enjoy your workouts.

Attempted this workout today and was highly disappointed. The workout begins with brief 3 min 46 sec warm up on the step followed by a 22 min 41 sec Step Blasts. i will admit that I could not get through the warm-up. I have always found that Cathe's cue is a little off when it comes to her step routines. Oftentimes, she is already into the move before I know what going on. Like her other step routines, I felt as though I would miss the cue entirely and twist my ankle or some other unfortunate accident would occur. I have done other step routines from other instructors but Cathe's are just too dancy for my taste. I was so hoping that there would be no step routine involved in this series. After realizing that I was not going to be able to complete 22 minute step routine unscathed, I decided to go for the Pull Day premix only. To my horror, the warm-up was the same step warm up. I guess I will have to either do another cardio routine or just add the pull day premix as a stand alone workout. Soooo bummed right now. Cathe is still fabulous and I will continue to do her workouts.....just not on the step!

Update: Completed Mixed Impact Cardio /Pull Day today and thoroughly enjoyed it! While strolling through the premix options, I discovered that the Push Day only (along with warm-up and stretch) was included in the options. What excited me most was that the warm-up was the same warm-up from the Mixed Impact Cardio. So I can do the Mixed Impact Cardio warm-up and go directly into the push day workout.

I will admit I was a bit intimidated by the step, but plan to keep working at it. Enjoying the workouts thus far!

I have two left feet and find some step routines confusing. I do the routine on the floor without the step a few times. As my comfort and confidence with the routine increases, I move on to the step. Just the board at first for a few sessions. Then I add one riser to each side, practice, and keep adding risers until I have the same number of risers that Cathe uses. By then, I’ve mastered the routine. Baby steps for me.

Last edited:
Did shred cardio today and loved it. But I love everything Cathe does. I agree nothing compares to plyo hit 1 for intensity in such a short amount of time. But it has such a high dread factor for me that I come up with excuses not to do it. And unlike plyo hit 2, I feel the exercises in Shred Cardio are safer. I can't jump up on the step sideways using 2 risers so quickly. That said this workout really winded me. I'm glad it wasn't any longer because the weight work was tough. And I usually lift much lighter than Cathe. I'm feeling a nice soreness in my whole body.

LOVED this one!! I got a bit nervous though when I was about 1 minute into the warm up, it's fast-paced and I was breathing!! Since I've read some reviews that compared this with RWH Plyo hiit 2 I knew I'd love it! Love it in different ways...like the music a bit more in RWH but it's not a factor. Fun factor and goes fast! I may add a 3rd riser like I do with RWH ply 2 on my good days! Cathe and her crew look so great as always, and loving the workout clothes!!

LOVED this one!! I got a bit nervous though when I was about 1 minute into the warm up, it's fast-paced and I was breathing!! Since I've read some reviews that compared this with RWH Plyo hiit 2 I knew I'd love it! Love it in different ways...like the music a bit more in RWH but it's not a factor. Fun factor and goes fast! I may add a 3rd riser like I do with RWH ply 2 on my good days! Cathe and her crew look so great as always, and loving the workout clothes!!

I love the her workout clothes, too! I've been all over pinterest and the internet trying to find them!

Oooh I can't wait for the RWH and Fit Split rotation! So stoked. I was pleasantly surprised with cardio shred and push day. It will balance nicely with ripped :)
Jamie

Hi all!

I tackled Shred Cardio- Just Cardio today and it was a little challenging. I know there is almost always a learning curve with new workouts. I did find myself feeling a little frustrated but pushed on. I think I would suggest if it bothers people feeling like you are going to sprain an ankle or something try it with either 1 riser each side or do it with no risers and just the long step top. I will likely reserve judgement until I have tried it at least 1 or two more times then modify with 1 riser if necessary. The step sequences were not anything new we have seen and done these before just not put together like this. I think this did feel to me more like Ripped w/Hiit Plyo 1 or 2 in terms of intensity very HiiT like in intensity but fun and very fun and doable after a few more attempts under my belt. I like it just need more practice to feel compfortable. As to the comment about being shocked at step as warm up the Just Push Day only, yes that surprised me. I would suggest doing a warm up from Ripped w/Hiit Lift it or Gym Styles before hand if that is more to your liking. Fit Split is new so it will be different which keeps it all fresh and fun, I guess don't be afraid to modify to make it work for you. I did Boxing Boot Camp the other day just Kickboxing mix and loved it, big praise love it!:cool::D

Have fun,

Nora

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.