Your Opinion: Cathe's Best Lower Body Workout?

tralaiven

Cathlete
Hi, I am doing a rotation that someone posted (I forget who) that is working really well for me. Wednesdays call for a Lower Body Workout.

I am interested in your opinion(s). Which Lower Body workout is your favorite and why?

As you are advising me, please keep in mind that I DO NOT like lower body floor work and will avoid it at (almost) all costs. I am a standing leg work girl!

Thanks so much!

Here's the rotation I am doing:

Monday: Total Body Weights (usually STS Total Body)
Tuesday: Metabolic workout (Crossfire type workouts)
Wednesday: Lower body
Thursday: Metabolic Workout
Friday: Off
Saturday: Total Body Weights
Sunday: My choice cardio or metabolic

Hi Tracy,

I have deliberately refrained myself from replying hoping somebody would share her opinion on
this sensitive topic;). I truly can not believe no one has replied!

Taking my emotions a side here is my answer, sticking to the question:):)

I like plyo and contrast training as first preference working my legs.
Why because I get to do both strengthening and cardio. I do not struggle to keep a healthy
weight at all:oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:. I need both cardio and weight to achieve what I want for my both health
and aesthetics. Cardio --- I like the feeling of being able to climb up stairs, hills etc...without being out of breath!!

So here are my preferences: lower body blast LBB, CLB and CLBB --- from RwH
I also like plyos - STS discs. Kickboxing cardio work my legs in a different way and I like it:)

I need solid weight lifting too mixing light and heavy or relatively heavier!

Hope I have answered your question.

ETA: This generic rotation look really good to cause a metabolic and fat burning response. Just my opinion, Presuming Total body is a solid weight lifting session

Last edited:
Hi tracy i am doing this rotation as well at the moment getting good results i have been doing xtrain cardio leg blast, drill max lower body premix, legs and glutes, great glutes - i enjoy most leg workouts

I too really like contrast training - STS' Plyo Legs from Meso 3, XTrain's Cardio Leg Blast, RwH's Lift it Hit it Legs and ICE's Chiseled Lower Body Blast - these are my 'go to' lower body workouts, especially when I am not doing any other cardio that day. I feel this technique is just the best for activating those muscle fibres ...well rounded leg work that does it all and works me the hardest. And I like that fairly heavy weight loads are often used. No mat work with these workouts, so they may appeal to you too!

But I definitely switch things up and also fit in solid weighted lower body workouts on some lower body days - STS Meso 3 (using a barbell and weighted vest), Meso 2 (can you tell I'm an STS fan!), Slow and Heavy Legs (whoa! not easy!), 4DS (kickbox and legs), Gym Style Legs, Legs and Glutes, XTrain's Legs or Butts and Guts.

Then, once in a while (especially if I'm not up for picking up those 20 pounders!), I will do a higher rep, endurance based program such as Turbo Barre, the barre section from Lean Legs and Abs or STS Meso 1 disks. And fitting in those compound exercises and those slowly executed 'time under tension' moves found in Great Glutes are a super complement for other days. I like to do it all over the course of a rotation, but what you prefer may depend on your goals. If you want fat burning for example, Lean Legs and Abs and the contrast training disks are top on my list! But if you want to build some muscle mass in those muscles, STS is on the top of my list. But hard to pick just one program - so many great ones and I love the variety Cathe provides for us!

I don't own Lower Body Blast. Thanks for mentioning it Nathalie. I've added it to my 'Wish List'! Looks good.

XTrain Cardio Leg Blast (if you just want to do the leg portions there is a premix for that!), XTrain Legs (just the standing portion), and Turbo Barre pop to mind, along with Lean Legs & Abs and Great Glutes. I personally like doing the standing XTrain Legs because it's only about a half hour... i.e. not TOO long for those of us who aren't fans of leg work (*cough* that includes me LOL!)! :)

Yes contrast training is "da bomb" lol! I love the RWH lower body workouts, as well as the ICE chiseled lower body - i increase the weights to make it advanced for me and add the blizzard blast; and outside Cathe's leg workouts I also love Booty Extreme 2 -hardest leg/ glute workouts I've ever done but great results; and Amy Bento's Slo-Mo is a great heavy weight only (no cardio) workout.
Jamie

Glad to see you back Jane:)

...I have been away hiking in the Canadian Rocky Mountains for a few weeks. Just wonderful! I REALLY found that the routine I share with all you Cathletes of working out with weights and doing interval training, intensive steady state cardio and regular stretching made ALL the difference!! I was hiking with family members who are active every day (walking, gardening, biking around town, swimming, skating and other moderate intensity activities). Despite the fact that we all work out the same number of hours per week (about one hour per day), they were all huffing and puffing and had soreness for days. It was amazing to see that ONLY doing moderate intensity workouts just doesn't cut it! Thanks to the intensity and well balanced, comprehensive approach of Cathe's programs I could fully and truly enjoy each and every beautiful hike and mountain top vista, day after day. Cathe ensures the time we spend being active is super effective and efficient. Those lower body weight days all paid off!

Hi Tracy,

I have deliberately refrained myself from replying hoping somebody would share her opinion on
this sensitive topic;). I truly can not believe no one has replied!

Taking my emotions a side here is my answer, sticking to the question:):)

I like plyo and contrast training as first preference working my legs.
Why because I get to do both strengthening and cardio. I do not struggle to keep a healthy
weight at all:oops::rolleyes::rolleyes:. I need both cardio and weight to achieve what I want for my both health
and aesthetics. Cardio --- I like the feeling of being able to climb up stairs, hills etc...without being out of breath!!

So here are my preferences: lower body blast LBB, CLB and CLBB --- from RwH
I also like plyos - STS discs. Kickboxing cardio work my legs in a different way and I like it:)

I need solid weight lifting too mixing light and heavy or relatively heavier!

Hope I have answered your question.

ETA: This generic rotation look really good to cause a metabolic and fat burning response. Just my opinion, Presuming Total body is a solid weight lifting session

Thanks for answering Nathalie! Your posts are always interesting, balanced, informative and gracious!

The Total body is a solid weight lifting session. I have had RWH since it was first sent out, since I pre-ordered it. However, for some reason, I thought I had done the Lower Body Circuit...but I started another program (not Cathe) at the beginning of 2015 and I guess I never did do the Lower Body Circuit from RWH. I did it today for my Lower body workout and WOW! It was good and tough. I think it is one of my new favorites! I am actually looking forward to doing it again in a few days.

Hi tracy i am doing this rotation as well at the moment getting good results i have been doing xtrain cardio leg blast, drill max lower body premix, legs and glutes, great glutes - i enjoy most leg workouts

OOOO thanks for the idea of Drill Max Lower Body premix. I had never even considered that one! I have just about ALL of Cathe's dvds...but sometimes...a person has so many you just forget what you have!!! (even though they are QUITE well organized according to the year they were released...I can't help myself!)

I too really like contrast training - STS' Plyo Legs from Meso 3, XTrain's Cardio Leg Blast, RwH's Lift it Hit it Legs and ICE's Chiseled Lower Body Blast - these are my 'go to' lower body workouts, especially when I am not doing any other cardio that day. I feel this technique is just the best for activating those muscle fibres ...well rounded leg work that does it all and works me the hardest. And I like that fairly heavy weight loads are often used. No mat work with these workouts, so they may appeal to you too!

But I definitely switch things up and also fit in solid weighted lower body workouts on some lower body days - STS Meso 3 (using a barbell and weighted vest), Meso 2 (can you tell I'm an STS fan!), Slow and Heavy Legs (whoa! not easy!), 4DS (kickbox and legs), Gym Style Legs, Legs and Glutes, XTrain's Legs or Butts and Guts.

Then, once in a while (especially if I'm not up for picking up those 20 pounders!), I will do a higher rep, endurance based program such as Turbo Barre, the barre section from Lean Legs and Abs or STS Meso 1 disks. And fitting in those compound exercises and those slowly executed 'time under tension' moves found in Great Glutes are a super complement for other days. I like to do it all over the course of a rotation, but what you prefer may depend on your goals. If you want fat burning for example, Lean Legs and Abs and the contrast training disks are top on my list! But if you want to build some muscle mass in those muscles, STS is on the top of my list. But hard to pick just one program - so many great ones and I love the variety Cathe provides for us!

I don't own Lower Body Blast. Thanks for mentioning it Nathalie. I've added it to my 'Wish List'! Looks good.

Thanks for all the great input. XT Cardio Leg Blast is one of my absolute favorites that I will reach for when I am not sure what to do. It's been a while since I have done 4DS Kickbox and Legs...I will keep that one in mind. I will be referencing your post again!

Yes contrast training is "da bomb" lol! I love the RWH lower body workouts, as well as the ICE chiseled lower body - i increase the weights to make it advanced for me and add the blizzard blast; and outside Cathe's leg workouts I also love Booty Extreme 2 -hardest leg/ glute workouts I've ever done but great results; and Amy Bento's Slo-Mo is a great heavy weight only (no cardio) workout.
Jamie

Thanks for your reply Jamie. I think I will try the ICE chiseled Lower Body with the blast in future. Also, I don't have Amy Bento's Slo-Mo, but I will definitely check it out. I love heavy weights DVDs.

I did it today for my Lower body workout and WOW! It was good and tough. I think it is one of my new favorites! I am actually looking forward to doing it again in a few days.

Yes this one is tough! It does pound my leg big time in a good way. It's fast and furious!
Everytime I do it, I love doing a long leg stretch later on during the day,It is a bliss. Pure gem!:)

Thanks for answering Nathalie! Your posts are always interesting, balanced, informative and gracious!

You are welcome Tracy. As cathe says, We are in this together:);)
Take care:)

I was hiking with family members who are active every day (walking, gardening, biking around town, swimming, skating and other moderate intensity activities). Despite the fact that we all work out the same number of hours per week (about one hour per day), they were all huffing and puffing and had soreness for days. It was amazing to see that ONLY doing moderate intensity workouts just doesn't cut it! Thanks to the intensity and well balanced, comprehensive approach of Cathe's programs I could fully and truly enjoy each and every beautiful hike and mountain top vista, day after day. Cathe ensures the time we spend being active is super effective and efficient. Those lower body weight days all paid off!

This highlighted above goes to show we are training the best way --- Smart way. Thanks for sharing:)
I see it on daily basis too with my fiance. We work standing all day performing a physical work.
He is astonished when He sees me climbing 3 floor building quickly and open the flat/appartment door without gasping
for air. I told him he need to workout!

Hiking while viewing beautiful scenery breathing pure air is great. It is something I haven't done for many years.
Glad you had a great time:):)

I downloaded this some time ago. The music drives me crazy but its a good workout.

Thanks Cafelatte! I actually found this and was pleasantly surprised and excited that the whole of it was on youtube! I am not that great on computers...how do you download it????

I think I might do her Slo Mo Chest, Bi's & Tri's later today since I only did cardio in a 4 1/2 mile walk this morning (my day off, why not?), just to get a feel for it.

Thanks again.

Hi!

What a great question and love reading what everyone's thought are. If you don't like floor work, the Leaner Legs and Abs from the Cross Train series is really good. It's all standing and gives one area rest while another is working, which makes it about 35 minutes of leg work and then 10 minutes of abs. It's one of my favorites.

On another note, I came to the forums today to read and get inspired to work out and am off to do a fun ICE routine. So thank you all!

Beth

Thanks Cafelatte! I actually found this and was pleasantly surprised and excited that the whole of it was on youtube! I am not that great on computers...how do you download it????

I think I might do her Slo Mo Chest, Bi's & Tri's later today since I only did cardio in a 4 1/2 mile walk this morning (my day off, why not?), just to get a feel for it.

Thanks again.

there are different programs all are free but I prefer freemake
http://www.freemake.com/

once you download the program all you do is bring up the youtube video you want to download, paste and copy into freemake, choose outcome you want to choose mp4 to keep as computer file or you can download to a dvd

Also, just note that Amy will be releasing a new step workout in Late Sept & will also be selling all of her workouts via download.
I love her Slo Mo, however I do find a couple of lower body moves aren't ergonomically ideal, IMO.

I still feel Cathe makes the best and most diverse lower body workouts in the industry. I feel lucky to have so many to pick & choose from. My personal faves are LIS Tri-Sets (excellent booty (and pure strength) results here!) & Legs & Glutes. I find anything using the glide discs very effective in shaping the legs & calves, plus it offers up some variety to fight any boredom. While I love doing heavy deadlifts (+ all of it's variations) & squats, I think I'd probably get bored with just those. lol.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.