Thank you, Cathe, for Lean Legs & Abs

nyc_chick

I just wanted to personally say a big thanks for this workout. I know it has gotten a bit of lukewarm reviews, but focusing on the front of the leg and outer thigh has been a blessing for me. My legs are far more toned in the back, (hamstrings & butt), but the front is mushy. I know many women have the opposite where the quads look smooth but the back of the leg is not so toned. I have been so frustrated that too many leg videos marketed to women focus on hamstrings and buttocks. I use LL&A in conjunction with Great Glutes (GG rocks, btw), and I'm getting nice results. A big virtual hug, Cathe. Please don't shy away from doing future videos where the focus is quad/outer thigh. :D

I second that. I love these 2 new workouts, but like you, I also needed more work on my quads. I also like that sometimes I follow Cathe and sometimes I don't and use heavier weights. I love that these workouts are so versatile. I find that they work really well with the XTRAIN series. But for the last week, I've been focused on the Nov. rotation and I have to say, I miss these 2 lower body workouts. I think I might change the rotation a bit and add them in a few times instead of just once. Cathe, I would also like to give you a big hug for these amazing workouts and all of your dvd's. Keep up the great work.

Kim

Last edited:
Here, here, Kim! I also don't go heavy at times when it comes to my leg training. My body does respond to the compound exercises where lighter weights are involved. The heavy weight workouts are great, too, but I do enjoy the compound exercises as well.

I'm not doing the November rotation. I didn't want part from LL&A/GG for this month! ;) However, I will switch up the routine once Cathe posts the next rotation. :)

I REALLY like these workouts and the whole series for that matter. I have shorter and thicker legs and this series has definitely helped me streamline the thigh area. My pants and jeans are fitting more loosely each day. I am seriously considering staying with these types of lower body workouts to avoid the bulk in this area. This is NOT to say that they are easier! I actually add one segment of X10 to the LLG workout and I am fried by the end. Love it. Cathe you are brilliant in the way you design programs!!!

I really love LL&A and it's done wonderful things for my strength/definition in my quads. My legs are now almost as defined/strong as Amanda's, which is remarkable given my advanced age (months aways from turning 51). I hope there is a follow up to this one. If you do the entire workout---adding the barre segment---it really fries the quads. For me, this workout is proof that heavy weight is not always necessary to get results & strength gains.

I've actually seen better quad definition from LL&A than I had from STS Squat Rack (and I went heavy on that one). It might be due to the fact the LL&A really isolates the quad muscles. Don't get me wrong, I love STS Squat Rack and greedily want a follow up to that one as well.

The variety that Cathe offers is the key.

I had bulked up in my legs when I did the original Rock Bottoms Rotation. And I'm really liking the results from the October rotation, so I took a stab at my own rotation for November. It is a combo of October 2013 and November 2011 (LIS - also good results) to continue the focus on my lower body.

Maybe my reward will be a new pair of jeans!!

Lisa

Swimmer - I think you've hit the nail on the head - no-one offers as much variety as Cathe. And certainly no-one does so much so well.
Lisa - having had a similar experience with Rock Bottoms, and hearing such good things about the Oct rotation, I've embarked on it (alongside STS Meso3 - they fit together surprisingly well). I'd love to see your Oct 13 Nov 11 combo, if you'd share - I'm looking for a rotation for when I've finished STS.
Many thanks
Justine

I don't mind sharing Justine. Here you go! Sorry about the formatting; I don't have this in the workout blender.

Week 1 Workout Time
Monday Cardio Leg Blast 56
Tuesday Athletic Training 56
Wednesday Cardio Supersets + X10 (1 segment) 60
Thursday Upper Body Trisets 56
Friday Great Glutes P1 63
Saturday Pedal Power 58
Sunday Rest or Yoga

Week 2 Workout Time
Monday Lower Body Blast 59
Tuesday Supercuts 46
Wednesday All Out Low Impact Hiit + X10 (1 segment) 60
Thursday Burn Sets 80
Friday Lean Legs & Abs P1 62
Saturday Ride 57
Sunday Rest or Yoga

Week 3 Workout Time
Monday Legs 52
Tuesday After Burn 54
Wednesday Party Rockin Step 2 52
Thursday Flex Train 56
Friday Lower Body Trisets + X10 (1 segment) 55
Saturday Cycle Max 56
Sunday Rest or Yoga

Week 4 Workout Time
Monday Lower Body Blast 59
Tuesday To The Max 54
Wednesday Slide ‘n Glide + X10 (1 segment) 60
Thursday Upper Body Trisets 56
Friday Turbo Barre 74
Saturday Pedal Power 58
Sunday Rest or Yoga

Thank you so much for that. It looks amazing. I'll create a rotation so that I can put it in workout manager for january.
Justine x

This is rapidly becoming my favorite add on. I love the compound leg segment. I use it as a cardio core add-on to other workouts. Lately, I want to add it to every cardio workout I do.

Using a light weight makes the compound leg segment a combination of upper and lower body moves. Picking the right weight to engage the core changes the feel completely. They become true compound moves that force the brain and all the core muscles to work synergistically to control the weight at the tempo used for these moves. It makes me wish dumbbells came in 1 lb increment up to 20 lbs. I have adjustable bars but would so much prefer a solid dumbbell. I plan on doing the compound leg segment 2x at the end of my cardio workouts twice a week for the next 8 weeks until I can comfortably increase the weights I'm using. Yesterday, I did 4 segments from Drill Max and the compound leg segment 2x (a total of about 80 min). By the end, my whole body turned to jello. I take 5 more like this one please!

I did LL&A this morning for the 1st time. I love the workout! I was sweating like it was hot summer day (its definitely NOT ;=)), and said a few ouches! Definitely a winner and sure to become a favorite!

I also love that it won't be hard to increase the intensity as I get stronger, can add leg weights as well as heavier hand weights.

Looking forward to doing Great Glutes Saturday.

This is rapidly becoming my favorite add on. I love the compound leg segment. I use it as a cardio core add-on to other workouts. Lately, I want to add it to every cardio workout I do.

Using a light weight makes the compound leg segment a combination of upper and lower body moves. Picking the right weight to engage the core changes the feel completely. They become true compound moves that force the brain and all the core muscles to work synergistically to control the weight at the tempo used for these moves. It makes me wish dumbbells came in 1 lb increment up to 20 lbs. I have adjustable bars but would so much prefer a solid dumbbell. I plan on doing the compound leg segment 2x at the end of my cardio workouts twice a week for the next 8 weeks until I can comfortably increase the weights I'm using. Yesterday, I did 4 segments from Drill Max and the compound leg segment 2x (a total of about 80 min). By the end, my whole body turned to jello. I take 5 more like this one please!

could not agree more on what has been mentioned above. Don't let the name Lean leg and abs fool you! It is a compound. I love the way it work core stabilizer hitting upper core muscles. I do get completely soaked in the end and usually feel an afterburn effect the day after. Another one of these cathe's compound is High Step training. It's an old but surely .GOODIE. Those who have done it have possibly asked themselves how many step ups we have to do:eek::eek: lol:D:D. I love the way cathe chaptered this work out. My legs were fried and overall body was worked:D:D
Honestly all muscles were hit:cool::cool:

Last edited:
I had not paid any attention to the lukewarm reviews, or noticed if there were any. However, I just did this one for the first time, even though I have had it since it first came out... I really enjoyed it and thought it was a great one. I thoroughly loved the compound weighted moves, those are really my favorite, harkening back to old FIRM days!

Thank you! It is exactly like classic Firm vids, especially Volumes 1 & 2 with Susan Harris and Janet Jones-Gretzky. :D

I pre-ordered LL&A and have had it for months, but just did it for the first time this morning. I was going to do the 61 min premix of compound legs, chair/band, barre, and abs, but I loved the compound legs segment SO SO SO much that I made my own premix! I did the w/up, compound legs segment twice, chair/band, abs, and stretch. Holy smokes those side leg lefts with the band (I used my green band) are killer! I agree with Cedie when Cathe asked her how many reps we went through on the first side and Cedie said "a lot!"

As has already been said, thank you Cathe for this awesome variety you provide to us. I love that this week I can burn my legs with LL&A and then next week I can load up on the weights with something like Gym Styles. So many options, so many workouts.:D

This one is definitely under-rated. I don't people don't realize how effective the exercises in this one are in shaping/toning your legs. Since I add this one on to a plyo focused workout (Cardio Leg Blast or STS ply legs), I usually skip the compound weight section and do all the other segments. The barre segment never fails to leave my legs shaking. Hope Cathe comes out w/a follow up to this gem.

I'm thinking about adding it on to a day when I do that masochistic Leg Burn premix in Guts and Butts. Probably best to do it early on a Saturday morning, since I probably won't be able to walk for a day or two afterward. haha!!

This one is definitely under-rated. I don't people don't realize how effective the exercises in this one are in shaping/toning your legs. Since I add this one on to a plyo focused workout (Cardio Leg Blast or STS ply legs), I usually skip the compound weight section and do all the other segments. The barre segment never fails to leave my legs shaking. Hope Cathe comes out w/a follow up to this gem.

I'm thinking about adding it on to a day when I do that masochistic Leg Burn premix in Guts and Butts. Probably best to do it early on a Saturday morning, since I probably won't be able to walk for a day or two afterward. haha!!

I've been doing both new lower body workouts and eliminate both 1st sections (compound sections) and do all the other sections together. My legs and butt were burning. I love both of these new lower body workouts. With them having shorter but tuff sections, I love mix and matching them with other lower body workouts too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.