cutting back workout time

kariev

Cathlete
Have any of you cut back your workout time from 60 minutes to 30 minutes and were able to maintain? For years I've worked out for 1 hour 6 days a week. I've been thinking of cutting back my workouts from 60 minutes to 30-40 minutes. I don't have any weight to lose and want to stay where i'm at. I wondered if any of you can share your stories about reducing exercise time even if it wasn't a positive experience. TIA

Hi there,

Right now my workout schedule is 5X/week (strength 3 days/cardio 2 days) plus 1X Yoga. Depending on my energy level and how much time is allotted, I can workout for 30min-60min, but I average 45min most days. Don't get me wrong, I love and look forward to my workout sessions, and although they are very important to me, it's hard to devout more time than that at this stage in my life. TBH, I really don't want to, and I don't beat myself up about it. I'm a SAHM to a small child (who is not in school yet!), and during the day I'm active with her, so I count that as physical activity, even though I'm not sweating to a workout video or in a gym. The most important thing for me is getting out and walking as much as possible, enjoying the outdoors and being a good role model to my little girl. Steps and miles keep my weight in check, my mind sharp, and my mood happy.

Nothing but positive experiences here! I'm fit and healthy, and thriving from my workout regime. I think I'm in a good place ;).

Good luck & take care,

Natasha

Last edited:
I'm currently doing a 5x per week workout schedule. 2 cardio days and 3 strength. I like to make one of my strength days a circuit workout with some cardio in the mix. I like to do 45-60 minutes. For some reason I feel like I shouldn't even bother if it's only 30 minutes, even though I know rationally that makes no sense!! I don't like to go over 60 minutes though. I just don't have the time.

I'm loving shorter workouts these days. I'm doing 30-45 minutes max workouts about 5 times a week and it's working for me. I work hard during my 30 minutes though. ;) I make sure that three of those days include heavy weights and add in whatever I want on the other days. I'm currently doing a Turbulence Training rotation and loving it. Maintaining has always been more about diet than exercise for me anyway.

If you don't count pregnancy- I have maintained and even lose with 20-30 minutes 3-4 days per week. I started using The Firm Wave in Jan of this year and with the exception of 1 workout all clocked in at 20-35 minutes. When I didn't feel like using DVDs, I walked (except during the summer due to the extreme heat).

I've been doing 20-35 minute workouts for many, MANY months now, long before pregnancy and not only did I maintain, I lost. Note that I do not "make the minutes count" by working harder or lifting heavier. I go with the flow as to what I want for that day and more often than not, it's not intensity I'm going for. My stress went down by leaps and bounds, I had more energy for daily life, more desire to take on additional projects and hobbies I've been looking forward to, and I have a greater sense of peace and contentment. I think for the most part bc this is a fitness forum, you are not going to find many people that do what I do or are even willing. I took a leap of faith, stumbled many times, but in the end it was well worth the effort to change my mind set, goals, and priorities. It's all about what you want and what will make you happy. It's also about letting go of the control in general but mostly over the vanity that drives so many to workout longer, harder, and/or more often.

But for your original question: YES!

Last edited:
This is a very good question. I have never done this consistently. However, many times I will do 30-45 minutes. I am very excited for the new XTrain series as I think more of the workouts are around 45-50 minutes.

If I can swing it, I actually enjoy 60 min workouts or longer if I have the time and energy. But when I am tired, or pressed for time, I love to pull out the Hiit workouts and feel ok .

If I remember correctly, I think FitMommy did 30 min. workouts consistently for a while when she was doing Weight Watchers and lost weight. But this was last year and she would have to confirm this.

I'm currently doing a 5x per week workout schedule. 2 cardio days and 3 strength. I like to make one of my strength days a circuit workout with some cardio in the mix. I like to do 45-60 minutes. For some reason I feel like I shouldn't even bother if it's only 30 minutes, even though I know rationally that makes no sense!! I don't like to go over 60 minutes though. I just don't have the time.

This is how I feel as well which is why I asked and what i'm struggling with. I guess its that all or nothing thinking that creeps in now and again. The article that just posted on Cathe's blog made me think of this.

I currently workout 5 days a week for 30-45 minutes except 2 longer runs on Wednesday and Sunday that usually takes me about 1 - 2 hours. I have managed to maintain and even lose weight on this schedule. I contribute the weight loss to my diet though. I do 1 heavy strength day and the rest of my workouts consist of lots of compound moves or workouts that combine both strength and cardio together.

I'm 51 and I love doing the shorter intense workouts. It is really working for me.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.