Beginner Rotation - starting Monday, August 15, 2011

Fantastic !!! I'm thrilled that I will have company on this journey !!

I think I will post each morning about the previous day's workout and how well I stuck to my "eating plan." I refuse to call it a diet :p

Good luck !! See you tomorrow morning..... We can do this....

Goals:

Strengthen and tone muscles
Increase endurance
Eat healthy foods in moderate portions
Drink lots of water
Lose 45 pounds
Keep total calories at or below 1600
Keep total fat at or below 48 grams
Keep saturated fat at or below 12.5 grams
Faithfully do the Cathe Beginner Rotation for 3 months

Monday's goals were:

60 minutes of walking on treadmill at the gym - done
Basic Step and Lower Body from Beginner Rotation - done

now I can't move... lol

calories < 1600 ..... actual for Monday 1799 :(
total fat < 48 ....... actual 45.2
saturated fat < 12.5...... actual 11.4

no weigh in til next Monday morning :D

Is anyone else out there in Cathe Land doing the Beginner Rotation or has recently finished it????

any words of wisdom on what to expect over the next 3 months???

Congratulations on finding a great rotation. Cathe beginner rotation was were I started long time ago and got very good results. My only advise is stick with it. Consistency is key. Modify when you have to and look to copy Cathes form when performing weight or band work. Drink lots of water and eat small clean meals. Eating clean is not easy so don't beat urself up when you mess that up. Important thing is to get back on track as soon as you can.

Best of luck

Carmen

I know you guys are 1 week in to your Beginner Rotation, is it to late for me to join? I posted a new Thread stating that I will be starting my Beginner Rotation Monday 8.22.11. If anyone wants to join that will be fine, but in the mean time may I join this Rotation?

Thanks
Deanna

Deanna -

Welcome !!! So far... it's just me and I stopped posting because I was all alone....

I got sidetracked a bit last week (family illness), so I'm starting over again this week..... so we will be on the same schedule !!! Fantastic !!!

If I have company on this journey, I'll continue posting.... I just didn't want to have a "check-in" thread that was only me.... lol

Susan

Hey Susan, thank you so much for responding.
As I stated in the Rotation section, I started the Beginner Rotation before but never finished. This time I am ready.

People are trying to get me to try P90X, which I got for my teenage son for Christmas 2010. I know that those DVD's are to advance for me and I would rather stick with Cathe's workouts because they catagorize Beginner/Intermediate/Advance etc. I understand you go at your own speed, however I am not trying to hurt myself with Tony Horton......LOL

Okay, I am going to start tonight after work 5pm PST. I downloaded the Beginner Rotation in my Workout Manager Calendar for the next 3 weeks. As for a Diet, I do not have a clue! I am just going to watch what I eat and try to control my potions.

Not sure if you use Instant Messengers ie., Yahoo, Hotmail, AOL, Skype? If so let me know and we can also encourage one another from there.

Thanks for being my workout buddy,
Deanna

Hi Deanna -

As a senior citizen, I'm pretty low tech.... but I'll try to post in this thread each day and hope that you will too.

Normally, I'm only on the computer in the morning when I have my coffee and check emails and the news and weather... and then don't get back on the computer until the next morning..

I'll post every day though in this thread and let you know my progress... We can do this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay... I'm off to do today's program.... Basic Step and the lower body add on (I think it's lower body today... lol)

I've been good about what I've eaten today. I'm concentrating on lean protein, lots of veggies and fruits, staying away from anything made with white flour and/or sugar and trying to do complex carbs instead... like brown rice, oatmeal and sweet potatoes. Lots of Greek yogurt with fresh fruit... I LOVE that... just discovered Greek yogurt a couple of weeks ago. It's great. NO fat.... 140 cals per one cup and chock full of protein....

I put 1 cup of the plain Greek yogurt (I like the Chobani brand) in a bowl and put 1/2 to 1 cup of fresh blueberries on top. Delicious!!!

My problem is not what I eat. I do eat healthy foods... I just eat way too much. Portion control is my problem.
And I crave sugar and carbs something awful... the bad carbs... like crackers and potato chips... sigh.

And.. I'm trying to remember to drink water throughout the day but I didn't do very well on that today....

I look forward to reading your progress report in the morning :D

Last edited:
Oh my!!!! Just finished the 1st day of the Beginner Rotation and my legs feel like wet noodles. Thank goodness Tuesday is a rest day.

Wednesday is Basic Step plus upper body hand weight add on and Thursday is One Segment from Total Body Stretching. I do not have this DVD yet, I am going to order it on Thursday. I wonder what I can substitue Total Body Stretching with until I actually recieve it?

Great job Deanna !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those squats and lunges about killed me... lol I was okay with the inner and outer thigh parts, but squats and lunges will take me a while to get used to.

How did you do with the Basic Step part? I used to do step 20 years ago... but last week when I tried Basic Step I felt like a complete bumbling fool. I couldn't get my feet to move fast enough to keep up with Cathe and crew and I know they are going at a slow pace. Hopefully, with time, I'll get my step legs/feet back in shape....

I'm glad we have the day off ... lol...

Regardless, I'm going to concentrate on eating right today and really focus on controlling portion sizes......

Back at it tomorrow..

I wasn't crazy about using the resistance tubing..... I think I'll like it better when we are using dumbbells..... but I'm not complaining.... I'm grateful for these beginner workouts !!!

Susan

Sounds like you did pretty good as well Susan. :)

I agree the squats and lunges are kllers! I enjoyed the Step part of the workout, I built up a good sweat. Like you said with time you will get it. I think I have had the Basic Step DVD since 07 or 08. I use to do the Cardio (Step) 3 - 5 days per week back then. And as you can see I fell off the wagon, now I am starting over.

I brought my lunch to work today which is baked chicken and Lettuce, I am going to make myself some Lettuce wraps. I am going to try not to put Ranch on it. :(

How are you doing with your water intake? I purchased a 100oz container, my goal is to drink that much water daily. I am in Las Vegas and it is suppose to be 109 degrees today, my body will appreciate it.

As mentioned, I do not have the Stretch DVD we are supose to do Thursday. Any suggestions on what I could do in the mean time until I actualy order it on Thursday?

Keep up the good work Susan, you are doing great. :)

Great job Deanna !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Those squats and lunges about killed me... lol I was okay with the inner and outer thigh parts, but squats and lunges will take me a while to get used to.

How did you do with the Basic Step part? I used to do step 20 years ago... but last week when I tried Basic Step I felt like a complete bumbling fool. I couldn't get my feet to move fast enough to keep up with Cathe and crew and I know they are going at a slow pace. Hopefully, with time, I'll get my step legs/feet back in shape....

I'm glad we have the day off ... lol...

Regardless, I'm going to concentrate on eating right today and really focus on controlling portion sizes......

Back at it tomorrow..

I wasn't crazy about using the resistance tubing..... I think I'll like it better when we are using dumbbells..... but I'm not complaining.... I'm grateful for these beginner workouts !!!

Susan

Hey ladies, I would like to join this small group. I have also started several times the beginner rotation. I know I am 2 days behind you guys,but I'll start Wednesday. I seem to get frustrated when I come to the push ups.:( I have poor upper body strength, and I really need to improve, plus lose some weight. Thanks and Basic Step and upper tomorrow.:)

Hey ladies, I would like to join this small group. I have also started several times the beginner rotation. I know I am 2 days behind you guys,but I'll start Wednesday. I seem to get frustrated when I come to the push ups.:( I have poor upper body strength, and I really need to improve, plus lose some weight. Thanks and Basic Step and upper tomorrow.:)

Hello and welcome, the more the better. We need to encourage one another, because Cathe is no joke no matter what exercise level you are.

Welcome lovetocamp !!! The more the better. I think we beginners need more encouragement than most just to keep us going in the difficult first few months !!!

Good morning Deanna !! I too had my step only - no risers. Until I get used to doing step again (it has been 20 years) I need to be careful. I don't want to trip and going flying across the room. It would not be pretty ... lol

I totally blew my eating plan yesterday..... after being so good on Monday... sigh. But... onward and upward.. this is a question of progress... small steps. I just finished a bowl of hot oatmeal and a banana for breakfast and after I've digested a bit I'm going to go and do today's workout. I have found that if I don't exercise in the morning, that I don't exercise at all.

Originally, I had hoped to exercise both morning and mid-to-late afternoon.... going to the gym in the morning and doing a couple of miles on the treadmill and then doing the Cathe program in the afternoon but that's not going to work. I get busy in the afternoon and can't seem to get motivated to exercise. I'm a morning person, so I think I'll do better to exercise first thing in the morning. One of the joys of being retired :)

Deanna - as far as stretching tomorrow..... I'm not sure which Cathe DVDs you have... but a lot of them have short stretching routines at the end.... Perhaps you could do one or two of those until you get a stretching DVD.

I don't have the one Cathe calls for in the beginner rotation, but I did buy Stretch Max which is great. It has 3 different 20 minute stretch routines. One without equipment, one with a stability ball and one with something else. So I'll do one of the 20 minute routines for our Thursday program...

lovetocamp - the push ups are killers for me. I'm doing them with my knees on the floor and even that is a huge challenge.... but hey.. if I can only do one now.. next week I'll be able to do 2 or 3. Progress... tiny steps of progress.. that's our goal !!!

Deanna - I didn't do great on the water consumption yesterday. I have a 20 oz water bottle that I take to the gym with me. I need to keep that full and in the fridge. My goal is to drink 3 of those per day. Good for you on the 100 oz bottle. Wow... that must be huge !!!!

Okay team :) have a great day and we CAN do this !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan

Last edited:
One more thing...

The reason I bought the Stretch Max DVD instead of the Total Body Stretch is that I figured the Stretch Max would be advanced enough to keep using for years as opposed to having the more basic Total Body Stretch which I might grow out of.

They are very similar. Total Body Stretch has 3 13-minute workouts.. one with only a mat and (I think) 2 with the stability ball.

Stretch Max has 3 20-minute workouts...

Just a thought .... you might want to look at the video clips for both before ordering the Total Body Stretch DVD.....

Morning Susan and lovetocamp :) I hope your workouts go well today. I know my legs are sore as heck.

Susan, you made a good point regarding Stretch Max, I think I will order that one instead. I have a beginner Yoga DVD (not Cathe) which I will do in place of Total Body Stretching on Thursday.

Ladies, I took another look at the Beginner Rotation and it appears for the next 3 weeks we are only going to have one Rest day which is Tuesday. I am going to pray for us, we are going to need it. If my arms are going to be as sore as my legs are now, it is going to be difficult to work through the pain. BUT WE CAN DO IT!

I will post my workout in the Workout Manager as well as here after I complete it this evening. Again good luck with your workouts today.

Ya got that right Deanna !! We're in serious trouble.

Good plan on using your Yoga DVD for our stretching tomorrow. That's perfect !!

I did Basic Step and the Upper Body workout this morning.... whew !!

I'm proud that I got through it ... but I can't do pushups... not even one.... but I tried .... so that's all I can do.

It was hurting my wrists so I kept trying to adjust my hands.... forward a little.. then back a little.. then tried turning my hands inward a little and outward a little... nothing felt comfortable. Anyway, my upper body strength is so pitiful that it's clear I need to be doing this !!!

I love working with the dumbbells. I'm not liking the tubing though.... not sure why.. but I much prefer the dumbbells. Next time we do upper body, I may try using dumbbells instead of the tubing.... or maybe I'll just stick with the program as written... we shall see..

I'm going to be sore tomorrow. I'm sure glad that we just have stretching on tomorrow's program :p

Have fun with your workouts.... I'll be looking for your reports !!!

We CAN do this.... we CAN !!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.