What is up with FitTV?

Stephanie0523

Cathlete
Is FitTV no longer around? The channel still has it's logo on my DirectTV, but it's Discovery Channel programming. I'm so disappointed. Their Web site remains the same, though. So I'm confused. I'm hoping they didn't do away with the channel. When the majority of Americans are overweight, doing away with a channel devoted to healthy living seems stupid and irresponsible. Sorry, had to vent. :(

Hi Stephanie,

You are not alone in your saddness and disappointment. I absolutely LOVED FitTV. I looked forward to not only the exercise shows, but the healthy cooking, lifestyle, and other shows that they provided. I found them to be so informative with likeable hosts. I am very disappointed with their decision to change the programming completely. Even moreso with their lack of communication as to why the change happened. I'm really not able to make the correlation between Dr. G: Medical Examiner its relationship to health and fitness.

FitTV will always hold a special place in my heart. I did my very first Cathe workouts in 2005 on FitTV, and I was hooked ever since! I did Pyramid Lower Body, Power Hour, and have been a Cathe fan ever since.

RIP FitTV!!!

Ugh this is horrible news!! I was wondering why Addicted (IMO, a ripoff of Intervention) was on last night for hours upon hours. Why not just call it Discovery Health again, because I don't see any Health & Fitness programs in their anticipated line up. It's going to be a convoluted brand, just like MTV :(

what a drag. I don't watch a lot of TV but was wondering how come I was getting the "Dr G" every time I flipped to this channel lately. I didn't watch a huge amount of FitTV but it's where I first found Cathe, and for that I'll be forever grateful.
OWN is not on the channel lineup for our cable so far, in case there might be some similar programming.

Hi Stephanie! Here is an article I copied here.

[FONT=&quot]Shows from the former Discovery Health (recently replaced by Oprah's OWN Network) will be added to the channel's lineup along with new series and specials.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NEW YORK - Discovery Communications will next month rebrand its FitTV network under the new name Discovery Fit & Health.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The change as of Feb. 1 will allow some of the shows of Discovery Health, which was recently discontinued to make way for OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network, a joint venture of Winfrey and Discovery, to move to the rebranded channel.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The company said the rebranded channel, available in approximately 50 million homes, will combine "the most compelling real-life stories of Discovery Health with the audience-favorite fitness programming of FitTV."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Content will include forensic mysteries, medical stories, emergency room trauma dramas, baby and pregnancy programming, parenting challenges and stories of extreme life conditions, plus a new slate of series and specials.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Discovery Fit & Health has the unique benefit of drawing upon the best attributes of established brands with active, engaged audiences," said president and general manager Laura Michalchyshyn. "This network will speak to viewers in a way that is both credible and compelling, offering unforgettable stories, authentic experts and engrossing, high-stakes circumstances."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Among the Discovery Health franchises on the network are Dr. G: Medical Examiner and I’m Pregnant And…, 911: The Bronx and Untold Stories of the ER.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Early mornings will offer FitTV workout shows, such as Bodies In Motion, Namaste Yoga and Shimmy.
[/FONT]
Is FitTV no longer around? The channel still has it's logo on my DirectTV, but it's Discovery Channel programming. I'm so disappointed. Their Web site remains the same, though. So I'm confused. I'm hoping they didn't do away with the channel. When the majority of Americans are overweight, doing away with a channel devoted to healthy living seems stupid and irresponsible. Sorry, had to vent. :(

So does this mean no more Cardio Blast? FitTV introduced me to Cathe and I have never been the same. It just completely changed my life.
I hope they keep you on there Cathe.

Thanks for all that you do!
Rachel

That is a bummer. I found Cathe on FitTV too back in 2005. They also had this reality type show called The Gym that I really liked. There were not a whole lot of episodes, which disapointed me.

I agree. I found Cathe on Fit-TV and she has changed my life and exercise habits completely--and for the better. The new format on FitTV doesn't seem to be about healthy living and getting fit at all. What a shame.
~michelle

Yes, it's no longer the FitTV that I want to watch. I am glad however that I got the opportunity to enjoy it when it REALLY was a Fit TV network. Alas, no longer. Much of the programming seems to overlap with the new OWN network oddly or not so oddly enough. Many similar type of programs. Maybe they should merge programming and give us our Fit TV programming back.
Cathy

I found Cathe on FitTV in 2009 when I had Direct TV. I had to switch to Cox communications and to get that show it cost extra for the sports package and I don't watch sprots hardly at all.

Wish I had found Cathe before joining a gym but I found her just in time when my only workout was treadmill and lifting some weights.

Now I have just about all the ones I want, going to order HIIT, Travel Fit and Strechmax to finish out my list :)

This is also how I found Cathe!! I can't imagine how many women will not have the privelage to discover Cathe and her life-changing workouts!! I'm sooo sad about this as well! :(

Pam

Thanks, Cathe. I had found that article after I had posted. I'm so bummed though. I don't want the Fit portion to just be in the mornings. I used to love to put it on FitTV during the day as I was doing chores around the house. I'll miss the constant inspiration. I can't stand those forensic shows, etc. I don't know what they have to do with fitness and health. They are morbid IMO. :(

ETA: FitTV is how I also found out about Cathe. Changed my life. :( I wonder if we can write to the general manager/president and complain. Enough complaints may prompt a change. But I doubt it. The numbers listed in the article said that FitTV's audience is much smaller than Discovery Health, which is why the new channel is mostly Discovery Health. The only reason FitTV's audience is smaller is because they didn't market it like they did Discovery Health. Had it been marketed properly and new shows added regularly, then it would have been successful. So sad and frustrating!

Hi Stephanie! Here is an article I copied here.

[FONT=&quot]Shows from the former Discovery Health (recently replaced by Oprah's OWN Network) will be added to the channel's lineup along with new series and specials.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]NEW YORK - Discovery Communications will next month rebrand its FitTV network under the new name Discovery Fit & Health.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The change as of Feb. 1 will allow some of the shows of Discovery Health, which was recently discontinued to make way for OWN: The Oprah Winfrey Network, a joint venture of Winfrey and Discovery, to move to the rebranded channel.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The company said the rebranded channel, available in approximately 50 million homes, will combine "the most compelling real-life stories of Discovery Health with the audience-favorite fitness programming of FitTV."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Content will include forensic mysteries, medical stories, emergency room trauma dramas, baby and pregnancy programming, parenting challenges and stories of extreme life conditions, plus a new slate of series and specials.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]"Discovery Fit & Health has the unique benefit of drawing upon the best attributes of established brands with active, engaged audiences," said president and general manager Laura Michalchyshyn. "This network will speak to viewers in a way that is both credible and compelling, offering unforgettable stories, authentic experts and engrossing, high-stakes circumstances."[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Among the Discovery Health franchises on the network are Dr. G: Medical Examiner and I’m Pregnant And…, 911: The Bronx and Untold Stories of the ER.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Early mornings will offer FitTV workout shows, such as Bodies In Motion, Namaste Yoga and Shimmy.
[/FONT]

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.