What things can you NOT live without?

angie_nrs

Cathlete
I am just wondering if I am the only one who thinks about this. I'm not a hoarder, but I do stock up on things that I know I will use when they are on sale. You know, like toilet paper, coffee, canned goods, etc. Anyways...when the cashier looks at me funny because I have a cart full of stuff (like TP) I'm always thinking what's the worst thing that can happen by buying this? It's not like it's going to spoil and I'll have lots of TP if %$#& ever hits the fan. *lol*- no pun intended.

Then I think, OK - what if $%# hits the fan? Like a major earthquake, an insane storm, a terror attack, nuclear war, etc. Am I prepared?? Now, I know NOBODY would be completely prepared for any of this, especially psychologically.......but I still think about this. Do I watch too much history channel and syfy channel too??:rolleyes: I think I really started thinking about this when I started watching 'Walking Dead' on Hx channel.:eek: Also with all the talk about the Mayan 2012 calendar......it just got my brain spinning. Yikes!

Here's the top 10 things I can think of that I would want to have available at home if I could no longer get them at the store.

1. Generator (with fuel)
2. Water
3. Canned food
4. Toilet Paper
5. Underwear & socks
6. Blankets & warm clothes (I live north)
7. Feminine hygene products:confused:
8. Coffee
9. Guns & ammo (for hunting and personal protection)
10. Batteries

When you think about this, it really makes you appreciate what you take for granted every day. I try to keep these things in good stock at home at all times, although the clothes with growing boys is virtually impossible! Not to mention the food. Teenage boys = empty food shelves most of the time. Ug! Thank goodness they don't drink coffee.:D

I'm really curious about what all of you would consider your top 10 things that you MUST have at home if you could no longer just go out an buy it. And....does anybody else think about this or am I just a wee bit coo-coo??

You have a good list goin' there Ang. All I can think of to add to it are...

LAPTOP COMPUTERS-can't be w/o my cathe forums! :D

COFFEE/CREAM/SWEETENER-it doesn't fall under food. It's in a class of it's own and probably even more important! :p

RED WINE-not quite as important as coffee but defintely outranks food! LMAO!;)

You have a good list going. I never think about those things at home, but I do for travel. I travel for work a couple of weekends each month. Since it is only for 3 days and I spend most of my time working I started out carrying virtually nothing. Each time I travel I think, boy it would be so nice to have (insert one small item here). So I pack it the next time and then the process repeats. Now I have a whole carry-on bag of creature comforts, netbook, pillowcase cover, portable food, my favorite shampoo, small stuffed animal, ipod, gps...the list goes on. Sometimes I feel the stuff owns me, but I am too attached to the comfort creature comfort they give me to not carry them.

I never think about things like that and never stock up on anything. Tho I probably should as this world gets crazier and the weather more erratic. I guess I should make sure I have flashlights and batteries (which I don't) and things like rice and beans (which I also don't). We do have plenty of wood for our woodstove which I think is important and lots of candles. Tea. I do buy tea by the pound but other than that I pretty much shop from day to day. I hardly ever go to a supermarket just a local farmers' market and the health food store. Maybe I should rethink the way we live!

The only time I've ever given thought to this, is when we were talking about a Zombie apocalypse.:p:D:eek: I guess we watch too many movies! LOL
In the case of Zombies, I would move into a Wal-mart.:D I guess I can't do that in a real life situation. :eek:

Your list looks pretty good to me. :)I always have batteries, candles, generator. I don't stock up on a lot of food because I buy mostly fresh food. I make at least two trips to the grocery store each week.
Last spring I threw out a lot of canned food that was past expiration date.

The only time I've ever done this kind of thing was just before 2000, when there were worries about computer screw ups with the millenium change causing electrical problems. I just picked up some candles and matches and bottled water (I figured I could make it through a few days on the canned and fresh food I had around. And if the worst happened--liike those predicting that nuclear missles would fire---there's not much I could do about it, and I'd just have to kiss my @$$ goodbye!).

For regular things, I do buy TP in bulk ($32 for 48 rolls from Amazon subscriobe-and-save, 100% recycled TP with 80% minimum post-consumer. Free shipping. I set it up to come every 6 months, but I've been able to delay shipment to almost 9 months because I'm the only one using it.). I don't do this for hording, but because TP is something I always want to have on-hand--and I want good 100% recycled paper TP--and this way I do.

Don't laugh, but I stock up on canned cat food, because one time I couldn't find their brand in any petstore and they were not happy to eat something else for a week (spoiled kitties).

In the summer, I stock up on hurricane supplies, which I learned very quickly the year we had 2 major back to back hurricanes and the stores shelves were completely empty. :eek:

Excellent question and list.

Nicely outfitted:

1. Full propane tank: I don't want to be without hot water
2. Stored energy: Generators (2-3 plus fuel and a fuel conditioner), batteries, matches
3. Cleaning supplies: bleach, ammonia,
4. First aide kit: wound kit, antibiotics, zinc oxide, triple antibiotic cream, anti-fungal cream, atarax (spl?), antihistamine (Benadryl), bug repellant,
5. TP, feminine hygiene products (the kind you wash out.),
6. Food/Supplements: protein powder, meat jerky, dried fruit, fish oil, St. John's wort and bilberry (for my interstitial cystitis.), ACV (apple cider vinegar.) olive oil
7. Water filters/tablets
8. Weapons: guns (both small hand pistol and shot gun) ammo, long handled fish spear and cross bow.

The advantage to a cross bow is that you never run out of ammo (unless you lose it.) and its quiet and doesn't ruin the meat, no lead poisoning in your kill if you intent is to eat it.

9. Rugged clothing: boots, wicking undies, gloves, space blanket,
10. Ham radio, flare gun, walkie talkies and batteries,

We live in what used to be a rural area so we did have much of the above list. You do need to keep an eye on dried goods because even flour has a shelf life, the oils do go rancid over time so I use out of my store room and restock. The most important thing to me is the first aide kit, water, and some protein powder, and my weapons. We have mountain lions, bears, skunk (dangerous), dear (also dangerous, the bucks can kill you.) so we do keep an eye out for wild animal problems.

Don't laugh, but I stock up on canned cat food, because one time I couldn't find their brand in any petstore and they were not happy to eat something else for a week (spoiled kitties).

I can relate. ;)My dogs are fed a raw diet and I stock up because we meet the supplier once a month. I have 3 freezers full of raw meat!!! It's not meat I would want to eat though. I would have to be pretty darn hungry to consider it. :eek:

I forgot: I also have a flashlight that is battery free. You recharge it by shaking it. You can also get hand-crank torches and radios (a good idea, IMO, as batteries can leak or run down, especially if these are for emergency items that aren't used often, and forgotten about).

I can relate. ;)My dogs are fed a raw diet and I stock up because we meet the supplier once a month. I have 3 freezers full of raw meat!!! It's not meat I would want to eat though. I would have to be pretty darn hungry to consider it. :eek:

My cats have always eaten a raw diet too, but for now they are eating canned food. For the first time in 6 years I have room in my freezer :p.

Well, if it was a matter of survival, food water, shelter, clothing, weapons... If it was surviving a zombie apocalypse, I'd need rifles, a cross bow and arrows, and a fortress with an unscalable wall.

For surviving for any amount of time in Western NY, I would need lots of blankets because even if I had a generator, it would eventually run out of fuel. And I guess I'd hope that my boyfriend was with us, because he's really smart and was an Eagle Scout, so he knows how to purify pee into drinking water, has a 3rd degree black belt in tae kwon do and he knows how to shoot a gun. I don't think he's ever hunted, so I guess we'd have to learn that.

For just the things I'd go a little nuts without, my iPod, laptop, piano and Xbox.

If you really want to get serious about being prepared ask a mormon. I occasionally teach solar cooking classes and they are my core audience. Most of my classes are sponsored by stores that sell preparedness products, including Sun Ovens. Every mormon household is supposed to have a year's supply of food, water, and energy on hand at all times.

I always have a well stocked pantry and could probably get by for at least a few days - longer if I had stored water, which I don't - and yes, I make sure we never run out of cat food!

DH often says we should be more prepared, but never actually does anything about it. I'm more of a take things as they come kind of person. I'm always thinking that if I stockpile a lot of stuff and disaster does hit it will be of the type where we have to get out of here in a hurry and won't be able to bring any of it with us.

At least with my Sun Oven and the AZ sunshine we'll be able to enjoy hot meals!

For anyone interested in this topic, I strongly recommend David R. Palmer's Emergence, a post-apocalyptic novel. Best book on the planet, IMO.

Interesting comments

Wendy - You CAN live without a computer girl!:p:eek:;) LOL! Actually mine probably wouldn't do me any good IF anyone else was using theirs. Our sevice here on a good day isn't all that great, so if something did happen, I'm sure my server would be down.
Good point on the booze. I forgot about my UV Blue.:eek: I always have lots of that in stock b/c my grocery store runs out of it all the time and it takes them several weeks to restock. So, I'm already prepared for a party if the apocalypse does happen.;)

fit44 - Yup, I think the Walking Dead on History channel got me going with this line of thinking. Have you seen it? I know the first 6 episodes have wrapped up for the first season, but I'm not sure when they are going to resume. I'm sure they will air the re-runs again before they resume. I guess it's a big hit. It's extremely morbid....but I can't help but watch it.

Kathryn - I remember during Y2K thinking that those who were planning air travel during that time were CRAZY! I did have a small stock pile during that time as well.
Oh yeah, I have one of those shake flashlights in my car. I wonder how long they last?

RapidBreath - It looks like we think alike. I'm in a rural area too so we have the guns and bows. Although, I haven't shot a gun in probably 30 years. I forgot about the medical kit. Probably b/c I already have one so I wasn't even thinking about it. It certainly should be on the list though.

Jaffas - I had no idea mormons were so prepared. Interesting. The sun oven looks pretty cool and would certainly come in handy. Thankfully we have a lot of wood around here so when my grill no longer worked, I could cook over an open fire. That would sure take some getting used to.

Morningstar - I'm off to take a peek at your book suggestion. One question though, is it going to make me even more paranoid??

.. If it was surviving a zombie apocalypse, I'd need rifles, a cross bow and arrows, and a fortress with an unscalable wall.

Have you seen Zombieland? I think Cardio is rule #1 for surviving zombies. Yay Cathe! Thanks to her we will be ready.:D:p:p
We need to stock up on twinkies though!!!!:D:cool:

fit44 - Yup, I think the Walking Dead on History channel got me going with this line of thinking. Have you seen it? I know the first 6 episodes have wrapped up for the first season, but I'm not sure when they are going to resume. I'm sure they will air the re-runs again before they resume. I guess it's a big hit. It's extremely morbid....but I can't help but watch it.

I haven't seen this! I'll have to tell my two sons about this. I wonder if it's on Direct TV demand? I'll have to check it out.
I bought my boys this Zombie survival guide....It's hilarious! :cool:
http://www.amazon.com/Zombie-Surviv...9628/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1294662058&sr=8-1

In my opinion, the clerk shouldn't look at you funny unless you're wearing camo and buying a case of TP, batteries, feminine hygeine products and a gun in the same transaction.:p

I like stocking up. I save money by getting things when they're on sale and I avoid the inconvenience of running out of things. I HATE running out of stuff. I'm not expecting a doomsday scenario, but I have a family and like the feeling of being as prepared as possible for whatever happens.

1. 72-hour kits
2. Water
3. Non-Perishable Food
As far as storage, I've learned to store what we use and use what we store. I'd be pretty sad without a fresh salad, but I won't starve.;)
4. Clothing
5. Toiletries
6. Camp Chef and BBQ with full propane tank, dutch ovens and charcoal. Fuel & lighters/matches. We do use these for camping, so I try to keep stocked.
7. First Aid Kit/medication/medicines
8. Emergency Radio, flashlights & batteries (we have so many rechargable that I sometimes forget to stock regular ones). We do have some crank flashlights.
9. Cash
10. Blankets/heat packs, etc.

A generator would be awesome, but we don't have one. Hmmm . . .can I do Cathe by memory?!?

This is an excellent web-site on the subject: http://providentliving.org/channel/0,11677,8033-1,00.html

My Brother-In-Law's family was evacuated on a moment's notice because of a large gas leak in their neighborhood. Each family member had a 72-hour kit with basic necessities and a change of clothing. They spent the night at his parent's house, but it was nice for them to have their own things like clothes and toiletries. After that, I got backpacks on clearance at Walmart and my family put together 72-hour kits. But we should re-pack them with fresher food/water and clothes that will fit my growing kids.:confused:

Note to self: I haven't needed feminine hygeine products since my hysterectomy, but I should prepare for 13-year-old daughter.

fit44 - Actually, I have seen Zombieland. Loved the part with Bill Murray.....totally cracked up. Plus, Woody Harrelson (sp?) is a trip.
I went and read some reviews on the zombie survival guide. LOL! It looks like something my boys would actually read and enjoy. It would give them something to do if the power went out.:confused:
I have a Dish Network package (not the premiere one), so I'll bet your son already has it. I mis-typed earlier when I said it was on the history channel. It was on AMC.:eek: I just saw it on Amazon at $2 per episode on video on demand or $25 for the box set. It is a must see for the Zombie buff......I guarantee they won't be disappointed. Just be forewarned - it is graphic.:eek:

jcm - I still remember something I read a while ago about guns. It mentioned that guns (if taken care of) will never go down in value, so they can actually be considered an investment. Also, if there were an economic collapse or major catastrophy, guns would be in high demand and may also be used to barter, since most of our 'stuff' may not be worth much. My DH has more rifles and shot guns than any one person needs, but they are kept in a locked safe so I'm fine with it. Many of his guns have been handed down from generation to generation so there is some history there as well.

elsie - I think I would give the cashier a heart attack if she ever saw me in camo, but honestly, you should see opening day in our little up north town. I think everyone, women too, dress in camo and orange.
But I'm with you.......I hate running out of things! I also love to get a deal on things I know I'm going to use anyways. Most of the survival stuff (like the generator) we have just because we have a camper. I would be running to the camper to get the percolator, lighters, cooking stove, etc. if I needed anything like that.
The 72 hour kits are a really good idea!
Oh yes - CASH - I forgot about that. I heard that you should have several ones and fives along with change too b/c in a disaster, it may be more difficult for people to make change.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.