Insanity DVD Problem

UnstrungHarp

Cathlete
I bought Insanity from a seller on eBay, new and unopened. It was quite a bit cheaper than ordering directly from BeachBody, plus the seller offered free shipping. I am beginning to wonder if there was a batch of "bad" DVDs from BeachBody that found their way into eBay sellers' hands at a deeply discounted price.

Has anyone else had this problem? On the DVDs that contain more than one workout, I just can't play the second workout. Luckily, Cardio Abs is repeated on a disc by itself, and not only tacked onto the end of the other workout (can't remember which one right now). However, on the Recovery disc that contains both the Month 1 and Month 2 recovery workouts, I can't get the Max Recovery to play no matter what I do! I always play my workout DVDs on my iMac because the screen is plenty large enough, and the computer is in the basement along with all my exercise equipment. So I thought it might have been a glitch with the Mac's DVD Player software. I couldn't find any other way on the computer to play the DVD, so I brought it upstairs to play on the TV in our living room. We have a PlayStation 3 there because it plays DVDs and BluRay discs...and it did exactly the same thing. Then, instead of selecting Max Recovery from the menu screen, I tried fast forwarding through the first workout to see if it would go straight on to the second one without having to select it from the menu - but it did the same thing. Blank, black screen for a bit then jumping back to the menu screen. I have tried jumping straight to different chapters on the computer, and it's still just a black screen.

Anyway, it's frustrating because I can't find any way to get to Max Recovery so I have to go back and do the first month's Recovery workout. I guess that's what I get for buying it at a discount price, but I trusted the seller since they had great feedback and the product was new and unopened. Does anyone know if I can still contact BeachBody about the issue or would that only work if I had purchased straight from them? I doubt contacting that eBay seller would help since it's been over two months since the purchase. I wish I had tested all the DVDs on the day I got the package, but no...and even when I discovered the problem on the disc with Cardio Abs, I didn't do anything because I had the other disc as an alternative.

Ugh...any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

It's possible you purchased a bootleg copy.
I would contact the seller and return them.

You will have to pay return shipping. If seller does not agree to a full refund, file a claim with PayPal.

I bought Insanity from a seller on eBay, new and unopened. It was quite a bit cheaper than ordering directly from BeachBody, plus the seller offered free shipping. I am beginning to wonder if there was a batch of "bad" DVDs from BeachBody that found their way into eBay sellers' hands at a deeply discounted price.

Has anyone else had this problem? On the DVDs that contain more than one workout, I just can't play the second workout. Luckily, Cardio Abs is repeated on a disc by itself, and not only tacked onto the end of the other workout (can't remember which one right now). However, on the Recovery disc that contains both the Month 1 and Month 2 recovery workouts, I can't get the Max Recovery to play no matter what I do! I always play my workout DVDs on my iMac because the screen is plenty large enough, and the computer is in the basement along with all my exercise equipment. So I thought it might have been a glitch with the Mac's DVD Player software. I couldn't find any other way on the computer to play the DVD, so I brought it upstairs to play on the TV in our living room. We have a PlayStation 3 there because it plays DVDs and BluRay discs...and it did exactly the same thing. Then, instead of selecting Max Recovery from the menu screen, I tried fast forwarding through the first workout to see if it would go straight on to the second one without having to select it from the menu - but it did the same thing. Blank, black screen for a bit then jumping back to the menu screen. I have tried jumping straight to different chapters on the computer, and it's still just a black screen.

Anyway, it's frustrating because I can't find any way to get to Max Recovery so I have to go back and do the first month's Recovery workout. I guess that's what I get for buying it at a discount price, but I trusted the seller since they had great feedback and the product was new and unopened. Does anyone know if I can still contact BeachBody about the issue or would that only work if I had purchased straight from them? I doubt contacting that eBay seller would help since it's been over two months since the purchase. I wish I had tested all the DVDs on the day I got the package, but no...and even when I discovered the problem on the disc with Cardio Abs, I didn't do anything because I had the other disc as an alternative.

Yes, the same thing happened to me and I contacted the seller and he suggested I wipe off the dvd and try it again. So I wiped it with a cloth and it worked. No more problems.

Wow - if it's as simple as wiping it off, that would be fantastic! I'll give it a try before I start today's workout.

About the bootleg thing - I may be naive, but would a bootleg copy have the same high-quality packaging as the original? The fancy DVD case with all the printed materials, even the outer shipping box that says "Insanity" and all that? Because mine does, and that was part of the reason why I was sure I was getting the "real" thing.

I bought CLX off ebay and one dvd would not work and emailed the seller and they sent me a whole new set.

Wow - if it's as simple as wiping it off, that would be fantastic! I'll give it a try before I start today's workout.

About the bootleg thing - I may be naive, but would a bootleg copy have the same high-quality packaging as the original? The fancy DVD case with all the printed materials, even the outer shipping box that says "Insanity" and all that? Because mine does, and that was part of the reason why I was sure I was getting the "real" thing.

I know when the seller told me to try wiping it off, I thought "yeah right" but it worked I hope it works for you!

I have a dvd player that won't play part of Cardio Fusion. I didn't know I was missing anything until I put it in a different player. Could it be the dvd player?

About the bootleg thing - I may be naive, but would a bootleg copy have the same high-quality packaging as the original? .

Yes, absolutely. I purchased a bootleg Cathe (push/pull & supersets) and didn't know it. The only way to tell by looking at it was the coding on the inner circle. The playing quality was sub par. The artwork is identical to an authentic copy.

What was your seller's name?

I did the same thing - bought Insanity off of eBay. I am only on week 2 & have not previewed all dvds, UNTIL i read your post. Just checked: any disc w/2 wos, the 2nd one is blank! Also, all the MAX ones from month 2 look different quality compared to 1st month! Still viewable (excpet for 2nd w.o.), but grainy looking. Oh, Max Interval skips thru & looks AWFUL though.

I did notice on Fit Test dvd there was one small section that kinda froze & skipped, but I figured it just needed a good cleaning, looked a bit scratched, but not significant.

I'm really in to the rotation & don't want to interrupt! Even if I return to seller & get another set or $ back, he'll probably just repackage and sell to someone else! Very frustratng! There are some really great legit deals on eBay,but I guess you never know, huh?

Wonderin if it was same seller...mine said it wasfrom FL, but mail packaging was in Spanish & marked to my address: USA??

I tried wiping mine off and it didn't help. :(

I also had an issue with the seller before receiving my DVDs. He seemed legit, with all the positive feedback, a U.S. address (can't remember which state but I don't think it was Florida). As soon as I won the auction, he said it would take extra time to ship to me because he didn't have the stock of DVDs he expected to have (?!?) but would let me know as soon as he received his shipment. I gave him a few days and contacted him, and he said I could either continue to wait as he still expected to receive them, or he would just give me a refund. I didn't want to wait, especially since there were a lot of other sellers on eBay offering Insanity that I could buy from, so I said I would take the refund. Then he said I would have to file a claim with PayPal to get the refund. If any of you have ever done this before, you know it automatically lengthens the process by a couple of weeks or so because they give the seller tons of time to respond before taking any action. When the time had nearly run out for him, with me impatiently waiting to start Insanity, I finally got a tracking number - so I didn't get my refund, but I got the DVDs nearly a month after I won the auction. I was upset, but glad to finally have them.

So anyway, I just went back to the transaction details in PayPal, since eBay won't show my Won Auctions over 2 months old, and I saw that the seller has now made his feedback comments private. He still has really high positive feedback, and all the negatives are old, but it's very fishy that anyone would make the comments private. (What does he have to hide??)

Also, I didn't notice the quality being any worse on the Max workouts, but I really haven't been paying attention...I'll watch for that next time.

I'll try the DVD in any other player I can find, but so far it's failed on two different ones. If that doesn't work, I guess I'll just replace Max Recovery with the Month 1 Recovery throughout my second month because I really don't want to deal with that seller anymore... :(

I have called the paypal credit card people and they are very helpful. I never recieved magazine subscriptions and they credited my cc right away. I think you will have no problem getting your money back.

Unstrung Harp,
Thank you for posting. I also bought my insanity from ebay. I usually don't buy dvd's from ebay but this seller did not have negative feedback. After reading your post I went and checked my dvd's and have the same problem you are reporting.My seller initially offered a full refund but became angry when I informed them that I had also filed a dispute with paypal and now indicates he will not issue a refund unless I cancel the dispute :( Many thanks again for your post. This teaches me to NEVER buy dvd's on ebay again!
Booboo

Unstrung Harp,
Thank you for posting. I also bought my insanity from ebay. I usually don't buy dvd's from ebay but this seller did not have negative feedback. After reading your post I went and checked my dvd's and have the same problem you are reporting.My seller initially offered a full refund but became angry when I informed them that I had also filed a dispute with paypal and now indicates he will not issue a refund unless I cancel the dispute :( Many thanks again for your post. This teaches me to NEVER buy dvd's on ebay again!
Booboo

One thing to keep in mind is that once you cancel the dispute you can't reopen it; ever! So if the seller does not come through with the refund you lose.
My advice for the future is that you give the seller a certain amount of time to refund, before you file a claim. That way you are covered.

In your case, I would tell the seller that I will remove the dispute/claim as soon as the refund goes through. Not the other way around. It's happened to me quite a few times and I've learned from my mistakes... :)

Ebay is swarming with "thieves"... And the feedback is not what it used to be before, not with all those email addresses a single person can own (hotmail, yahoo, gmail etc).

Chris.

how can a seller hold your refund ransom b/c of a dispute? if its a counterfeit or defective product he/she not only needs to refund your money but to face consequences of selling fake/bad products and taking ppl's hard earned money.

i told dh this is exactly why i don't shop ebay anymore!

kassia

how can a seller hold your refund ransom b/c of a dispute? if its a counterfeit or defective product he/she not only needs to refund your money but to face consequences of selling fake/bad products and taking ppl's hard earned money.

He can't, but he can drag the claim out by taking his time providing PayPal with the necessary information. I think he has 10 days to respond to the initial dispute.
But no matter what happens DO NOT close the claim! You can't reopen it and the seller can keep your money!

Last edited:
Chris & Cynthia,
thanks so much for the heads up. I came real close to canceling the dispute last night but something was keeping my finger from clicking that button. I emailed paypal late last night and received a response this morning. I asked them if I could cancel the dispute and reopen it in the event the seller did not follow through on his word and you ladies were right on, it can't be reopened. If the seller chooses to drag it out then so be it, I will eventually get my money back. No more ebay for me!!!!

BooBoo

I think it's a boot-legged copy. I have traded for Cathe DVD which is boot-legged. You can't tell the difference (I have KPC and the boot leg was SB/SJP -- from the same series). Usually the boot-legged doesn't work for premixes either... only the main workout works.

I've learned my lesson from this experience too! Unfortunately, I have already filed one claim with the seller of my DVDs - it was an "item not received" claim since he told me he didn't have the supply of DVDs he was expecting. The claim was resolved when he finally shipped me the DVDs (naturally after waiting the whole ten days PayPal gave him to respond). So, I am not sure if I can open another claim about a different issue on the same transaction...especially since it's been over two months since I won the auction. The only workout I am really missing out on is the Max Recovery since Cardio Abs is accessible on a disc by itself. I guess can live with that, since I got a good deal (just with some added "stupid tax" as Dave Ramsey might call it). But I'm definitely not getting DVDs from eBay sellers anymore...I'll get Shock Cardio straight from Cathe. :)

Ebay Schmebay!

I don't like Ebay anymore. I was tired of trying to get a 'deal' on workout videos and the prices were the same as buying them from a known reputable seller like Cathe or Amazon, or whatever. There's never a 'deal' and if there is, it's probably a cheap replica of the original and you won't get the life out of the product that you thought.

I LIVE on Amazon. I get all my purchases from there. I have Amazon Prime and get free 2 day shipping on almost everything. They have competitive prices and even sellers who have used/new products. I'd trust them before anyone on ebay.

Have you had luck resolving disputes w/seller?

I just really went thru all my discs & discovered that ALL the ones w/2 w.o.s are missing the 2nd one (cardio abs, insane abs & max recovery), the insane abs only disc says "unreadable" on my player -- it's totally blank! And Max Interval Training is soo grainy & skips it is basically useless, the other Max ones don't look too sharp either, but they are still pretty decent.

So, I put a message in tothe ebay seller with the above info & requested a partial refund, cuz I just want to keep what does work so I don't have to interrupt my rotation & purchase deluxe via bb coach or other legit fitness web site if I want them.

I just hope he's responsive. Do I contact eBay or PayPal to file a claim if I need to? Fortunately, I've never had a problem w/eBay purchases before. No more tryng to save $ on workout sets on eBay!!

Sorry for the long post..thanks

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.