Hardcore Fitness Maniacs for 5/27

orphylea

Cathlete
Morning! I did STS Disc 14 Legs today- trisets again. I swear that is the hardest leg workout I have ever done. Or maybe it just feels that way since I just finished it. :p

DD's actual birthday is today- making her cupcakes. I will not eat one. I will NOT.

Morning ladies!

Today I did PLB - added leg extensions and leg curls. I feel like burned mega calories. This was the goal since my eats have not been so good. Been traveling and eating out a lot. Need to get back in the clean game!

Have a great one everyone

Today was Biceps and Triceps. Straight and drop sets. Had an excellent workout and felt very strong today. I find I want to lift heavier and heavier again. I love the feeling of it. I love to see how far I can push myself.

However, my one concern and I know I've stated this before: I don't like how I look in tank tops anymore. I'm so muscular that I think I look stupid. Not sure why all of a sudden I don't like it. And I don't know what to do. I can't seem to get away from lifting heavy, it is my passion. I'm thinking if I lose the damn 8# I'm trying to get rid of then my upper and lower body will tighten up a bit and I won't look as "bulky". I'm hoping anyways. If I'd quit sabataging my efforts I'd already be where I want to be.

:mad:

Anyways....

8 minute warmup on treadmill.

1 minute rest between each set.

**Denotes drop set exercise.

BICEPS
Barbell Curls:
60# - 8/8/8/8
***Added one more set this week. Felt VERY strong on these. I haven't curled 60# in quite a while.

Incline Dumbbell Curls:
22's - 10/10/10

Hammer Curls**:
22's - 12/12/12
20's - 8
15's - 8
12's - 10
***Wow, these killed me. After the 3rd set of 12 I did the drop sets without rest.

TRICEPS
Close Grip Barbell Press:
75# - 8/8/8/8
***Added an extra set. These felt awesome and I could have gone heavier.

Weighted Bench Dips:
60# - 10/10/10
***Love this exercise.

Lying Dumbbell Extensions:
22's - 12/12/12
15's - 10
12's - 11
10's - 12
***These burned. 22's was tough and by the 3rd set I almost didn't get to the 12th rep. After the 3rd set I did the drop sets without rest.

That is all....

Morning Maniacs -

This morning I did David Kirsch 7 Day Rx, Back & Butt. I added on extra legs. Workout was 67" and I burned 270 calories.

Have great workouts everyone. I work open to close today. It's difficult to find things to amuse yourself for that long when there are no customers, which has been the case lately. Thank goodness I'm off tomorrow.

ETA: YUK, sitting here eating my oatmeal and berries and I felt something crunchy in my mouth.........needless to say, it was a little tiny worm from one of the blueberries! Not sure if I can finish them..........just had to share!! LOL.

Last edited:
OK - I think I'm going to hurl - thanks, Lora!:p

Patti - eat a cupcake and enjoy it. Birthday cupcakes don't count. I make all cupcakes/brownies/cakes with applesauce in place of oil. Halle loves to bake and knows to use "apple oil" as she used to call it in place of oil. You will not be able to tell...and suddenly cupcakes are a bit healthier ;)

Yesterday, I was soooooo tired. My allergies have been awful (what's new...) and that zaps my energy. BUT, I saw myself in the bikini in less than 3 weeks and that was all I needed! I did AOS Providence for the first time since STS and had moved up in weights. Finished with about 6 minutes on the TM for a calorie burn of 500. I feel some soreness setting in but not too bad. Today will be something but nothing has called my name as of yet. Going to clean up around here first anyway, wash some clothes - all the fun stuff. Calories for yesterday were 1665, carbs 38.8%, protein 36.6% and fat 27.1%.

Happy day to all :)

Good Morning Maniacs!!!

Did the lowmax yesterday, but was not in the mood to workout at all and almost needed a push down into the basement so I could get going. Finished it up and had a good time once I got going.

Today I am looking forward to working out biceps/back/abs. Going lighter with curls today since the reps are higher.

Debbie,

I understand what you are saying. I have had, not sure I still do though, but I enjoy challenging myself with how heavy I can go. However, I still have this fear now of injuring myself since I was in pain for months so even though I want to see how heavy I can go, I got fear of injury to deal with now too.

I would be proud to be sporting all the muscle I can get in a tank top. I would not think twice about this. Let people see how much you work your ass off..BE PROUD!:D

Lora,

Worms??? Oh, my! That is really nasty. My daughter would have passed out. She cut open a green pepper and worms came out and she was petrified. She inspects her silverware and glasses 24/7 before she uses them. lol. BTW, there is a new show on A&E called Obsessed. I laughed my ass off and cried some during it.

Shana,

Sounds like your doing good with everything. Sorry to hear about allergies. I have been sneezing more then usual.

Patti,

Hope your daughter has a great birthday. My husband is Gemini. Your daughter probably loves you to read to her. ;)

Morning! I did STS Disc 14 Legs today- trisets again. I swear that is the hardest leg workout I have ever done. Or maybe it just feels that way since I just finished it. :p
DD's actual birthday is today- making her cupcakes. I will not eat one. I will NOT.
Pati, I have the same results with the STS Series. Just love them. Birthday cupcake? Hmmmm.;)
Morning ladies!
Today I did PLB - added leg extensions and leg curls. I feel like burned mega calories. This was the goal since my eats have not been so good. Been traveling and eating out a lot. Need to get back in the clean game!
Have a great one everyone
Ashumate, Good job on your goal!

Today was Biceps and Triceps. Straight and drop sets. Had an excellent workout and felt very strong today. I find I want to lift heavier and heavier again. I love the feeling of it. I love to see how far I can push myself.
However, my one concern and I know I've stated this before: I don't like how I look in tank tops anymore. I'm so muscular that I think I look stupid. Not sure why all of a sudden I don't like it. And I don't know what to do. I can't seem to get away from lifting heavy, it is my passion. I'm thinking if I lose the damn 8# I'm trying to get rid of then my upper and lower body will tighten up a bit and I won't look as "bulky". I'm hoping anyways. If I'd quit sabataging my efforts I'd already be where I want to be.

Debbie, I also love the feeling when I lift heavier, it makes me want to continue on with the program and also look forward to it. I don't know why you are feeling like you don't like the way you look. I would give anything to look like you do. Just remember how hard you worked to look like that from day one. Everyone changes, but perhaps like you said, lose just a few pounds (I don't know why in my eyes but...) and maybe you won't look so bulky (envy talking here). We all go through sabataing our efforts, just keep trying. Not easy, I know. I got my hands on a Muscle Fitness magazine with the Tabata workouts in them; Great stuff!

Morning Maniacs -
This morning I did David Kirsch 7 Day Rx, Back & Butt. I added on extra legs. Workout was 67" and I burned 270 calories.
Have great workouts everyone. I work open to close today. It's difficult to find things to amuse yourself for that long when there are no customers, which has been the case lately. Thank goodness I'm off tomorrow.
ETA: YUK, sitting here eating my oatmeal and berries and I felt something crunchy in my mouth.........needless to say, it was a little tiny worm from one of the blueberries! Not sure if I can finish them..........just had to share!! LOL.
Lora, Great workout, as usual. Very proud of you. EEEWWWWEEEE! I'm dry gaging here!:confused:

OK - Yesterday, I was soooooo tired. My allergies have been awful (what's new...) and that zaps my energy. BUT, I saw myself in the bikini in less than 3 weeks and that was all I needed! I did AOS Providence for the first time since STS and had moved up in weights. Finished with about 6 minutes on the TM for a calorie burn of 500. I feel some soreness setting in but not too bad. Today will be something but nothing has called my name as of yet. Going to clean up around here first anyway, wash some clothes - all the fun stuff. Calories for yesterday were 1665, carbs 38.8%, protein 36.6% and fat 27.1%.
Happy day to all :)
Meowracer, So sorry to here about your allergies. I can't even imagine.:( Great job on your workout.

Char, I need a shove sometimes too when I need to exercise. But, as you, I'm glad once it is over. Most days though, I love it. Good advice for Debbie, by the way. She needs to hear that with all her work, she looks so good, and I agree, let people envy that body of hers, she worked/and working so hard to get there.

I need help please: I need to know what to drink/shake before and after a cardio and before and afterwards a weight/resistance training workout. Also, if I do a cardio then do a weight training shortly afterwards what do I drink before and afterwards for that? I understand fractions or oz. in my vocabulary, but don't understand grams.

I've been reading my SIL Muscle Fitness magazines and they have all kinds of things in there that you should be doing, and drinks before and afterwards are in there. I want to make my own, not purchase all those powdered drinks they have all over the place for sale.

I'm fairly sure I can make my own. This is what I have on hand, if I need anything more, could you possibly help me in the right direction?

Hemp protein
Whey protein
I've ordered some casein protein
oat and wheat bran
oatmeal
soy milk (not so sure about it anymore though)
bee pollen
lecithin granules
wheat germ
flax seed (ground)
creatine
L-glutamine

Chicken, turkey, fish, lots of fresh/frozen fruit and vegies.

Just confused on when and how to use all this.

Also, not sure how many calories to consume during the day. I'm not losing weight anymore and it could be because I'm not eating enough or maybe I'm eating too much. I eat around 1100-1250 calories. I'm 5'5.5". Do cardio one day and lift weights the next with a day or two of rest before I start all over again.

I know I'm asking for a lot and I'm sorry about that, but the magazines are confusing and you all just put it out there for anyone to understand. I still have so much to learn.

Anyone want to take a stab at this? I would really apprciate it. :confused:

Janie

Last edited:
Debbie,

I understand what you are saying. I have had, not sure I still do though, but I enjoy challenging myself with how heavy I can go. However, I still have this fear now of injuring myself since I was in pain for months so even though I want to see how heavy I can go, I got fear of injury to deal with now too.

I would be proud to be sporting all the muscle I can get in a tank top. I would not think twice about this. Let people see how much you work your ass off..BE PROUD!:)

Thanks Char!!! Believe me, I am trying not to go too heavy for fear of injury as well. Been there, done that. But I just can't seem to get completely away from it. When I bench press 80# I want to do 90. :eek: SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!!! Thanks for the words, I am proud, I just wish I was a bit more "trim". :p

Debbie, I also love the feeling when I lift heavier, it makes me want to continue on with the program and also look forward to it. I don't know why you are feeling like you don't like the way you look. I would give anything to look like you do. Just remember how hard you worked to look like that from day one. Everyone changes, but perhaps like you said, lose just a few pounds (I don't know why in my eyes but...) and maybe you won't look so bulky (envy talking here). We all go through sabataing our efforts, just keep trying. Not easy, I know. I got my hands on a Muscle Fitness magazine with the Tabata workouts in them; Great stuff!

Hi Janie! Thank you also. I know I shouldn't be complaining, but I just want to look a certain way and can't seem to get there. I have way enough muscle, now I need to lean out. It's been hard and I keep sabatoging myself on the weekends. Like I said, I need to work on that.

Tabata was fun! I really enjoyed those workouts. Have fun with it!

I need help please: I need to know what to drink/shake before and after a cardio and before and afterwards a weight/resistance training workout. Also, if I do a cardio then do a weight training shortly afterwards what do I drink before and afterwards for that? I understand fractions or oz. in my vocabulary, but don't understand grams.

I've been reading my SIL Muscle Fitness magazines and they have all kinds of things in there that you should be doing, and drinks before and afterwards are in there. I want to make my own, not purchase all those powdered drinks they have all over the place for sale.

I'm fairly sure I can make my own. This is what I have on hand, if I need anything more, could you possibly help me in the right direction?

Hemp protein
Whey protein
I've ordered some casein protein
oat and wheat bran
oatmeal
soy milk (not so sure about it anymore though)
bee pollen
lecithin granules
wheat germ
flax seed (ground)
creatine
L-glutamine

Chicken, turkey, fish, lots of fresh/frozen fruit and vegies.

Just confused on when and how to use all this.

Also, not sure how many calories to consume during the day. I'm not losing weight anymore and it could be because I'm not eating enough or maybe I'm eating too much. I eat around 1100-1250 calories. I'm 5'5.5". Do cardio one day and lift weights the next with a day or two of rest before I start all over again.

I know I'm asking for a lot and I'm sorry about that, but the magazines are confusing and you all just put it out there for anyone to understand. I still have so much to learn.

Anyone want to take a stab at this? I would really apprciate it. :confused:

Janie

This is what I do:

Before cardio: Nothing. I do fasted cardio because I do it first thing in the morning.
After cardio: WHEY Protein drink w/some frozen fruit in it for carbs.

Before weight training: WHEY Protein drink w/some frozen fruit.
After weight training: Pancake made out of 2 egg whites, 2 tbsp. oats and whatever flavor I want (i.e. cinnamon, cocoa, whatever.) I sweeten it with agave nectar. Or I drink another protein drink.

I always make my protein drinks with just water. It helps the protein digest better then milk does.

For weight training it is very important to get protein and carbs in your system before and after you train. Before helps you keep your energy up plus helps the muscles recover. After, same thing, helps your muscles recover.

Also, after cardio or weights I take 3 BCAA's, 1 L-Glutamine tablet, 1 Glucosmine tablet, Vitamin C and calcium.

Not sure why you are confused about chicken, turkey, etc. Just eat them throughout the day. Make sure you eat a protein, good carb and good fat with each meal if possible.

If you pm me your age and weight (not sure you want to post it here) I'll help you figure out what calorie range you should be using.

Debbie, thank you so much! It gets confusing reading so many articals and the different things to do before and after a workout. Regards to chicken/fish/turkey, I thought there also was a time for that. I'll continue to eat them with everyday meals.

I don't care who knows how much I weigh...etc. (well, I guess I do, but need to anyway. Keeping it real/true to myself.

5'5.5" tall
Age 58
weight 155 - The only excuse was last year I was mending from my breast explant surgery. It took 6 months to heal because of complications. Lots of self pity, depression...but good to go now. Felt I needed to say this, very ashamed of weight gain. Before the surgery I was 135. It seems so difficult to get back there. My goal 125 pounds.

Last edited:

Patti - BACK AWAY FROM THE CUPCAKES!!!! You know I love ya, but this for your own good. If you eat one, you know you will be mad at yourself later!:p

Debbie - I also hate the way I look in certain tank tops. If they are cut with a scooped neck, which is known around here as a "wife-beater" or in our case a "husband-beater" shirt, I feel like I look just like that, big & bulky and that I beat my husband on a regular bases. I find tank tops with square neck lines or higher front are much more flattering on me.

Lora- Uh! Thanks for sharing!:confused: Gross!

Yesterday, I was soooooo tired. My allergies have been awful (what's new...) and that zaps my energy. B

Shana
- Been having a lot of allergy issues in my house too!

Did the lowmax yesterday, but was not in the mood to workout at all and almost needed a push down into the basement so I could get going. Finished it up and had a good time once I got going.

My husband is Gemini.

Char - That is exactly how I felt this morning about working out. BTW, my DH is also a Gemini.

Okay, I woke up this morning with absolutely no interest in working out and a great desire to just stay in bed. But I got up and did it anyway and gave it my all. Did Step Blast and abs, workout was 1:04 and burned 489 calories.

Here are the ab exercise. Did two sets of 10 for each

Bench Twisting Crunch
Bench Toes to Ceiling
Bench Reverse Crunch
Bench Knees Out

Patti - BACK AWAY FROM THE CUPCAKES!!!! You know I love ya, but this for your own good. If you eat one, you know you will be mad at yourself later!:p

Linda: Good advice! I knew you would say that. :p They are tiny (literally 2 inches tall and one inch in diameter and I didn't touch one! I actually don't even want it because I know I'll eat 5 and THEN be mad at myself. Not worth it, especially after that killer leg workout this morning. Thanks for the kick in the behind- please continue as needed. :D WTG on Step Blast- I like that one.

Debbie: I'm sure I don't have as much muscle as you do but I have noticed that when I eat crap and get a bit bloated and add 5 pounds to my frame I look big, not sculpted. It's ick and I hate it. So yeah, I know what you mean.

Lora: Um, gross. That's all. :)

Char: Yes, she DOES love for me to read to her- she will sit there much longer than I will. :) She is a handful, though- completely full of her own will. :)

Hi Shana, Ally and Janie!

Debbie, thank you so much! It gets confusing reading so many articals and the different things to do before and after a workout. Regards to chicken/fish/turkey, I thought there also was a time for that. I'll continue to eat them with everyday meals.

I don't care who knows how much I weigh...etc. (well, I guess I do, but need to anyway. Keeping it real/true to myself.

5'5.5" tall
Age 58
weight 155 - The only excuse was last year I was mending from my breast explant surgery. It took 6 months to heal because of complications. Lots of self pity, depression...but good to go now. Felt I needed to say this, very ashamed of weight gain. Before the surgery I was 135. It seems so difficult to get back there. My goal 125 pounds.

Janie, I show that if you want to maintain your current weight you can eat up to 2106 calories a day. But since you want to slim down you should keep it around 1474-1685 calories a day. Try eating around 1500-1600 a day and see how that goes. I believe anything below 1500 is too low. Log you foods every day so you know where you are at.

Has anyone ever tried BSN N.O. xplode drink?

Roselyn....No, but it gets really high ratings. I take Fuzion which has N.O. It really helps me to push through my workouts...especially since I've been lifting heavy.

Lora....Gross on the worm!

Today was legs. (threw in some abs) Had a great workout. Bulgarian Split squats are killer! Love/Hate them!

Ok, maniacs got a zillion things to do before we leave tomorrow. Oh, Olesya is still in NY so I won't get to meet her this time :(

Take care all!

Somehow, somehow, I got my workout in. I did not want to - I'm tired and sore but onward I went!! I did 2 miles on the bike to warm up, .5 on TM at 15% incline, then warm up to CC#1 on arc for .25 miles, steady and challenges 1 and 2 on stepmill for 100 flights/a little over 2 miles and finished on bike (challenge 3 )for another mile. Cooled down by just walking around and stretching. My legs felt like blocks, especially after yesterday. Calorie burn before stretching was 490. Tonight I will do abs.

Janie - I would hate life without my protein shake, except I buy a premade one. It is the ON Natural Whey - no artificial stuff in it and it also has BCAA's. You definitely need to eat more, woman!

Deb - just want to say that I doubt you look too muscular. I love the muscular look and I bet you look great in a tank top. You also Linda! I wish I had that problem. My DH says I'm a lot more muscular than I used to be since I upped my protein, but I have a huge layer of fat covering me....mostly lower body...but upper also. Frustrating and I don't think my age is helping matters.

Thanks Char!!! Believe me, I am trying not to go too heavy for fear of injury as well. Been there, done that. But I just can't seem to get completely away from it. When I bench press 80# I want to do 90. :eek: SOMEBODY STOP ME!!!!! Thanks for the words, I am proud, I just wish I was a bit more "trim". :p]

I bench 80# too, and want to go heavier. My problem is that above my spinal lumbar fusion, I tend to get spasms when I go too heavy. I've tried inching the pounds up and got up to 85#, but started getting spasms in my thorasic area. My shoulders are bad too, so I have to be extremely careful with my form.

I have a tough time increasing my barbell curls because of the problem in my shoulders. I'm pretty sure there is no way I can curl a 60# bar, but now....I want to try! LOL! Doc thinks I might have tears in my bicep tendons, and some other hidden tears in my rotator cuff. He wants to do surgery, I want to wait.

I like your nutritional routine. Looks good. I'm no where near as trim as you, but I hope to one day get (back) there. I put on more than 50 pounds during the years in a wheelchair. It's hard for me since I can get knocked down and out by a couple of hard hitters (MS and Lupus) when I over do things or am under too much stress, and I am no spring chicken (I will be 55 on June 4th). But I too, am a fitness maniac, and PROUD of it!

Carol

I didn't get to check in this morning because I was at my dd's watching her children and didn't have my laptop with me. I didn't get the workout in that I had wanted to. I did STS chest, shoulders, and triceps Meso 2 week 4 before I went to dd's at 6. When I got there I did STS no equipment abs, stability ball abs, and pilates abs, then Yoga solutions post cycling. I wanted to use dd's treadmill this morning but my grandbaby slept late and I just lost the motivation.

Debbie and Linda, I know how you feel. But, I also want to be able to see results from my workouts. I have certain shirts that I put on and feel self conscious about my arms.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.