Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/14

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did I did two of the Walk Strong Lower Body workouts, for a total of 65 minutes. Today I did a 70 minute indoor ride.

Deb-I'm so glad that Keegan is better. Great job with the FS workouts!

AtlantaJJ-I'm so glad that Linus is doing better. I have the same feeling about To The Mat. I don't love it but it's something I probably need to do more often. I always feel some DOMS after that one. The ICE & Fit Tower Rotation sounds like a really good one.

Carolyn-I'm going to schedule a massage for next week. I was going almost every month for a while but I got out of the habit and haven't gotten one since last May. I can really feel it too.

Valerie-I love cauliflower by itself but I tried a cauliflower pizza crust a couple of months ago and it wasn't very good. I haven't had much luck with the riced cauliflower either. I'm pretty sure that I couldn't get Chris to try it at all. I think I might try this recipe:

http://www.trimdownclub.com/recipe/skinny-slow-cooker-aloo-gobi-indian-cauliflower-potato-curry/

Diane Sue-Great workouts today! Athletic Conditioning 1 is the only KCM workout that I don't have.

Hi to Lori!

Judy

Good morning,

Yesterday I did Live Low Impact Cardio HIIt...34 minutes, 211 calories.

Atlantajj, ( what is your first name? Glad that Linus is feeling better. The Fit Tower and ICE rotation is a good one. I used to work out at 4:30 am, before work...until I retired. I know how that is....:)...LOL.

Valerie, I hope your computer issue is resolved. Nothing like a day on the phone with tech support...:(. I love dairy too, especially cheese.

Carolyn, sometimes you just have to "sub" something else in a rotation...and I guess that was one of those days for both of us yesterday.

Diane Sue, I think when you purchase an E-book, like a cookbook, they are better to use than the library downloads. I have some on my iPad, and they have links to the table of contents that work when you touch them. The library e-books are a little more restrictive. I got this one just to look over the recipes to see if I wanted to purchase the book. I will have to go over and look at that Salisbury steak recipe.

Judy, that recipe looks great, and so easy with a slow cooker.

Hi to Lori,

Agility class this morning, then we are going to see "Mama Mia" tonight....

Take care,

Good morning everyone! Thank you so much for the well wishes for Mr. Linus. He is a 13 year old ginger tabby that is the sweetest purr fur ball you ever met. He was diagnosed with diabetes during the spring of 2017. He was doing well until last Tuesday when he went hypoglycemic and we had to take him to the pet ER. Since that time he lost his appetite. I'm happy to report that he's eating again and seems to be his usual loving self now.

TrailDoggie - I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your kitty in October. It takes a while to recover from that type of loss. I've been a cat lover all of my life and lost a few over the years. I always end up with a new rescue at some point. It seems they are appointed to me now. I have another boy named O'Bonnie who is also a rescue that appeared after one of my other rescues died of feline leukemia. I swore I would never get another cat after that, I was so heart broken. Then O'Bonnie appeared. :)

WD thank you for the advice on the Fit Tower! I need to run a tight ship in the mornings. I'm looking forward to the day when I have more time on my hands.

IronGirl - thank you for the kind words about Linus.

FitGran - thank you for the prayers! I should know better about the computer, it can really be a time grabber. I really should avoid getting on until the end of the day!

I have almost completed a successful week of the ICE beginner rotation. One more workout to go!

ETA: My first name is Janet! :)

Last edited:
I did 10 on the elliptical, then part of the blizzard blast , then MM biceps. the blizzard blast was way too hard. all that jumping is not possible for me. this was yesterday.
I am using my "updated computer right now. it's not working very well. "bold" is not turned on, but everything I type here looks like it's in bold print ... sorry. everything is larger than it should be. we have another visit with tech people monday morning so will see. at this point I'm ready to go to Win 10.
anyway, if thi is distorted I won't know for sure until I post.
Atlanta JJ congrats on a week of ICE. we have a similar history with kitties. my last two were rescues and the one before a stray that showed up at our house after the 4th. after last october I am still not sure if I will get another. I would like to, but it is so hard to go thru the inevitable health problems with little guys who live only a fraction of our lives. so I want to but I don't want to go thru that again.

Judy that looks very tasty. and simple in a slow cooker.

I had a trial last night of roasted yellow beet. I made just one! yes... one beet. it was good and the color didn't run all over like the red ones do. It seemed less sweet, a good thing, and pleasant tasting. not sure I'd want a lot of them, but in a mixed roast vegie dinner it was pleasant. I roasted it with brussel sprouts and some butternut squash. one of those sheet pan dinners. and some salmon. DH is trying to get his diet improved one day at a time. I think his numbers will improve now that he's not eating cookies and M&M's all the time. and ice cream. I stopped making ice cream and switched to a low cal fudge bar instead. He could lose a few pounds, also might improve his lipid numbers but it's more vanity pounds. Like most adults he could lose a few pounds but he's not fat.
This didn't turn out bold and I found DH had enlarged the display to 125% and thats why it was so weird looking.

Last edited:
No workout today—I decided to take a rest day. I had a hair appointment this morning and I am not happy with the results. My stylist is out with some medical issues and her daughter and another stylist were covering things. I will probably avoid the salon until she returns. I hope that she is better soon.

Valerie, good that you liked the roasted yellow beet. It does have a slightly different taste. I like to roast a mixture using both varieties. I made a sheet pan dinner earlier in the week with chicken, brussel sprouts, and carrots. It was very good.

Judy, I want to get a massage monthly too. I need to schedule in advance or I won’t think about it. That cauliflower curry recipe looks good.

Deb, subbing a Cathe Live workout is a great way to add variety to the rotation. I am finding that I have a bit of dread factor with some of the cardio in this series so I definitely need to add in other things.

Atlantajj you can call me Carolyn. ICE and Fit Tower make a nice rotation.

Diane Sue, I got the spiralizer attachment but I haven’t used it yet. I need to go shopping first. The Salisbury steak noodle bowl sounds delicious.

Hello to Lori.

Good afternoon ladies,

Yesterday was Ride or cardio of choice so I did a Lekfit bounce for 45 mins. Today was FS Low Impact and Metabolic Conditioning. I did my premix and enjoyed. Would never do these workouts otherwise. I finished off with 2 segments of BBS dance bounce. Total time today was 67 mins / 547 cal.

Atlantajj...I love the Fit Tower workouts. She also has a couple of Live FT workouts that are great. I do not have the Demand. I have most of her dvds and downloads. I love her live workouts but do not do them as much as I used too and have thought about cancelling. she keeps coming out with great workouts so I have yet to do it. So glad Linus is doing well. We have a 17 year old chihuahua that has her ups and downs. I get up at 4:45am. I start my workout at around 5:30. I need time to wake up have a cup of coffee. I am not one of those people that can roll out of bed and workout. Wish I could but will never happen! I watch the news and play with our chocolate lab and kittie. They love our time in the moring. :) congrats on your first week of ice

Deb...I discovered I can do pullovers with 30lbs! In the metabolic workout she does do this and I just went with the flow and halfway through is when I realized it. We used two 15lb instead of one 30lb that was used in the xtrain ch,back and shoulders the other day. I was very proud of myself. Mama Mia sounds like fun!!! Keegan still doing well?

Valerie...hope things get better with you computer update. So fustrating! My little Nilla is going to break my heart. She is in my arms right now as I type with one hand. It is so hard to say goodbye when the time comes. After Chester we did not think we would get another and here we are with GiGi. She gives us so much joy we are glad we decided on another. I have not done all the muscle meltowns. Can you believe that?

Judy...nice workouts!!! Great job on a 70 min spin. You amazes me!

Caroyln...I sub workouts in a rotation all the time. Sometimes when I wake up I may not feel like the workout scheduled so I do what I feel like doing. I saw over of VF amazon had preorders of build and burn for $26. Figured why not! They will not ship till March though. I have plenty to do till then so I can wait. Perhaps for me doing a rotation with these will be best.

Diane Sue…I like a hearty white bread. Always have. :). Great combination of workouts yesterday. I would be making apple pie every day with that spiralizer.

Have a great afternoon all!

Today's workout was Fit Split Cardio Shred/ Push, I did Cardio Shred by itself then Push skipping the warm up. Cardio Shred timesaver,224 calories, heart rate 136 average, 160 max, 2,612 steps. I thought I might use the rebounder for some of this, but did not find it was something I could do. I am not jumping on and off the rebounder like that. I then did Push which was 33 minutes without the warm up and with writing things down. Calories burned 159, heart rate 103 average, 128 max, 473 steps. I finished off with Suzanne Bowen Barre Amped advanced active stretch, 28 minutes, 62 calories. Total time was 90 minutes, 445 calories.
Weights
Bench Press 20# dbs x 10,8,8 reps superset with chest flys 15# dbs 10,8,8 reps
Knee tap push ups bodyweight 10,8 reps
plyo push ups 20 reps (10 wide 10 close)
alternating close grip bench press 20# x 16 , 12,8 reps superset with lying extension 35# barbell 10, 8,8 reps
dips 35# barbell 32 reps
shoulder press 35# barbell 10,8,8 reps superset with goal post 15# dbs 10,8,8 reps
front squat 40# barbell 12,12,12 reps superset with high tight ( I used the fit tower instead of the step) 64 reps at 4 sets of 16 reps of lower and shallow
calf raises 25# dbs 48 reps

Judy, that recipe looks like it might be good. I have tried different recipes. It seems there was one that was supposed to be a snack of buffalo cauliflower. I am not sure if it was in one of my cookbooks or online. I have both of Kelly's Athletic conditioning. The first one is a bit more impact than a lot of Kelly's since it is geared toward young people in athletic sports. It is not over the top though and then there is the stretch as the second workout. Do you have the second one? I think I may have seen you use that one. I like the core/ stretch and the weight workout in that one.

Deb, most of the time I just check out the physical cookbook from the library if I can find it. I don't remember trying one as an e-book. I had some more of yesterday's Salisbury Steak meat ball recipe for lunch today :) Enjoy Mama Mia tonight!

Janet , I am glad to hear Mr Linus is eating. Your cats have cute names. I like the name O'Bonnie. I just have a black lab mix named Gertie that was found wandering the streets when she was a couple of months old. She is now 4 years old. We love her a lot and she gives us lots of laughs. She is my workout partner in the mornings. I am Diane Sue ? It takes awhile to get the names all down. I wrote them down as I figured out who they are till I could remember.

Valerie, I have tried some of the other colors of beets and felt like the beet flavor was missing. I guess that would be because I have only eaten red beets all of my life. I felt the same way with the rainbow carrots. The white carrots could almost be confused for a parsnip other than taste. It is nice though that the other colors of beets don't bleed out all of that red.

Carolyn, I have not been to a salon in so long. I always worry that I am going to have to go home and try to fix what they have done to it. I have had a couple of stylists that I trusted to be able to walk out and not need to go home before I hit my other errands. Unfortunately one of them was going to nursing school and finally graduated. The other, it was a personality thing, I just could not deal with it. I was left with him and another guy in this warehouse type salon while they talked about some book that was obscene and I couldn't go back again. I was so happy when he was done cutting my hair. My husband cuts it for me and I color it. Well, the other day I tried to do a youtube haircut on myself. I ended up having my husband stop his work on the room addition so he could straighten it out. It looks fine now though? I won't be trying that again. It looked easy enough at first. I had to go to the store when I got my spiralizer attachment too. The only thing I had to try it on at first was potatoes. I may try it for a hassleback potato for my husband for dinner.

Lori, that is a good looking workout combo. Nice job on the 30#. I have picked up my barbell before and not realized it was loaded heavier than I thought until I completed the workout. I love apple and berry pie. Lots of cinnamon in the apple pie. Yum!! I heard that Build and Burn was on pre-order on Amazon. I really do like that workout set. That is an excellent price.

Diane Sue-I do have the second Athletic Conditioning and I like it too.

Janet-your cats have cute names! I'm glad that Mr. Linus is eating again. I love ginger tabbies too. Our current kitties are Chino and Shadow. They are both about 4 years old. In 2013 we lost our 2 senior kitties, Misty & Tiger. Then we adopted a kitten, Echo, and we lost her to FIP in early 2014, when she was about 9 months old. It is so heartbreaking to lose them.

Lori- Thanks! Great job with the pullovers! The most I've done is 25 lbs. I noticed the KCM preorder on Amazon too. I think you will like the workouts.

I am really far behind. My week away at meetings has been a whirlwind. I fly home tomorrow morning :) I have been consistent with workouts this week at least. A run and some upper body in the hotel gym yesterday and Travelfit tonight.
Your cats sound gorgeous. We got a blue healer puppy a couple of weeks ago. It’s like living with a belligerent drunk- she bites at your feet continuously, pees, then passes out. The chihuahua is horrified. Hopefully she will calm down with time.
I will try to keep up on posts a little better- although I am away again next week :(

Melanie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.