Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/14

Deb, I was thinking about clearing the cache. I tried IE and Google Chrome. I was thinking this morning that I had something like that happen before, but cannot remember what I did yo get it back working. Maybe you could just do a different ab workout or just do the exercises you want to , like maybe the loop stuff?

Diane Sue, Yeah, I think the next time the Ab Bonus is on the rotation, I will start it and just skip over the ones I can't do, rather than getting frustrated....There were a few that I liked, like the ones with the loop, like you mentioned...

Deb we have been told we can upgrade to Win 10. I know not everyone did well with it and some went back to 7. my system does not get a lot of complicated, fancy use.... mostly email, browsing, a little Word. we can go back to Win 7 and go thru a long upgrade process as an alternate. the way it is I can't get security upgrades anymore. we don't want it vulnerable. DH did the 7 upgrade with his and it took about 2 hours with one of those remote access things where they take over your computer. He has a photo program that can't handle Win 10 which is why we didn't upgrade them when it was free. for some reason he didn't want me to change mine either and I let it slide.
I also never could justify a stand mixer purchase. I didn't want to devote that much counter space either. I have a hand mixer that's always
been adequate. My mother had a big KA but she made cakes and cookies all the time. I never did that much dessert baking.

I also love Indian food but I have the fragrance issue. I can't get the smell out of my kitchen. I helped it by replacing the old kitchen exhaust fan but apparently I am very sensitive to curry fragrance. I love it... but I don't want to smell it for days after. no matter how careful and thorough I wash things, I can smell curry for days. I bought some pre made simmer sauces at Costco that are quite good and minimize cooking time and fragrance. so I can have curry occasionally. also DH doesn't like it. causes heartburn for him so when I want it I need to make something else for him.

a vision check this morning, then a Costco run on the way home.

Today I did Fit Split Boxing Bootcamp for 35 minutes and 282 calories. My average heart rate was 136 and maximum heart rate 165.

Deb, I’m sorry that the Bonus Abs workout is so frustrating for you. I do fewer reps for some of the more challenging moves with the sliding discs. You can do a different version of the exercises that you don’t like or just skip them. Personally I don’t like to stop and put on another dvd for Abs unless I have planned it that way in advance.

Diane Sue, I’m sorry that you are having computer issues. I have no suggestions beyond clearing the cache. I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 when it was free. I know that many people resisted the upgrade but I didn’t have many problems with it working. My HP printer was a problem for a while, but that has been sorted out.

Valerie, I don’t blame you for not wanting a stand mixer if you don’t bake much. They do take up a lot of space.

This morning I went for a massage. It felt so good! I have been wanting to go for a while but just didn’t get around to it. I need to add it to my calendar on a recurring basis.

Hello to Lori and Judy. Have a good afternoon everyone.

I used to make a lot of bread and could have used it to knead but I didn't want the lost of counter space compared to how much id use it.

I know one of you has mentioned cauliflower rice before.. diane sue, is it you? I bought a bag of it this morning. I like cauliflower and I know there's lots of recipes for it, but can you say what your favorite way to use it is?

Today I did Fit Split Mixed Impact Cardio 29 minutes, 198 calories, average heart rate 131, max 161, 2,680 steps. I then did Fit Split Bonus abs, 13 minutes, 65 calories, heart rate 111 average, 141 max. I decided to get in more cardio so did Kelly's Body Design cardio boot camp segment, 12 minutes, heart rate average 131, max 169, 78 calories, 1,238 steps. I finished off with Sarah Beth Yoga on You Tube scoliosis workout, 20 minutes, 44 calories. It helped my back which was bothering me enough when I woke this morning that it was a trial trying to stand up. I don't know what made it hurt so much. I like Sarah Beth's yoga. No rush and she gives good form pointers, the poses today were held a bit longer which was nice. She helped me keep my alignment. Total time today was 74 minutes and calories burned 385.

Valerie, I generally use the cauliflower rice as a base for dishes that would normally call for rise. Things like stir fries. Also, I will season it with garlic, salt and pepper, and top with a poached or fried egg. I make a mexican taco meat from Fixate Cookbook which is ground turkey breast ant put it over cauliflower rice with some avocado, diced tomato, and chopped kale, sometimes I add a bit of salsa, although with the jalapeno and adobo pepper and sauce, I don't really need the salsa. I generally make my own by putting it through the shredding attachment on my food processor and then heating a bit of oil in a skillet and cooking it while stirring so it doesn't brown for about 6 minutes. Then I put it in containers and freeze what I am not going to use soon.
I have not problem with my Windows 7 Lenovo as yet. I use it mainly for workout stuff though.

Carolyn, I think it is odd that the bonus abs are not on all of the workouts. I have to keep reminding myself which disc it is on in the Fit Split. Doing it with Mixed Impact required me to switch discs to do it. I did clear the cache and it did nothing. Then I remembered when it happened before that I switched browsers. It works with IE. Go figure that that would work when I have pretty much switched to Google Chrome which I feel is a lot more privacy invasive. Did you have to buy new programs when you switched to windows 10? My husband got a new laptop and he has had so much trouble with his programs not working, not being able to use Adobe anymore, his power point wouldn't play for a meeting he was doing and I had to take him the thumb drive. I know that had something to do with Microsoft and a password he never set up and it was requiring internet which was not available. Technology is far too frustrating and a constant learning process. Lori, is the only one I know who seems to find it easy :)

Oh, and something I have discovered about downloading my cookbooks is that with them I can copy and paste the ingredients into my fitness pal instead of typing each individual ingredient in. Also, I have the book available on my Kindle app when I am at the store and need to know some ingredients. I guess for that download may be better than the book. Although I like having the book to browse and find it easier to use the index on the real book.

Last edited:
Good evening ladies!

I started the FS/Xtrain rotation yesterday and did FS Boxing and the FS legs. First time I did the FS legs and wow it really worked me good! This morning I bounced to SB and Bellicon. Tonight was Xtrain Bis and Tris. It has been a while since I have done a heavier weight rotation. I kept up better than what I expected and was impressed with the weight I chose. :) I am going to enjoy this rotation. I loved the xtrain workouts and will be nice to be doing them again mixed in with newer workouts.

Valerie...wood chopping must have been exhausting! Years ago we would have a cord of wood delivered and we would have to stack. Oh I hated it so much. Can’t imagine chopping it too! Nice ride yesterday! I have a bread machine. Does that count as making bread? :p

Diane Sue...I have never used the workout manager. I checked it out a while ago but never used it. Skillet Butter Chicken sounds delicious! Great variety in your workout today. I remember Cather asking about a certain premix and if she did this the core would not be on all the dvds. Thought it was a total body premix I could be wrong though. I did not purchase the dvds so do not know if there is such a premix. That is awesome using your kindle app at the grocery store! I have a few kindle cookbooks that I love.

Deb...mixed impact is up for tomorrow. I have no desire to do the ab workout. Do not see myself doing it ever!! I will sub in something else. I actually like the Fit Tower core workout so perhaps this will be what I do in its place. Glad to hear your friend is feeling better.

Carolyn...a massage sounds lovely! Jengolf is such an inspiration.

Have a great night all!

Lori, the bonus abs on Fit Split is only on Boxing Bootcamp/legs glutes and their are premixes with it in them. I remember Cathe addressing space to put the premixes and have the abs too. I don't think that it seems like there is that many premixes for the 13 minute ab workout to make a difference. I guess they are the ones that know how much space they have though. I used to have to go back and remind myself which dvds in X train had the abs too. Fit Split abs seems like they could be pretty effective. It is hard on my wrists though. I sat and watched a bit more as Cathe did some of the moves and I was doing them differently and making them much harder than they needed to be. I am getting the hang of them and it doesn't seem quite so bad. Still, I am not looking forward to them. It really seems that the plank work would be better for the back and neck. My shoulders get tired along with my wrists and feel it though.
I keep hearing everyone talking about Jen Golf and To Lazy for the Gym and have no clue who it is.

I have a bread machine and have not used it in maybe 6 years. I store it in the garage on the shelving. My husband would like to get rid of that and the ice cream freezer and I keep telling him I might use it sometime. I did have a big rotisserie as well, but I think I got rid of it. No space in my kitchen. I keep thinking I should try making some no grain or gluten free bread sometime. The only thing is, I would probably eat too much of it so I hold back. If I do a whole 30 again I won't be eating it anyway. I am not sure if I will do it or not though. I need to finish off the greek yogurt and a few things before I think about doing it.

Hi Everyone,

Yesterday I did Walk Strong 3 Deep Stretch, then Walk On- Stronger Knees (20 minute bonus routine) and a 10 minute chair stretch. I'm planning on doing Ramped Up Upper Body today. Last night a little after 8 pm we had a meteor shower that caused a minor earthquake. I saw a bright flash and then heard what sounded like very loud thunder. I didn't know what it was until I started seeing all the posts and photos on FB.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/head-of-astronomy-at-cranbrook-believes-meteor-landed-near-mount-clemens

Reactions: WD
Good morning,

I had my annual physical appointment at 7:45 am this morning, so I am getting here a little late for me. No workout today, I decided that earlier. Keegan has something going on with his legs or back....taking him to the vet this afternoon. He can't get up on things, having problems with stairs, and if we try to pick him up to help him, he cries out in pain. :(.

Valerie, I am one of the ones that did not have luck with Windows 10. I had the Microsoft tech take it off and put 8.1 back on my computer. I love Indian food but rarely make it at home. Not the smell, just the work. We have a great place right near us that does a wonderful lunch buffet. I like a little taste of a lot of different things.

Carolyn, Good for you for getting that massage. :). Like Diane mentioned, there is one day in the 30 day FS only rotation that has the Bonus Abs after the workout, but it is not on that disk for some reason. Yes, those mixers take up a lot of counter space which we don't have. I would have to keep it in the basement, and I know that if it is down there, I would rarely use it.

Diane Sue, great combinations of workouts! Nice that the yoga helped your back. I use my food processor to make cauliflower rice, which I use as one of the rotating vegetable in the dog's food. It comes our great. That is funny that it would work with a different browser, but whatever works right? Being able to download the ingredients from your cookbooks to MFP is a real timesaver! :) No yogurt allowed on Whole 30?

Lori, yes the FS Legs & Glutes workout really gets in there good. I was thinking of starting the FS/xTrain rotation this weekend. I may have to "slip" some Live workouts in there somewhere. I went over to the Fit Tower workout on the site and looked at the core work again. I may sub that in for the next time the Bonus Abs is up for FS.

Judy, that meteor was amazing! Did they say where it actually landed? no damage or injuries?

Take care,

My workout is done, Fit Split Mixed Impact/Pull Day, 67 minutes (with extra for writing and equipment changes) , heart rate average 117, max 164, 392 calories, 3045 steps. I used the weight increment that came up on calories burned and is 5.3 Met according to the Workout manager. The reason I did this is when I did Mixed impact by itself I had 198 calories, when I did Pull by itself I had 203 calories and this would be 401 calories. Fit Bit had me at 264 calories total. It just does not get Weight work correct. Map My Fitness had me at 419 and the Workout manager has this workout at 8 met at 530 calories. (I wish) Anyway, I went with the in between burn because I felt it the most accurate. I get a bit obsessive about the discrepancies.

Deb, I am so sorry that Keegan is not doing well. I hope there is something that the vet can do. I had not thought of giving Gertie cauliflower rice as her veggie. The only thing dairy allowed in Whole 30 is clarified butter/ ghee. Dairy is inflammatory. Whole 30 is supposed to help address health issues. It is also one of the worst things as far as acid in the system.

Judy, thanks for the link for to lazy for the gym. Someone else gave it to me yesterday as well so I could read her review on Walk Strong e. I bet that meteor shower was startling. I will have to look at the link when I go downstairs. It takes a long time for this older laptop to pull things up.

I did 10 minutes on the elliptical as a warm up, the MM triceps and icy core. intended on doing the Bblast but got too close to dinner and had to skip. my fault, did not allow enough time.

Deb Hope Keegan is OK. Indian food is challenging with spices and other ingredients. I like it a lot but I like it spicy hot. DH of course, wants no part of it. I always need to make him something different. Other s having problems was another reason why we didn't go to Win 10, but with all the little video pop ups, Win 7 is getting locked up all the time. we will try 10 and see how it goes.

this will be my first try at cauliflower rice. Cauliflower has a strong strong smell, especially cooked. I like it for the vegetable it is. there is no way it would pass for rice for me in a stir fry. or Mexican. diane sue I went back and re read your post. Can't you smell the cauliflower scent over all the others? I always believed I had a poor sense of smell but maybe not! I love cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, kale, but wow. they have such a strong, distinctive smell both raw and cooked. I love cabbage in salads but not cooked.... too many childhood memories of my grandmother making sauerkraut. OMG awful stuff. I could smell it from several houses away coming home from school. the whole house reeked of cooked cabbage for weeks. besides, I love rice especially basmati.

Lori we have about 4 cords of wood right now. DH cuts down a tree into large rounds and then we split it and stack it. after it's dry we load the wood, ( late summer) into the back of our truck and drive it up hill to our wood shed and unload it and re stack it. we end up moving the entire tree multiple times. these are mostly large cedars. it is a lot of work but its strangely satisfying. DH is better at wood splitting than I am but I would put a lot of men to shame.

I have a bread machine but without sandwiches for lunch every day, we don't eat enough bread for me to bake regularly. I used to bake all kinds of bread. I used the bread machine to do some of the kneading but then finished it 'manually". I didn't like the texture of bread completely made in a bread machine. I still use it to make focaccia or other specialty breads. used to make french bread regularly. now that I would eat too much of!

Judy what a light show that was with the meteor. wow.

Today I did Fit Split Legs and Glutes plus Bonus Abs. My time was 58 minutes with 253 calories burned. Average heart rate was 107 and maximum heart rate 151. I followed that with Barre Amped Relaxation Stretch for 14 minutes.

Diane Sue jengollf is a cathlete who posts on some other threads of the forum. She has that amazing blog where she keeps track of and reviews her many, many workouts. She’s so thorough in her reviews. The post that I mentioned last week was in open discussion where she talked about her injuries from a car accident and her struggle to get back to her normal life.

Lori, the Fit Split and X Train rotation looks great. I like the idea of mixing up the two programs and X Train is a favorite of mine.

Deb, the Fit Tower Abs workout would be a good one to use. The Whole 30 is similar to the cleanse programs that I have done with the NGs. You eliminate many foods for a period of time then gradually add things back. You probably did some version of that when you were working on your health concerns.

Hello to Valerie and Judy.

This morning I did Ramped Up Upper Body, the premix that has the bonus ab workout mixed in. I also did a 30 minute Jessica Smith walk.

Deb-I'm sorry about Keegan :( I hope he is ok. They think pieces of the meteor may have landed near Mount Clemens, about 45 miles north of where we live. So far I haven't heard of any injuries or damage caused by it.

Diane Sue-Jenn did a very good write up on Walk Strong 3. I use her reviews often. She is so thorough with them. The meteor was startling. I wish I could have seen more, but from where I was it just looked like bright lightening.

Valerie-we upgraded our main computers to Win 10 when it first came out and haven't had too many problems with it. I have an older laptop that still has Win 7 and I don't plan on changing that. I don't use it a lot but I like to have it as a back up.

Carolyn-I really need to schedule a massage too. It's been several months since I've gone. I might try to get one next week.

Lori-Great job with the FS/Xtrain rotation workouts! I really like the Fit Tower core workout too. I may also sub that one in when I start doing the FS workouts.

Judy, the videos of the meteor shower I rather cool looking. I bet some people were really frightened though. I will have to read more of Jenn;s reviews.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was FS Mixed Cardio. Not sure how I feel about this one. I liked it but was not a favorite. It was really short too. When it ended I felt like I needed more so I did a quick 10min Lekfit bounce to finish the cardio off. I then did FT core instead of FS. No workout tonight. Felt I did enough.

Deb...Oh I hope Keegan is feeling better. I am going to enjoy this rotation and will need to sub in a live or bounce here and there. Speaking of Live sounds like Cathe is doing a kickbox workout tomorrow. I most likely will never cancel!

Diane Sue... good for you continuing on with the FS abs. I reviewed it once and knew instantly it was not for me. Jengollf is amazing and is a huge Cathe fan. I have been following her for a few years now. She was in a check in when I was doing STS and she mentioned her accident. Amazing how far she has come. She truly is an inspiration and I love her blog.

Judy...that is crazy a meteor shower! I watched the link and wow! I liked that premix with the abs throughout.

Carolyn...and kudos to you for also tackling FS abs!! Very nice! Xtrain is a favorite of mine too. I did the workouts many times and then stopped them. It is nice to come back.

Valerie...I have no doubt you would but some to shame with your wood cutting. Unbelievable! I love cauliflower rice and eat it pretty much everyday at lunch. My bread machine is 24 years old. I bought it in 1994 and it still works. Sometimes I make it at night, set the timer and we wake up to that wonderful smell of bread baking. Delicious!

Have a wonderful evening all!

I did Low impact sweat, M Meltdown back, and icy core 2, except for a few side planks. I had to pace down the LIS by pausing often. I was not feeling very well today and didn't sleep last night. it was hard today but I did it all, mainly slowed the pace by pausing between exercises. got really tired and out of breath.

the cauliflower rice didn't go over well. I made it in a "pilaf' recipe with garlic, olive oil, sliced almonds. DH didn't like it, wouldn't eat it. I thought it was OK, barely, but not good. I did not like the texture at all. funny, because I like cauliflower a lot but not in this. there is no way I could sub this for rice. it's a big bag, not thinking of any use right now. maybe into a soup so I could puree the whole thing. I love roasted cauliflowe. r

we looked at my computer more carefully and decided we will against win 10. will try to get Microsoft to fix the problem that won't allow it to update. DH did his last week. If I go to10, I will lose most of the programs I use on it and all the documents, so staying with 7 until the whole thing dies is better.

Valerie, yes, when I make the cauliflower rice I have commented to my husband that now the house stinks. There are certain foods that I love to eat, but really stink. Kale can stink. I think strawberries kind of stink. Particularly when I am shut up in the car with them. I have made mashed cauliflower and potatoes for dishes and it has a lot less of the cauliflower taste. I love cauliflower though. Broccoli, needs help when I eat it. It has to be in a salad with other things or cooked with some seasoning of sorts.

Carolyn, I thanks, I will have to go look for that post. BTW we are all Cathletes? What does that mean? LOL you can tell I don't pay much attention. I just get on here and chatter :)

Lori, the Mixed Impact workout is very short. I used my rebounder for about half of it today and kept bouncing a bit longer after each blast. I even used the edge of it for the burpee to up starter move. That way I did not go all of the way to the floor. I got a few more calories with it today than I did yesterday as even without the cool down I was higher. ( I checked before I went on to the weight section) I really prefer monitoring the weights and the cardio separately for more accurate readings. I have had my bread machine for about 17 years. My son bought it for me. He likes cooking and creating different things in the kitchen. He is great at cake decorating.

Valerie, I was wondering with it being the frozen cauliflower rice. When I make my own, I barely cook it. It still has texture and is not mushy. I did not like frozen riced sweet potatoes either. They are mushy and I wish I had not mixed them with my home cooked cauliflower rice. This is the first time I have tried purchasing frozen in these items. I doubt I will buy again. Don't give up and try it fresh and do not overcook. A little oil and stir it around in the skillet. I like adding pepper, salt and garlic. Soup or mashed would be my suggestion. I bought a bag of broccoli and cauliflower riced at Walmart. I am a little worried about how that will taste.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.