Pentagenarians & Beyond: W/B 1/14

Good morning,

No workout yesterday. With my DR appointment and Keegan's vet appointment, I decided to make it a rest day. Keegan did something to a disk in his back...it showed up in an x-ray. He got a shot for pain and some meds to alleviate the inflammation. This seems to have worked, but it is not a cure. We will have to see what happens further, and figure out a maintenance plan. My vet has studied both western and eastern veterinary medicine, he does acupuncture, and said that may be something we can do to maintain, depending on how he is after meds are done.

Diane Sue, Those are pretty different calorie burn measurements. Did you mean that dairy is the worst thing for acid in the system? I downloaded the Whole 30 Fast & Easy from the library on to my Nook. The recipes look very interesting. I really like that blog...she also has rotations on there....eg she has a couple rotations for the Cathe Live workouts. I did not know about her accident and how she has recovered. Amazing.

Valerie, I hope you are feeling better today....As for WIN 10, good that you reviewed it carefully, it would be a shame to not be able to use current programs. Usually if you upgrade, you can access documents from a lower version, but not the opposite. That is too bad about the cauliflower rice. Soup would be a good place to use it up.

Judy, a massage sounds great. Especially the hot blanket part. :). The place we go to ( where I get a facial, not a massage), has heated tables....oh in this weather that feels so good.

Carolyn, good job on the workouts! Yes, I did a program with the NG's in 2014 (forgot what it was called) that was a 3 week program where you eliminated all the things that are eliminated in the Whole 30 program. I also did it for my digestive issues, but it did not really work for that.

Lori, LOL on canceling Live....I can understand. I hope I like the cardio from FS the more I do them. As long as I can modify, I am happy. Some moves like those box jumping ones are almost impossible to modify. Cathe was on the forum the other day and Aqua Girl asked her for a modification for that move. What she typed did not make any sense to me. :(. What is your favorite bread for your bread maker? Mine was spelt...great for toast but not good for sandwiches.

A workout, then staying in. It really windy and cold. If it starts snowing we will be in a blizzard. John has his consultation with the surgeon to have that spot removed.

Take care,

Good morning, I am enjoying reading all of your posts. I’m sorry I’m not posting a lot yet, but I have a sick cat that has been taking up a lot of my attention. I have managed to get started on the ICE rotation 1 this week. I did the upper body and the “to the mat” I am so weak with bridges / planks / push-ups, I feel like I just need to stay on the floor for the next two months to build up my ability to hold my own body weight. I’m the cardio and HIIT queen, which is great for calorie burn and stress relief but not so much for strength. I’m 5’11” with really long legs and rather large feet, all those leg lifts and bridges just are not fair! haha [emoji38]

Question: does anyone own the “fit tower” that looks very intriguing.. Does it ever go on sale? [emoji5]

ETA: I just ordered the Fit Tower after doing some research, I ordered directly from her site. It was 20% off and I found a 10% off coupon which took an additional $19.99 off. I ordered the weight clips. I also found her Fit Tower Advanced user guide. I am going to love the 90 day low impact rotation. I think I just found my ticket to fitness!!! So excited!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi girls, I don't mean to "butt in" on your thread, but I wanted to let fox2star know that although I appreciated the
Modifications that Cathe suggested for the squats in a box jumps on the floor, it wasn't exactly what I was looking
For either! :). Actually, fox2star, the "zig zag box" does work for that particular move and you are still making a
Box, so to speak. When they do the 2 slow jacks, I just a right low jack and a left low jack, then go on with the
Left zig zag box, etc. just wanted to let you know. I have to modify most everything that is jumping, so I know
What you are saying.

Anyway, just wanted to try and help, and again, I apologize for butting in here, but I saw the above post and
Wanted to let you know. Hope everyone has a glorious day.

AtlantaJJ-I'm sorry about your sick cat :( I know how time consuming it can be to take care of them when they are ill. I went through that a few years ago and it was difficult. I hope your cat will be ok. I think you will really like the Fit Tower.

Today was Fit Split Shred Cardio and Push Day. My workout time was 1 hour 5 minutes with 361 calories burned. My average heart rate was 118 and maximum heart rate 144. I used a 6 inch step for the cardio with some low impact modifications.

Atlanta JJ, you will love the Fit Tower and the workouts. You will have both the beginner and advanced workouts to choose from. I have the original turbo tower and it works fine.

Valerie, I agree with a Diane Sue about the frozen cauliflower rice. I shred my own in the food processor and sauté it lightly in olive oil. I find that many frozen vegetables have a mushy texture that I don’t like.

Deb, I miss Cathe Live even though I wasn’t using it much. I will probably subscribe again in a few months.

Lori, I bought my bread machine in 1994 too. I still use it occasionally when I want homemade bread without the time commitment. I like it for those days that I eat toast.

Diane Sue, I don’t remember where I read it on the site, but Cathlete refers to how active a person is on the forums. You may notice that new members are just listed as “member”. After a certain number of posts you become an “active member”. After you post a higher number of times you become a Cathlete. I was a “member” for many years because I rarely posted anything.

Judy, schedule a massage if you can. It really helps with sore tight muscles. I hope to do it on a regular basis.

Enjoy your day everyone.

Today I did Boxing Boot Camp scrambled #1 double it, 52 minutes, 121 average, 155 max heart rate, 342 calories, 4,701 steps. I then did another youtube Sarah Beth Yoga, 30 minute, morning yoga, 29 minutes, 48 calories. Total time was 83 minutes, calories burned 390.

Deb, there are some places that say that dairy does not make a difference, but many still say to avoid dairy as it creates acid. I think some of it is how the body processes it. My acid/ alkaline diet list had you able to eat it, but not within 2 hours of anything else. It was to be eaten alone. Which meant no cheese on other food or additions to the dairy you eat, which to me made it not so desirable. Also there is the issue of lactose intolerance. I believe the lactose is one of the other reasons it is not on Whole 30. Poor Keegan, I hope he gets to feeling better and not have to go through too much stuff. I have never heard of giving dogs acupuncture, I am not surprised though. I checked out out her blog and read the thread where she talks about the accident. Her workouts and rotations are impressive. That is great that you were able to download the book from your library. I wish our library carried more books and videos that were current. They carry mostly older stuff. In fact they changed digital magazine loans to another digital company instead of Zinio and now they are older copies. I used to be able to get magazines that were still in the stores before. Also there is not near as good of a selection,

Atlanta JJ, I am sorry that your cat is not doing well. It is tough when our pets are not well. I have the Fit Tower and like it. I haven't used the clips a lot though. The only one I have really used them with is the Total Body Advanced Fit Tower Workout. Some day maybe I will do STS mesocycle 3 again and use the clips on the tower more.

Aqua Girl, the zig zag walk move does sound like a good option for the hop in a box. Thank you :)

This was fresh cauliflower rice. I didn't cook it too long. it was supposed to be a "pilaf" type side dish with a little garlic and sautéed in olive oil. a little cilantro and sliced almonds for color and texture. I didn't care for it, thought it was flavorless, bland. DH really didn't like it. I served it with a tostado thinking a main dish was not a good thing to try it out. I remember making a cauliflower dish a few years ago where the cauliflower was pressed down and was supposed to be like a pizza crust. UGH. that didn't work for us either. I like cauliflower with tomato.... so will look at that as a way to use this constructively. roasting it with olive oil concentrates the flavor. I always enjoy that. I have no intention to eliminate carbs and was looking at it as new approach to a vegie we liked. mashing it like potatoes sounds like another pending failure to me. imitating another food you like is bound to cause unflattering comparisons. I try not to have preconceived ideas of what something will taste like. maybe that is what happened here..... it sure did not compare to rice anymore than the pressed version compared to pizza crust. I didn't tell DH what it was ahead of time, and it didn't matter to him, he thought it tasted bad. if I were gluten intolerant I might feel the need to try alternatives but I'm not.

Atlanta JJ I have a fit tower, the older version. unfortunately DH has taken it over and keeps a heavy barbell on it so I haven't used it in a while. I have to unload it to use it. I used it a lot when I was doing STS. Sorry to hear your kitty is sick. I lost my little guy back in October. I haven't gotten another yet. I have not been without a cat this long for a long time. I sure miss him.

Deb hope Keegan does OK. we are doing the Microsoft consult this morning and its been going for hours. fixing win 7 may not work so I may not have a choice about going to win 10.

Valerie, I have seen recipes where they added vegetables and onions to the cauliflower rice and a bit of chicken broth . That might lend more flavor. I just know it is not something that you want to over cook. My new book has some in soups. It still seems that would be mushy or sink to the bottom of the pan, but I could be wrong. I never expect something made out of cauliflower to taste like something else. I made cauliflower bread sticks once and liked them, but thought it was too much work and they had a lot of Parmesan cheese and garlic in them so that is probably why I liked them and I browned them well. I usually use the cauliflower rice, as I said, under a topping.

Good evening ladies,

This morning was Xtrain Chest, Back and Shoulders and I loved it. I did pretty good with weights, sometimes matching Cathe and sometimes less. She does pullovers on the ball with a 30lb dumbbell. With my shoulders no way could I do that! This was my only workout today.

Deb...oh poor Keegan. Glad the shot is giving some relief. I think it is great you may try acupuncture. Yes she is killing me with the great Live workouts! Going to try and do todays over the weekend. My favorite live kickboxing is Warrior Kickboxing. Hoping this one is as good. Sad to say I love plain white bread. I know it is the worst by I can’t help myself. One day I bought a loaf of multigrain when I was going away for a weekend with a girlfriend of mine. She was so impressed and asked if I bought it by mistake!! Lol! I love that Aqua Girl popped in. Hope the modifications she suggested work for you.

Atlantajj..I am so sorry to hear your kitty is not feeling well. I have the new fit tower and love it. I love the Advanced DVD’s and her live FT workouts. I have a small workout space and have to break it down when not in use but it is so easy to put back together. I have large feet but short in stature. 5’2 and size 9 shoe. I have my moms height and my dads feet!!!

Carolyn...my bread machine looks like R2D2 from the starwars movies! Which rotation are you following?

Diane Sue...the scrambled bootcamp sounds great. Great idea to use the rebounder for some of the mixed impact workout..next time it is up going to try it. When I use the rebounder in place of hi impact I really jump hard and really “rebound” into the trampoline. I feel it is just as great of a workout, but more fun and easier on the joints. :)

Valerie...I buy and love Green Giant Frozen Steamable Cauliflower Rice. I do not microwave in the bag I open bag and saute instead. I know you and everyone else is cringing right now that I buy and like it. For someone that hates to cook I should get an A for effort for not using the microwave to cook it! :) I always try and avoid the microwave whenever I can.

Hi to Judy and Melanie!

Lori, I threw in some tuck jumps and stuff before I got back off of the rebounder. It is hard to resist really jumping on it :) I like white bread if it is homemade, but if it is that soft stuff that takes months to mold we get at the grocery store, I am not a fan at all. I prefer bread with some substance to it if I am going to eat it.

Atlanta JJ, I am with Lori on how easy the Fit Tower is to take down. I have done that a lot and put it in my closet when I had grandchildren visiting so they didn't try to climb on top of it.

I ate the leftover cauliflower rice for lunch today. if it wasn't competing with other flavors it was Ok. not great, but OK. I will try something with more flavor for the rest of the bag. the tostado was too flavorful to pair with the very bland cauliflower.

DH spend all day on the phone with Microsoft and we never got anything resolved. will try again tomorrow but not hopefull my computer will be functional at all. really crappy customer service. our connected call got dropped at least 3x.

I did a Pedal Power spin today, about 1 hr. the regular spin. it was fine I think I like this one the best. music is OK, not overly loud and it as the count down timers. I don't look at them that much, I don't count down every second, but I miss them when they aren't there at all. It helps me keep going if I see there is 1.5 minutes left vs 3. helps me plan how much I can exert and not run out of juice.

Good morning,

Yesterday I did FS Pull Day...the weight only premix. Keegan is much better, amazing what some meds can do.

Atlantajj, I hope your cat is better..it is really stressful when they are sick. Good job on starting the ICE rotation. That is a great series. Although, "To the Mat" is not a favorite of mine, so I subbed something else when that was up in the rotation. I have the older Tower, and it worked fine for the Fit Tower workouts. The workouts that come with the Tower are a little easier than the Advanced ones that Cathe put out....but great to start with. It is such a different way to exercise. Did you also order the Advanced Tower DVD's?

Carolyn, great job on Shred Cardio....:).

Diane Sue, I gave up dairy when doing the NG program that Carolyn mentioned, and also when I was having the Acid reflux/GERD issues. It did not seem to make a difference for that situation. Yes, they do acupuncture for dogs. We also know of people that do acupressure, massage, and even chiropractic stuff. I would only go to my vet for acupuncture though. The E-version of the cookbook is okay to read, but there is no way to select a particular recipe from the table of contents...you have to scroll through the whole thing. I would never use one of these to actually cook.

Valerie, that it too bad about the Microsoft call....I hope it is resolved today. Good job on the spin workout. :).

Lori, Agree, the weight work in x-Train is really good. I just started using 2 DB's on pull overs...I always used only 1, and 20 lbs was the highest I did. Great that you matched Cathe's weights on some of the exercises.

Hi to Judy!

Take care,

Good morning,

Yesterday I did FS Pull Day...the weight only premix. Keegan is much better, amazing what some meds can do.

Atlantajj, I hope your cat is better..it is really stressful when they are sick. Good job on starting the ICE rotation. That is a great series. Although, "To the Mat" is not a favorite of mine, so I subbed something else when that was up in the rotation. I have the older Tower, and it worked fine for the Fit Tower workouts. The workouts that come with the Tower are a little easier than the Advanced ones that Cathe put out....but great to start with. It is such a different way to exercise. Did you also order the Advanced Tower DVD's?

Carolyn, great job on Shred Cardio....:).

Diane Sue, I gave up dairy when doing the NG program that Carolyn mentioned, and also when I was having the Acid reflux/GERD issues. It did not seem to make a difference for that situation. Yes, they do acupuncture for dogs. We also know of people that do acupressure, massage, and even chiropractic stuff. I would only go to my vet for acupuncture though. The E-version of the cookbook is okay to read, but there is no way to select a particular recipe from the table of contents...you have to scroll through the whole thing. I would never use one of these to actually cook.

Valerie, that it too bad about the Microsoft call....I hope it is resolved today. Good job on the spin workout. :).

Lori, Agree, the weight work in x-Train is really good. I just started using 2 DB's on pull overs...I always used only 1, and 20 lbs was the highest I did. Great that you matched Cathe's weights on some of the exercises.

Hi to Judy!

Take care,

Good morning Fox2Star! Linus is doing much better, he’s eating and I have him on low dose insulin for right now, so looks like we are coming out of the woods for now.

I am an OnDemand and Cathe Live subscriber so I have access to all of her content (yay!)

I have some DOMS from that To the Mat workout, I don’t love it, but it’s hitting me in all the right spots, if you know what I mean. I see Cathe has a Glutes and Legs workout for the Fit Tower and she has a Fit Tower rotation that includes ICE which seems like a perfect combo for me to hang out with over the next 90 days or so. That’s why I decided to make the purchase yesterday. Thanks so much for responding!

The other funny thing about me is that I’m not the most punctual person in the world. So I have myself on a schedule now. I have to get dressed for my workout, it’s 5:30 am. Pray for me! I love to linger around in the mornings after my workouts which makes me late for work. LOL [emoji13]

DH is back on the phone with Microsoft this morning working on my system not sure where this wll end up.using DH's computer and his keyboard is slightly different and his desk chair is too low. sitting on a big package of paper and a huge book and still barely high enough to type

Atlanta jj I'm so glad I don't have to get up that early anymore. I often get up but don't work out until later. I hated those early am forced sessions. I prefer afternoons now often the hour or so before dinner because it keeps me out of the kitchen and snacking while cooking.
I agree on those barre workouts. I have (unfortunately) large legs and those workouts kill me. I seldom do them. Developed bursitis in one hip after my last attempts so have ignored them since. your kitty has diabetes? I'm working mostly on the ICE series right now with some spins stuck in there for variety. I again got sore from doing the MM for back. I think it's the dead lifts that I'm doing correctly for the first time

Deb glad Keegan improved so much. hope it's successful in the long run. I would not be happy giving up dairy. I sure like my nonfat milk, yogurt, assorted cheese. with WW I'm not getting as much as I used to. dairy always has a good shot of protein which a lot of the substitute milks don't have. I love almond milk on oatmeal but other than that I use dairy. unless you are lactose intolerant I can see no reason not to.

diane sue you are right... cauliflower tastes like cauliflower. maybe mixed with some chopped steamed kale? or by itself with a sprinkle of parm. I don't give up that easily and I want to find some ways I will enjoy it. even the pilaf version was not bad by itself, just not as a side dish for mexican.

Last edited:
Today I did Build and Burn Cardio Core for 27 minutes and 180 calories burned. Average heart rate was 125 and maximum heart rate 147. After that I did WS3 Barefoot Cardio Core for 32 minutes and 165 calories. My average heart rate with that was 118 and maximum heart rate 140. Total calories burned for my workout was 345. Because I switch the off day in the Fit Split rotation today should have been Mixed Impact Cardio again with Bones Abs. I didn’t want to do either of those for a second time this week so I chose something else that gave me cardio and core.

Valerie, I’m glad that you found a way to eat your cauliflower rice. I don’t aim for gluten free but I do try to get more vegetables in our day. I have learned to be creative with that and I am always looking for new recipes. My husband now eats and enjoys many vegetables that he wouldn’t touch before.

Lori, I am doing the January rotation with Fit Split only but I keep Sunday as my rest day. That causes me to make some adjustments to the rotation. There’s nothing wrong with using frozen vegetables as a short cut. I used them a lot when I was still working. They helped me get a meal ready quickly.

Deb, I don’t care for cookbooks in electronic format either. I need to be able to manipulate the book and browse through the recipes. I actually like Shred Cardio but of course I modify when necessary. That doesn’t take away from my enjoyment.

Hello to Diane Sue, Judy, and Atlanta JJ. Enjoy your day everyone.

Lori, I threw in some tuck jumps and stuff before I got back off of the rebounder. It is hard to resist really jumping on it :) I like white bread if it is homemade, but if it is that soft stuff that takes months to mold we get at the grocery store, I am not a fan at all. I prefer bread with some substance to it if I am going to eat it.

Atlanta JJ, I am with Lori on how easy the Fit Tower is to take down. I have done that a lot and put it in my closet when I had grandchildren visiting so they didn't try to climb on top of it.
I'm glad it's easy to take down. I might find a corner to stick it in and take it down to store when company comes over.

Dh has been working on my computer to get it updated, and I had the zero point food list printed out on my desk.. he had not noticed it before, looked at it, and said "this is all we ever eat!" well not quite... but this is easier for me than the old point program.

Carolyn congratulations on expanding your choices. we also eat a lot more variety of vegies now. I have not been successful at beets. I found some in a shrink pack that were marinated in white wine that I liked a lot but can't find them anymore. or parsnips . otherwise I like most depending on how they're prepared. there is usually a good way... it can be a lot of trial and error. I have issues with sweeter vegies, like the beet. DH did not like them even in the vinegar.

I agree on the electronic cook books. I don't want my screens anywhere near the kitchen. I print everything. if it's a keeper, it goes in a clear page protector. I'm not that messy a cook, but just a few drops of water on the countertop will "do in" a recipe. I have veered away from buying actual books and get a lot of things from various blogs and on line magazine information. I get daily reminders from Eating Well magazine. usually they link to things already published but it's so hard to keep track of things in magazines if you don't make them when you first see them. these are good reminders of things I wanted to try but slipped up.

Last edited:
Today, I did Fit Split Bootcamp/ legs glutes timesaver mix 4 which was on the schedule, Legs and glutes + abs, 56 minutes, heart rate 108 average, max 163, 276 calories, 1,976 steps. I also did Kelly Coffey's Athletic Conditioning 1 workout 2, stretch, 25 minutes, 47 calories. Total time 81 minutes, 323 calories.
weights step is high step with 3 risers
deadlift 30#dbs 12 reps
squats 30# dbs 12 reps
rear lunge off the step 15# dbs hard to count with all of the pulses and single lifts
forward diagonal lunge 15# dbs 16 reps
push dips off the step 15# dbs 13 reps and 3 sets of 7 pulses ??
deadlift 30# dbs 12 reps
cross back slide lunge 15# dbs 7,7,3,3,3,3, 15 pulses
slide side lunge 15# db
elevated lunges 15# dbs lots of pulses didn't count them
single leg deadlifts 20# db
I used my Kitchenaid spiralizer attachment yesterday to peel, slice and core apples for a pie. It took just a few short minutes to do 6 apples. I love it :) I trimmed the top and bottom the first two times and then realized I didn't even need to do that.

Carolyn, somehow I missed your post yesterday. Thanks for explaining the Cathlete to me. It is funny how there is so many things here I have not noticed. Nice job on Cardio Shred push yesterday. I have that one tomorrow. Today's workout with Build and Burn Cardio Core was a good substitute for mixed cardio and bonus abs from Fit Split.

Valerie, it is so frustrating hanging on the phone trying to get help and get cut off. I love beets. They are so much work to cook and messy to cut up. I finally resorted to scrubbing and roasting and throwing in the slow cooker, then rubbing the skins off. I like a them tossed into my salads with a non sweet dressing. I grew up eating them with just some butter and salt and pepper. I can peel and slice them with my new Kitchenaid appliance, but am worried about the mess. I may try it though. Your sitting in your husbands chair at his computer makes me think of how I feel when I get in my husbands car or mine after he uses it. I suddenly feel like I have sat down in a hole and am trying to peer over the dash. I don't care for just plain milk. My husband drinks it all of the time and it seems gross to me. A bit of cream in my coffee or organic sour cream as a topping and some plain yogurt is the dairy I will use. I am trying to cut back on that cream though. My Fitness Pal gave me my weekly report and I had used 1200 calories in cream alone. I think that needs to stop when I look at it that way.

Deb, I am glad to hear that Keegan is feeling better. I have no problem with the Whole 30 Cookbooks that I have on my Kindle app. I just hit contents and pick which chapter, like poultry and the recipes are listed. Then I click on the recipe. Things I repeatedly use, like salad dressings I bookmark so I just click on note book and it will take me to those things I have saved. I do have some of the downloaded cookbooks that are harder to manipulate to find specific recipes. Performance Paleo is one, I can go to specifics like sauces and dressings, proteins, but then once I get there I have to flip pages. I suppose I would have to do that with a physical cookbook as well. It is just that some are easier than others. I just do not have places where stacking my cookbooks is convenient for just grabbing on. I have cookbooks upstairs, cookbooks in a huge catch all cabinet in the dining area, and a few in my laundry cabinet/ pantry (shelves above the washer and dryer) I have not found a way to make it convenient. Looking up on my tablet and using it is easiest.

Atlanta JJ , I used to get up and immediately workout before my work day started when I did daycare. I would have to run children to school. I am so happy that now I can sit and read for a couple of hours and take my time to fully wake up before I workout. I still try to leave the computer off though till I am all showered and back together. I can get involved in something on the computer and totally forget time. Prayers your way that this morning went well :)

I made the Salisbury Steak Meatball and Noodle Bowls from Whole 30 Fast and Easy. It was so good. I loved it. I will definitely be making it again :)

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.